Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Steering box reconditioning (TA22)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Supra1
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Sun, 26 September 2004 07:22 Go to next message
Hey all. Just wondering where I can get the steering box recoed on my TA22 in Victoria? Can I just take the car to a power steering place and what would the average cost be?

I have tightened it as much as possible but it has now become so sloppy that you can turn the steering wheel a 1/4 turn before anything happens.

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
Bradelz
Regular

June 2004
Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Sun, 26 September 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey supra1, what was wrong with your steering box, my steering box in my ms85 crown went because the pwr steering lines went into it, and something bursted it wasnt a good site Crying or Very Sad, try your nearest wreckers for a steering box.
brad
Supra1
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Sun, 26 September 2004 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's just basically worn out I think and has become as loose a the proverbial 2 cent lady of the night (If you get my meaning Shocked ) No power steering on this old lady either.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Sun, 26 September 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if a ra40 box will fit, then so will a mx62 cressida power steering box. do that, thats what i did to mine Cool . u would be better off getting one from the wreckers than recond. i would say. but what eva is cheaper.

brett

greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Sun, 26 September 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think its usually just some of the rubber bushes and shit that makes your steering go all floppy and worn-out feeling. odds are a box from the wreckers will be stuffed too or well on its way. try talking to a steering shop, no doubt they will help you out. who needs power steering anyway, just eat more spinach! Very Happy
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Sun, 26 September 2004 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, check the condition of idler arm, pitman arm, all tie rod ends. If the front end is generally floaty check control arm and radius beam bushes and ball joints.

If you're certain that the problem is the steering box, they can be rebuilt by Fulcrum Suspensions in Queensland. But if the gearing is worn (and it will be) then the 'rebuild' (changing seals, etc. and repacking) might not improve much.

I have heard that the worm gears, etc. are no longer available and will need to be machined up by an engineer at significant cost.

Hope this helps.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Sun, 26 September 2004 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These guys might be able to help:

http://www.fulcrumsuspensions.com.au/formula_produ cts_remanufactured_components.html
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Sun, 26 September 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I have heard that the worm gears, etc. are no longer available and will need to be machined up by an engineer at significant cost.

There is always the conversion to a rack and pinion. Sadly, in the '22 that's a major undertaking. Personally I'll be sticking with the existing box and getting it rebuilt.

Cheers,
Dan
Supra1
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Mon, 27 September 2004 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys. I am sure that the bushes in the front end will also need replacing and that is on the to do list as well but the steering box is definately stuffed. Will check a few steering places and see what they say.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Tue, 28 September 2004 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As said above, if the worm drive gears inside the steering box are worn, its custom machining to get them replaced. You will get a much better result from replacing your Idler and Pitman arms, and the rubber disk between the steering column and the steering box all the time. I tried to get the box from my RA23 rebuilt and no-one in Perth wanted to know me.
Cheers,
Mitch.
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Tue, 28 September 2004 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but you can get rebush kits for the steering boxes..

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Tue, 28 September 2004 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I had that problem, my worm and spider were worn and couldn't get them replaced. Think it was going to be close to $1000 to get custom made ones.

R&P setup ended up costing half that.
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Tue, 28 September 2004 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

R&P setup ended up costing half that.

How did you fabricate the bottom mount of the steering column? I remember seeing photos of your conversion, are they still around to look at?

Cheers,
Dan
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Tue, 28 September 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got some photos lying around...

http://members.optusnet.com.au/helenfitz/pictures/rack%20and%20pinion%20finished.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/helenfitz/pictures/enginebay.jpg

Originally I was using RA28 column with heaps of unis and rose joints etc.. but now its just a KE70 steering column that went in easy enough.
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Tue, 28 September 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess the question stems from the fact that the TA22 steering box forms the lower mounting point of the steering column. If you change the steering over to RaP then there has to be something substituted to anchor the bottom of the steering column so the unis don't bind up. Looking at the photo of the crossmember in your car I can't quite make out how the column is attached at the bottom. Given that you've used a KE70 column I have to assume, as I've never seen one, that its put together very differently from the original in the A22 or A28.

I've been over this with the engineer and his opinion is that to use the existing column, you have to fabricate a conical section in the firewall to brace the column. I'd sort of given up on the idea because it seemed like it was going to stretch the budget way beyond its limits... but approx $500 ain't too bad.

I must say that conversion looks particularly good on your car!

Cheers,
Dan
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Tue, 28 September 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah you are right in saying the original column was supported by the steering box.

Originally I pressed a bearing into the end of the column to support it, then had another rose joint around where the box was.

But now i've simplified it by putting the KE70 column in. These originally are R&P and the column is designed not to be supported by a steering box. They have bearings and bushes and stuff inside them.

I think from an engineering point of view it makes it a lot easier using KE70 column as its not as 'custom'.

To give an idea of prices...

KE70 steering column - $40
KE70 reconditioned rack - $190
Fabrication to Xmember - $80
New KE70 tie rods - $80

Bump steer is another thing to look at though.. TA22 might be different from RA28 but in the 28 you really need to either shorten the rack or move the control arm pivot points outbound.
Cheers
Joel
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Tue, 28 September 2004 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats a nice rack there joel Laughing

hey mate how you goiing with the rebuild?

dcleyne: i wouldnt say its complex to do the conversion. all you need is to weld a plate to the engine cross member as joel has done to pivot the rack and hold it in place. also i can see spacers to lift the rack to make it even and level with the steering arms on the control arms.

the only thing i can see as an issue would be the tie rod ends. if the original KE70s fit on to the standard '22 fitting then sweet, otherwise you would need to source a compatible one.

then you would need a rod (as pictured) to conect the steering column to rack with equivalent uni joints to suit. since joel used the KE70 one, then i would assume we could too.

im pretty sure that the wheel base and steering system of the TA22 and xA2x are the same. either way i am going to investigate joels conversion further for the '22 and mosty likely take his idea and use it for my '22 THANKS JOEL for all the leg work Laughing
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Tue, 28 September 2004 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fade-e , yeah you are right the spaces were used for adjustability to get the rack at the height I wanted.

I wasn't sure at first where the rack would sit best to reduce bump steer so kept it as adjustable blocks. I'm running smaller blocks now (6mm, instead of 16mm like in that picture), and eventually will probably have a more fixed setup welded in place instead of the alloy blocks.

The rebuild... Well the crank was sent away and crack tested etc and came back A-OK. Now the rods have been sent off to check for straightness. Fingers crossed one of these turn out to be bent because I want something to be wrong so I can fix it.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 September 2004 02:30]

dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: Steering box reconditioning (TA22) Tue, 28 September 2004 02:36 Go to previous message

That's excellent information. Thanks Joel!

Cheers,
Dan
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Rear Sway bar installation on st162
Next Topic:IJZ MKII Conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:41:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052750110626221 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.