Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
fully sick bro Sat, 25 September 2004 01:41 Go to next message
Went to my year twelve formal last night, anyways a guy that left our school in year ten turned up in a wicked GMC pickup, 20 inch mags Gen 3 V8 conversion with over 300Kw airbag suspension mad orangy broze paint job and massive system. This car had to have the nicest engine I have heard in yonks, clutch in blip the throttle and listen to that V8 roar, is undescribable how graet it sounded.

Pretty funny trying to see him trun around thoguh, over 5 m of pick up not that moneuverable in confined spaces.
  Send a private message to this user    
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: fully sick bro Sat, 25 September 2004 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where did he borrow/rent it from? Rolling Eyes
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: fully sick bro Sat, 25 September 2004 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who's stolen drug import did he sell off?

gen3 V8 sound good... BWAHAHHAA!! Laughing
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: fully sick bro Sat, 25 September 2004 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Sat, 25 September 2004 12:10

Where did he borrow/rent it from? Rolling Eyes

Nar his folks bought it for him Laughing
The v8's normally sound better then the tractor motors that us 4 bangers have to use and then it gets worse when a blow off valve is added
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: fully sick bro Sat, 25 September 2004 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He borrowed it off someone from his work or something like that. He works as a mechanics apprentice for a large workshop.
Man nothing beats a good V8 sound though a nice clean na four cylinders sound good too.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: fully sick bro Sun, 26 September 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about small high revving V8s, V10s and V12s?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: fully sick bro Sun, 26 September 2004 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but how ofetn do you actually hear them unless walking through the city and then they are only idling anyway, Im talking about engine notes that are attainable by the average joe. I wouldn't mind the sound of a ferrari but I don't see anyone willing do donate one to me.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: fully sick bro Sun, 26 September 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most gen 3's sound like crap
toyota and nissan quad cam v8's sound nice
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: fully sick bro Sun, 26 September 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wonder if he heard the engine note, or the piston slap?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: fully sick bro Sun, 26 September 2004 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
definaltely engine note, enough with the cheap jokes. Just can't hack being beaten by a 16v pushrod can you. You name any other engine with a 5.7l capacity that can achieve 8l per 100km on the freeway.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: fully sick bro Mon, 27 September 2004 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Give any half decent new engine a "lets hope we can reach 500kph" 6th gear and it'll return decent economy on the highway. There is a reason they get top speed in 5th.

V8's CAN have a nice sound, Gen 3's are not one of these V8's.

The fact they in 250kW spec don't even crack 500Nm, and are regarded by a lot of motoring magazines as peaky is a little disconcerting when talking about 5.7l... Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Wed, 29 September 2004 01:34]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: fully sick bro Mon, 27 September 2004 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes that is why you stroke them out or bolt on a supercharger anyone for the new factory kit 340kw and 600Nm, in testing had up to 400kw and 800Nm most available from 1500rpm.
The problem with low down throttle response has more to do with holdens cheapo detuning through engine management, HSVs do not have the same problem.
And top speed is only 366kph in 6th not 500 me wants a blower and then it will wind out to top speed yay.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: fully sick bro Mon, 27 September 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh gee, only 366kph? Rolling Eyes

The HSV's low-end is helped by the fact they have more power overall. There is nothing magical there obviously, because the same comments are made about lack of low-end for its size.

Sure you can stroke it, didn't make it more efficient now did it?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: fully sick bro Mon, 27 September 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, I got bored and worked it out, with its 235/40ZR18 wheels/tyres, 3.73:1 diff ratio, 0.5:1 6th gear and a 6000rpm redline, the HSV Clubsport is geared for a theoretical 390kph.
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: fully sick bro Mon, 27 September 2004 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
corona- what skool do u go to? i saw that truck at cronulla last weekend...im still gobsmacked...these blokes were yelling out to him as he drove past "oh i wish my daddy brought that car for me" then he sat the arse down with his finger out the window!...best onlooking experience ive ever had..
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: fully sick bro Mon, 27 September 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i wonder if he heard the engine note, or the piston slap?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: fully sick bro Mon, 27 September 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WELL HOW DOES THE XR6 TURBO MANAGE THE GRUNT THEN ,

considering its turbocharged

the slr 5000 sounds wicked too

[Updated on: Mon, 27 September 2004 04:09]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: fully sick bro Mon, 27 September 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Mon, 27 September 2004 12:09

What are you talking about dude? And yes, some SLR 5000's do sound cool. No V8 sounds as cool or as refined as an EFI V8 screaming its tits off though Razz
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: fully sick bro Mon, 27 September 2004 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 27 September 2004 13:47

indian wrote on Mon, 27 September 2004 12:09

What are you talking about dude? And yes, some SLR 5000's do sound cool. No V8 sounds as cool or as refined as an EFI V8 screaming its tits off though Razz

Have you heard a 900hp mopar V8 before at full throttle???

Personally I reckon they sound better at idle lumping off titanium heads!

My mates sounds better than any EFI V8 and this opinion is unbiased considering I regard the 1UZFE as the greatest japanese motor ever built Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: fully sick bro Mon, 27 September 2004 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't say I have, but I'm not talking about uber-race engines, because they are hardly useful on the street.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with a carby V8, it's just after hearing car after car belt down the drag strip, the EFI V8's (not including Gen3's) always sound better.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: fully sick bro Mon, 27 September 2004 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is an uber race engine but it is quite commonly used on the street...but yes EFI does sound cool but i reckon carbies are cooler! Very Happy

When big HP is concerned anyway
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: fully sick bro Mon, 27 September 2004 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Show me a carby that can make as much power everywhere as a good EFI system, everywhere in the rev rane including peak power and i'll eat my hat. Until now I stand by my theory that they belong in the bin. Very Happy
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: fully sick bro Mon, 27 September 2004 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 27 September 2004 14:12

Show me a carby that can make as much power everywhere as a good EFI system, everywhere in the rev rane including peak power and i'll eat my hat. Until now I stand by my theory that they belong in the bin. Very Happy

I cant becuase they dont exist....

Cooler not better, Fonzie was cooler than Richie Cunningham but he wasnt necessarily better was he!

i just reckon the sight of a carby thats big enough to sink a ship is rather arousing...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: fully sick bro Mon, 27 September 2004 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Mon, 27 September 2004 12:50

Cooler not better, Fonzie was cooler than Richie Cunningham but he wasnt necessarily better was he!

Yes he was, he was a superior being in every way Laughing

MR 1GGTE wrote on Mon, 27 September 2004 12:50

i just reckon the sight of a carby thats big enough to sink a ship is rather arousing...

arousing, amusing, same thing Laughing
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: fully sick bro Mon, 27 September 2004 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeyyyyyyy!

Cool
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: fully sick bro Mon, 27 September 2004 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v8s sound ok at idle but u got to watch out with the gen3s or else they might blow a big end bearing, put a piston out the bonnet or catch fire Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

i will remain firm with a honda type R and pod filter to have the best sound

but thats just wot i think
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: fully sick bro Mon, 27 September 2004 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some of the xr6 turbos ive seen have the nice grunty exhaust note , i was wondering why cause most of the turbo cars cant produce that note due to the turbo muffling the sounds down

i quiet like the stealth sound of the skyline engine as well
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4l of displacement and an exhaust picked not to be uber quiet and restrictive by Ford is why they make that noise. They run a twin-2.25" system.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhhhhhhhh thats why they sound tough i see one everyday at the station coming to pik someone up and the car is still running so i can hear the note its nice i wish m soarer had it but my soarer sound similar when floored , but the sound is barely there

and wtf does uber mean Confused Confused Confused Confused
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Tue, 28 September 2004 08:46

and wtf does uber mean Confused Confused Confused Confused

Lets just leave it as big or large Razz
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers

u learn something every day Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I go to Robert Townson High School in Raby (campbelltown) the kid doesn't come to our school any more he left in year ten and is doing an apprenticeship. Was the one you were talking about bright metallic orangy bronze.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ps xr6 turbo are okay but the gearbox ia alraedy at its torque threshold stock thus once modified its starts making weird arse noises and will prob eventually let go.

Also the guy was revcing the tits of the gen 3 by just sticking the cltuch in and stomping on the throttle an awesome sound and yet no pistons were thrown into the sky.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Also the guy was revcing the tits of the gen 3 by just sticking the cltuch in and stomping on the throttle an awesome sound and yet no pistons were thrown into the sky.

but it did burn a litre of oil doing so.... Laughing

gen3's are ghey.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are no what the fuck is wrong with Gen 3's yes they have problems but they are also one hell of an engine in a compact package.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 28 September 2004 12:34

what the fuck is wrong with Gen 3's yes they have problems

You have just answered your own question.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but almost any engine has problems, and the majority of modified Gen 3 don't exhibit that many especially strokers as they have new pistons etc.
Name any other high capicity V8 that will fit in a Clubman.
schmitt
Regular

February 2004
Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey justcallmefrank you shouldnt make comments about gen 3 engines when you dont know all the facts. You said at 260kw they cant even crack 500nm torque. what about the new vz monaro 260 kw and 500 nm of torque.

I am not saying they are the best but they are ok.

But i would rather a ta22 with 3tgte any day.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF IS A "GEN3"??? Razz
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and the CSV's have like 265kw with 520+ NM of torque.

Hey name any other new car you can for $40K with 250kw didn't think so.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 28 September 2004 16:01

yeah but almost any engine has problems, and the majority of modified Gen 3 don't exhibit that many especially strokers as they have new pistons etc.
Name any other high capicity V8 that will fit in a Clubman.

Not many engines have the raft of problems that Gen 3 owners have experienced, and its pointless saying the 'majority of modified Gen 3's don't exhibit many problems', if you have to modify the thing to avoid problems, you are starting with a poor choice of motor in the first place.

Ah, lets try 1UZ, 2UZ and 3UZ.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
schmitt wrote on Tue, 28 September 2004 16:04

hey justcallmefrank you shouldnt make comments about gen 3 engines when you dont know all the facts. You said at 260kw they cant even crack 500nm torque. what about the new vz monaro 260 kw and 500 nm of torque.

JCMF had it right. Fullstop.
And you can give yourself some credibility by doing some research, and comparing apples with apples.
The Gen 3 in the VZ is a revised version of the original one that 'Frank' was talking about. The latest Gen 3 has a new camshaft profile and that is how it (finally) produces those power and torque figures.
GMH have probably revised the sump/oil pickup system as well too, and I would love to see side by side photo's of this area in the Gen 3 and Gen 3 Rev 1. GMH won't say if this is a change to the latest motor for fear of proving a problem exists in this area and admitting liability to the owners of Gen 3 motors.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 28 September 2004 16:07

and the CSV's have like 265kw with 520+ NM of torque.

Hey name any other new car you can for $40K with 250kw didn't think so.

Given enough money you can get any numbers you like from any engine.

Why spend $40K + on a new car to get 250kW ?

Give me your $40K and I will give you back 2 as new 1990 Lexus LS400's with 300Kw, each.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Time for me to lose my credibility.

Take a 1990 LS400 with 1UZ. 190kW, 360Nm, 4.0 litres.

I know it does not equate, but just multiple those numbers out
if you have 5.7 litres worth of engine.

You get 270kW and 510Nm, still move that the VZ Gen 3.1 (Microsoft called their stupid 'improvements' .1 or something didn't they ?).

And this is from a 1990 engine, let alone a 2004 model.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 September 2004 06:36]

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

ra23celica wrote on Tue, 28 September 2004 16:35

Take a 1990 LS400 with 1UZ. 190kW, 360Nm, 4.0 litres.

Thanks, but I'd prefer an RA23/28/25 with a blown 18RG. Plenty of power and better looking. Better still, whack in the 503E engine and the Lexus (and HSV's) would be eating your dust.. or rubber (if you got any left on your tires) Smile

seeyuzz
river
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: fully sick bro Tue, 28 September 2004 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, a nice lil t-bucket thats been channeled, running a big ol' hemi sucking through quad webbers and blowing through a twin 3" system. Just the ticket for those hot, lazy, beachside weekend cruise days. Speed? Nar its in the cruise, man, all in the cruise. Sit in fourth and idle along.

Edit: And a KE25 with 2T-G twin carbs for the other weekends.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 September 2004 16:05]

Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: fully sick bro Wed, 29 September 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
towe_001 wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 01:54

Hmmm, a nice lil t-bucket thats been channeled, running a big ol' hemi sucking through quad webbers and blowing through a twin 3" system. Just the ticket for those hot, lazy, beachside weekend cruise days. Speed? Nar its in the cruise, man, all in the cruise. Sit in fourth and idle along.

Edit: And a KE25 with 2T-G twin carbs for the other weekends.

You're a thinking man.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: fully sick bro Wed, 29 September 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apologies for the mixup, I was referring to the 250kW spec of the Commodore SS, not the "LS1 Plus" as Holden calls it.
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: fully sick bro Wed, 29 September 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 mates of mine used to work in a holden service department as mechanics and they always went on about the fact that gen3's were blowing up as fast as holden could rebuild em
so yeah but wot can u expect with such an ancient peice of technology
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: fully sick bro Wed, 29 September 2004 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gen3 is a really modern version of a really antiquated design, pushrods or not, there is NO reason other than sloppy build for them to be so dodgy.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: fully sick bro Wed, 29 September 2004 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 23:59

there is NO reason other than sloppy build for them to be so dodgy.

they are americans...its what they do best Very Happy
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: fully sick bro Thu, 30 September 2004 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
olihaub wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 22:11

2 mates of mine used to work in a holden service department as mechanics and they always went on about the fact that gen3's were blowing up as fast as holden could rebuild em

And as the prosecution says to the Judge, I rest my case.
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: fully sick bro Thu, 30 September 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
8l/100kms - my fucking ass hole they make that! look at every motor mag where that unreliable low specific power output as an AVERAGE makes 17-23L/100 it NEVER got better than 14 which sucks the balls..

a friend of mine work as a warranty dude at holden dealer.. he likes the job cos it is 2 mins from his house...but he says its ALWAYS busy so many holdens coming back...

he said i thought console clips on vt's were bad as far as warranties go then the gen 3 got some km's on board.....and the phone rang off the hook...

i am not falmiliar with the term but it seems "toymods friendly" gen3's are "ghey wif teh aidz" did i say i right?

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: fully sick bro Fri, 01 October 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gen 3's are not American they are built in Canada in Ontario I think this plant will also be the only other plant outside Aus to amnufacturer the HfV6.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: fully sick bro Fri, 01 October 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Figures of 8l per 100km are achieved on the freeway and what magazine is going to achieve low comsumption figures when they are fanging them to test them, most mags get free petrol so don't care how much they use. I did work experience at motor and lets just say a range rover with a BMW V8 sounds quite nice near the redline.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: fully sick bro Fri, 01 October 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hold teh phone, the HFV6 is used in heaps of other cars, they dont just make them in Aus and canada do they?
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: fully sick bro Sun, 03 October 2004 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Thu, 30 September 2004 01:01

justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 23:59

there is NO reason other than sloppy build for them to be so dodgy.

they are americans...its what they do best Very Happy

Ya, they send the plans to the likes of Taiwan, Korea, etc and get them to build, make the part or unit. And then when it comes to the U.S. of A they slap a "Made in America" sticker on it.
No offence given to Taiwan, Korea, etc cause they do make damn fine cars Daewoo, Hyundai Laughing No No No
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: fully sick bro Sun, 03 October 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah no the HFV6 will not be built in asia. Holden won the right to produce the engine for the golbal platform of GM, the engines will be manufactured in Aus and canada and shipped all around the world to be used in Alfa's, possibly subaru, Vectra's, cadillacs etc.
Holden will also produce the new budget platform for IRS for the VE commodore and the likes. The reason holden gets the rights is due to the fact that they have an aluminium foundry very close to the new fishermans bend plant. Thus the raw materials come out of the ground are processed and sent staright to holden. Some parts of the engine are made in mexico and then sent to aus.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: fully sick bro Mon, 04 October 2004 06:27 Go to previous message
Subaru??
i think subaru would be stupid to put a v6 engine in their line, considering that would alienate the fan base of people that like the boxer4 and 6 engines that currently make up their lineup.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:cant d'load pics from the net
Next Topic:quick windows Q
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 11:06:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010229110717773 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.