Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Help my aw11 went CLUNG!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fractoid
Regular

September 2004
icon5.gif  Help my aw11 went CLUNG! Tue, 28 September 2004 02:33 Go to next message
Anyone got any idea what might have caused it? It was shortly after fanging it round a corner, and then going over a small bump (the kerb, going into my work parking lot).

I was sitting in the car waiting a couple of secs before turning it off (turbo habit, although you don't have to idle down superchargers - do you? anyway I've always thought it was rude to turn a car off immediately after giving it some stick) and all of a sudden it makes a major 'clung' noise. Nothing seems to be hanging down from the car, no belts are broken that I can see, suspension etc. still seems to be working when I rock the car, steering still works... so what on earth could have made this scary noise?
  Send a private message to this user    
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Help my aw11 went CLUNG! Tue, 28 September 2004 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no idea on the noise, but yes you dont have to 'warm' down supercharged cars, but its still a good idea to idle a car for a little bit before you switch it off.
Benno
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Help my aw11 went CLUNG! Tue, 28 September 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe it was one of your springs re-seating. If you have lowered springs, sometimes the strut can expand enough so that the spring gets out of its groove at the top or bottom mounting cups. I had this happen with my lowered RX-4 many years ago. You're right its a scary sound!!! Shocked
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Help my aw11 went CLUNG! Tue, 28 September 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when you say clung, wsa it a clung and car turned off or was the car still on and can you still start it?
fractoid
Regular

September 2004
Re: Help my aw11 went CLUNG! Tue, 28 September 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It does make clunking noises going over bumps sometimes, which sound like the nuts holding the struts in aren't as tight as they could be and are moving up and down. I had the same noise on the Supra after getting new struts put in - so it could well be something like that (especially given the combined stimulus of a roundabout and a sweeping right hander, both taken at the limit of traction (nearly), and a bit of a bump).

OK, for now I'm going to pretend that that was it. Thanks! Smile

[edit: it still seems to go. I'm pretty sure it was running when I heard the clung, in fact my first thought was that putting the handbrake on had somehow caused it and I always put the handbrake on before turning the car off. Dunno why. ]

[Updated on: Tue, 28 September 2004 03:31]

Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help my aw11 went CLUNG! Tue, 28 September 2004 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check the nuts on the sway bar links, they make a horrible noise when they come loose (and when they start to rattle, they trash the droplinks).
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Help my aw11 went CLUNG! Tue, 28 September 2004 12:31 Go to previous message
It sounds like your handbrake cable has snapped. The same thing happened to me when I had it jacked up. I heard a big 'clung'. I already had one cable broken and the clung was the other one breaking.

Put your handbrake in the down position and look under the car. If its broken you will see the cable hanging down about 2/3's down the car.

Check that out. I think its about 150 to have both replaced or check out http://www.padandwheels.com and do it yourself. If thats the problem that is
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:jambo pics {56k beware}{28.8k can go to hell}
Next Topic:name of mags need a replacment
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 15:04:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010015964508057 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.