Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ARGH!? No second Gear!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

icon13.gif  ARGH!? No second Gear! Tue, 28 September 2004 12:45 Go to next message
I was having a brisk drive, Gunned it in first gear, shifted at around 5-6krpm and NO 2nd gear!? the clutch was out, and it just reved freely, 2nd gear wasnt engaged at all. I tried this a few times and every time at high revs 2nd does not engage, but it will if driving normally. (3000rpm shifts). If i shift to 2nd normally and then punch it, its fine... what could it be?

[Updated on: Wed, 29 September 2004 11:12]

Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Tue, 28 September 2004 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lack of rev-matching? synchros?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Tue, 28 September 2004 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Synchros is a guess...or run out of talent Smile
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Tue, 28 September 2004 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reckon its synchros

maybe low on oil?
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Tue, 28 September 2004 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how would low on oil cause this? because its spinning alot faster and has no lubrication for the gear change??

i was told it may be the detents... ?
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Wed, 29 September 2004 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its not lack of talent, i tried it a few times.. 5?
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Wed, 29 September 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so this has never happened to anyone? Crying or Very Sad
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Wed, 29 September 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
syncro!
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Wed, 29 September 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i went for a little drive. If i shift slowly from high revs, it goes into gear properly but the actualy 'gate' or gear is much further into the shift then normal, if you understand? longer throw etc.. Only at high revs
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Wed, 29 September 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what car?????? is this something FF/FWD with cables/rods?
it's either the linkage or you.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Wed, 29 September 2004 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its an aw11 mr2 with cables.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Wed, 29 September 2004 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd say syncro's...coz the rolla's have a problem with the 2nd gear synncros. When they wear out, the gear either doesnt shift or pops out Very Happy
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Wed, 29 September 2004 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder if the engine mounts would contribute to this problem. Maybe the engine/gearbox moves slightly when trying to quick change in the higher rev range. Could be worth a look as well
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Wed, 29 September 2004 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmn that could be an issue. It worked say, a week before hand when i last drove it hard, then all of a sudden it just wasnt working. So synchros wear out to a degree that stops them from working at higher revs, and keep working at lower revs?

This ones got me stumped Neutral

Oh its an e51 non lsd box behind a 4agte....

[Updated on: Wed, 29 September 2004 23:48]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Thu, 30 September 2004 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Thu, 30 September 2004 09:47

mmn that could be an issue. It worked say, a week before hand when i last drove it hard, then all of a sudden it just wasnt working. So synchros wear out to a degree that stops them from working at higher revs, and keep working at lower revs?

This ones got me stumped Neutral

Oh its an e51 non lsd box behind a 4agte....

just throw it out and buy an lsd box Smile
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Thu, 30 September 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hah the problem is finding an e51 or e58 lsd box.... in the meantime if this is easy to fix, then well... hehe
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Thu, 30 September 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stumpy wrote on Thu, 30 September 2004 02:34

Maybe the engine/gearbox moves slightly when trying to quick change in the higher rev range. Could be worth a look as well

yeh...the gearbox movement could also cause it
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Thu, 30 September 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on the mr2 owners club a guy said he had the same thing happen to 3rd, and it was a bent shift fork, he seems to think mine is a cracked shift fork. What do you guys reckon?
Medicine_Man
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Thu, 30 September 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had my gearbox jam in 3rd on me yesterday (Drive a KE70 with a K50 Gearbox) usual ignorant citizen sitting in the right lane on the highway doing 80km/hr not a care in the world, nobody in the left lane for 800m though, so I slammed it into 3rd and accelerated past in the left lane, went to change to 4th and 3rd gear didn't want to move, had to reef back on the gearstick to get it into neutral, Then clutched and tried to find 4th, It was a bit crunchy getting there, but I found it, Changed to 5th and it was ok, Also seemed fine going back down the gears (taking it very easy). I'm suspecting a fucked synchro (also 3rd gear bearing has been sounding sus for a while) And I know my gearbox has plenty of oil, filled it up not that long back, lucky i have a spare gearbox ready to go..
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Fri, 01 October 2004 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
worn clutch does that aswell.
give me a ring on the weekend at home!
mick
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Sat, 02 October 2004 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont think there is anyway its the clutch, just put in, 700kms ago, daikin heavy duty sc clutch.

[Updated on: Sat, 02 October 2004 04:41]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: ARGH!? No second Gear! Sun, 03 October 2004 00:25 Go to previous message
the clutch might need ajusting or the lne might need bleeding! you might have cooked the clutch fluid with the extra heat of the turbo! so it could need shielding.
mick
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:need info on changing auto 2 manual for mx73 cressida
Next Topic:4age quad throttle on 16V
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 03:07:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.087400913238525 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.