Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » WTF is wrong with my *$#@#% motor????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
WTF is wrong with my *$#@#% motor???? Sat, 25 September 2004 11:17 Go to next message
ok, i'll start from the start.
i havnt been able to get my TA22 (2T) going for a while, mabe 3 months its been sitting in the garage.
now that ive been spending time trying to get it going, ive traced a whole bunch of faults, including a dodgy main earth (fixed), non-functioning fuel cut solenoid (fixed), a few dodgy wires etc (fixed), given it new points (set properly), new fuel, new coil, new rotor button, spark plugs etc etc. after all this i had a spark, not a very good one, but plenty to light the mix with.

a couple of days ago, i checked the timing and it was advanced to the shithouse, due to a loose dizzy that had moved its self out of time by about 20 degrees. i brought it back round to the factory timing, but it still wouldnt start. wound it to about 20 degrees retarded to see what would happen and it kicked for long enough for me to put the timing back to the right spot, where it burst into life and was running better than ever. took it for a spin, set up the advance etc, came home and turned it off. found that it wouldnt start with this timing (factory specs) then found the carbie wasnt priming its self (no power to fuel cut solenoid, fixed that) still wouldnt start, but still kicks over and runs, albiet very poorly when retarded by about 20 degrees (back fires out the carb, wont rev past ~two hundred rpm) still runs fine when set back to proper timing, but still wont start there. since then my spark has disapeared, but reapears intermittantly, but it still wont run, even with spark.
my auto choke also isnt working, but open or closed theres no signs of life.

im out if ideas. please help me...

Jim.
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: WTF is wrong with my *$#@#% motor???? Sat, 25 September 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's what life's like with points and carbs Shocked Sounds like somethings pretty loose in your dizzy, and your carb may not be entirely healthy, either..
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: WTF is wrong with my *$#@#% motor???? Sat, 25 September 2004 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get a 2TGEU Wink

Getting a car started is sort of the hard part of having carb + points.

btw - how can your dizzy be loose?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: WTF is wrong with my *$#@#% motor???? Sat, 25 September 2004 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check the resistance in your ignition leads btw - I noticed you didn't mention that - but you might've done that anyway.

Also what gap sparkies you running? Have you pulled them out to check what kind of mixture you are getting when it is running? lean/hot/cold/rich/oily/whatevery.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: WTF is wrong with my *$#@#% motor???? Sun, 26 September 2004 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your getting sprark and then not could be coil issue, i knw you said you replaced it but could be wiring to coil, resistor for coil, alternator feed to coil.

if you were in syd i would have been nmore than happy to come past but alas Confused

actually you say that it starts at 20deg right? you sure your dizzy aint 180deg out???????
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: WTF is wrong with my *$#@#% motor???? Sun, 26 September 2004 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
three main things with a engine
1. fuel
2. spark
3. compression

if you have those 3 things then it should at least fire.

first you check the compression. take the spark plugs out and put ure finger over the hole and crank the engine over. if the motor has good comp. then it will blow ure finger off. sounds like ure engine has it thou

secondly, spark. check points gap and cleanliness. try rewiring the dizzy an coil with seperate wires (temporarily)
this is a diagram i drew on autoCAD, basic but still good Smile
http://img84.exs.cx/img84/1282/untitled222.jpg

then u have to check its gettin fuel. try just squirtin some down the carby. if it runs 4 a bit then stops, then u would expect that it used up the stuff u put in and didnt get any from the carby. and a way to check if its gettin to much, is if it makes the spark plug really wet. maybe need to clean the carby.

with these things it should start or at least fire.
good luck anyway

brett
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: WTF is wrong with my *$#@#% motor???? Sun, 26 September 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys,

ive pretty much tryed all this stuff already.

-the mixture was rich and the plugs were wet but i tuned that while it was running. i will check that again. if i back the fuel right off could it make it easier to start? at the moment when i pump the throttle, i get a good healthy squirt of fuel.

-i dont see how the dizzy could be 180 out, cos when i put it back to about 10 or 15 BTDC it ran fine. just wouldnt start with it there.

-when i say the dizzy was loose i mean the bolt that secures it to the block wasnt tight enough and the whole thing had rotated because i'd been cranking the motor over while it was loose.

-i tryed pouring fuel down the carbie, nothing happened.

-the points have been cleaned and set to 16 thou.

what should the resistance be in the HT leads? this is the only thing i havnt checked, but still doesnt explain everything if it was wrong because it has been running fine once started.

thanks again.

NickTA22
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: WTF is wrong with my *$#@#% motor???? Sun, 26 September 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know if this will make any difference but set the air gap in the dizzy to 8thou instead of 16thou. anything from 8 to 16 should be fine according to the book but maybe the higher end of it doesn't work. I had this problem with my 2T so because the gap wasnt correct. Once fixed she was sweet.
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: WTF is wrong with my *$#@#% motor???? Sun, 26 September 2004 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks mate, i'll give that a shot. gotta buy some verniers tho ($50 Mad )
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: WTF is wrong with my *$#@#% motor???? Sun, 26 September 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine cost $10.
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: WTF is wrong with my *$#@#% motor???? Mon, 27 September 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so did mine Very Happy
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: WTF is wrong with my *$#@#% motor???? Mon, 27 September 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sleep
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: WTF is wrong with my *$#@#% motor???? Mon, 27 September 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've never seen points set with verniers - I will place that on my list of things to see
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: WTF is wrong with my *$#@#% motor???? Mon, 27 September 2004 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope he meant feeler guages.
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: WTF is wrong with my *$#@#% motor???? Tue, 28 September 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rest assured, i meant feeler guages. setting an air gap to 8 thou would be an achievement with calipers. still havnt tryed that gap yet, will do tomorrow. sounds like theres a guy with similar problems to me with his carbied 2TGEU in a new thread. whats going on here? must be contagious.

peace
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon6.gif  Re: WTF is wrong with my *$#@#% motor???? Tue, 28 September 2004 23:24 Go to previous message
Stick to the basics Dude,

Fuel and Spark really are all there is. If you have been trying to start it for anything more than 5 minutes or so, Chances are your plugs are now fouled and it won't fire !

De-foul them or chuck some new ones in and see how you go. It is probably that simple Smile

Just check your timing again before you do ! Wind the engine over by Hand, allinge the timing mark at around 12 degrees BTDC and check your points gap and rotor positioning. I know you have prolly done it half a dozen times already but it pays to check it again. Smile

Hope that helps,

Rod.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Copper H.G.
Next Topic:What injectors for 3rd gen 1g????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 01:04:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068361759185791 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.