Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
2t/2tg questions Sun, 26 September 2004 11:32 Go to next message
couple of questions.

with the 3tg hybrid conversion, how the hell do you get the cam/dummy cam bearings in/out.

they are in there damn tight ?

also, with the 2tgeu pistons, they have numbers on the top, the 8.4 means compression, but i have 2 spare sets of pistons, one set has a 2 on the top aswell, the other has a 3 on the top.

what does that mean ?
  Send a private message to this user    
pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: 2t/2tg questions Sun, 26 September 2004 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ANYONE ?
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2t/2tg questions Mon, 27 September 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the numbers are a clearancing guide - the deck will have corresponding numbers (well it did before the machinist decked it)
pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: 2t/2tg questions Mon, 27 September 2004 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what does that mean ?

all version of the engine had the same deck height ?

im confused now.

i thought maybe it was an indication of oversized factory type pistons ?
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2t/2tg questions Tue, 28 September 2004 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is an indication of the small piston to bore clearance differences from cylinder to cylinder. The corresponding number is stamped on the deck.
pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: 2t/2tg questions Tue, 28 September 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what happens if i put the 2 stamped pistons into one that originally had the 3 stamped in it ?
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2t/2tg questions Tue, 28 September 2004 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have never actually looked up what the nuber correspondes to - it may well be 1/10000th of an inch difference which will equate to F all problems.

PooPoo on these forums has done it - but apparently his motors last less than a tank of fuel (I am certain that longevity had nothing to do with piston clearance tho and was very likely related to boost).
PooPoo
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: 2t/2tg questions Tue, 28 September 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think in the case of my motor the number relates to the number of times you can change the pistons before you have to any major work to a block

take the number off each cylinder ie 2 3 3 2 add the up and A-presto the number
So as you all can see i still have a bit of life in my tough 3T yet Laughing Laughing
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2t/2tg questions Tue, 28 September 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think in your case that you are supposed to read that as 2332 rebuilds. leaving you with about 50 or 60 left.

You have rebuilt yours more than Toyota originally built Laughing

Oh Gina - should have be vaGina
PooPoo
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: 2t/2tg questions Tue, 28 September 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I feel that you have missed the point because if you got it you would try a little harder to research the outer limits of a stock 3t I am some what advanced in this field and have not bothered to build or bolt on these so called go fast bit you use to achieve your over inflated goals .I do this with what us real people call RPM and BOOST. So if you wish to learn about how to make your car last talk to some one that has done the time. thanks toyota for the joy you bring Mad
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2t/2tg questions Tue, 28 September 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am too busy researching the outer limits of someone that you are close to my friend Laughing
PooPoo
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: 2t/2tg questions Tue, 28 September 2004 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and it will be your undoing

PS mum said that your getting boring Laughing Laughing
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2t/2tg questions Tue, 28 September 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It'll be the undoing of something!!! Bras, panties etc (you may vaguely remember the drill).
PooPoo
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: 2t/2tg questions Tue, 28 September 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The DRILL oh i think you should ask her how i dill

like a beaver on a hunk of wood
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2t/2tg questions Tue, 28 September 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did - she's bored (hahahaha) Laughing
pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: 2t/2tg questions Tue, 28 September 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just a little of topic arent we.

i called sean maloney and he saig ignore the number, has something to do with piston revisions

EG later model 261, having later design piston ?
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2t/2tg questions Tue, 28 September 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Then why does the same engine have different numbers stamped on different pistons? (see PooPoo's note about having pistons stamped 2 3 3 2). Do you reckon maybe Toyota made revisions and then revisee them again between pistons 1 and 4?

Anyway maybe calling Maloney in the first instance could've spared you the drivel between PooPoo and I.

edit/ I am really not sure - I did believe that you were referring to the number that appears hand stamped on the piston crown and I apologise for the O/T remarks.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 September 2004 07:46]

pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: 2t/2tg questions Tue, 28 September 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am talking about the number on the piston crown,

this forum is supposed to be about sharing knowledge and helping people.

i appreciate any help from people, but if you are gonna be stupid about it, please refrain from posting.

now back to the original subject.
the engines had all the same numbers on the pistons.
with each engine having a different number.

eg engine 1 = number 3 pistons
Engine 2 = Number 2 on pistons

it doesnt matter now anyway, as im getting some verniers to measure them to check sizes. so ill figure out what i need to know myself.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon6.gif  Re: 2t/2tg questions Tue, 28 September 2004 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pheonix,

Mate the number on the Piston is from when they were assembled by Toyota. Toyota Measure there piston to bore clearances down to the last bloody Micron. They have 3 different sizes for the "std" pistons.

Convention states that number 2 will be "std", "std" and a 1 or a 3 will be a bees dick smaller or larger. The replacement Pistons for the T series tho don't have this option.

A "std" piston is a "std" piston Smile ie don't worry about it Smile
You won't be able to measure the difference on a set of Verniers unless they and you are incredibly bloody accurate. as a test run.... Try measureing a Bees dick !

YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2t/2tg questions Wed, 29 September 2004 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pheonix83 wrote on Tue, 28 September 2004 21:35

i am talking about the number on the piston crown,

this forum is supposed to be about sharing knowledge and helping people.

i appreciate any help from people, but if you are gonna be stupid about it, please refrain from posting.

now back to the original subject.
the engines had all the same numbers on the pistons.
with each engine having a different number.

eg engine 1 = number 3 pistons
Engine 2 = Number 2 on pistons

it doesnt matter now anyway, as im getting some verniers to measure them to check sizes. so ill figure out what i need to know myself.

1) Question answered - at least twice now

2) Don't teach father how to make babies

3) See apology in last post - dry the tears, fix your make up and walk tall

4) Relevant now because?

5) See point 4

6) Will you please publish the results of your findings? I (and others) am interested in the results.

7) See toyman's response - If you can measure 1/10000th of an inch with a vernier caliper (it is possible but not likely - more likely with a digital caliper which is NOT a vernier) then you have all the respect from me.

pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: 2t/2tg questions Wed, 29 September 2004 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it wasnt answered correnctly.
im not teaching squat.
applogy acccepted and thankyou for your help.
not relevant now so dont matter.

and i will be publishing everything as soon as my building is completed.

if you are interested im building a 2tgteu.

YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2t/2tg questions Wed, 29 September 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am very interested (my car is running 2T/3T GTE)

O/T but I would recommend not using the factory pistons if you are interested in making good power.

My #3 ring land gave up as we were reaching a tune for 158rwkW - sure it detonated and that is what broke the piston, but detonation is inevitable when tuning for power.

Forged pistons are under $1000.

pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: 2t/2tg questions Wed, 29 September 2004 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not after huge power.

so is yours a 3tgte with a 2tg head ?

cause im using the std 262 model engine with 8.4 pistons.
using all the 3tgte gear.
and making up a new turbo drain into the sump.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2t/2tg questions Wed, 29 September 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like the Toyman said! Cool Unlike GM, look at the LS1 V8 same size pistons in each cylinder, regardless of how out of tolerence the machine work is! Shocked No wonder they explode. Laughing

regards Chuck.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2t/2tg questions Wed, 29 September 2004 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YelloRolla wrote on Tue, 28 September 2004 10:06

It is an indication of the small piston to bore clearance differences from cylinder to cylinder. The corresponding number is stamped on the deck.

Pheonix83,

Please see above post for the CORRECT answer, the FIRST time it was given ! This was YelloRolla's second reply to your question (The first being easily misunderstood) so your comment about it not being answered correctly has me concerned as to what you think the real answer is ????? If you new the answer already ? Why waste our time with asking the question !

Sure there was some offtopic dribble in this post (where the hell is Ed when you need him lol) but if you sift threw the crap you will se it was all AFTER your question had been answered and you had the audience of a well experienced T series owner.

I see you are using the later model 2TG, I assume then you are using the 262 pistons ? You cannot use the 260 or 261 pistons with a 262 head. The combustion chambers are offset differently and you wil have issues.

The stock Cast pistons will not be forgiving to any misadventure of a tuning nature. Ask anyone with a stock 3T about how little it takes to melt a piston or bugger a ring land. A flat top or 3T-GTE style forged Piston will work very nicely.

DO keep us informed with your build progress, I also have a 2T/3TGTE Hybrid (Using a flat top style forged piston) and have been playing with the T series engines for far to many years to mention out loud. mm The early 90's..... When a 2Tg with cams was even Tuff ! lol

Goodluck with it.

pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: 2t/2tg questions Wed, 29 September 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thankyou.

Sean maloney told to just ignore the number anyway.

in my car atm, is a 262 engine, that is the engine that will be turboed, as it had the longest duration cams out of them all (correct me if im wrong)

but i have just stripped down my 2 spare 2tgeus, one a 260, the other a 261.

these had the 2 different numbers stamped on them.

as with tuning, at first i will be running a microtech mt8 ( i think it is) that is tuned for a 3tgteu.

so i will be overfueling for a 1.6 litre.
also will be running an intercooler to keep temps down.

boost is gonna be stock for the time being, as i have no need for it yet.

but while that is running i will be building up another engine from what i have spare.

but am undecided on what to build.

was thinking of building the second as a 2tgze, as i can get all i need for it, and already have a wolf 2d that i can tune for that engine.

also, any help with what other pistons i may be able to use would be nice.

i have a set of std 18r pistons i can use, they are flat tops, and same gudgeon height as a 2tg piston.

any advise ?
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2t/2tg questions Thu, 30 September 2004 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pheonix83,

By "ALL" of the 3T-GTE gear I assume you mean just the Turbo and Turbo manifold ?

Cams - I honestly don't have the lift and duration specs for a 262 head but would be surprised if they had the longest duration. I also have no idea of the overlap on the 262 and how suitable it would be in a Turbo application. The 262 headed 2TG is the lowest powered twin cam and most emmison restricted T series engine ever assembled !

Your 260 and 261 Pistons will most likely not work ! (Offset dome in the 262 head requires sepecific pistons or flat tops) you could of course just use a 260 or 261 head.

The Microtech tune will most likely be way off for your engine, Over or under fueling will depend on what injectors you use. The different Cam specs and characteristics will also upset the tune. Not to mention Fuel pressure setting etc etc etc. I sure as hell wouldn't be taking that gamble with a cast piston !

The 18R has an 88.5mm bore so would be a rather adventurous fitment for a Turbo T series engine ! Not sure how there Pin heights etc compare. I don't play with the 18R series stuff.

The T series twim cam engine is not very forgiving when assembled incorrectly. All I can say is check everything twice, then do it again !
pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: 2t/2tg questions Thu, 30 September 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wont be using any othe pistons with the 262, as its a completely useless engine, but i have a complete donor 3tgte that blew pistons.

parts i will use are injectors, oil lines , turbo, manifold and possibly cams shims buckets etc.

as for other rebuild i have a completely rebuilt 260 or 261 head lined up.

fuel pressure will be controlled by the malpassi thats in the car atm.

the cast 8.4 pistons should be able to handle 7 pounds of boost fine as long as i can prevent detonation.

thats where some extra fuel, and conservative timing will come in.
as well as the intercooler.
the main reason i can see why 3tgte pistons blew is excessive intake temps causing detonation and killing the cast pistons.

so by keeping intake temps down, err on the rich side of everything i should be ok.
and if im not it dont matter, cause i got 3 engines to pick parts from anyway.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2t/2tg questions Thu, 30 September 2004 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pheonix83 wrote on Thu, 30 September 2004 16:07

fuel pressure will be controlled by the malpassi thats in the car atm.

the cast 8.4 pistons should be able to handle 7 pounds of boost fine as long as i can prevent detonation.

mmmm Malpassi..... Now I know why you melted the pistons !

As for the Cast 8.4 pistons be able to handle 7psi boost, Yeah if the car is correctly tuned and assembled it should no worries. Mind you the stock 3T-GTE pistons should have be able to handle it to and even dead stock ones have ben known to fry a piston or six.

pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: 2t/2tg questions Thu, 30 September 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the malpassi came with the 262 engine.

im getting the 3tgte off a mate whol killed it dragging a guy he had no intercooler either.

or i can use the std regulator off a 3tgte.

either will do i suppose.

YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2t/2tg questions Thu, 30 September 2004 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
high temps from dragging - I used to see intake temps of 105 deg c and this was not the cause of breaking pistons - that came much later after the car was fitted with reasonably large intercooler (my reason for stating this is that detonation is not necessarily due to high temps).

You seem to be quite clear on what you are doing (albeit unconventional) go for it and don't under any circumstances be mis-directed by the people on these forums who don't know much.

edit/ if you want to discuss quick rebuilds and how to do them cheap then let me tell you that PooPoo is the LEGEND at it - he can rebuild and destroy one quicker than I can type this. He is now in the process of building one CORRECTLY.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 September 2004 12:37]

pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: 2t/2tg questions Thu, 30 September 2004 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe.

well, ill keep you all up to date as it progresses along.

before i can do any of it i have to upgrade to bigger fuel lines.

my main reason for not doing this the proper way, is cost.

i cannot justify 1000 for a set of forgies when ive got all these bits here to play with for nothing.

and its more fun playing.

the biggest hiccup i can see is getting it tuned correctly after its running.
as im in tassie, and not many guys here know what they are talking about. To many v8 holly tuners.

but any advice and experience in doing what im doing is greatly appreciated.

thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2t/2tg questions Thu, 30 September 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phoenix83,

Use the Stock 3T-GTE reg instead of the Malpassi.

Let us know how you go Smile
pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: 2t/2tg questions Fri, 01 October 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, ill do that.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2t/2tg questions Fri, 01 October 2004 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thetoyman75 wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 18:13

Sure there was some offtopic dribble in this post (where the hell is Ed when you need him lol)

....*grumble*

im here, im here, ok ok ...

as if i was ever going to voluntarily read a thread about 2t/2tg's No No No

it wasnt until "jason 'mr bubbles' myers" tipped me off about child porn activity in this thread that i thought i'd better come and have a look Rolling Eyes

BEHAVE JASON!!

Laughing
pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: 2t/2tg questions Mon, 04 October 2004 07:35 Go to previous message
well more news on the project.

was changing the fuel rail over the other day, from one with an external regulator to one that screws into the rail.

well, now i got clogged injectors i think.

runs like a biatch.

changed it all back and no difference.

so the 3tgte convo will be stepped up a notch now
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:will this work if so wat do i need to do
Next Topic:Do i use a grinder to install ducktail wing for my ae86?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 03:32:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0083508491516113 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.