Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Towing a boat Wed, 29 September 2004 00:38 Go to next message
Would it be possible to tow a boat with my ra28 celica with an 18rge? Or am i totally dreaming - would it stretch the chassis and kill the brakes? Would i be able to get away with it if i upgraded the brakes?

The boat is a 16" with a 327chevy rearmount. Now I'm thinking, since the engine is rear mounted, that means the leverage will take some weight off the towbar.

Opinions? Otherwise i might have to sell up and buy something that can tow. Would a mk 3 supra be able to? Or am i looking at getting a commodore for some pulling powaaaaaa (eek)
  Send a private message to this user    
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: Towing a boat Wed, 29 September 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You need to find the weight of the trailer, as this will really determine what you can tow it with. Basic rule of thumb is around 75% to 100% of the towing vehicles weight for unbraked, 150% for a braked trailer. Even if you have monster horsepower and brakes, if the trailer is too heavy it will just push the tow vehicle around and make your life VERY dificult.
Forget the Commonwhore, diesel Hiace van so you can take all your mates with you.

Callum
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Towing a boat Wed, 29 September 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Towing is all about torque, brakes and driveline. Don't use your '28 to tow a boat, you will kill it and/or yourself. Do you have electric brakes on the trailer ? Sort out the weight of the whole thing and then go looking for a car/van to tow it. Keep the '28 and buy a diesel Hilux ute to tow the thing. Mates ride in the back of the ute while topless supermodel girlfriend is up front next to you.

Cool

Mitch.
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: Towing a boat Wed, 29 September 2004 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The limit (in VIC anyway) is the lesser of:

- The max towing weight specified by the manufacturer (if any).
- The max towing weight stamped on the towbar (if any).
- 1.5 times the car's weight!

I doubt that your towbar would be stamped with a limit of more than 750kg. Your boat is going to weigh more than that! If you go over the limits above you could get fined and you will have no insurance cover if you have a crash with the boat trailer on.

Over 750kg you need trailer brakes, but they can be electric, cable, hydraulic or whatever. Electric are the best, but you need to install a controller in the tow vehicle.

I have turbo-diesel Jackaroo (2500kg limit) which is great for towing my car trailer or caravan. A Hilux or Surf should also be capable of towing your boat (1500kg or 1800kg towing limit dependant on model). While a Camry o similar FWD car may be rated to 1200kg, I wouldn't towing with one too often, you will kill CV joints
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Towing a boat Wed, 29 September 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Commodores/falcons are fine to tow

I tow the rally car with my 2002 VXII Station Wagon and its been all over the state and is fine for towing, and you can carry your mates and equipment although it did need a bigger oil cooler for the gearbox and an electric brake controller, i can tow up to 2100KG easily (and have done so) its great when you pass larger 4WD's towing uphills Smile A V8 one would be better but i cant afford the insurance being under 24

Ben.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Towing a boat Wed, 29 September 2004 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Does this mean the 18Rg engine isn't good for towing 'cos it's torque isn't too great and only come sin at high rpm - whcih would make stationery take-off bad for the clutch?

I wanna tow a jet ski or an ultralight aircraft (hehehe, but not at the same time) and these things, even on the trailer are less than 500kg. I don't wanna burn out the clutch or stuff the engine.

seeyuzz
river
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Towing a boat Wed, 29 September 2004 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
500kg isn't much to tow. I reckon with suitably low gearing (which most Celicas have), a stock 18R-G would handle that OK. It's far from ideal though, 18R-G's aren't designed with that sort of thing in mind!
Gazza53
Regular

August 2004
Re: Towing a boat Wed, 29 September 2004 09:12 Go to previous message
Nope the celica wont cope,
i used to tow an 18' ski boat on a single axle trailer, behind a V8 fairlane and also a 4 litre jeep, and even then you sure knew you had a load on.
another thing to consider is getting the boat in and out of the water, slippery boat ramps and the like will stuff a small car clutch very quickly.
Keep the celica for fun!!!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE101 front cut bits (gbox, CV's, driveshafts, struts, brakes etc) will they fit into my AE92 hatch?
Next Topic:SV21 do they use hydrulic\cable clutch?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:25:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048701763153076 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.