Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 02:41 Go to next message
Hi all,

I finally have got the engine in, and "running"...

The engine is hard to start, and once it actually starts to run, it idles perfectly for about 5 seconds before "bogging down" and barely idling at around 200rpm, then stalling. Most of the time it takes some playing with the throttle to even get it to start idling normally for those few seconds. It soon stalls no matter what throttle input.

I hate car electrics!

What could be wrong here? Could it be an air intake leak?
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wild guess here, your cold start injector is giving you that 5 seconds of good idle at start up, and your normal injector function does not seem to be firing properly or maybe its not supplying enough fuel.
Check your injector pulse signal first. Check and clean your AFM pin connection plug. Check that your fuel pump is working.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh good, I wasn't the only person to think of that, I just played it safe and left my response on MSN so I wouldn't be wrong Laughing
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1) How is ur battery ? did u just install the battery, the computer may take some time to get the mapping (is that the right word?) etc right. Mine kept stalling but once i had it runnin for a while, it idled fine

2) Do u have any premium fuel in the tank, or old unleaded, try premium if u have not already ...

3) Check ur spark plugs for build up (that black shit), have u changed the original plugs ?

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 13:12

I just played it safe and left my response on MSN so I wouldn't be wrong Laughing

Come on JCMF, grow some goolies and have a go ! You have to skin your knuckles if you want to win the fight.

Laughing
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have the fuel pump pumping.

Battery is ok, has no trouble starting the car.

The fuel is a little old, but it idles fine then cuts out...

Spark plugs are a little dirty, but that doesnt explain why it idles ok for a little bit.

What i'm most concerned about is why is it so hard to start?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried d/cing the cold start injector, it did the same thing as before, hard to start, then it does, gets to a reasonable idle speed for a little bit then bogs down, stalls.

Grr...
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 13:15

justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 13:12

I just played it safe and left my response on MSN so I wouldn't be wrong Laughing

Come on JCMF, grow some goolies and have a go ! You have to skin your knuckles if you want to win the fight.

Laughing

yeh grow some balls mate, no one is gonna flame ya ! Cool
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you hold the throttle open to keep it going, or does it still just bog down?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Still bogs down.

It sometimes helps to "blip" the throttle, which gets it to idle for those few seconds.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check for an injector pulse signal. I had this exact same problem you are describing on my 1G-GZE and it turned out to be a poor connection between the AFM and the loom. If you are running an AFM, pull the connection apart, blow some compressed air over the pins and try it again.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okeydokey, will try that out...

Funny thing is, before I had to get the bearings replaced in the engine it was running ok... as far as I remember.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anything else you are holding back from us mate ??? Rolling Eyes

Might be hard to diagnoze by us budding mechanics if you don't tell us all the facts. Like the bloke who had an electrical failure in his car, due to the conrod that busted a hole in the block and smashed the alternator to death ! Laughing

Seriously, new bearings should have nothing to do with this. You are not getting either fuel or spark after the 5 second idle period.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm gonna place my bet on fuel then Wink

I do have the fuel pump wired up slightly differently now... it's triggered by the AFM, while before the engine was a MAP sensored 1G-GE, so i guess the ECU did it then.

I suppose I can always try some other things out in hope of it working huh Smile

Still, suggestions in this thread are gonna be helpful to me!
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy some optimax and try that first man, thats the cheapest and quickest option.. what have u got to lose ?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My fuel pump is rigged up via the circuit open relay, and yes, it is triggered by the ECU. I just wonder if your ECU is still looking for this signal and when it does not get back the answer it wants, shuts down the whole shooting match....

Do you have the diagnostic port set up with the loom ? If so, short the E1 and TE1 terminals, rigg up a 5W 12V lamp between an earth and the 'W' pin in the port, and see what error codes get thrown up.

My money is still on the injector pulse signal. Smile
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 13:50

I'm gonna place my bet on fuel then Wink

I do have the fuel pump wired up slightly differently now... it's triggered by the AFM, while before the engine was a MAP sensored 1G-GE, so i guess the ECU did it then.

I suppose I can always try some other things out in hope of it working huh Smile

Still, suggestions in this thread are gonna be helpful to me!

I'd be checking that then!

The fuel pump might only be working while the engine is cranking? Maybe just hard wire the fuel pump so its going the whole time to trouble shoot it?

Cheers
Wilbo
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check that fuel issue man.
We had trouble getting a mates 1g started and it turned out to be the open circuit relay. As has been said, check the connections to the fuel pump and whether it's running or not. Because the fuel pump should be triggered off both the starter motor for when you start the car and the the afm flow for when it's running.

Also, just a thought, maybe your fuel filter is either in the wrong way or it's clogged up?
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check your idle adjustment on the throttle body and also check your afm adjustment.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what are you doing at home ya bum?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It runs now, and oh boy does it run!

Fuel issue, fuel pump not pumping Confused

Anyway, it has a funny problem where it hunts at idle speed. I disconnected the ISCV and it continued to hunt, could it be a leak in the intake?

Just when I thought all was good, I face another small challenge Smile Now people will think i'm wanting a race at traffic lights!

Also, I can't get the tacho to work yet... Thats another story for now Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fattony wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 14:42

Check your idle adjustment on the throttle body and also check your afm adjustment.

How do I make sure the AFM adjustment is correct?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah come on guys, ideas!
coronaturbo
Regular

September 2004
Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Wed, 29 September 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
had same problem air flow meter plug was back to front
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Thu, 30 September 2004 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i kno a fella who had the same trouble with his 5me cressida. started, run for 5 secs, stopped. he replaced the fuel filter and it went perfectly fine Wink
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Thu, 30 September 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I unplugged the AFM and it stopped hunting.

Bad AFM?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Thu, 30 September 2004 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeh, when I adjust the screw on the AFM further out, it makes the hunting happen slower, but when it's all the way in, it happens more frequently...

So i'm thinking it's a dodgy AFM now Sad
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Thu, 30 September 2004 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shouldnt of played with the afm Rolling Eyes

get it on a dyno, see what its doing
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Thu, 30 September 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was getting desperite.

I'll throw it on a dyno soon then... might try get fours n more to do it when they do the head retorque.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Thu, 30 September 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the screw on airflow doesnt do much
just the idle section

sometimes if 4agzes stall i adjust it

as long as u didnt adjust the airflow spring under the black plastic then yr fine

hunting could be due to air in cooling system or throttle sensor bad or set inccorectly

[Updated on: Thu, 30 September 2004 08:51]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE starting issues... and running issues! Thu, 30 September 2004 08:55 Go to previous message
Ahh, thanks sideshow!

I'm gonna try get in contact with fours 'n more soon, see what they say about it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE82 4agze how too?
Next Topic:vented single piston OR twin piston solid
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 13:28:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070340633392334 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.