Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » how much room do you need for a conversion?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

how much room do you need for a conversion? Fri, 11 October 2002 06:22 Go to next message
ok, the time is drawing near when I'll finally start my conversion... and I want to know how much room I'll need.
how much to maneuver the engine hoist, and get the engine out... all this.
I'm planning on using dumping the front cut in front of the car, and putting the car up on ramps a little further back. How much room should I leave between the car and the front cut?

or is there a better way to do it? any help much appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
DannyGT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member

May 2002

Re: how much room do you need for a conversion? Fri, 11 October 2002 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lots Smile

...the more room the better

hehe

how much room you got?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how much room do you need for a conversion? Fri, 11 October 2002 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummmm.... enough I hope Smile
I'm going to do it in a my car port. it's a double, but I'd *really* like tobe able to keep the 2nd space.
my plan is to park the car with it's bum hanging out a little bit.. give myself as much room as possible at the front

hence the question on how much to leave Smile
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: how much room do you need for a conversion? Sun, 13 October 2002 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did most of mine in my single garage. It's a little bigger than most single garages but I didn't need all the space. A single carport will be fine. I used a block and tackle and it was easy. Once an engine is on the ground in a tyre or something then it is pretty easy to drag around. I just pulled it under the block and tackle, pulled the engine up and rolled the car under it. You don't need to have the car on ramps but I guess it'll make it a little easier.

Tim.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: how much room do you need for a conversion? Sun, 13 October 2002 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remember to be extra careful with your tools and what not, otherwise you'll end up in a big old mess and can never find that damned spanner you're looking for...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how much room do you need for a conversion? Sun, 13 October 2002 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, I'm thinking the ramps will make all the under-car work a lot easier (like all the messing around I'm going to have to do with the gearbox)

hopefully I can get my hands on a proper hoist, but we shall see I guess
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how much room do you need for a conversion? Sun, 13 October 2002 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do u plan on servicing the engine before u put it in?

its recommended that u do, so much easier to do things (read: service and prep for conversion) with it on an engine stand.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how much room do you need for a conversion? Sun, 13 October 2002 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by service you mean.... ?
I'm going to replace all the belts.. haven't decided what to do about the gaskets & seals.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how much room do you need for a conversion? Sun, 13 October 2002 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i recommend u do the seals as it will be SO much easier with it on an engine stand, also if u do the belt u may as well do the seals while your at it, and especially do the rear main, cause doing it all later on with the engine in the car can be a biATCH.... make sure you are not TOO eager to get the engine into your car, spend some time checking and prepping it may save u a whole heap of hassles in the future

also if u pull the engine out of the front cut, strip the front cut and get rid of the bare chassis then u can effectivly make more room in front of the car.

just a suggestion Embarassed
Redrolla
Occasional Poster

September 2002

Re: how much room do you need for a conversion? Sun, 13 October 2002 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oil, plugs, check compression. Check static ignition timing. Check leads, rotor buttton and dizzy contacts. Generally check everything is tight. ie. exhaust and intake manifold bolts/nuts. if it's injected, then get the injectors done. If you start fresh from the beginning, even if it takes longer and might be a bit more expensive, you'll be laughing at the reliability and power (depending on engine of course). It'll run like new.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how much room do you need for a conversion? Sun, 13 October 2002 07:32 Go to previous message
well, it's going to be a 1jz-gte
so hopefully reliability should not be a big problem. I'll be looking for one with as few kms as possible, but I'll have a good look around and check everything.
I was tempted to go a new flywheel & clutch while it was out ... but that's big $$$, even though I'd save a fortune on getting it done later.
I'll see how the budget's running when i get to that stage.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:has anyone ever locked a sprinter diff?
Next Topic:Coil Packs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 13:12:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050981044769287 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.