Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid ... (up for sale).

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sun, 26 September 2004 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/rearcomplete0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/purplewiper.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/rearcomplete2.jpg
Got a couple of extra goodies thrown in, being the painting of the spare wheel carrier and the painting of the non-stock rear wiper.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/stickered2.jpg
Come check out my site.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/stickered3.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/stickered0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/toby1.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/toby0.jpg
The guy that did the job with my rear door and accessories.

Pics are now up-to-date. Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 06:39]

Send a private message to this user    
lockstar
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Thu, 30 September 2004 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
what else can be said dude, great wrk
love that engine rebuild

must be something to behold in the flesh!
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Tue, 12 October 2004 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if you came along to the inaugural Toymods Toyota Fest '04 on the 3rd of October, you would have found out! Very Happy

Ok ECU is due in next week and I've put my original 3S-GTE ECU up for sale in the classifieds (electrical and audio I think) of this site. Anyone interested in buying it off me, reply here, on that thread or email me. Smile

Meantime, I'm still getting steam from the coolant overflow bottle after the car has been shut off, which WOULD suggest a blown head gasket, but I'm not getting any oil in the coolant. Confused Brad (MR.2) is having this very same problem with his 3S-GTE as well, but his is an air-to-air intercooler setup. Brad's problem may well be due to not enough air getting into the intercooler or something similar, but mine being water-to-air it has a completely different setup. In effect the car now has two cooling systems. One for the engine and the other for the intercooler. The intercooler's cooling system has no problems with it on standard green coolant.

I have a few preventative measures to try out first before I go doing any major surgery that might not be needed. First I'll give Toyota Red coolant a go and maybe a lower-temperature thermostat to make the system run cooler. I ordered these from Penrith Toyota today so we'll see what comes of it all soon I guess. Smile

Cheers.
Mr.Whippy
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good work with the motor and all, but i think the car just looks plain stupid.

you should find out who those guys who broke into your car last time were... call em and tell em to come back and pick the rest of that shit heap up.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr whippy you crazy or you are stirring, but you cannot be serious

so much money and care has gone into making this something really special. Just cause it's not your cup of tea doesn't mean you should bag it..

Having watched this car get build from beginning to end has been an awesome journey and Andrew gets total respect from me for sticking at it despite super ongoing dramas and now with what is very soon to be to be the fastest, most-loved Rav4 in Aussieland

peace out
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Appreciate your concerns "Mr Whippy"? Confused

but some things you should just keep to yourself. I tell you what - why don't you click on the link for RAV4OZ.com in my sig and express your concerns there in the forums. Learn some fucking tact while you're at it. Surprised If you don't believe in originality then so be it... but don't go bagging out my ride because "you don't like it". If this is the case then be silent.

This only goes to affirm that you can't please everyone.

But there's always one.... Mad Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 06:43]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 22:54

so much money and care has gone into making this something really special. Just cause it's not your cup of tea doesn't mean you should bag it..

Having watched this car get build from beginning to end has been an awesome journey and Andrew gets total respect from me for sticking at it despite super ongoing dramas and now with what is very soon to be to be the fastest, most-loved Rav4 in Aussieland

peace out

appreciate your support Rob, cheers. Wink
Mr.Whippy
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 22:54

i'm all 3 actually. and i have every right to voice my opinion, im only commenting on the car, not the owner or his ambitions. if i said that he was an idiot for doing it and so on it would be different, i just personally dislike the rav4's and think what he has done only made that dislike stronger, in my opinion.

if anyone, especially the owner, takes it personally, then they are silly for doing so as its not directed at them. sure you could argue that it is aimed at the owner as the owner is usually attached to their beloved machine, but in my case its not, and i truely believe each to their own, and if he thinks it looks great, good on him, he can continue on as much as he wants.

attacking me for having a say and sharing my thoughts is worse.

my 2 cents.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think this is a thread about Andrew's car, the work he has put on it, and a history of just what all has gone into it, so I will not pollute it with drivel about who is attacking who, and whether your or anybody else personally gets horn when they see it.

Quote:

and i truely believe each to their own

why don't you keep it that way Wink As the old maxim says, "if you have nothing good to say...."

I think you know the rest Wink

peace
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr.Whippy wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 23:05

i'm all 3 actually. and i have every right to voice my opinion, im only commenting on the car, not the owner or his ambitions. if i said that he was an idiot for doing it and so on it would be different, i just personally dislike the rav4's and think what he has done only made that dislike stronger, in my opinion.

if anyone, especially the owner, takes it personally, then they are silly for doing so as its not directed at them. sure you could argue that it is aimed at the owner as the owner is usually attached to their beloved machine, but in my case its not, and i truely believe each to their own, and if he thinks it looks great, good on him, he can continue on as much as he wants.

attacking me for having a say and sharing my thoughts is worse.

my 2 cents.

Your 2 cents? Ok go spend it elsewhere... like http://www.rav4oz.com/forum/ (my site) where your opinions though voiced here amongst a wide variety of Toyota Modifiers, will certainly rub quite a few people's fur the wrong way amongst a heap of global RAV4 owners.

If you don't like RAV4's, go have a whinge to Toyota. They'll politely yawn at you over the phone or laugh at you in person, either way you're wasting your time and my tolerance. I can't believe you're bagging one of the 10 most influential cars the world has seen in the last century and using mine as the example.

While I'm showing everyone what you CAN do with a RAV4 you're shouting the convention down. As I said, go take it to my site, I'm sure they'll appreciate a great laugh at you while you get ripped to shreds. Tell them I sent you and give them my warmest regards while you're there. Wink

Thanks again Rob, keep the peace. Very Happy
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol np dude - stuff like that ain't on no matter where you live

end of discussion.. w3rd to Andrew Very Happy

now.. how IS that head gasket going? Smile
JealousKat
Regular

April 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i actually like the car but...

Quote:

one of the 10 most influential cars the world has seen in the last century

Confused
Mr.Whippy
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 23:17

Your 2 cents? Ok go spend it elsewhere... like http://www.rav4oz.com/forum/ (my site) where your opinions though voiced here amongst a wide variety of Toyota Modifiers, will certainly rub quite a few people's fur the wrong way amongst a heap of global RAV4 owners.

my intentions never were to rub anyones fur the wrong way, dont get that into your head.

If you don't like RAV4's, go have a whinge to Toyota. They'll politely yawn at you over the phone or laugh at you in person, either way you're wasting your time and my tolerance. I can't believe you're bagging one of the 10 most influential cars the world has seen in the last century and using mine as the example.

You are still obviously missing the point. I don't care if its one of the 10 most influential cars the world has seen. It is an opinion of mine, a personal preference, like I have said already, if you or anyone else takes my opinions personally, then you are all very silly.

While I'm showing everyone what you CAN do with a RAV4 you're shouting the convention down. As I said, go take it to my site, I'm sure they'll appreciate a great laugh at you while you get ripped to shreds. Tell them I sent you and give them my warmest regards while you're there. Wink

Not once did I say to stop modifying your rav4, or any rav4's in general, I'd never tell someone what to do with their own car, its your own choice, don't go putting words into my mouth.

Why would I bother going to a forum full of rav4 fans? All the replies I'd get in return to read would be like sitting on a cactus, a pain in the ass. It's great to see people doing 'new' things with cars people haven't tried before, I'm all for it, what i'm not for is people who take on a real arrogant, asshole like attitude just because their car isnt, as youd put it, 'their cup of tea'.

GOOD DAY SIR!

Enough with the hostility

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2004 13:39]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah as mentioned in one of the earlier posts on the last page, I'm getting the compression tested on each cylinder to determine whether the head gasket is the problem or not. I got a 4L bottle of Toyota Red coolant and an (expensive Shocked) 71° TRD racing thermostat. All of this in the effort to get the cooling temperatures down somewhat. The temperature gauge I already got, just needs to get fitted up in a 'legal' fashion. I go and see my mechanic on Monday to get things underway, and also to make up a custom heatshield for the exhaust manifold.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JealousKat wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 23:30

Quote:

Confused

I know how it sounds, it comes from some American magazine published last year... can't remember which one. Rolling Eyes
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JealousKat wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 23:30

Quote:

Confused

Notice how many car companies put out smaller 4wds after the Rav 4 became popular? What was there before? Lada Niva? (I had one of these Very Happy) that small Suzuki 4wd? (the name eludes me). Since the Rav 4 got popular you now have Nissan Xtrails, Honda CRVs, Ford Explorer (I think that's the one..) etc etc.

Also Mr.Whippy if your intentions were never to rub anyone the wrong way, why post at all? Constructive criticizm is alot different to out and out slandering. Personally if it was me, I'd do all the wing mirrors / bonnet flutes etc the same colour as the rest of the paint. But it's Andrews car, and he's done a damn fine job of it. I'd love to see it in person Very Happy
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr.Whippy wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 23:36

my intentions never were to rub anyones fur the wrong way, dont get that into your head.

Quote:

It is an opinion of mine, a personal preference, like I have said already, if you or anyone else takes my opinions personally, then you are all very silly.

Quote:

Not once did I say to stop modifying your rav4, or any rav4's in general, I'd never tell someone what to do with their own car, its your own choice, don't go putting words into my mouth.

Quote:

i think the car just looks plain stupid.

you should find out who those guys who broke into your car last time were... call em and tell em to come back and pick the rest of that shit heap up.

Hey, you don't want the abuse, then don't bring it here.

Quote:

Why would I bother going to a forum full of rav4 fans? All the replies I'd get in return to read would be like sitting on a cactus, a pain in the ass.

Now you're getting the point (pun intended).

Quote:

I'm all for it, what i'm not for is people who take on a real arrogant, asshole like attitude...

Enough with the hostility

Believe me, my sentiments exactly. Like I said, you don't like it, don't bring it. Twisted Evil
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peeack wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 23:46

Notice how many car companies put out smaller 4wds after the Rav 4 became popular? What was there before? Lada Niva? (I had one of these Very Happy) that small Suzuki 4wd? (the name eludes me). Since the Rav 4 got popular you now have Nissan Xtrails, Honda CRVs, Ford Explorer (I think that's the one..) etc etc.

Yeah you're thinking of the Suzuki Sierra, the tin-can 1.3L powered micro 4WD of the time. I almost bought one of these about 10 years ago. The RAV4 brought about the advent of the commonly-known "softroader" category, followed by the CR-V, HR-V, the Ford Exploder, the Renault Scenic, the Kia Sportage, the Nissan X-Trail and a whole host of others (over 40 in total), and now Toyota has combined the technology and physiology of the Prado and the RAV4 to introduce a new category called the "crossover 4WD" known as the Kluger. This has a 3MZ-FE (3.3L VVT-i) engine and enough accessories and capability on and off the road to point a shitty stick at.

Quote:

Also Mr.Whippy if your intentions were never to rub anyone the wrong way, why post at all? Constructive criticizm is alot different to out and out slandering.

Agreed.

Quote:

Personally if it was me, I'd do all the wing mirrors / bonnet flutes etc the same colour as the rest of the paint. But it's Andrews car, and he's done a damn fine job of it. I'd love to see it in person Very Happy

I gave it two colours because I wanted to see a contrast in colouring between two pearlescent paints. It was either purple or silver, and purple won out. Very Happy Everyone I've talked to likes it, and the reaction is evident when you see it. Wink
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr.Whippy wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 22:45

good work with the motor and all, but i think the car just looks plain stupid.

Mr Whippy, you are a dick.

I personally don't like the car either (too riced for me), but can appreciate the enormous efforts and cash spent doing this conversion.

You could state you feelings in a much better way and pass on the positive comment, but hold back on the 'stupid' comment.
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a shame that being an individual and expressing
it can rub people to the point of putting shit on
peoples good work. Sad
Andrew has done something different to the norm and
built a car with street cred.
I'm sure alot of his ideas will appear in other
peoples projects one day Smile
Everyones entitled to their opinion sure, but if its just to bag someone or something out dont promote it here, where
people look to appreciate things Very Happy
Andrew, treat mr whippy with the respect he deserves - none Evil or Very Mad
keep doing what your doing - we appreciate it Very Happy

oh, and before I forget - mr whippy if your reading this
what do you drive so we can pass judgement on your
fine work hehehe
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Troy, I deliberately held-out on slagging his ride because the abuse was pointed at mine (according to him, not specifically, but just RAV4's), and I didn't want to turn it into a flame war where both party's cars were involved. That's assuming he actually does drive a car. Razz Sounds like he drives round in an icecream van... hehehe

Regardless, I ain't got time for morons... I got a car to showcase instead. Very Happy

Cheers.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dear Mr Whippy

You're a wanker. Go suck on some guy's dick, something you are obviously highly skilled in.

kindest regards

Daniel

PS I hope your not offended i am only voicing my opinion and it wasn't directed at you.

(edit: Nice rav 4 one of a kind!)

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2004 22:36]

1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 08:25

Regardless, I ain't got time for morons... I got a car to showcase instead. Very Happy

Cheers.

thats what we're all here for so keep doing what your doing Smile
and I hope the coolant & thermostat helps with your prob Very Happy
keep us informed

cheers
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
munki wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 08:34

Dear Mr Whippy

You're a wanker. Go suck on some guy's dick, something you are obviously highly skilled in.

kindest regards

Daniel

PS I hope your not offended i am only voicing my opinion and it wasn't directed at you.

(edit: Nice rav 4 one of a kind!)

hahaha well said!
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You guys will be among the first to hear it whenever anything happens to this lil' beastie.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 13 October 2004 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 00:36

Everyone I've talked to likes it, and the reaction is evident when you see it. Wink

Considered the slender possibility that everyone you have spoken to is polite?
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Thu, 14 October 2004 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I have, but why would there be all this positive feedback about it? Not everyone knows how to be polite you know, and going by your last comment, you should know. This car will always have it's "knockers", but that's what I choose to ignore, especially considering that you haven't seen it up-close yet have you?
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Thu, 14 October 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look this isn't a friggin popularity contest. If you like what I've done to my ride, post up some feedback. All suggestions, useful help and constructive criticism are welcomed.

If you don't like what you see, or you're here to just take the piss out of it, go away. It's not welcome. You're wasting your time, my time and everyone else that reads this' time as well.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Thu, 14 October 2004 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your car has a set of knockers? Natural or implants? Razz
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Thu, 14 October 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No No No I was waiting for that... hehehe

Maybe not knockers, but definitely a big round set of kahuna's! Shocked Surgically-attached, mind you... I wanna get this ECU in and tuned up so I know what it can do on the street and strip. Evil or Very Mad I know it'sll definitely be a lot better than what it is now. Nod
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Thu, 14 October 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any chance of getting some video(s) done of it when it's ready to go? for us poor souls that arn't in / around sydney?
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Thu, 14 October 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For sure - when the ECU gets dropped in and road-tuned, I'll be heading down to Wollongong to Southern Motorworks and getting the top-end tweaked on the AWD dyno they have. I'll have one of my mates Tats (Andrew) there with his video camera shooting away while my bitch turns the rollers.

But first thing's first - cooling sorted, THEN ECU fitting and tuning. I'd say the tuning will probably happen late this month or early next month.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 15 October 2004 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your car is sweet dude and it would go like an animal Very Happy

my parents have a prado and i have become wuite accustomed to taking it four wheel driving Smile if your ever in adelaide and keen for a drive through the sand drop me a line and ill show you some decent spots! Very Happy
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 15 October 2004 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, on a RAV4 dropped 65mm all-round with chrome rims and low-profile rubber... I think I'll pass on that one, but thanks for the offer. Wink I know she's capable, but I don't wanna go pushing it.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 15 October 2004 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you got the origninal rims dont ya? Very Happy
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 15 October 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah but as capable as it might be off-road, to me it's an on-road RAV4 only. The stock rims are in the garage and rubber-less. Rolling Eyes The most off-roading I've ever done in it is driving it up my parents' front yard (2 acres of frontage) filled with pot-holes and other nasties that my current suspension setup would shudder at. Shocked
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 15 October 2004 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol ok man no worries Smile

more fun for me Very Happy
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 16 October 2004 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL
I got your license plate after seeing your sig straight away Razz
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sun, 17 October 2004 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Support your loval Adoniser ! Smile

Hehe - Still looking the goods Andrew - keen still to see how the conversion goes putting the Gt4 power thru the high riser kit youve got there Wink

Mines giving me dramas as ever but yeah - we'll have some decent figures abeilt stock turbo soon enough - just got to repair a few sensors and crap now
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sun, 17 October 2004 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Stu, I'll find out what's causing my problems tomorrow hopefully. Get the temp gauge hooked up (maybe even fitted), adjust belts, change over oil, change over coolant, change over thermostat, replace reversing switch assembly on the gearbox (I got no reversing lights), fit up top timing belt cover, find out what the bloody hell is making the rattling noise in the back... I might not see it again for a few days. Sad
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Mon, 18 October 2004 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 14:56

For sure - when the ECU gets dropped in and road-tuned, I'll be heading down to Wollongong to Southern Motorworks and getting the top-end tweaked on the AWD dyno they have. I'll have one of my mates Tats (Andrew) there with his video camera shooting away while my bitch turns the rollers.

One video camera, and at least 2 still cameras getting all angles Wink As long as I'm not in Melbourne (6th-11th November)
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Mon, 18 October 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know how long my car will be at Chris's place for, but I dropped it off there this morning. He's making up a custom heatshield for the exhaust manifold and fixing up a few niggles as well. My guess is it may be off the road when it's rego is due (31st), and the ECU would have possibly arrived by then, so there is a chance that it could be tuned up before you go down to Melbourne Tats. Wink
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Thu, 21 October 2004 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I got my car back inside of 2 days, a pretty quick turnaround. Very Happy

The car seems to be handling the temp's better now that I have most of the related issues sorted. On the temp gauge, it barely goes above 170°F (or about 75°C). Since the alternator belt was tightened up, I've noticed that the external fuel pump is a lot louder than it was earlier. Something I also noticed yesterday morning... once the car is warm and has been driven for about 20km in peak hour traffic, if you roll up to a set of lights, stop and then go after a few seconds, when you release the clutch, the car jolts forward and almost stalls. It picks up again and then behaves normally, until the next similar situation. It sometimes does this around low-speed corners when the car's still warm as well. I think this is a fuel-related issue, but can't really be sure on it. If it were fuel-related, wouldn't it be doing it all the time?

This one's got me a bit stuffed... Confused
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 22 October 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you get one problem sorted and then another shows up fuck man i really feel for ya as i know the feeling Mad
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 22 October 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well while I don't know the cause of the jolt, it feels like either flooding or starving. It does the same thing (only a minor hesitation) when it's boosting up around 10Psi. It only does this once then continues as normal. As mentioned before the fuel pump is buzzing really loud when I go to turn it off, but I don't know if it's fuel pump-related or fuel pressure regulator-related. The gauge on the reg said about 38Psi before it went in this week, but don't know what's it's reading now. It could have picked up a bit more since the timing belt was tightened up and the fuel pump has gotten louder. I think it could be pumping in more fuel than before so the regulator gauge reading may have gone up too.

I can feel the poor car retarding on boost however. It wants to go harder, but the ECU and the timing are just not doing it any favours. Sad
Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 22 October 2004 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Andrew,
Im ex owner of the rav and had one a while back. Tell you the truth I was tempted to drop my ST185 group A motor into it but now that I have read your history Im glad I didnt Laughing It was a 2 door cruiser pack.

Im not a fan of chrome rims but on a car like this it goes well. $pinner$ would have sealed the deal. The vent on the bonnet is all good as I know how much heat needs to escape with your setup but I would have gone the pre moulded GT4 bonnet as seen on RAV 4 (rip) and SWOOOP. I wonder if Ultimate Suspension still got the moulds as they also had a black Rav4 with a fiberglass version of this bonnet.

The purple bits make the car look a bit funny, mind you getting your ass handed down to you by a 3SGTE powered Rav would suddenly see that its not so amusing Twisted Evil I am suprised you didnt go aftermarket in the ECU dept as it would have been alot easier and more flexable in the future.

Hope all gets sorted and get to see it in full flight at the nats. Very Happy

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 22 October 2004 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Puffy, the ECU came with the front-cut when I bought it, so I figured it's better than not having one at all until I get the ST205 AP Engineering unit from Japan.

Spinner rims? Laughing Laughing RRRIIIIICCCEE!!!!!!! Dude that's one grain of rice I just can't swallow. No No No Confused

I thought about the GT4 scoop as seen on Neal Daniel's RAV4, but I already had the EL XR-6 vents on the sides to conform with the shape of the bonnet before I thought about turbo'ing it. If I wanted to go the GT4 scoop route, I guess I could grab a second-hand RAV4 bonnet and get Ultimate Suspension to make up a kit for it (they still have the mould there, I checked). Very Happy I also thought about a CF bonnet too but I'd have to get it from the US and these aren't cheap either.

The purple adds contrast to the colouring - I just didn't want to have a mono-tonal car, but also couldn't afford the thousands in paintwork for Harlequin/Chameleon colours, favouring instead to get individual parts painted up for contrast. Wink Individual painting of parts has so far cost me just under $1000 with only the lower panelling left to do.

Puffy, there would be a lot fewer issues with dropping in a 3S-GTE into the RAV4 if it were in working order to start with. Smile Nod That way you can work around the parts that are functioning properly to enhance the stuff that needs doing like fuel delivery, braking, etc.

In full-flight? You betcha. Evil or Very Mad Seeya there, if not sooner. Very Happy
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 23 October 2004 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha that thing is awesome.. total transformation
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 23 October 2004 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The temporary lag in power with your new ECU could be from the fuel pump.
In its stock setup the 3SGTE's ECU lowers the voltage given to the fuel pump (via relay) when fuel demand is low (e.g. idling).
The tuner would probably need to take this into account when tuning the ecu.

re: BHG have you sorted this out yet?
I still really don't believe that the head gasket (TRD MLM) would blow with less than 20psi of boost.
If you want to come around we can test your compression.
Also remember my car was doing the same thing when I was running water / radiator flush and it is sweet as now with a 50:50 mix of red... maybe whoever mixed it mixed it wrong... would be an easy mistake to make considering most coolants run from 25:75 to 40:60 mixes.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 23 October 2004 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting info there Toobs, thank for that. Wink I'm still running on the standard 3S-GTE ECU now, and I did notice that the fuel pressure reading on the regulator gauge had gone down to about 30Psi. This could be what's causing the temporary hesitation when it's warm.

Chris (the guy who built my engine) did a compression test on it and apparently all cylinders are equal, meaning no head gasket issues. One thing that DID raise my eyebrows was the fact that it was reading 190Psi on all cylinders, which sounds very high for a turbo'd engine. Shocked

Anyway the temp gauge is in and doesn't go past 75°C with the new coolant in and the TRD thermostat. No bubble-overs in the coolant reservoir either, so I think that issue has been sorted.

I'd like to know why the cylinder compression is so high though. One suggestion was because the block was swapped over for an ST185 when we discovered the ST205 unit was cracked while it was in the building phase. I'm wondering how much this would affect the compression seeing that the pistons and rods are for a 3S-GTE engine (non-specific)... Confused I spoke to a few people about having a copper head gasket on the engine as well, and they said they wouldn't do it to this engine. I didn't find out why.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 29 October 2004 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben at BEL Garage (Homebush) reckons the compression figures per cylinder could also be because I had the block decked when it was in rebuild phase. Also the head work could very well have seen some shaving which may have been necessary but not good for boost. No No No

The fuel delivery issue continues as the Bosch pump gives more clues as to why it's doing what it's doing. Confused It seems to be determined by both "load" and "motion" of the fuel in the tank being delivered through the primary (stock 3S-FE) pump which is filtered into the secondary Bosch pump. Taking into consideration what Toobs mentioned earlier about the relay used in the GT-Four, I'm also wondering if a surge tank would be out of the equation? If the problem is indeed load and motion based, would a surge tank aid in helping solve this issue?

Bagged some icy-white wedge base bulbs to replace the stockies in the AutoMeter gauges. Swapped them over tonight and the results are great. No more shitty-yellow-white to glimpse at... but these new bulbs don't detract your attention away from the road unlike some other dial setup's. If only swapping over the OEM instrument cluster lighting was as easy... Rolling Eyes

Coolant/overheating issues seemed to have worked themselves out now, but this fuel thing is bugging me a bit. Confused
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 29 October 2004 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could you just get rid of the 3s-fe pump and put in a single gt4 pump?

im sure a 7mgte pump would fit in the tank, dont need the bosch pump

Confused
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 30 October 2004 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thought about it, but what about the fuel hardware (fittings, etc.) that have been put in place specifically for the bosch pump? What other pumps will fit in the 3S-FE fuel tank that can feed 540cc injectors? Shocked If I could resort to just using a single pump, I'd do it. First I have to find out what could do the job. Rolling Eyes
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sun, 31 October 2004 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Still no word on the ECU? I won't be around from this Thursday (4th) till next Thursday1(11th), but very free (and probably quite bored) after that.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sun, 31 October 2004 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tats I emailed the guy supplying the ECU yesterday, and I ordered him not to wait until the hand controller arrived before sending out the ECU. So in other words, it's coming over by itself now and I'll get the hand controller when it comes in, which he's still waiting on. The guys at BEL can road-tune it with their laptop and connection thingy to my ECU, that's no problem.

This guy with the ECU in Japan said he'd be shipping it tomorrow after they do a stocktake today. From then it's about another 7 days in transit. Rolling Eyes
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sun, 31 October 2004 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3s-gte should feed it quite nicely and fit up no hassles.

in an ae92 a 7mgte or 3sgte pump was a great direct replacement fix so you would think the 3s-fe would be very similair IMHO Cool
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sun, 31 October 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll look into it a little further and see what can be done. How many litres per hour does the 3S-GTE fuel pump flow at?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Mon, 01 November 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Re: Compression
The BGB for the ST185 says compression should be "above" 164PSI in all cylinders.
I wouldn't worry about having 190PSI... to be honest I would be cheering if I had 190 in all four cylinders!
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Mon, 01 November 2004 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And the ST205 should be above 148PSI in all cylinders... but does having 190PSI instead of 148 or 164 *increase* the compression ratio? Thereby lessening the scope for higher boost if needed?
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Tue, 02 November 2004 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
What you've done is special. keep up the good work andrew. I'd be happy cruising in that RAV4. Rice an All.
Pages (8): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:tims ae 92 sx
Next Topic:My '91 "Baby" Camtegra
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:52:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010116100311279 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.