Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Metal HG for 20V turbo application

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Metal HG for 20V turbo application Tue, 28 September 2004 23:42 Go to next message
Hey people,

Just after opinions on what I should do regarding the topic. I have just bought an 8mm TRD metal HG which I was going to use when I put in bigger cams and did a bit of headwork, but now it looks like I have a turbo kit lined up instead.

I'm thinking the 8mm would still be worthwhile with the turbo, but I reckon a thicker metal gasket could be the go to reduce compression and hopefully help with longevity as well. I'm unsure whether the stock 20V HG is 8mm as well.

Any ideas?

Jeremy.
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Metal HG for 20V turbo application Wed, 29 September 2004 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Using a head gasket to lower the compression isn't a good idea. Make sure your tuning is spot on and you use an IC and you shouldn't have any problem.

Example: There is a turbocharged S2000 over here in Perth with factory internals, thats like 11:1+ compression ratio Razz
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Metal HG for 20V turbo application Wed, 29 September 2004 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate. The kit comes with a fairly sizeable Garrett intercooler, so that should be ok.

So running the 8mm TRD gasket should be fine, yeah?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Metal HG for 20V turbo application Wed, 29 September 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know what the 20v comes with factory, if its close to the same size I couldn't see why there would be any problems.
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: Metal HG for 20V turbo application Wed, 29 September 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it be 0.8mm thick

pretty much the same as a standard one but metal and maybe stronger?

how much did u pay for it and where did u get it i need one as i need to pull the head off to do my valve stem seals

i have sourced some gze low comp pistons in a complete bottom end for mine as was thinking about doing turbo coversion too but might be to much effort only time will see...
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Metal HG for 20V turbo application Wed, 29 September 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, sorry, I meant to type 0.8mm....

I'll find out if the place I got it has anymore and get back to you man. I paid a lot less than what they usually retail for.

As for the block/pistons, I'm not bothering with mine.... Only gonna be running around 7psi anyways.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Metal HG for 20V turbo application Wed, 29 September 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would assume the standard HG would be at least 1-1.2mm, to make the aftermarket 0.8 of some benefit. And then ideally with a metal HG you'd wanna machine both the head & block, but that would most likely leave you with a relatively sky high C/R.
A thicker HG is not always the best solution, but is the easiest, and the only time they're really bad is if you use 2 head gaskets together or something as dodgy as a spacer plate. HKS head gaskets come in .2mm steps from .8mm to 2.0mm, and you should be able to pick one up for around $160.
I used a 1.6mm thick one, with 8.9:1 GZE pistons but with a machined block & head (16V), & ended up with 9:1 C/R, according to my hopefully accurate calculations.

You really would be better with something a tad thicker rather than thinner.

See you on sunday slut, I'm looking forward to seeing your car. Wink
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Metal HG for 20V turbo application Thu, 30 September 2004 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Joel,

We'll talk more in-depth about this on Sunday no doubt!

Looking forward to catching up with you and getting the latest on your beast!

Dunno if I will have my car there on Sunday. If Jabbit takes his truck (depending on rain), I may drive his new Sprinter out.

Cheers,

Jeremy.
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: Metal HG for 20V turbo application Thu, 30 September 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you know retail on the metal head gasket?

im going to need either one of these or a standard one soon as well as some other gaskets for the head

do u know anywhere other then penrith toyota that sells stuff like this for the 20v?
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Metal HG for 20V turbo application Thu, 30 September 2004 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD gaskets like mine apparently retail for about $240... Hang in there as I might be able to sell you mine for much less than that.
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: Metal HG for 20V turbo application Thu, 30 September 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kool just pm me and let me know when ur ready

id swap some stuff for it if ur interested
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: Metal HG for 20V turbo application Fri, 01 October 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much??? yikes ill sell you 2 for $240 aus...

the stock thickness of a ae101 silver top head gasket is 1.25mm.
i have had ppl doubling up to get a thicker metal gasket, seems to work ok as the TRD one is made of thin sheets of metal so doubling is just like adding more sheets.
they also come in 0.5mm sizes
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: Metal HG for 20V turbo application Fri, 01 October 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would u sell one?
psychofox
Regular

April 2004
Re: Metal HG for 20V turbo application Sat, 02 October 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE101 20V 0.8mm TRD Head gaskets were $157 last time I called Castle Hill Toyota. And they had them on the shelf...
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Metal HG for 20V turbo application Sat, 02 October 2004 10:37 Go to previous message
psychofox wrote on Sat, 02 October 2004 20:33

AE101 20V 0.8mm TRD Head gaskets were $157 last time I called Castle Hill Toyota. And they had them on the shelf...

Really? Well I've cetainly been mis-informed! Glad I didn't pay more than that then.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Extractors
Next Topic:Grinding sound, wheel bearings?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 10:12:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074410438537598 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.