Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tangcla
Regular

September 2003
  www.tangcla.com
3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Sun, 02 May 2004 02:35 Go to next message
Hi all,

I drive an AE112 Corolla - looking at performance upgrade options.

My options are:
Turbocharging the 7A-FE
Transplanting a blacktop 4A-GE
Transplanting a 3S-GTE

I need it to be street/road-legal, so if I transplant, I need to get a 2000-onwards engine... now, does anyone know whether the 3S-GTE came out in any cars post-2000?
  Send a private message to this user    
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Mon, 03 May 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no they stoped production of the 3sgte in the celica st205 and the sw20 99 model. so 1999 was the last production of the 3sgte

also what would this transplant be for just the power factor or track or race.... if its track dont do the 3s its too heavy you will be understeering everywhere...
but otherwise do it for sure!

Good luck
tangcla
Regular

September 2003
  www.tangcla.com
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Mon, 03 May 2004 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi MR.2, thanks for that Smile I'm probably going to get a "Beams" 3S-GE in my car instead.

Not really for track use, just a bit more power. The 7A-FE isn't the gutsiest engine Wink
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Mon, 03 May 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The new (2004) Matrix / Alltrac / GT-Four thingy (ST246) has a 3SGTE... I think we're all waiting for some to get crashed so we can score some gen 4 3SGTE's
tangcla
Regular

September 2003
  www.tangcla.com
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Mon, 03 May 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Mon, 03 May 2004 12:35

The new (2004) Matrix / Alltrac / GT-Four thingy (ST246) has a 3SGTE... I think we're all waiting for some to get crashed so we can score some gen 4 3SGTE's

lol... I don't even want to think about how much it would cost to get hold of one of those Confused
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Mon, 03 May 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If only I had a spare 3 million yen (~$37K AU)and was a Japanese resident!
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Mon, 03 May 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure the 3SGTE has come out recently in a Caldina. Afraid I don't know where to check that though.

And do some careful research on the BEAMS 3SGE. I have heard they don't run a standard fuel rail and pressure reg, the ECU controls the fuel pump to run faster or slower to control the fuel pressure. So transfer into another car may be a headache.

I am no fountain of knowledge on this so have a good dig around.

Hen
tangcla
Regular

September 2003
  www.tangcla.com
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Mon, 03 May 2004 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henn wrote on Mon, 03 May 2004 23:44

I'm pretty sure the 3SGTE has come out recently in a Caldina. Afraid I don't know where to check that though.

And do some careful research on the BEAMS 3SGE. I have heard they don't run a standard fuel rail and pressure reg, the ECU controls the fuel pump to run faster or slower to control the fuel pressure. So transfer into another car may be a headache.

I am no fountain of knowledge on this so have a good dig around.

Hen

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

Probably won't be any time TOO soon, so yeah... I'll probably change my mind a few times anyway Very Happy lol
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Tue, 04 May 2004 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Matrix is the American name for the Japanese Caldina.
The Matrix is not available with the 3S-GTE, but the Caldina is.

My suggestion would be either a 1ZZ-FE or 2ZZ-FE from the Corolla or Celica. There are turbo & supercharger kits available for these, plus the engine is from a locally delivered car ==> much easier to find & get parts for.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 May 2004 04:39]

tangcla
Regular

September 2003
  www.tangcla.com
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Tue, 04 May 2004 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wagonist wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 14:35

My suggestion would be either a 1ZZ-FE or 2ZZ-FE from the Corolla or Celica. There are turbo & supercharger kits available for these, plus the engine is from a locally delivered car ==> much easier to find & get parts for.

Been told it won't fit Sad
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Tue, 04 May 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
People used to say that about the 3S into Corolla's too.
Measure it up to check for yourself before its dismissed, unless they're mounted in some weird way.
tangcla
Regular

September 2003
  www.tangcla.com
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Tue, 04 May 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wagonist wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 16:49

People used to say that about the 3S into Corolla's too.
Measure it up to check for yourself before its dismissed, unless they're mounted in some weird way.

ok, will do. Thanks Smile
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Tue, 04 May 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The BEAMS 3S-GE is readily available from NZ... a mate of mine there runs one in his RAV4, and it howls around the tracks. He came off Pukekohe a couple of weekends ago feeling satisfied that he'd beaten the crap of of a Subaru B4 turbo around that track. The BEAMS engines have some ridiculous redline, like about 8000 or something... more like the capabilities of a Honda engine. Probably worth looking into if you're after N/A performance. Wink

If it's a 3S-GTE you're after, I resurrected one from a full Jap-import ST205 GT-Four which had been written off. Putting this into a RAV4 has been a lengthy process in which I've had to source parts from everywhere, and where I can't get them, Toyota Japan has had to suffice. ($$) I wouldn't recommend doing a conversion like this, not unless you're in short supply of headaches and have a wad of cash to throw at it. Might be a bit easier if the 3S-GTE you get is functional and in good condition though. Rolling Eyes
tangcla
Regular

September 2003
  www.tangcla.com
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Tue, 04 May 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll probably end up getting the Blacktop... a lot easier for me to fit in, none of this custom work! Smile
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Tue, 04 May 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I recomend the blacktop 4A-GE 20v. Its a reduction in capasity, but its a Corolla Levin motor and almost a bolt in conversion. And they rev hard to make up for capasity. Don't expect it to be twice the power of a 7A-FE, its only 160hp. Turbo charging the 7A-FE would probably give more power.

3S-GE is not a bolt in job. It can be done but takes alot of work. 3S-GE Beams would be harder.

1ZZ-FE would not realy be a upgrade. The 7A-FE feels just as good. To swap would be a waste of time. As a side note, both the AE112 and new ZZE122 both use the same C52 gearbox.

The 2ZZ-GE is a very nice engine, but so is the 20 valve. The 20valve bolts in, and a bit of work and money would be needed to get a 2ZZ-GE for only a tad more power.
tangcla
Regular

September 2003
  www.tangcla.com
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Tue, 04 May 2004 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that Johnny. I'm leaning more towards the 4A-GE as well.

Thing is, I want to turbocharge the 7A-FE, but being an engine not designed for performance, it has a very low redline, and also it has weak internals, which would obviously be subject to abnormally large amount of strain once the turbo is in.

If I get the 4A-GE, I'll get the 6spd gearbox as well Very Happy
suff
Regular

April 2004

Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Fri, 01 October 2004 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tangcla have you done any more reasearch on this swap as I am looking at doing the samething with my AE112r Smile let me know if you have had any joy
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Fri, 01 October 2004 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice car so far Very Happy

What engine did the rally version have? unless it's been suggested, or impossible, put that one in. Should be a decent power upgrade no? Very Happy
tangcla
Regular

September 2003
  www.tangcla.com
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Fri, 01 October 2004 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suff wrote on Sat, 02 October 2004 01:10

tangcla have you done any more reasearch on this swap as I am looking at doing the samething with my AE112r Smile let me know if you have had any joy

nope, no more research done... Razz

Haven't had time! Been kinda looking at turbocharging the 7A-FE...
Galactic Soap
Regular

December 2003
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Sat, 02 October 2004 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was going to go down your path to mate, only thing is I have an aussie delivered AE101 Sedan. I looked at 3sgte, but I decided/ushered to go down the 4AGTE Route, so, that is allways another option, nice median, between the 3sgte swap, the 20 valve swap.

Cheers
Soapy
tangcla
Regular

September 2003
  www.tangcla.com
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Sat, 02 October 2004 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know, blacktop 4A-GE is the only 4A I can go for legality (EPA) reasons. But with that, I'll never be able to get forced induction...

I'm tossing up between turbocharge or supercharge at the moment. Which is better?
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Sun, 03 October 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you thought about the model like yours but the turbo version which was a limited edition a couple of years back?

Cheers
tangcla
Regular

September 2003
  www.tangcla.com
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Sun, 03 October 2004 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 09:35

Have you thought about the model like yours but the turbo version which was a limited edition a couple of years back?

Yep, I wanted to buy the manifold and turbo from Toyota.

$2400 for the manifold
$6000 for the little IHI turbo

err, no thanks... at those prices, I'll just go custom thanks Very Happy
The guy goes, I don't blame ya Laughing
Darola
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Mon, 04 October 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey there mate, why dont u just look for a turbo kit for the 7a and run low boost, thats all the factory turbo model is.

that way u get abit more power to have some fun.

also if u wanted the 20v u could also turbo that after awhile,
do the same, turbo kit and aftermarket ecu, 20v will be fine to run on 10psi in standard form, just need to change the ecu

Eddie
(Darola)
tangcla
Regular

September 2003
  www.tangcla.com
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Mon, 04 October 2004 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darola wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 11:19

Hey there mate, why dont u just look for a turbo kit for the 7a and run low boost, thats all the factory turbo model is.

that way u get abit more power to have some fun.

also if u wanted the 20v u could also turbo that after awhile,
do the same, turbo kit and aftermarket ecu, 20v will be fine to run on 10psi in standard form, just need to change the ecu

Eddie
(Darola)

yeah, I will probably end up running low boost 7A-FTE. Still trying to find out whether te 7A-GE hybrid conversion is worth doing (ie. how hard it is to do)... any recommendations?
acreese
Regular

May 2004
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Mon, 04 October 2004 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.corollaperformance.com/Mods/Engine/7AGE .html

Check that one out mate,

some tasty power indeed mentioned there.

-Adam
tangcla
Regular

September 2003
  www.tangcla.com
Re: 3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?! Mon, 04 October 2004 22:50 Go to previous message
acreese wrote on Tue, 05 October 2004 01:01

http://www.corollaperformance.com/Mods/Engine/7AGE .html

Check that one out mate,

some tasty power indeed mentioned there.

-Adam

I saw that before... can't get in contact with the guy though, the CGI script he uses to contact him doesn't work Sad

I want to know whether the 7A-GE is economically feasible to do (ie. how much it will cost for a start) and what the power gains are. Also which one would be more suited for turbo/supercharging.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sr20det + ae86 info
Next Topic:"Ideal" offset (general question, and yes I do know what offset & backspace mean!)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:58:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065441131591797 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.