Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mycress
Occasional Poster

May 2004
icon13.gif  Wacky 1GGTE Mon, 05 July 2004 06:08 Go to next message
Well...got myself a new headache... Whenever i start up the motor, the RPM shoots all the way up to 4K...And no signs of it goin down.

It all happened when i was crusing the highway, let my foot of the accelerator pedal and the car still goes, stepped on the clutch, the RPM shot up....

My mate guessed the problem is somehow related to the stepper motor. How do i check whether it is workin or not?????

Currently the 1GGTE has the following issues:
- Top head leaking (Losing Motor oil)Not sure issit gasket related or not. Blue smoke comes out the zorst on startup

- Trouble code says im runnin lean, whereas the plugs are fouled.Fuel pressure related ????Rough on idle/misses alot

- GX60 Cressida lowered to the drivers side. New shocks/2nd hand springs... Could be related to an absober mounting??

- And the latest, wacky engine revs......

Any help guys???
  Send a private message to this user    
walkie
Regular

October 2003
Re: Wacky 1GGTE Mon, 05 July 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you have a boost gauge? Is it running correct boost pressure? My 4AGZE was getting stuck at high revs, and only running 3psi all of a sudden. We tracked it down to an intercooler pipe that hadn't been put back in properly.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wacky 1GGTE Mon, 05 July 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have an air leak somewhere in the inlet system. This explains the high idle and the lean condition. The stepper motor in the idle air control valve is unlikely to be the cause; even if it was stuck wide open I doubt the engine would rev to 4k.
walkie
Regular

October 2003
Re: Wacky 1GGTE Mon, 05 July 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had quite a significant leak, mine was getting stuck at 7500rpm! not a good thing, as I had to just switch it off like this a few times
Bert
Regular

May 2003
Re: Wacky 1GGTE Mon, 05 July 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it AFM? i had dramas with my gze revving by itself cause the spring in the AFM wasnt set correctly. the guy that owned it before me had messed with it and it was too loose which caused the flap to move to easily and increase RPM. have a the the spring setup under the black cover on the AFM se if it moves alot with engine running.

the blue smoke on start up could be related to valve guide wear or valve stem seals are shot. i see this abit in our workshop with gas cars. that would explain the oil usage too.
hope that helped abit
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Wacky 1GGTE Mon, 05 July 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i realy doult its the air leek thats giving you strife, cause the 1ggte being a afm engine, the engine would stall rather than have a high idle

and it wouldnt be boosting unless it had load

check the throttle aint jammed somewhere, also rest the computer and check that nothing has come loose in the electrical connections

cheers craig
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wacky 1GGTE Mon, 05 July 2004 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The engine won't stall if the air leak is relatively minor. Remember the O2 sensor can compensate the fuel mixtures to a certain degree at idle too.
mycress
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Wacky 1GGTE Thu, 30 September 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Updates!!!

- Replaced my fuel pump to a bosch 910 series,
- replaced new front absobers, front bushings replaced (all of em!)
- fitted a boost gauge and also an Air Fuel Ratio guage.
- fitted a fuel regulator (currently set at 40psi)

Observation after the above was done:

- knocking during high RPMs/boosts
- engine jerks durin boostin
- idles like crap!
- BOV (vent to atmosphere)sucks air while idlin
- AFM spring was adjusted.
- AFR meter shows a bit of Lean while crusin.

While the AFM was adjusted, is there anyway to re-adjust it to the stock position?

Should i increase the fuel pressure to eliminate the boosting issue? Max boost reached was around 0.6

Can the leaky BOV cause the car to run lean while crusin? AFR was around STOICH when it was first fired up (morning starts) and slowly it progresses to LEAN during drives.....

Any suggestions will do great mates.... Thanks again...
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Wacky 1GGTE Thu, 30 September 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
================================================
BOV (vent to atmosphere)sucks air while idlin
================================================
dont u need to run plub back with an AFM?
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Wacky 1GGTE Fri, 01 October 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Plumb back is nicer but I think you can do without it, the engine just runs real rich for the second when it opens.

I don't think the BOV should be sucking air though, can you twist down a bit tighter? I thought they only opened when there was a positive pressure difference and it shouldn't get this under vaccume...

Tim.
73ke25
Regular

October 2003
Re: Wacky 1GGTE Fri, 01 October 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bov spring probably doesnt have enough tension . That would probably cause the car to run lean as unmetered air is being used for the same amount of fuel . Miiight even be cause the bad idle. See if the idle goes to normal while making sure the bov isnt leaking air (hold hand over it or something), maybe take the bov off and see how it goes ?
mycress
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Wacky 1GGTE Sat, 02 October 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info guys, will try and test the idlin while hand blocking the BOV trumpet......

By the way, any 1 used a GFB Hybrid/Stealth BOV? Read an article on it and it has a plumback option. Any good?

Any 1 knows how do i adjust my AFM spring back to the factory setting?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Wacky 1GGTE Sun, 03 October 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also with the high idle, try blocking off the idle bypass.

and get it on a dyno to check fuel ratios with your regulator, cos the standard computer controls pulse length. highering and lowwering the fuel pressure is a way to make more or less fuel go in.

I know with the fuel reg only seeing atmo pressure it would get knocking if the timing wasnt set right.,
mycress
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Wacky 1GGTE Mon, 04 October 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman, what do you mean by High Idle? Where is d idle bypass? Pics will do great man....

I'm sorry for being such a retard on this, i'm kindda new to this kindda thinggy...

Blocked d BOV outlet, idle did not improve immediately.... guess it din make any difference....

I'll be adjustin my timing but i need some pointers ere...
What does 10 degrees mean?(while adjusting ur dizzy) does the TE1+E1 terminals are shorted while d dizzy is being twisted?
How do you determine that d dizzy is in 10 degrees position?

Searched d forums and found out tat by shortin d terminals, the engine will go into a timing lock. Tried it on mine, does not make any difference....

I'd gather that the TPS plays a role in idlin as well... What is the default location of the TPS(it can be twisted after loosening d screw)

Sorry for the long list of questions guys.... Been tryin to solve this issue for about 6 mths now....Still no improvement Crying or Very Sad
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Wacky 1GGTE Mon, 04 October 2004 13:11 Go to previous message
take it to a pro

if u ask too many questions as where is this and where is that

and after 6 months i would stop pulling your hair out and take it to someone

im not being rude
just i think its time to get a proffessional to look at it
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply