Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Starter motor problems...HELP!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jkvsnn
Regular

June 2002
icon5.gif  Starter motor problems...HELP! Mon, 04 October 2004 02:31 Go to next message
My 20V/AE92 has suspected starter motor problems. Symptoms are as follows.
Everytime I start the car I can hear what sounds like metal on metal grinding as I release the key when the engine starts.
I few times when driving you can all of a sudden hear the same grinding noise (engine still runs/idles fine during this noisy period) a couple of times the noise has stopped after a few seconds but on a few occasions I have stopped, switched off the ignition and restarted the car.
This morning on my way to work I had the same noise while driving and so pulled over and turned off the car. I tried to restart again only to hear the sound again without the engine turning over. tried a few more times before abondoning the car. Came back after about half an hour, tried again at which point the engine started to kick over before the grinding noise returned and the engine stopped turning over. Luckily I was on a bit over a hill and was abe to roll start the car without drama . I have not tried to restart the car but suspect it won't start again.

Does this sound like it's the starter motor thats screwed?
Is it possible to replace the starter with the engine in or does the engine have to come out? (surely not)
Is the 20V starter different to standard 4AF/4AC starters?.

All guidance and assistance gratefully received.

Cheers,
Julian
Brisbane.
  Send a private message to this user    
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Starter motor problems...HELP! Mon, 04 October 2004 06:17 Go to previous message
sounds like its about dead to me man, my GZE had one die not to long ago, i replaced it with a 4A-C one ( i think my car goes slower now though, jk). I assume u will be able to use any 4A series? anyone know for certain? As for taking it out, just have a look at it, not sure about the ae92, but my 86 just 2 bolts and it came out. Im sure u wont have to take the engine out.
  Send a private message to this user    
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1MZFE/ 3VZFE celica
Next Topic:*brown* 2jzge jza80 injectors ??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 03:09:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044801235198975 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.