Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ta2272
Forums Junkie

May 2003
steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 03:36 Go to next message
My freinds steering wheel got defected on his kingswood ute, i am just wondering how they dertemen a wheel to be legal is it different on different vehicles they said it was a about 2 cm to small. woudl this wheel be legal on my ta22 celica. Queensland rules aswell.

thanks

jason
  Send a private message to this user    
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta2272 wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 13:36

My freinds steering wheel got defected on his kingswood ute, i am just wondering how they dertemen a wheel to be legal is it different on different vehicles they said it was a about 2 cm to small. woudl this wheel be legal on my ta22 celica. Queensland rules aswell.

thanks

jason

Ring the RTA up (or whatever it is you have up there) and ask them for their rules on steering wheel diameter.

Similar thing happenened to me once, an insurance company told me my aftermarket steering wheel (14" IIRC) was illegal for my car. I rang the RTA, they dug up the rulebook and told me it just had to be 12" or bigger (IIRC) for ANY car.... Rolling Eyes
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm in nsw and my aftermaket steering wheel is on my engineers report!
(not sure how big it is tho)
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 13:42

thanks

jason

Ring the RTA up (or whatever it is you have up there) and ask them for their rules on steering wheel diameter.

Similar thing happenened to me once, an insurance company told me my aftermarket steering wheel (14" IIRC) was illegal for my car. I rang the RTA, they dug up the rulebook and told me it just had to be 12" or bigger (IIRC) for ANY car.... Rolling Eyes

12" Shocked iv been told that it is 13" and 12" is illegal, hence why you wont find any place selling 12" wheels... i used to have a 12" on my old '22 and never had an issue but now no one will come near me if i say 12"
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what i know it's less that 350mm is illegal..but where do they mesure from? inside, outside, middle??
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drift86levin wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 14:08

from what i know it's less that 350mm is illegal..but where do they mesure from? inside, outside, middle??

it aint middle unless you want a 26" wheel Laughing

its outer to outer
DanielJ
Regular

July 2002
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Qld Transport's guideline is as follows:

"The minimum diameter of any replacement steering wheel must not be less than 350mm. The replacement wheel must be designed in a similar manner to the original (e.g.padded centre hub and dished spokes) and the diameter must be no more than 26 mm smaller than the original steering wheel."
bassy
Regular

July 2004
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive been told there are only two legal whell manufacturers here in sa, and one of them is momo.
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 14:20

its outer to outer

i wasn't talking about the middle as in the centre..the grip on the wheel..do they mesure the internal dia / external dia etc..

a 26" wheel..nice and easly to turn..if your legs could fit between it and the seat!! Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 04 October 2004 05:21]

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drift86levin wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 15:15

fade-e wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 14:20

its outer to outer

i wasn't talking about the middle as in the centre..the grip on the wheel..do they mesure the internal dia / external dia etc..

i knpow i was just taking the piss out of ya... but i do believe it is outer to outer
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 14:06

never had an issue but now no one will come near me if i say 12"

you are a BEAST mate
12"
only the real daring ladies will come near you eh? Razz
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 15:20

never had an issue but now no one will come near me if i say 12"

you are a BEAST mate
12"
only the real daring ladies will come near you eh? Razz

noticed your in sydney..with 12"..ladies..and ahem...guys..not that there is anything wrong with that right... Confused
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol
and where are you from? Smiley =
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brisvegas.. Cool
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
350mm from outer edge to outer edge
all states

Sad
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Stefan wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 13:42

thanks

jason

12" Shocked iv been told that it is 13" and 12" is illegal, hence why you wont find any place selling 12" wheels... i used to have a 12" on my old '22 and never had an issue but now no one will come near me if i say 12"

I DID put in an IIRC clause... this was a few years ago. May well have been 12" or 12.5" or 13".
ta2272
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh the wheel is 330 mm and the leagal size is 350 as being the smallest.
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about boss kits? and legalities?
Do they need to be collaspable??
schmitt
Regular

February 2004
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i got pulled over by the cops the other day he told me he was worried about the legalities of my steering wheel. he got in and sat in the car to check it. he told me the rule had recently changed to as long as it does not block the view of the guages it is legal. but that means that if you are shorter then the cop then you may be able to see the guages but he cant. so i rang the rta and the person i spoke to said that what the cop said was correct. this is in NSW anyway.

P.S. i didnt get booked or defected just got let off with a warning.
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
schmitt wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 18:29

when i got pulled over by the cops the other day he told me he was worried about the legalities of my steering wheel. he got in and sat in the car to check it. he told me the rule had recently changed to as long as it does not block the view of the guages it is legal. but that means that if you are shorter then the cop then you may be able to see the guages but he cant. so i rang the rta and the person i spoke to said that what the cop said was correct. this is in NSW anyway.

what about if you have adjustable sterring column eg. in my dads VY i cant see all th guages completely(can see speedo)
schmitt
Regular

February 2004
Re: steering wheel legal Mon, 04 October 2004 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WiLo wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 19:05

schmitt wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 18:29

what about if you have adjustable sterring column eg. in my dads VY i cant see all th guages completely(can see speedo)

the main one they were interested in was the speedo.
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: steering wheel legal Tue, 05 October 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting point. One that is quite a problem for me. As I've put a MOMO Corse on my TA22 with Momo Boss kit and as I'm 6'4" I can't see from 80km/h to 120km/h. Pretty shitty. If I was to sit any other way than straight up I can see a bit more but it gets un-comfortable. So I just take a guess at the rough location of the needle.
ta2272
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: steering wheel legal Tue, 05 October 2004 07:49 Go to previous message
ill buy your course wheel of you then. Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4ag 100kw
Next Topic:Heat shield fabricating
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-