Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Diesel engine technology!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cozzb
Regular

March 2004
Diesel engine technology! Mon, 04 October 2004 11:38 Go to next message
With the new diesel technology the performance of turbo diesel engine has been improved.Combine that with low fuel consumption figure ,low emission and good torque.It seems to be a good package, therefore,lot of euro car manufacture have developed their own performance turbo diesel engine,such as BMW bi-turbo six(2993cc 272hp and 413ib ft) and Vauxhall turbo four(1910cc 212hp 295 ib ft) etc....

why don't we seem to get any of them?
What do people think about that sort of engine?
  Send a private message to this user    
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Diesel engine technology! Mon, 04 October 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we dont get em cause our diesel fuel is shit compared to other countries

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Diesel engine technology! Mon, 04 October 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
because diesel is cheaper that petrol in europe?

and car makers and oil companies have a vested interest is selling petrol engines in Australia?

and our local maintenance resources and suppliers are not up to looking after a lot of high-tech diesel engines?

and never forget cost... once you ship a cheap, povo-pak mercedes out here, it becomes a luxury barge.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diesel engine technology! Mon, 04 October 2004 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Petrol isn't expensive enough over here to motivate people to switch to diesel. In Europe they pay 2-3 times what we do for petrol, so fuel-efficient diesels make a lot of sense!
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: Diesel engine technology! Mon, 04 October 2004 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a story i have come across is that alot of european manufacturers, BMW and mercedes included, refuse to sell their diesels in australia because we have a higher sulfur content in our diesel here. this would void the manufacturers claims of reliability if their motors were blowing up left right and centre. apparantly there is new legislation on the way to try to lower the sulfur levels, so mabe once that happens we'll start to see more of them.
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: Diesel engine technology! Mon, 04 October 2004 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I read in an SAE paper about the 2ZZ-GE (sorry, don't have a link) that most of the world, Australia included, has way more sulfur in our normal petrol, too, than the Japanese. Like 100 times more.

Toyota do sell diesel Corollas elsewhere, and they have done for many years
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: Diesel engine technology! Mon, 04 October 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been driving diesels for years and always toyota. If you though that their petrol engines were reliable then try their diesels. My cv30 camry had about 400 k's on it before it was wrote off. The engine was still perfect. Its a lot more costly to produce a diesel engine in the first place, with your diesel prices you would have to be doing a lot of milage to make good savings on fuel.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Diesel engine technology! Tue, 05 October 2004 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We just ordered a 2005 2.0L turbo diesel Golf-with 103kw and 320nm (from 1750rpm!!) it gets along rather well (9 sec 0-100). It also gets 4.0L/100km on a run.......

My dad has had a TDI citroen forthe last year, and that was what set me onto it. The sulphur content is an issue with some makes, but it's mainly market trends that stop them coming here in large numbers. Australians just don't buy diesel passenger cars in volumes large enough to import. I have read that the diesel 1-series beemer is the pick of the 1 series stable, but of course we don't get them here...........

I do suspect that will change though as more people realise how brilliant they are.

Sean
schnitzel
Regular

July 2004
Re: Diesel engine technology! Tue, 05 October 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We will be seeing a lot more Diesels soon as regulations for diesel in Australia have been changed to bring our sulphur and parrifin content into line with rest of the world. Hence manufacturers will be able to bring in more models as fuel will be suitable. The cost benefit to us in Australia is not as great as Europe as we still have relatively cheap petrol by world standards, even though it is artificially inflated by our illustrious government.

Regards
cozzb
Regular

March 2004
Re: Diesel engine technology! Tue, 05 October 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so at the end of the day the problem is the same as the high performance petrol engine.Our poor fuel quality kill every performance to come here.
i rekon they sell more and more middle range luxary diesel passenger cars in UK.
I heard of some people actually get the turbo diesel engine for they performance ,some of them go racing in diesel GOLF etc...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Diesel engine technology! Tue, 05 October 2004 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
New legislation is being brought in to advocate a lower sulphur count in the diesel of australian fuel, this will allow us to import the brilliant models. gotta love the 3.ol BMW diesel currently it puts out 150Kw and 480Nm this is via single turbo and is available in Aus soon the twin turbo with around 206KW and like 600nm will be able to come yay.
Also there is a Vw diesel that is 1.9litres and puts out 147Kw in Europe its in either a GTi golf or polo now that would be a car
3T-GTE
Regular

August 2003
Re: Diesel engine technology! Tue, 05 October 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure if anyone has heard / seen this before...

http://www.iwemalpg.com/Diesel_LPG.htm

This sounds like a great idea... not sure if anyone is doing this here in Aus for the domestic car market...

I did hear about a company in Melbourne working on these hybrid diesel/LPG (mix of diesel & LPG, not an LPG conversion) for trucks, who had their research truck "borrowed" Rolling Eyes (stolen - then found) recently on the news.

Sounds like a idea to me... I have a Turbo Diesel Land Rover that I would certainly be willing to be a "test subject" for. Very Happy
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Diesel engine technology! Tue, 05 October 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As someone who owns a toyota diesel car in Oz, I think I can probably give a pretty good opinion about this.

Australia has a fairly heftly excise on the diesel to bring the price almost upto that of unleaded.
I'm still trying to figure out why except to strangle the trucking industry, the biggest users of diesel by a LONG way.

The sulphur content in our current diesel is at about 550ppm.
The low sulphur diesel you get in Europe is about 20ppm.
The reason for the change was the introduction of electronic injection and electric fuel pumps for diesels.
Sulphur is used to lubricate the valves much like lead was used in cars.
Only Puegeot has had the guts to import their diesel range, and they are very strangled compared to the Euro version to allow for our fuel.

Diesel is also falling out of popularity in Japan. The current Caldina, 2 models after mine, doesn't have a diesel version.
Why? Because they've got the same fuel efficiency out of a 1.8L direct injection petrol as my mechanical pump diesel with twice the power.

BTW, my car is a 2C-T SOHC 2.0L mechanical injected diesel.
I've driven from Sydney to Brisbane on less than a tank (58L for 890km) 62.5kW at the engine, 49.5kW & 200Nm at the wheels
The next model had electronic injection 2.2 intercooled (78kW & extra 20Nm torque0, over 1000km range.

Toyota is way behind the euros who are doing twin cams, etc to their diesels.

Sorry bout the long post, I'm a bit passionate bout this stuff.
If I could find someone in Oz to get biodiesel from, I wouldn't be thinking bout the 3.0L V6 LPG conversion.

Maurice c: how hard is it to get hold of the D4-D engine, etc from the Avensis?
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: Diesel engine technology! Tue, 05 October 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I read once about the "lies of unleaded petrol"...

Basically there is sweet oil (low sulphur content) and sour oil (high sulphur content). Sour oil was cheaper, so gov't wanted
to use it, and began too, after a short while a yellow haze started appearing on the horizon in cities.. The gov't blamed
it on 'more cars', but stats showed that it wasnt.. it was the
cheap sour oil's sulphur. So they needed a solution..
A guy invented the catalytic convertor, all was well except it
didn't work with lead, so the gov't had to convince the public
that lead was bad so they could have unleaded petrol, so they
could run catalytic convertors, so they could use cheap sour oil.

Read it somewhere, I honestly believe it too.. just though it was interesting.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diesel engine technology! Wed, 06 October 2004 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unleaded fuel was introduced so catalytic converters could be used, that much is true, but it has SFA to do with the type of oil used. Cars are like 1000 times cleaner than the old-school carbie leaded engines of old, and it's mostly thanks to catalytic converters and electronic engine management... both of which are made possible with unleaded fuel. An old-school engine running on the "sweetest" leaded fuel in the world won't come close in terms of emissions.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Diesel engine technology! Wed, 06 October 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Common Rail Era is here!

It has it advantages and disadvantages, me thinks the computer in my new turbo diesel Navara stops feeding the engine fuel when the inlet air temp gets up, wouldnt happen with unit injection Razz . Might have to fit an intercooler Smile
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Diesel engine technology! Thu, 07 October 2004 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I wanted to get the new model Caldina instead of mine.
It has electronic common rail,

but...

only came in 4wd auto Mad
and wasn't being complied Mad

If I could find someone who'd be willing to sell me some homemade biodiesel, then I wouldn't be thinking bout the switch to LPG
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Diesel engine technology! Thu, 07 October 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got some more info on these Navaras. Apparently it senses emissions (O2 perhaps), and will reduce power accordingly i.e. no bellowing smoke out the back like common diesels. This is due to emissions being tightened for diesel engines. APS make a tuneable plug in computer, apparently releases a shitload of power as this emssion control is removed Smile
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Diesel engine technology! Thu, 07 October 2004 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most diesels pump out the smoke coz either they haven't had their injectors cleaned (I run 20mL of injector cleaner with each tank of 60L. 1L bottle lasts about 1 year at $20) or coz they're running lean.

Don't see the smoke out of the newer common rail ones coz they're tuned better.
Mine also doesn't smoke anymore either (maybe coz of the dump pipe i put on the exhaust instead of the straight out pipe).

Most diesels are tuned to run really lean for emissions, but retuning them can give a heap more power & often with better economy coz you don't have to gear hunt as much.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diesel engine technology! Thu, 07 October 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Um... diesels always run lean (except at WOT), the smoke is caused by running rich!
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Diesel engine technology! Thu, 07 October 2004 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why do old diesel's that have blocked injectors soot like a pig then?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diesel engine technology! Thu, 07 October 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's because the injector spray pattern is all screwed up, hence incomplete combustion.
Cplus
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Diesel engine technology! Tue, 12 October 2004 17:49 Go to previous message
MS-75 wrote on Tue, 05 October 2004 10:01

We just ordered a 2005 2.0L turbo diesel Golf-with 103kw and 320nm (from 1750rpm!!) it gets along rather well (9 sec 0-100). It also gets 4.0L/100km on a run.......

You getting rid of the HRV mate?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Convertible Cressida
Next Topic:Speed Limiter >105 KPH
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 12:40:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062940120697021 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.