Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

wheel bearing sleeves Mon, 04 October 2004 06:08 Go to next message
I bit of a search turned up a few blanks.
a bit of a brake upgrade question...

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61/ fronthub.html

On this site it mentions one option of being able to run the later model crown hubs is to used pressed steel sleeves over the stub axle to increase the diameter to that of the crown inner wheel bearing diameter.

Now in an attempt to get big brakes and 5-stud onto my rt40 corona i am considering this.

Wondering what peoples opinions are.
Points i can think off are
1> very precision machining required, with interference fit on stubaxle.
2>hardness of sleeve must match that of the stub axle..
3> bearing area must be similar...
3>will the buggers come off...
4> is it dodgy
5> anyone done this before?

My ideal goals are, but i dont think this will effect the offset is...
>increase track such that i can run fwd offset rims to match a wider rear end (hilux)
>big brakes

so what opnions to you guys have?
Thanks
Logan

Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: wheel bearing sleeves Mon, 04 October 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SRacin wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 16:08

Wondering what peoples opinions are.
Points i can think off are
1> very precision machining required, with interference fit on stubaxle.
2>hardness of sleeve must match that of the stub axle..
3> bearing area must be similar...
3>will the buggers come off...
4> is it dodgy

1, yes. final diameter must match that required for the original stub axle on the crown. also remember that it is a sliding fit, not a press fit between stub and bearing. heat and shrink could be a way to fit it.

2, stub axle need not be that hard, since the inner bearing race is what takes the wear, not the stub.

3a, need to at least have the same bearing area, and the more material you have (for the same interference fit) will make it harder to get them off.

3b, well, you don't want them to come off. bearing heat could be an issue.. just from a thermal expansion point of view, causing the sleeves to come loose (with the pounding they will get from potholes etc). maybe this is not a prob as heat will not be that great..

not necessarily if done with a bit of thought. how thick will this ring be?

Cya, Stewart
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: wheel bearing sleeves Mon, 04 October 2004 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I havent been to measure anything up yet, just planning before i go measuring, but ithink going by that website

inner will be = (21.986-19.050)/2 = 1.468mm
outter = 34.988-31.750 /2 = 3.238mm

But I think the RT40 has an even thinner stub axle, not sure..

This is actually pretty thin, could be difficult to machine, would want a very good surface finish on it also..

I suppose i could do some calcs on it, find out the thermal expansion etc...

I think before i go measuring things, i'll talk to the local certifier, see what his opinions are. (but might ruin my chances of getting away with it, hed neva know lol, no biggie, i want it to be safe..)

Thanks
Logan
Steve_Reynolds
Regular

May 2002
Re: wheel bearing sleeves Mon, 04 October 2004 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went the other way when grafting alloy S4 Rx-7 Hubs onto the toyota stub. I had the alloy hub machined out (by a bees dick only) and a steel sleeve pressed into the hub to allow the appropriate sized wheel bearings to fit.

Obviously the Toyota wheel bearings did fit the Toyota stub fine, but the bearing OD's were not quite right for the mazda hub, thus the requirement to sleeve the hub to get it all right.

Also note this in my racer which is reasonably light, and not driven on the street, although it does cop a hard time through corners, kerb hopping and braking. I've had no issues at all and it provides less unsprung weight (and the Rx7 S4 disks and calipers also help out)

[Updated on: Mon, 04 October 2004 22:55]

SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: wheel bearing sleeves Mon, 04 October 2004 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright excellent.
This is the sort of info i want to here.
I guess s4 hubs would be a good choice being 5x114.3
Then it would be a matter of making caliper mounting brackets, but i reckon that would be fairly simply..
Do you by anychance have the dimensions of the hubs, Im hoping that it pushes the mounting surface out quite far such that i can run same offset front and back. Looking at a +35 to +40 offset to get back to a factorish track.
Cheers for the info

Logan
Bentt
Regular

May 2003
Re: wheel bearing sleeves Mon, 04 October 2004 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have done the exact same thing on my BMW... It served two purposes... converted to 5-stud and also created the offset I needed for my wheels and new disc rotors... If it's a direct slip over sleeve, I would make it a slight interference fit...

Mine was a snug fit, in that I had to gently tap it into position and seat it... I had mine made from Chromemoly though as I have a slight overhang due to the new bearings being slightly winder then the std ones, better to be safe then sorry... Smile

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: wheel bearing sleeves Tue, 05 October 2004 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good website that one, huh?

Rolling Eyes

SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: wheel bearing sleeves Tue, 05 October 2004 06:38 Go to previous message
nah not really its pretty average Razz

lol..j/k..Some interesting info on your site there.
Hopefully I can sort out the bearing issue.
I might try some local bearing manufacturers, and retailers on the offchance they would have a suitable bearing.
I know i can get crown (ms112 or ms65 (non 72)) hubs and brakes filthy cheap, but i like the idea of alloy rx7 hubs, might have to try find some. First stop i think will be a bearing catalogue, saves measuring at the wreckers..

Thanks for the help so far all..

Logan
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae82 hub fit onto ae86 ?
Next Topic:Celsior stud pattern
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 15:17:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00347900390625 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.