Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
escii
Newcomer

October 2004
sr20det + ae86 info Mon, 04 October 2004 07:38 Go to next message
im lookin around for a ae86 for a first car, cheap reliable & fun...

later on down the track ide like to do a sr20det conversion on it.. i know i get a newbie point for asking that question.. BUT im hard pressed trying to find any decent information about the conversion at all on the net, if anyone can offer some resources or anything to help- fire away!, as for now:

1) To install the sr i know you have to cut the firewall to make it fit... would this weaken the car's structural integrity ?

2) As for 'conversion kits', i havnt been able to find any info about these on the net, any websites, and what does the conv kit contain, just engine mounts .. ? ( ps how much would it cost too )

3) if i chose to fabricate my own engine mounts, what would be the best weld to use on it ARC/MIG/TIG ? I have access to ARC and MIG welders, as well as an whole array of cutting tools and the like, i suppose im asking what would be the strongest weld for the job, having a powerful sr rumbling under my bonnet.

4) when i put in the gearbox, ide have to cut up the driveshaft obviously to make it fit the thing is, would i have to replace the driveshaft itself to make way for more power ?

5) Would i really need to strip the car and spot weld it to toughen it up or is the chasis strong enough?

6) With the gauges, is there any conversion mechanisim so that the stock gauges can read info coming from a nissan engine ? or does that need replacing too ?

7) what is actully invoved in fitting a new set of disks & calipers to a ae86 from say a wrecked s15 ?

Cool Any other issues i should be aware of ?

Thanks in advance ( thumbs up! )

mod edit : "attn sex" is a really LAME thread title Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Mon, 04 October 2004 11:05] by Moderator

Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: ae86 info Mon, 04 October 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1 > no you dont, and if you did ti would.

2 > self fabricate your mounts

3 > the welder depends on the material you use. id use steel.

4 > the driveshaft should be OK i think. otherwise. cut and reweld it. muahahaha.

5 > with an SR pushing 200hp. its ideal.

6 > you would probably want to use a aftermarket gauge set.

7 > the s15 struts, or an adapter plate CNC'd up

8 > yeah, nissan engines are gay. hehe just kidding.

escii wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 17:38

im lookin around for a ae86 for a first car, cheap reliable & fun...

later on down the track ide like to do a sr20det conversion on it.. i know i get a newbie point for asking that question.. BUT im hard pressed trying to find any decent information about the conversion at all on the net, if anyone can offer some resources or anything to help- fire away!, as for now:

1) To install the sr i know you have to cut the firewall to make it fit... would this weaken the car's structural integrity ?

2) As for 'conversion kits', i havnt been able to find any info about these on the net, any websites, and what does the conv kit contain, just engine mounts .. ? ( ps how much would it cost too )

3) if i chose to fabricate my own engine mounts, what would be the best weld to use on it ARC/MIG/TIG ? I have access to ARC and MIG welders, as well as an whole array of cutting tools and the like, i suppose im asking what would be the strongest weld for the job, having a powerful sr rumbling under my bonnet.

4) when i put in the gearbox, ide have to cut up the driveshaft obviously to make it fit the thing is, would i have to replace the driveshaft itself to make way for more power ?

5) Would i really need to strip the car and spot weld it to toughen it up or is the chasis strong enough?

6) With the gauges, is there any conversion mechanisim so that the stock gauges can read info coming from a nissan engine ? or does that need replacing too ?

7) what is actully invoved in fitting a new set of disks & calipers to a ae86 from say a wrecked s15 ?

Cool Any other issues i should be aware of ?

Thanks in advance ( thumbs up! )

escii
Newcomer

October 2004
Re: SEX !!! - now ive got ur attn :-) ( sr20det + ae86 info ) Mon, 04 October 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1 > no you dont, and if you did ti would...

Would the engine be sitting at a good position without cutting the f/w to still mantain good car weight balence, and is the engine low enough?
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: SEX !!! - now ive got ur attn :-) ( sr20det + ae86 info ) Mon, 04 October 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bah! tricked by the title!!! jokes..

as i mentioned befor i am kinda kicking myself for not going with an SR20det or CA18DET..simply because you are going to put a front mount on and do a decent exhuast system..up the boost a little your laughing with over 250hp!!! and you have a nice shifting (kinda..) strong box that comes behind it..i'm all for it..where about are you located?
escii
Newcomer

October 2004
Re: SEX !!! - now ive got ur attn :-) ( sr20det + ae86 info ) Mon, 04 October 2004 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
melborune mate
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: SEX !!! - now ive got ur attn :-) ( sr20det + ae86 info ) Mon, 04 October 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
escii wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 17:53

1 > no you dont, and if you did it would...

Would the engine be sitting at a good position without cutting the f/w to still mantain good car weight balence, and is the engine low enough?

bring it back and lower down, but dont cut the FW
its the best posi for ca/sr engines
ask simon.
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: SEX !!! - now ive got ur attn :-) ( sr20det + ae86 info ) Mon, 04 October 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ask Adam id say.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: SEX !!! - now ive got ur attn :-) ( sr20det + ae86 info ) Mon, 04 October 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah
adam (improved86) is probably better to speak to. Very Happy

escii
Newcomer

October 2004
Re: SEX !!! - now ive got ur attn :-) ( sr20det + ae86 info ) Mon, 04 October 2004 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks all!
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: SEX !!! - now ive got ur attn :-) ( sr20det + ae86 info ) Mon, 04 October 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=84320
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: sr20det + ae86 info Mon, 04 October 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes ask adam, i dont answer questions at 10:47 on a monday night
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: SEX !!! - now ive got ur attn :-) ( sr20det + ae86 info ) Mon, 04 October 2004 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quest wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 22:52

http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=84320

Hello Guest , Yeah i see mark thinks its much harder than his honda modifing i guess ? haven't heard from him in a while .
As for Daniel in La i think he just sold the one he did , worked it out quickly that guy smart man . The left hand drive conversion is very different from right hand drive . I would say its alot easier just looking at the pics those guy sent me .

Theres a whole lot of people in this country jumping on the sr ae86 bandwagon atm , seems to be two Drifto garages working on building cars atm . They must want to keep up with Simon Laughing

escii
Newcomer

October 2004
Re: sr20det + ae86 info Mon, 04 October 2004 23:45 Go to previous message
What about the wiring ? How difficult can that be... any pointers ?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agze vac things
Next Topic:3S-GTE / 3S-GE in an AE112 Corolla?!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:50:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057251453399658 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.