Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 01:40 Go to next message
Hey i have a mazda 929, i know its not a toyota but the mazda forums are hopeless, other people might have had the same problem im not sure what it is, my battery keeps on draining my car runs for about 20 secs after a jump start and then dies, i have used 1 new batrey and 3 old ones what do i do??? I dont think it is the alternator.
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alternator is probably not charging battery - take to an auto-sparky to diagnose
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have the number for one in sydney? Rolling Eyes
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ANyone plz Located in Sydney, Para Area
Ra28Freak
Regular

September 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
www.yellowpages.com.au
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try

www.yellowpages.com.au

(edit, Sorry, I was a little slow Confused )

[Updated on: Tue, 05 October 2004 02:05]

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Hi,

Got to the Australian Yellow Pages on-line and put in "auto electrician" in the company-type search field and then enter the Parramatta postcode in the postcode search-field. There's quite a few of them round that area.

seeyuzz
river
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So let me get this straight?
You put a brand new battery in, or a good fully charged one, and the car dies after 20 secs and the battery is too flat to restart it?

Thats very odd.

A car should be able to run for at least an hour or 2 on a fully charged battery, providing you dont use the stereo or head lights.

Testing the alternator is easy, start the car, bring the revs up to 2000, and test the voltage at the battery, if its over 13.5V, the alternator is fine, if its lower, the alternator is shagged.

But if what I assume is happening, is actually happening, something is well fucked.
Take it to an auto electrician.

btw, there's an invention called the yellow pages, its online too. use it.
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Plz what do you asume its happing, could there be anything wrong with the plugs, engine seize?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What I assume is happening is what I posted above

Quote:

You put a brand new battery in, or a good fully charged one, and the car dies after 20 secs and the battery is too flat to restart it?

Can you restart it?
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1 more thing if ur spark plugs a dead can u still start the car with a jump starter?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nick2b wrote on Tue, 05 October 2004 10:22

1 more thing if ur spark plugs a dead can u still start the car with a jump starter?

Err, no spark = no bang = no start
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So its defenatly Electircal, what could be draining the battrey so badley and why does it take so much power to start.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a job for a qualified auto electrician, we can't diagnose your problem over the internet! For the last time, take it to an electrician, they diagnose and fix problems like this every day.
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would be good if i could drive it 10 meters with it not cutting out, im screwed i dont have over $100 in my pocket
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nick2b wrote on Tue, 05 October 2004 12:35

So its defenatly Electircal, what could be draining the battrey so badley and why does it take so much power to start.

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nick2b wrote on Tue, 05 October 2004 12:35

[

A high voltage or surge of current (whateva its called) is needed to make ur spark plugs ignite. The coil in ur engine does... its a bloody long story, will leave it for someone else. Rolling Eyes
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So does anyone no any one who will come to me seeing as i cant go to them? Any numbers? Sad
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lubemobile..

or a jerrycan of petrol Wink

how about... you actually call an auto electrician, tell them the problem, and ask them to come out and fix it for you.

if you don't have the cash, there's not much you can do.

go trade the car in on a toyota Wink
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL when i get my Pz i Will im getting a rolla in about 8months i tryed lubemobile 131332 but.. they arnt auto electricans
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why do you need it fixed so quickly if you can't drive yet?, save some money and have the car fixed by a professional.

P.S Use your initiative and do some calling around Wink
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any est on how much i have 2 spend?
Ra28Freak
Regular

September 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
40 to 60 an hour maybe more
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not to say your insult your intellegence or anything..but are you stupid..everyone is giving you the answer to go and find one in the yellow pages..we can't do much with the vague discription your giving..

here i took 5 sec out of my time at work and found some for you

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/search/postCategoryS earch.do?headingCode=30406&suburbPostcode=2150 +2124&businessType=auto+electricain&region =australia&rankWithTolls=true&locationClue =Parramatta&stateId=1

don't ask if you won't listen..
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks I have been quoted $ 150-200 this person is just a couple of streets away Smile
Ra28Freak
Regular

September 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that was nice of you drift86levin lol Laughing
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look - I'm not usually one for being mean, but if you can't afford to have it fixed, then you are stuffed. It's as simple as that. Posting endlessly on here won't conjure up the money to get it fixed, and if anyone is in your area who could help you out, then they will read this thread in their own time.

Maybe you should go outside, instead of wasting time here, maybe clean your gutters and your neighbours too so you can get enough money to fix your car Razz

(this is a fire safety message)
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

FWDboy wrote on Tue, 05 October 2004 15:43

Maybe you should go outside, instead of wasting time here, maybe clean your gutters and your neighbours too so you can get enough money to fix your car Razz

Hey yeah! You can come and clean mine, seeing everyone's had a got at me about how bad they are! Smile

seeyuzz
river
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4 Dollars Mr Surprised
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone eles ever had this problem
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pool Room!
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want help, you need to provide more information,
if you like, cut and paste my questions, and add your answers,
this will give me and everyone else a better scope of your
problem.

So the car start and runs for 20 secs then dies?

After it dies are the red igntion lights still on the dash?
do your headlights or other electrical things in the car still work?

When you say the bettery is dead, do you mean completly
dead or just partly (wont crank the motor)?

Does it start fine when you apply jumper cables to jump
start it?

If you leave the jumper cables connected will it run indefinately?

Do you have access to a multimeter/voltimeter?

When you put in the brand new battery did the car crank over?
Did it start on its own?

What condition are your battery terminals in? -- have you
tried cleaning them/tightening them?

When did the problem first start? -- was it intermitent, or just
happened one day?

RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Tue, 05 October 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit man, it's just your alt or regulator or something, you really didn't need to drag it out this long. Buy a multimeter, you can get em for like $10 at cheap-ass hardware stores, get the car running and check the voltage at the battery, it should be around 13-14 volts, any more and ur regulator is fucked, any less and your alt is fucked (or need brushes at least). If it is reading 13-14 then the problem is more major and there aint much you can do about it with out a sparky.

Tim.
sabext130
Newcomer

December 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Thu, 09 December 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could check your coil connections, make sure they are tight or maybe your ignition switch - the contacts sometimes get dirty inside them. Evil or Very Mad
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Fri, 10 December 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i cant beleive so many people have wasted their time answering this guys post, over and over and over

and heres me wasting my time as well, well actually im on lunch break so im just bored Razz

i have seen a similar fault and guess what it was the alternator not supplying a charge to the battery
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Fri, 10 December 2004 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just out of curiousity.. have you recently greased your muffler bearings?

If you dont regulary grease them it will cause the symptoms you describe
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Fri, 10 December 2004 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh yes good point, dont forget to top up the headlight fluid either while your there, if your headlight fluid is low or dirty it could cause the headlights to drain more power from your battery
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Fri, 10 December 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
basically, you've got and earthing problem. it could be anywhere in your car, so you could spend many long, uneducated, frustrating hours looking for something that you don't know where it could be or even what it's gonna look like! OR you could get it fixed by a qualified sparky.

It could be that your alternator's screwed, the alternator belt's too loose(though unlikely), your alternator's wired up wrong, a wire has broken, a wire is touching the body somewhere and short-circuiting, a screwed relay or a blown fuse.

Do you really wann find it yourself? Actually, i'd advise you to check your fuses first in case a sparky tries to rip you off of your $200 for a 50c fuse.
Pure_In_Sanity
Regular

October 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Fri, 10 December 2004 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This thread was from 2 months ago. Maybe he's already fixed it.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Fri, 10 December 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when u take your altenator off make sure u use a right hand thread screwdriver.
i used a left hand thread and i had to replace my whole motor coz of it
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Big Problem for Wise Drivers Please! Fri, 10 December 2004 11:52 Go to previous message
are you with NRMA? get them to come out and test everything for you. they will tell you whats the problem and then get them to tow it to the auto electrician... thats what i do...

hell i got them to change my master and slave clutch cylinders cause i was too lazy to do it (i had all the parts and oil though)... i also once go them to tow it to my mechanic when the car was in front of my house. but for that he said they wont tow it cause its already home and you can get a mobile mechanic so i pushed it down the street and called them again Laughing you gotta do what you gotta do when your desperate and lazy Rolling Eyes mate my NRMA stories will take forever to list if you want the honest truth...

just work with what you have... also do you have a multimeter? have it on the battery when starting and see if its a straight drain or if it gets charged for those 20sec... also charge light on car, does it stay on when car is on? if so then definately alternator... if not then you have a major leak somewhere along the line and more than definately between battery and alternator (but that would cause charge light to come on anyway)...

another thing you can try is to run a wire straight from battery to alternator and if it charges then it is wiring... but for this you have to be VERY VERY VERY *indefinate amount of vERY* careful as there is nothing to stop the battery over charging and blowng up (not even a fuse will help over come this)

also if you have a test light put it on the alternator positive and negative and see if there is any electricity going through it... but ultimately you have to get the alternator tested for strength, take it off the car, give it to auto electrician and get them to test it. they usually will do this free as it takes them literally 20sec to do (and that includes putting on the machine and taking it off)

are you sure battery is dying? could be something else thats turning it off along the wiring harness... old wires, crossed wires, melted wires, etc etc... the most dangerous (so dont try this unless you know what your doing PLEASE) is to by pass fuses and relays with direct wiring BUT THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOO DANGEROUS I DO NOT RECOMMEND OR ENDORSE YOU TRYING IT UNLESS YOU KNOW WIRING AND ELECTRICALS VERY WELL which im sure you dont otherwise you wouldnt be asking for help.. but if you REALLY REALLY cant get the car there or anyone to come out...

PS guys do not bite my head off on what iv said as im giving him every possible option even though dangerous! also i am telling him NOT to do the dangerous stuff unless he KNOWS whats going on.

PPS i love NRMA road side assistance! yeah its like $200 to join and $77.50 each year renewal but you get 24x7 mechanic Rolling Eyes and 20kms towing every 48hrs (ie if you tow one time then you cant get another till 48hrs later otherwise its charged full rate) like i said i got stories gallore of what iv gotten them to do for me and they have always gotten me out of a bind

GOOD LUCK with it
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MA70 and the Fuel Pump Relay setup
Next Topic:toyota genuine 3sgte VRS kit
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 18:54:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069179534912109 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.