Toymods » Tech & Conversions » car goes "duga-duga-duga-dug"

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

icon5.gif  car goes "duga-duga-duga-dug" Tue, 05 October 2004 14:12 Go to next message
Hi all,

For the past few months, from about 50-90 km/h my ae102 makes a sound that kinda goes "duga-duga-duga-duga-dug". It sounds like it's coming from the front wheels.

You can feel it a little in the steering wheel, and you can feel it worse on the floor. Another possibly related problem is that the steering wheel makes one or two deep "clunk" noises when you start turning. I've been informed that this problem is probably just a loose bolt somewhere in the steering column, but haven't checked it out properly.

The duga-dug sound gets worse when you first start going down a hill. I'm pretty sure the sound is still there over 90 km/h, though less noticeable because of the engine noise and the higher frequency of the sound.

The sound is the same with the clutch in/out and in/out of gear. The clutch needs replacing, and I'm pretty sure the flywheel needs lots of machining, as it shudders really badly from a standing start. Could this be related?

The wheel bearings are okay. I'm also fairly sure it's not from bad wheel balancing (could easily be wrong), as I rotated the wheels (backs to the front) and the sound was exactly the same as before.

The front and side engine mounts all seem fine and strong, though I'm not sure how to check the rear engine mount properly.

Has anybody had a similar problem before? Any ideas appreciated! I'm stumped...and scared...I'm sometimes on the highway at 110 km/h and I don't want something to break at that kinda speed!

Cheers,

Paul
  Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: car goes "duga-duga-duga-dug" Tue, 05 October 2004 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Possibly:
-Flatspot on one of your tires.
-CV joint buggered
-wheel studs UTS
-incorrect or damaged wheel nuts
Adam_Rolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

February 2004
Re: car goes "duga-duga-duga-dug" Tue, 05 October 2004 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i will second toobs
the tyres may be out of balance
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: car goes "duga-duga-duga-dug" Tue, 05 October 2004 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like my friend called doug is under the bonnet

Smile

Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: car goes "duga-duga-duga-dug" Tue, 05 October 2004 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Wed, 06 October 2004 08:19

sounds like my friend called doug is under the bonnet

Smile

aaaahahahahaha

Seriously. Could be the wheel bearings also
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: car goes "duga-duga-duga-dug" Wed, 06 October 2004 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
someone may have stolen your engine and replaced it with a bridgeport rotary Very Happy
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: car goes "duga-duga-duga-dug" Wed, 06 October 2004 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds to me like your car has a bad case of volkswagen syndrome

[Updated on: Wed, 06 October 2004 04:54]

leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: car goes "duga-duga-duga-dug" Wed, 06 October 2004 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the replies dudes.

I'm up for 2 new tyres soon anyway, so I might as well get the 4 balanced, as well as a wheel alignment while I'm at it.

cheers!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: car goes "duga-duga-duga-dug" Wed, 06 October 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make sure you wheels studs are tight dude
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: car goes "duga-duga-duga-dug" Wed, 06 October 2004 14:24 Go to previous message
hmm..rob and toobs..could be right.

It's definitely got non-standard wheel nuts on all 4 wheels (my brother nicked the standard ones ages ago)..and i didn't even realise till you guys said that the wheel studs could go loose.

Pretty sure the wheels are not flat-spotted, couldn't find any when I last checked, but I guess it's worth checking again when I check the studs and (probably) replace the nuts. I'll roll em down the street and see how they go.

thanks again!

paul
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what engine?
Next Topic:Which Mounts? 1j onto mx83 c/member.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 02:00:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052340030670166 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.