Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae824age
Occasional Poster

January 2004
ae82 gearbox alternatives Tue, 05 October 2004 06:34 Go to next message
Hi,

I just have a few questions regarding my AE82 twin cam.
The car is currently using the standard 86kw gearbox (and it sucks Mad ) on my 100kw engine and I am looking at upgrading.
Is there any major difference's between the AE82 and AE92 gearboxes?
Is there any LSD gearboxes that I could use in the car (assuming that drive shafts etc will also need upgrading)?

Thanks for any help
Chris
  Send a private message to this user    
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ae82 gearbox alternatives Tue, 05 October 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am also in this situation. The ae82 gearbox's SUCK ASS!!!!

i just got an email back from toyospares.

We can supply a AE82 box for $295.00, fit $200.00 or a AE92/AE101 box for $195.00, fir $375.00, or a 4AGZE box for $300.00 with drive shafts for $200.00 each , fit $375.00.

what do u guys think?
Rod83
Regular

August 2003
Re: ae82 gearbox alternatives Tue, 05 October 2004 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's a bit rich for the gze box with shafts, especially if isn't LSD. Same goes for the ae82 box. I'm not sure what boxes the ae82 twincams came with, I think it was the c50.

Some boxes to consider would be the c52 from an ae92 sx/gti or one of the boxes that came with the 20v. From what I hear, the gze boxes (e5x series) don't have very suitable gear ratios for the NA engines. And they're also twice as heavy.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ae82 gearbox alternatives Wed, 06 October 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does anyone have anything bad to say about the ae92 box's?

i hope they dont have the same problems as teh ae82 does, thats a really terrible gearbox in my opinion.

is there any crunching in the ae92?
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: ae82 gearbox alternatives Wed, 06 October 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the reason you dont like your gearbox is cos its old and worn. the sx/gti and 20v boxes are very similar to the ae82. ratios vary slightly but otherwise shafts are the same
as long as you get 1 in good condition and dont thrash it badly they are a very nice box
SXer
Regular

May 2002
Re: ae82 gearbox alternatives Wed, 06 October 2004 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agreed, I've owned cars with both boxes and found them to be fine when in good cond, and a biatch when worn.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ae82 gearbox alternatives Wed, 06 October 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so how can i ensure that im going to get a good gearbox from the supplier?

i still wana be able to drive it hard, which is the point of replacing the old gearbox, so i can rev it hard in first and then actually get it into second without dropping 4k revs cause i have to wait for it to click into second gear!!!
ae824age
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: ae82 gearbox alternatives Thu, 07 October 2004 02:46 Go to previous message
carsanactra wrote on Thu, 07 October 2004 09:27

so how can i ensure that im going to get a good gearbox from the supplier?

i still wana be able to drive it hard, which is the point of replacing the old gearbox, so i can rev it hard in first and then actually get it into second without dropping 4k revs cause i have to wait for it to click into second gear!!!

Well, yours sounds a lot worse than mine!!
I can still rev it out through all gears, but it helps to double clutch from second to third Razz
I think i might go look for an AE92 g/box today..just have to find one with low km's on it
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3TGTE/2TG hybrid gasket questions..
Next Topic:Electrical? 3SGTE problem, who knows there stuff?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 21:11:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011070013046265 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.