Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
MR2 Intercooler Query Wed, 06 October 2004 13:11 Go to next message
Just a quick one, did either the AW or SW MR2's come with water to air intercoolers?
  Send a private message to this user    
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: MR2 Intercooler Query Wed, 06 October 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: MR2 Intercooler Query Wed, 06 October 2004 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Smile
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: MR2 Intercooler Query Wed, 06 October 2004 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT4's came with a water to air IC that will work nicely on SW20's though.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: MR2 Intercooler Query Thu, 07 October 2004 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, came on the ST165, ST205 and the Group A ST185.

Does the water-to-air fit in the same position as the standard sw20 intercooler (in the vent), or do you top mount it like the GT4's?
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: MR2 Intercooler Query Thu, 07 October 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You mount it up top GT4 style. It gives super short intake path and due to this really nice crisp throttle response for a turbo engine.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: MR2 Intercooler Query Thu, 07 October 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people want HUGE dollars for that st205 gt4 cooler... thats why im getting a PWR one.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: MR2 Intercooler Query Thu, 07 October 2004 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

You mount it up top GT4 style. It gives super short intake path and due to this really nice crisp throttle response for a turbo engine.

only problem is that the gt 4 has scoops, scooping the air through to it... the mr2 has nothing unless you mount it on the side of where the std cooler sits?? but its not just a bolt her and there matter its modifications.

Honslty if your going to get an effecient water to air, expect to spend big $$... other wise air to air is the best way, you can mount turmo fans here there and everywhere.

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: MR2 Intercooler Query Thu, 07 October 2004 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im looking at supporting approx. 150kW, the celica one should piss that in then. How much are they secondhand? (just intercooler, not radiator or pump etc.)

Spanktown: How much is the PWR unit? Their website is devoid of information Sad
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: MR2 Intercooler Query Thu, 07 October 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive seen upwards of 800 dollars just for the cooler and nothing else, which is stupidly exspensive...

PWR complete setups go up from i think $1100 upwards depending on size. The 300HP one im looking at getting is 1200, with pump, radiator and fittings!

You can also buy the cooler seperately from the kit for much less.

http://i10.ebayimg.com/03/i/00/93/de/db_1.JPG
http://i2.ebayimg.com/03/i/00/95/97/d7_1.JPG

[Updated on: Thu, 07 October 2004 01:57]

Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: MR2 Intercooler Query Thu, 07 October 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've seen US cars making better than 400rwhp on the ST205 intercooler in the standard location. The GT4's don't actually have vents pulling air in onto the intercooler I think you'll find they only have a vent to let air out. They have an air intake for the alternator and timing belt though. The ST165 has a water to air intercooler with absolutely no venting of the bonnet.

Thermo fans don't move anything like enough air to cool an intercooler in my opinion. I'd much rather have a water cooler the size of my radiator with as much air going through it as my radiator cooling my intercooler than thermo fans any day.

My complete ST205 setup, intercooler pump and radiator with a GFB blow off valve, cost me $650. Not exactly the typical price but I have seen more than one ST205 intercooler be sold on here for under $400.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 October 2004 05:16]

MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: MR2 Intercooler Query Thu, 07 October 2004 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i stand corrected...

just in my experance a good water to air would cost more then a air to air.

also just a suggestion what about water injection... it works on the same princables it keeps the inlet temp down too.

Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: MR2 Intercooler Query Thu, 07 October 2004 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you could find me an st205 cooler for $400 or close to that i would snap it up in a second!!!! they are quite rare!
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: MR2 Intercooler Query Thu, 07 October 2004 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For sure, water to air can be expensive. A water to air setup will always be more expensive than a simple air to air. The situation of the engine in the middle of a car that we have with the MR2 means that the air to air is always going to be hard to keep cool. The whole boot mount thing seems to work pretty well when doen with a huge intercooler.

My ST205 intercooler is always cool to the touch when I stop after a hard drive, after 5 minutes of standing on the other hand it is well warm due to heat sink from the engine when there is no air flow. I'm thinking about insulating the lower side of the cooler.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both setups.
Water to air advantages:

1. Better cooling capacity without body mods
  2. More stable temperature control
  3. Shorter intake tract
  4. Ability to super cool your intercooler coolant

Air to Air advantages:

1. Cheaper
  2. Lighter
  3. Less components to fail

Water injection is a handy thing, I don't like it but it's handy. The reason why I don't like it are the risks of having water leak into the engine nad hydraulic it and also having to keep on re-filling the bloody thing.

Now back to the topic, what are you going to be putting the intercooler on and is it 150KW at the wheels or engine?

[Updated on: Thu, 07 October 2004 05:56]

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: MR2 Intercooler Query Thu, 07 October 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got it all sorted guys, Liberty RS cooler and it's radiator $200 from wreckers, going to pick it up now. Flojet 19L/min 45psi pump $165, already got a hobbs switch to turn water pump on and off with boost, just got to buy a thermofan big enough for the RS radiator. All Good Very Happy
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MR2 Intercooler Query Fri, 08 October 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a caution on that pump... is that for a spray bar or water injection. If the latter then's she's no good sorry. You need at least 40psi water pressure over boost to get a half decent atomisation. The higher the pressure then generall the better the atomisation. I runa 100psi shurflo pump in one car and a 120psi Aquamist pump in the other.

Also again if it's a WI setup, definitely run a solenoide valve in the water line as hydraulic lock of the engine is a real risk without it. My water tank is in the boot but vac at idle is still strong enough to pull water into the intake system and then ater you shut down this can continue via the syphoning effect. I was very lucky once and immediately fitted a solenoide valve.

Other that WI is very effective
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: MR2 Intercooler Query Fri, 08 October 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustenGT4 wrote on Fri, 08 October 2004 11:41

Just a caution on that pump... is that for a spray bar or water injection. If the latter then's she's no good sorry. You need at least 40psi water pressure over boost to get a half decent atomisation. The higher the pressure then generall the better the atomisation. I runa 100psi shurflo pump in one car and a 120psi Aquamist pump in the other.

Also again if it's a WI setup, definitely run a solenoide valve in the water line as hydraulic lock of the engine is a real risk without it. My water tank is in the boot but vac at idle is still strong enough to pull water into the intake system and then ater you shut down this can continue via the syphoning effect. I was very lucky once and immediately fitted a solenoide valve.

Other that WI is very effective

Its just for water circulation through the intercooler, being water to air, not air to air.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MR2 Intercooler Query Fri, 08 October 2004 05:22 Go to previous message
my bad Skip, i just saw the 45psi rating and figured it must be for some form of injection or spray kit.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Installing Camber tops
Next Topic:difference between horizontal and vertical Webers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 23:29:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064809322357178 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.