Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Electronic dash/intrument cluster for conversion in MX73 Cressida

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
2JZ-Cressida
Newcomer

October 2004
Electronic dash/intrument cluster for conversion in MX73 Cressida Thu, 07 October 2004 04:38 Go to next message
We have just done a 2JZ conversion on our MX73 and need to convert the dash and all instruments to electronic to accept the outputs from the engine/box/etc, as the old system was only analouge.

Any ideas what can go in.
Camry, soarers, celicas, other imports.
What have other people used for cressida conversions?

I would really like somehting that is known might fit, as traveling and measuring etc isnt really an option.

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Electronic dash/intrument cluster for conversion in MX73 Cressida Thu, 07 October 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You use the original speedo cable, and either get an adaptor box so you can run cable and electronic at the same time
Or just run the cable (I'm, not sure if you run the original ecu and auto)

For the tacho, get a sixworks box to convert the signal to old one.

The temp guage will wire straight up.
As will the oil light.

That is everything.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Electronic dash/intrument cluster for conversion in MX73 Cressida Thu, 07 October 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What he said. I have a 2JZ in an MA61 Supra (very similar to MX73) and I'm using the original dash. I replaced the electronic speed sensor in the gearbox with a speedo cable (direct swap) and the factory ECU doesn't seem to care about the lack of speed signal... I suspect it's only used for cruise control, ABS, traction control etc, none of which I'm using. Tacho as mentioned works fine with a Sixworks tacho booster, and temp gauge is a matter of splicing in a single wire. Too easy! Smile
2JZ-Cressida
Newcomer

October 2004
Re: Electronic dash/intrument cluster for conversion in MX73 Cressida Thu, 07 October 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well we are using the 2JZ ecu's but i think we really wanted to get rid of the old gauges, as they arent the most responsive or best looking.

Is it too mush hassle to change them, or just much easier to get an adapter box for the speedo etc.

Any ideas of the cost for the adapter boxes?

Cheers
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Electronic dash/intrument cluster for conversion in MX73 Cressida Thu, 07 October 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Converting to a non-standard instrument cluster will be a MASSIVE headfuck. Trust me, I got about halfway down that road and gave up in disgust. Using the method I mentioned above is 1000 times easier.

My tacho booster cost around $100 from memory, but I'm not sure what the going price is these days. Shoot Grant a PM and he'll let you know.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Electronic dash/intrument cluster for conversion in MX73 Cressida Thu, 07 October 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tacho booster still $98 Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Electronic dash/intrument cluster for conversion in MX73 Cressida Thu, 07 October 2004 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure of prices of the tacho booster, so I can't help you there.

But you could swap another dash in, its just a hassle to find something that fits, and even more of a hassle to wire it up.

You COULD import the digital dash from US/Canadian Cressida's, but the speedo cable is on the wrong side.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Electronic dash/intrument cluster for conversion in MX73 Cressida Thu, 07 October 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Digital Dash Pic (I have better ones at home, but this will do)

http://members.rogers.com/repins/pics/digidash.jpg
2JZ-Cressida
Newcomer

October 2004
Re: Electronic dash/intrument cluster for conversion in MX73 Cressida Thu, 07 October 2004 05:49 Go to previous message
Thanks.
As for the level of headfuck, well this probably so far has been more. We just happened to get the most rare of 2J's that was from a crown majesta that had a limited run only in japan, and needed a different wiring diagram for its ecu than every other 2JZ diagram out there. It took 8 months of chasing after we figured out what it was from, and by then when we nearly had it all sorted out ourselves, then we got special permission from toyota japan for them to reprint one copy for us, then we had it translated by a friend. Lots of heartache there.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll look into it.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:how much does a GT-4 weigh????
Next Topic:ma61 power steering rack
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 00:10:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050649642944336 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.