Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
WOW16V
Regular

May 2002
Car won't start Sun, 13 October 2002 07:58 Go to next message
my ae82 corolla has been sitting in the driveway all week,it just wouldn't start,it wasn't getting any fuel.It turned out to be a loose ecu wire(WIRE FC).I had all mine bullet crimped together and the circuit opening relay wire had come apart.I reconnected it and BINGO the car started up.I moved it back into the garage and decided to properly solder all the ecu wires.When i was re-soldering the wires,i was careful to only do one wire at a time that way i wouldn't get any crossed/wrong connections.Now stupid me i forgot to disconnect the battery and instead of taping up the bare solder on each wire as i did each one,i left the whole lot until the end.

SOMETHING I'VE DONE WHILE SOLDERING THE WIRES HAS CAUSED MY CAR NOT TO START.IT WAS WORKING FINE AFTER I RE-CONNECTED THE LOOSE ECU WIRE,BUT NOW AFTER FINISHING RE-SOLDERING THE WIRES IT WON'T START UP.

HOWEVER THERE IS ONE DEFINITE THING I REMEMBER:-When i was preparing one of the wires(i can't remember which one) i managed to touch some bare solder of another wire(it was an ecu earth wire)and i heard a CLICK and thought nothing of it and continued to finish the job.When i finished i taped up each wire individually and then plugged the ECU back into the plugs.I went to start the car and it would not start up.It will crank over and actually fire up but for like 1/2 second only.It seemed like it was starving for fuel.But i did the fuel pump check with the service wire and all is ok.I checked the circuit opening relay/efi main relay/fuses/breakers/starter switch/ecu voltages at wiring connectors and at the ecu itself.

WHAT THE HELL HAVE I DONE.I'VE DONE EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF,I WENT THROUGH MY MANUAL AND DID BASICALLY EVERYTHING IT SUGGESTS FOR EFI AND ECU PROBLEMS AND I CAN'T FIND A FAULT.I'VE NOW SPENT 2 FULL DAYS ON IT AND AT THE MOMENT I'M LOOKING AT TOWING IT TO MY LOCAL MECHANIC UNLESS SOMEONE CAN SUGGEST ANYTHING.

PLEASE HELP ME

Cheers Adrian
  Send a private message to this user    
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car won't start Sun, 13 October 2002 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could that click have been a circuit-breaker going off?
Check your soldering jobs?
Perhaps leave the battery disconnected for an hour then reconnect it?

Just giving suggestions.

I feel you are afraid you fried you ECU dude, I can read between the lines Sad
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Car won't start Sun, 13 October 2002 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope you get every thing worked out with out to much trouble or money. I know what its like to have ya car off the car.
whiteGZE
Regular

May 2002

Re: Car won't start Sun, 13 October 2002 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It sounds like you have shorted something out and a fuse has blown.

Try checking the fuses on the positive side of the battery terminal. Also check other fuses related to the engine.
WOW16V
Regular

May 2002
Re: Car won't start Sun, 13 October 2002 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is no way i have fried the ecu,it was not plugged in when i was doing the wiring,it was sitting on top of the washing machine.I've also changed the 2 breakers i know of,there is 1 in the drivers side kickpanel and 1 in the passenger side kickpanel,if there are anymore please let me know and i've checked all fuses and none are gone.Hope this brings out some more suggestions.

Cheers Adrian
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car won't start Sun, 13 October 2002 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dunno if this will help but I had a similar problem when I put my 4age into the sprinter. It was an aftermarket microtech and it worked for a few starts then stoped, then actually worked again the next day for a go or two then stuffed up again. It would kick over like u said but just wouldn't fire.

It turned out to be a bad earth, which blew some sort of fuel relay in the ecu. Cost $80 from microtech to get fixed.

Another thing is are you getting spark?
Blacki
Regular

September 2002
Re: Car won't start Mon, 14 October 2002 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That click could've been a fuse or a relay.
What sort of alarm do you have in your car...
If it runs for a few seconds then shuts off, sounds like my car when the engine immobiliser is activated.
May have set the immobiliser off when you touched the wires together (alarm detected as tampering?).
WOW16V
Regular

May 2002
Re: Car won't start Mon, 14 October 2002 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't have an alarm or imobiliser on my car and i've checked the earth wires as well.I've definately figured out that it is fuel related.The fuel pump is working but it may not be supplying the right pressure so i'm going to check that tonite.There may be enough fuel in the rail when i turn the ignition on cauz i can hear the pump running and then it stops when the rail gets full.So when i crank it over it fires up but the pump can't supply the right pressure so the car stops cauz there isn't enough fuel going to the injectors.

Do you think this sounds logical??? If this turns out to be the problem i'm going to kick myself

Cheers Adrian
Statts
Regular

September 2002

Re: Car won't start Mon, 14 October 2002 08:44 Go to previous message
Does your car have a battery?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:will a dato boss kit fit the celica
Next Topic:Exhaust Drone - Dumpie v's Straight pipe
Goto Forum: