Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Lowered springs on std shocks Thu, 07 October 2004 02:35 Go to next message
While I'm waiting on a new set of springs I'm running my car on 2" low springs with standard shocks. When the car is raised the springs have enough space to move freely between the shock and its hat, but when the car is on the road the shock compresses to the hight of the spring and has a fair bit of travel before it hits the bump stop. These are new shocks and I don't want to cause too much damage (of course!).
Question is: Is it ok to run the car in this state for a week or two? It's not as if I'm going to be jumping it, but I'm a bit concerened that if the shocks extend over a rise the springs will move around

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Lowered springs on std shocks Thu, 07 October 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This isn't much to worry about... like you say the car would have to get completely airborne before the springs will move, and even then they can't move much.
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: Lowered springs on std shocks Thu, 07 October 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Norbie.
My local mechanic acted like i'd commited some sort of crime against society.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Lowered springs on std shocks Thu, 07 October 2004 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha
probably just to get more money outta you.
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: Lowered springs on std shocks Thu, 07 October 2004 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He loves my money...
Condescending prick also
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Lowered springs on std shocks Fri, 08 October 2004 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to have that and everybody would go WTF?!?!?!?

Now i know there's nothing wrong with it except a little bumpy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Lowered springs on std shocks Fri, 08 October 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't say there was nothing wrong with it, I said it would be OK for a week or two!
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: Lowered springs on std shocks Fri, 08 October 2004 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rides really nicely, but I'm worried about the long term implications.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Lowered springs on std shocks Fri, 08 October 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt that what most people do , put lowered springs on the stock shocks and drive the car thats what i though anyway , i had them on my exa beforeand thats what i did and that what i will be doin to my soarer is tere any problems wit that i didnt think so till i seen this thread
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Lowered springs on std shocks Fri, 08 October 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry for confusion. I was using chopped springs, not aftermarket lowered ones.
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: Lowered springs on std shocks Fri, 08 October 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indian-
That's what i thought too, hence the springs I'm running now. Local mechanic cracked the shits and treated me like an idiot though.
Bigben-
Nice Levin man!
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Lowered springs on std shocks Fri, 08 October 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks. Not lowering it in the near future though
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: Lowered springs on std shocks Fri, 08 October 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Technically speaking, the springs SHOULD be fully captured when the shock is fully extended... It is quite possibly that during a compression/rebound stroke the spring could come "loose" and end up caught between the strut top/bottom and cause some damage.

The odds of this happening are extremely rare, depending on shock rate, spring size, bump stop size, etc, etc. If you cut the springs to much, remove the bump stops and run shitty shocks, it's quite possible for the spring to compress to much and have the shock extend quicker/further than the springs.
adavy84
Regular

February 2003

Re: Lowered springs on std shocks Fri, 08 October 2004 12:55 Go to previous message
Ill tell you that if you get a yellow sticker the ppl at the pits will pic this up and will say that when the car is jacked up the springs should fit in tight, so no moving around.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:'sticky' gears
Next Topic:Variable valve timing on 20v gze turbo?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 02:08:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057168006896973 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.