Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4age modification evaluations.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
4age modification evaluations. Thu, 30 September 2004 06:40 Go to next message
just wondering what mods u blokes have dont to ur 4age's, how well they have worked, how much they costed you, and whether you feel it was worth while in all aspects

p.s.

sorry for starting up ANOTHER 4age modification related thread!
  Send a private message to this user    
woznoz
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Thu, 30 September 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NEVER always need alot of 4AGE threads Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

well i have and tried a few things,

i can only tell u wat not to do and thats put a pod on the car lol

but i have this mate who works at autobarn who has a 4age aswell his got cams $800, chipped $700, Air induction, under the air box theres a pipe that goes down under the inner gaurd nice for cold air Cool, his has alot more boot than mine standard, his at autobarn bundall on the goldcoast if u live up here he'll help you out or maybe send them a email and his name is steve never know he might reply.

or go to http://www.billzilla.org/4agstock.htm

thats a very smart man ideed
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 01 October 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why do u say not to put a pod on the car?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 01 October 2004 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carsanactra wrote on Fri, 01 October 2004 14:13

why do u say not to put a pod on the car?

Well unless you go to the trouble of fabricating a totally isolated enclosure for it with a cold air feed, it will be sucking in hot air constantly and he worse than a good flowing filter in the factory airbox.
woznoz
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 01 October 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep callmefrank has it correct, hot air = bad, plus we have to many air sensors and vacume hoses so its alot faster-better-fuel economy to leave it standard, plus its about $100 for a piping that will fit all the sensors and you dont really gain alot.

people say you gain 5kw or so from a pod but really you dont, to make something work you need everything
-exhaust
-air filter (i have a KNN panel)
-platnum sparkies
-air induction
and so on...

me filter was $130 and its good, didnt make a speed difference but makes oil cleaner, air cleaner, prevents water adn dirt etc from getting into the engine. now wouldnt that be better than an amaginary 5kw??
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 01 October 2004 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A friend of mine from portugal is running a 20v throttle, motech, ze injectors, 288 toda cams, Custom pistons, twin injection, 5th injector to the throttle, light flywheel, shaved head(10to1 and high flowed),custom springs,Custom Cranck, improved combustion efficiency.
Tuned for 10.000 RPM redline. Just recently he crunched is second t50 so hes getting trd close ration gears.
Very fast engine for an NA
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 01 October 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anyone looked into getting a bigger throttle body put on to there N/A 4age. ive only seen it in supercharged cars?
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Sat, 02 October 2004 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok I have had on my AE86
Port and polish: performance gain isnt much, but the difference in exhaust note more than makes up for the price is cost me.

Pod: fuck all, same with airbox and cold air ducting. Note, my car never had an airbox to begin with.

Extractors: going against what everybody says, they made a pretty nice difference to power. I think the main reason for this is that my original manifold had some really dodgy bends connecting it to the rest of exhaust. I also like the sound of them (4-2-1's) alot nicer than 4-1's I have heard.

Cams: HKS 256 degree in and exhaust, I'll Tell you later today Smile

Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Sat, 02 October 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I put together a fairly healthy small port 4AGE in early 2003.
Cams ~300° / 0.380" lift.
Adjustable cam pulleys.
Shim-under buckets.
Ported head.
Forged pistons.
Group A conrods.
Lightened 40mm crank.
Modded oil pump, + oil returns from the head & block.
3kg Alloy flywheel.
NEVO crank, water pump, and alternator pulleys.
20v inlet throttle bodies on a fabricated inlet manifold.
Enlarged sump.
Motec M4 engine management.
4AGZE injectors.

I rev limited it to 8400rpm (though on the data-logging it's been to 8690) to make it last a long time, and built it to be unbreakable for those revs.
It makes about 140 ft-lbs and 185hp odd.
The other pleasing part was that it gets 42 mpg on the highway. Smile

http://www.billzilla.org/sprinterbay2.jpg

[Updated on: Sat, 02 October 2004 08:46]

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 4age modification evaluations. Sat, 02 October 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why no extractors bill?
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Sat, 02 October 2004 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Sat, 02 October 2004 22:48

why no extractors bill?

What for?
They don't give any more useful power.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4age modification evaluations. Sat, 02 October 2004 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Sat, 02 October 2004 22:48

why no extractors bill?

Stock exhaust manifold flows 185hp

"It makes about 140 ft-lbs and 185hp odd."

[Updated on: Sat, 02 October 2004 22:20]

Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Sun, 03 October 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
256 degree cams are definetely a good thing.
Idles not perfect, but the noise and midrange response is a nice improvement.
Smile
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Sun, 03 October 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
since changeing the extractors dont do anything, ive been told it is beneficial to lengthen the pipe between teh extractors to the catalytic converter? is this true?

what exhausts system is the best for a mildly worked 4age. id say2inch is fine, but 2.25 might do just that little more. however i dont feel the excessive noise is worth it.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Sun, 03 October 2004 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Bill,

Just wondering what you are doing to get constant cold air to the quad throttle setup ?

Does the Nevo pully kit come with a harmonic balancer ? - or some form of dampening to sort out unwanted engine harmonics ?

Thanks

James

[Updated on: Sun, 03 October 2004 20:15]

JMR_AW11
Newcomer

October 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Sun, 03 October 2004 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Both my mk1 MR2 AW11 s are standard apart from the ECU.
I reverse engineered the 4AGE ECU.

See www.jmross.freeserve.co.uk/page1.html
for my diagnostics/datalogging interface for this ECU.
I also made a reprog ROM board for this ECU that supports the original factory ROM.

I have had a lot of fun doing this. I am now looking at the 42pin micro used in the MR2 SC and the 64 pin micro used in the mk2 MR2 ECU and the Supra Turbo ECU.

I aam hoping to fit a better exhaust and air induction kit and mild cams soon.

Regards
Jeremy

Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Thu, 07 October 2004 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sated wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 06:13

Just wondering what you are doing to get constant cold air to the quad throttle setup ?

Nothing. Smile

sated wrote on Mon, 04 October 2004 06:13

Does the Nevo pully kit come with a harmonic balancer ? - or some form of dampening to sort out unwanted engine harmonics ?

No, nothing again.

exquisit
Regular

May 2003
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Thu, 07 October 2004 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was that 185 at the wheels??
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Thu, 07 October 2004 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No. About 185hp at the flywheel. To get 185hp at the wheels with a 1.6 4A-GE, you would probably need to rev it beyond 11000rpm.

With a N/A engine, you only need to know the capacity and peak RPM and you can have a very good guess at what power its makes at the flywheel.

Anything over 100hp per liter is very good for a engine that revs to less than 9000rpm, but not too hard to get with 16valve and big cams.
rx-3 ip
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 08 October 2004 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool Hi Bill,
Where did you get the cams done & how much it costs..? Cool
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 08 October 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rx-3 ip wrote on Fri, 08 October 2004 16:18

Cool Hi Bill,
Where did you get the cams done & how much it costs..? Cool

Kelford Cams, Nerang on the Gold Coast.
About $480 I think.
rx-3 ip
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 08 October 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Bill,

by the way where do you race your car & what class... ? is it in the improved prod..?
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 08 October 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rx-3 ip wrote on Fri, 08 October 2004 17:33

Thanks Bill,

by the way where do you race your car & what class... ? is it in the improved prod..?

Heh, that's just my road car.
I save the quick ones for the track! Smile
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 08 October 2004 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rx-3 ip wrote on Fri, 08 October 2004 17:33

Thanks Bill,

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 08 October 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any chance of a little more detail on the oil pump and drains? Yeah I've read your page..
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 08 October 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mainly just smoothing off all the sharp edges in the inlet and outlet of the pump to make it flow a little better.
Same with the oil drains, with a tiny little belt sander that I have at home. I removed all the casting flashes & smoothed off the sharp edges to let the oil return more effectively.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 08 October 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting Bill, now im curious to see what mine will be making.
304*/8.5mm cams
Solid Shim/Bucket (1SZ)
Adjustable camgears
Port/Polished Head
4-1 Extractors (almost as cheap as a cast mani for me)
3.4kg Alloy Flywheel
Haltech E6X
4AGZE injectors

All in all its pretty odd how two totally differently designed cars can end up being pretty similar. Simply because of a shared engine bay.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 08 October 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should be up around the 180hp mark if everything's right.
You'll know, because it'll be hard to drive in the wet. Smile
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 08 October 2004 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bill, ive read ur site a long time ago and do still go back there occasionally since i have a 4age. Best 4age site i have ever seen!! good one mate!!
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 08 October 2004 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This out of the topic but Bill i noticed your running an electric thermo fan/fans. I was just wondering if installing a electric thermo fan is hard to install wire up ect, cause i have to install thermos into mine (dam FWD water pump!) THANKS JoHnNy_K
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 08 October 2004 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Piece of piss - the switch is already in the FWD thermostat housing, just add a relay and fuse Evil or Very Mad
Adam_Rolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

February 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Sat, 09 October 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats the best oil to use in 4AGE engines ne way?
inark
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Wed, 25 May 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skaney wrote on Sat, 02 October 2004 10:52

ok I have had on my AE86
Port and polish: performance gain isnt much, but the difference in exhaust note more than makes up for the price is cost me.

Pod: fuck all, same with airbox and cold air ducting. Note, my car never had an airbox to begin with.

Extractors: going against what everybody says, they made a pretty nice difference to power. I think the main reason for this is that my original manifold had some really dodgy bends connecting it to the rest of exhaust. I also like the sound of them (4-2-1's) alot nicer than 4-1's I have heard.

Cams: HKS 256 degree in and exhaust, I'll Tell you later today Smile

sorry fo digging up an oldie but i thought it was better than asking the same shit thats probably been asked a lot.

to do similar mods to any 4AGE how much would all that cost as im building up a track car and want similar stuff done to mine.
trevtrev
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Wed, 25 May 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill's comments are great, and I have read every thing on his website, but I want to see a workup of a NA 20 Valve. Who has done and with costs etc?
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Wed, 25 May 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inark: Give you a run down of cost:

Port and Polish was around the $200 mark.
While the head is off get the valve clearances set for the higher lift cams, also get the head freshened up.
Total would probably be around the $500 mark.

My cams were expensive as they are new HKS ones. Cost me $900, but you could get cheaper ones through Wade cams, I just didnt have the time to wait for local stuff. I think these are around $500 a pair.

For extractors Anthony Kellams(sp?) ones are quite cheap. I think they are around $300?

You will need a new VRS kit to fit the head back up, plus maybe some new water outlets etc, so factor in another $200.

So all those mods would probably cost you about $1500.

My engine is coming apart at the moment and am probably giving the bottom end a freshen up with some High comp pistons. I also have some adjustable cam gears to fit.

Mi[d]dO
Regular

On Probation

October 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Wed, 25 May 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys, ive been reading this thread and trying to look up as much as i can on the 4age's and ze's as well, now i got a couple of q's.

i bought a sc14 that i was gunna whack on a 12a for the rolla but decided against it because im gunna use it for daily driving. so my question is should i buy a 4age or 4agze for the sc14? also what model engine should i be getting?

sorry to hijack the thread.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Wed, 25 May 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how longs a peice of string! best bet just get headers a good exhast 2 1/4 is fine,cams and computer for fuel.
mick
inark
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Wed, 25 May 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skaney wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 17:50

inark: Give you a run down of cost:

Port and Polish was around the $200 mark.
While the head is off get the valve clearances set for the higher lift cams, also get the head freshened up.
Total would probably be around the $500 mark.

My cams were expensive as they are new HKS ones. Cost me $900, but you could get cheaper ones through Wade cams, I just didnt have the time to wait for local stuff. I think these are around $500 a pair.

For extractors Anthony Kellams(sp?) ones are quite cheap. I think they are around $300?

You will need a new VRS kit to fit the head back up, plus maybe some new water outlets etc, so factor in another $200.

So all those mods would probably cost you about $1500.

My engine is coming apart at the moment and am probably giving the bottom end a freshen up with some High comp pistons. I also have some adjustable cam gears to fit.

cool thanks a lot...
so to factor in quad throttle bodies and all the bits needed for that i should add another 600+ on?
as well as a motec or some other form of engine management another 700ish??

im hoping that im over quoting on price guesstimates lol
EDIT:: i'll just get a 20V... cheaper and easier.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 May 2005 09:46]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Wed, 25 May 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
double it comes to mind! forget motec if your on a tight budget.think microtech etc and new quad throttle setup is going to be a lot more than $600 if you want that maybe your better of with a 20v.
mick
inark
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Wed, 25 May 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe yeah thought about that afterwards... found a 20v half cut for 1950... so that way i get the gearbox too (im building from a shell up)

then i spose my plan of attack will be:

-Cams
-Cam gears
-Port and polish
-Extractors
-2.25inch straight pipe exhaust
-ECU
-Bigger sump and oil pump
-Oil cooler and remote oil filter
-Injectors
-Kaaz LSD
-Suspension

should be ok for drift work...

wouldnt mind some forgies but dont think thats within the budget

[Updated on: Wed, 25 May 2005 09:53]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4age modification evaluations. Wed, 25 May 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inark wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 19:34

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh thats a classic.
You do know how much those ECUs cost dont you?
inark
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Wed, 25 May 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 20:53

inark wrote on Wed, 25 May 2005 19:34

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh thats a classic.
You do know how much those ECUs cost dont you?

well i thought i made it pretty obvious that i didnt.... next time i'll draw a picture
OUTRUN
Regular

January 2005
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Wed, 25 May 2005 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my corolla pulls 105 -110 kmh out of 2nd gear

only " modification" being $60 brandless pod filter

is this ordinary ?
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Thu, 26 May 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top speed in a particular gear means SFA what it usually means is you have a fairly low ratio diff being a stock corolla,

my sprinter rally car would be lucky to be be doing 110 in 3rd but i bet it gets to 110 twice as fast as your corolla. Thanks to a 5.1 ratio diff and close ratio gearbox.

terminal speed is no good if it takes you longer to get there IMHO.

FWIW even for a cheap ECU, budget $2000 for ECU, install and tune.

Ben.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4age modification evaluations. Thu, 26 May 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5.1 eh. How do you find it. Im thinking about a 4.5 or a 4.7 at the moment. Although i think ill be getting to higher speeds than you on the straightaways rather than dirt roads.
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Thu, 26 May 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldnt go any higher then 4.7 on track, we topped out at about 170/180 down Mount Panorama so you might need some more legs, check what ratio Terry runs.

Ben.
inark
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Thu, 26 May 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm if its going to cost 2k i may as well get a power FC... only costs like 1200 delivered from japan and i can get a good price on tune.

EDIT:: damn theyve gone back up again... 1600 delivered for the SPL version

[Updated on: Thu, 26 May 2005 07:28]

taylz
Newcomer

April 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Thu, 26 May 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm running a 4.875 hilux off the back of a moderately worked 20 valve (100rwkw) with a standard gearbox. It revs out to about 6500 in 5th at Hidden Valley (1.1km flat straight with about a 60km/h entry speed)
inark
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Thu, 26 May 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats a nice power figure in a sprinter... what list of engine mods do you have?
taylz
Newcomer

April 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 27 May 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inark wrote on Thu, 26 May 2005 17:33

thats a nice power figure in a sprinter... what list of engine mods do you have?

Wiseco pistons (not sure of c/r), lightened/balanced bottom end, cams (don't know the specs), adjustable cam gears, porting, bored out throttle bodies, bigger injectors, wedgeplate, modded oil pump, tuned length 4-1s, ext electric oil pump to cooler (leaves the int oil pump to lubricate the engine, but only cools the sump oil), Motec. It's running a fairly conservative tune atm, we didnt have a reliable way of detecting detonation on the dyno, so we increased the ign trim - made more power, increased the trim again - made more power again, so backed it back to the 1st setting. Its safe, but i'm sure there's more in it. Once I get my hands on some decent knock sensing gear, we'll go again and get a bit more aggressive with it. Its currently redlined at 8200rpm for the sake of longevity, and it's power curve was pretty much a straight line up to the soft cut, no holes or dips.

To put it all in perspective, My S15 pushed out the same rwkw figure on the same dyno with it's boost restrictor removed (additional 1.5psi) - its rated at 147kw (at the fly) from the factory, and it weighs 250kg more than the KE35 that my 4AG is in...
inark
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4age modification evaluations. Fri, 27 May 2005 06:13 Go to previous message
damn sounds nice mate.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Just need abit of info about changing headgasket on a 3sge
Next Topic:22RE dizzy, removing the inner components?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:31:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080008506774902 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.