Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
tyre pressure Sun, 13 October 2002 02:57 Go to next message
I just put my 15's back on and the AW11 weighs like 1100kg.

the rears are wrapped in noname tyres 60% tread = 32 pounds
the fronts are wrapped in pirrelli P5000's near new = 30 pounds

do these tyre pressures sound OK?
or should I adjust them?
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tyre pressure Sun, 13 October 2002 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive always had the rears 2-5psi lower than the fronts, apparently its common to do this on RWD cars

what are the tyre specs u have ???/???/15

im not one to be that anal about my tyre pressures and handling so i run about 35-40 on fronts and 32-35 on back
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: tyre pressure Sun, 13 October 2002 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ran 45psi for a while but started to wear out the middle of the tyres. I run 40 psi now.

Got low profile tyres though...

For standard tyres, just run 36psi.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: tyre pressure Sun, 13 October 2002 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just fill em up till they pop and then back it off a notch Very Happy Rolling Eyes
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: tyre pressure Sun, 13 October 2002 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are 195/50/15
nark, is my car as heavy as yours?
remember the AW11 is only little
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: tyre pressure Sun, 13 October 2002 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for a rear wheel drive front engine you should have the back 2 psi lower then the fron't, should have over 35psi i run 40 front and 38 back, sure you feel the bumps a bit more but no uneaven tyre wear, and don't worry about poping your tyres when they put new tyres on a wheel they pump them up to like 80psi or some crazy figure for the tyre to form around the rim so i wouldn't ever worry about over pumping a tyre,
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: tyre pressure Sun, 13 October 2002 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i generally run 35psi in all the cars i've owned. never seamed to have any wearing probs.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: tyre pressure Sun, 13 October 2002 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run 35 on the front, 33 on the back. all depends how cushy you want your ride, and on the profile (mine are standard wheels)

35 gives you good handling, and a bit bumpier. I'm tempted to even go a few pounds higher ... maybe next time I remember Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: tyre pressure Mon, 14 October 2002 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Sun, 13 October 2002 14:39

they are 195/50/15
nark, is my car as heavy as yours?
remember the AW11 is only little

My car weighed 1220kg with half a tank of petrol... Not sure how heavy an AW11 is...

If you have series 50s, try running 40psi. Maybe a couple less in the rear tyres.

If you guys think 40psi is bumpy, you should try 45psi! My car is full luxury now that I've gone back to 40... Very Happy
Blacki
Regular

September 2002
Re: tyre pressure Mon, 14 October 2002 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll also find that with the higher psi you'll get less rolling resistance (more economical).
The yokohama AVS Sport tyres are rated at 51psi.
And upto 186mph ~300kph
Redrolla
Occasional Poster

September 2002

Re: tyre pressure Mon, 14 October 2002 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You've gotta watch it with tyre pressures. There is no set pressure that any car can go by. Too soft, and the car will be sloppy, with an increased risk of bending a rim if you hit too big a bump.

Too hard, and you lose a lot of traction and you get an insane amount of centre tyre wear. even if a tyre is rated to 51 psi, it doesn't mean you should run it at that. maximum traction will be at the point where the tyre wears perfectly evenly. It's a balance between traction and wear.

The best way, is to pick a pressure (eg 30 psi). Drive with that pressure for a tank of fuel or so, and then check the wear on the tyres. Trust me, you'll see where it's scrubbing. Then do the same again but with a higher pressure. Eventually you'll get it right. but remember that different tyres run best at different pressures...
Redrolla
Occasional Poster

September 2002

Re: tyre pressure Mon, 14 October 2002 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can pump a tyre (When Brand new) up to about 400 psi. Yes 400 psi whithout it bursting. They are very robust. Different tyres will go at different pressures though.

I'm a mechanic/tyre fitter.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: tyre pressure Mon, 14 October 2002 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys
some nice ideas
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: tyre pressure Mon, 14 October 2002 06:11 Go to previous message
there is (i am told) a definitive way to work out whether you're getting the best out of your tyres or if you need to adjust the pressure.

pick a pressure (manufacturers suggested spec is usually a good starting point), and then go for a drive. drive the way you would when you want your tyres to perform at their best. if you spend most of your time driving like a granny, drive like a granny. If you spend most of the time driving like a bogan, do that.

then after a while, pull over, and check the temperatures on the middle and sides of your tyres. make sure you're doing approximately the same number of left/right turns so as not to throw the balance out of whack.

if the middle is hotter than the outside, you need to lower the pressure. if the outside edges are hotter than the inside, you need to raise the pressure. if one edge is hotter than the other, you need your wheel alignment/suspension geometry checked out.

you'll never get it perfect, but you can come bloody close. Ideally this should be done with a proper tyre pyrometer, but a regular probe thermometer should do the job.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Low & High beam?
Next Topic:how to swap over a steering wheel?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 01:51:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048239231109619 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.