Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
reverse crunches Sun, 10 October 2004 02:54 Go to next message
about 1/2 the times i shift into reverse i get a mean sounding gearbox crunch, its a T50 in a t-18, its always done it...hasn't really bothered me too much but it can be embarissing and i'de like it fixed, so whats going on?
my idle is a little high if that could be the problem?

cheers, jesse

[Updated on: Sun, 10 October 2004 02:55]

Send a private message to this user    
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: reverse crunches Sun, 10 October 2004 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hold the clutch in for a second, or put it in neutral then reverse
reverse doesnt have synchros.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: reverse crunches Sun, 10 October 2004 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what i know it happens because of the way toyota make their gearboxes engage reverse, which is via the idler gear (engages with 2 other gears).

bill sherwood has some stuff on it on his website i think.

its perfectly normal and it doesnt need to be "fixed".
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: reverse crunches Sun, 10 October 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Yeah, it's pretty normal. Sometimes mine won't want to go into reverse. You can do the clutch thing, as per mentioned above, or put it in 1st gear and just barely move the car, then go into reverse. Apparently the P51 box, which I have, is notorious for this. It happens just about everytime I go to reverse out of the garage - but the above solutions work a treat.

seeyuzz
river
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: reverse crunches Sun, 10 October 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had my T50 rebuilt bout 4 yrs ago now and it SOMETIMES does it once a blue moon and i mean literally blue moon. also mine only happens if the car is rolling forward too quick and i want to go in reverse and vice versa for first

but i must admit i recon i got an almost immac box, gears go in like a dream first time every time without fail. finger changing no matter what revs its at... hell the box is too good for the stock clutch Laughing
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: reverse crunches Sun, 10 October 2004 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try going from 4th into reverse (or was it second into reverse)

The mr2's box does it aswell, fuck its emberasin (almost as bad as my spelling) Laughing
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: reverse crunches Sun, 10 October 2004 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i don't get it?
i always put car in neutreal, clutch in, the start the car, then hold clutch in slip into reverse and CRRRRRRRRRRRRRUNCH

whats this trick, 1st gear, roll forward then reverse?
it isnt a huge pain just when theres people around and i do a crunch i am the laughing stock of everyone, just like the old running on problem but theres a trick for that one too so no more running on embarissment for me Very Happy
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: reverse crunches Sun, 10 October 2004 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know when its gonna happen on mine cause like i said its got awsome changing... so if it does go straight in i just let shifter go, release and press clutch again and all is good

i recon its clutch issue on my car
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: reverse crunches Sun, 10 October 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Yes Jess. I put the old girl into 1st gear and let the clutch to move it about 1-2 cm - absolutly bugger all, and then I put her into reverse and she goes in sweet. Try it, 'cos it is embarrasing to crunch the gears especially when it's not really your fault.

Mind you, I get laughed at by the missus when i stall the car. Luckily I've only done that twice. Smile

seeyuzz
river
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: reverse crunches Sun, 10 October 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha yeah, if i had a dollar for every time i'de been laughed at for a crunch that wasnt my fault or the running on....
i'de have enough dosh for a LSD so i wouldnt even need reverse

i'll give that trick a go, cheers
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: reverse crunches Sun, 10 October 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My T50 does this as well, particually after I've had a fair bit more pressure on the clutch/box (ie going up my steep driveway).
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: reverse crunches Sun, 10 October 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i often have to put it into 1st before i can get reverse, i don't engage it or move tho, just stick it in first and then straight over to reverse and it's usually good. after i got the car i had trouble with gettin it into second but that fixed itself Confused
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: reverse crunches Sun, 10 October 2004 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jessetamsett wrote on Sun, 10 October 2004 15:58

Quote:

i don't get it?
i always put car in neutreal, clutch in, the start the car, then hold clutch in slip into reverse and CRRRRRRRRRRRRRUNCH

whats this trick, 1st gear, roll forward then reverse?
it isnt a huge pain just when theres people around and i do a crunch i am the laughing stock of everyone, just like the old running on problem but theres a trick for that one too so no more running on embarissment for me Very Happy

i meant if its hard to get in gear, then put it back in neutral, foot off clutch, then try again.
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: reverse crunches Mon, 11 October 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
High idle is most prob part of the problem...

I find on my 22 that if i go from netural into 3rd, then 4th then up and over into reverse... does the trick every time for me...

Lucas.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: reverse crunches Mon, 11 October 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I get this with my T50 as well. Usually you can tell if it's gonna do it - It will not want to go in, then I put it in neutral, take my foot off the clutch, put the clutch back in and it will go in. Another thing I do is to shift 1st to 2nd and it will usually go straight in.
BR1183
Regular

October 2002
Re: reverse crunches Mon, 11 October 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speaking as mechanic which iam. You should really check your clutch adjustment if you really want to fix the problem instead of playing around with your idle. If it is not that it is internal and should be looked at by your mechanic.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: reverse crunches Mon, 11 October 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try this jesse:

(assuming you are backing into a parking space)

position the car, clutch in get out of first, go into 5th back into neutral and then reverse (clutch in all the time)

it works evertime as i have this same problem
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: reverse crunches Mon, 11 October 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahah
u guys, so much trouble just to reverse.
for me if it crunches it crunches, nothing to get embarassed about. though mine dont crunch unless car is still moving forward
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: reverse crunches Mon, 11 October 2004 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Audioslaver wrote on Mon, 11 October 2004 13:44

try this jesse:

(assuming you are backing into a parking space)

position the car, clutch in get out of first, go into 5th back into neutral and then reverse (clutch in all the time)

it works evertime as i have this same problem

This works perfectly on my R154 as well. Has crunched since I got it, and I found it was the only way to make it not crunch.
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: reverse crunches Mon, 11 October 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Confused My T50 does the same thing, and my 4age idle is quite high also. I always go clutch in, shift fast into first then back into reverse. Never crunches when i do this.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: reverse crunches Mon, 11 October 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Falcon (although a very different car) had the same kind of trouble and i found that if i simply put it in 1st, then straight to reverse it wouldn't crunch. I do that by habit with my celica now, im not even sure if it needs it but it worked so well in the falcon.
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: reverse crunches Mon, 11 October 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e,

out of interest, how much did it cost to rebuild your T50?
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: reverse crunches Mon, 11 October 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the new one i dont know cause it came rebuilt, the currrent one cost me $300 (but knew the guy)... a reco is bout $450-$500 i believe and a rebuild, depending waht you want in $ks (but im talking bout remaking gears if they arent available)
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: reverse crunches Mon, 11 October 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers.
Yeah people have told me rebuilding one costs mucho $$$$.
Just wondering what to do if my gearbox goes...

but hey I don't wanna hijack this thread!
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: reverse crunches Mon, 11 October 2004 12:47 Go to previous message
my old celica, my friends celica and my supra do it. a friend of a friends seca does it.

if its hard to go in, i release the clutch, put it back in... if it doesnt work, i hold it at about 2k revs and this helps to get it in. no crunching yay
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Toyota back in the game with new Supercar.
Next Topic:viruses in emails
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 15:14:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067670345306396 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.