Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Dicko
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Iuz transplant Fri, 13 August 2004 08:03 Go to next message
G'day
Thinking of putting a 1uz in a 94 JZA-80 supra 5 speed
Can it be done legally, if so what kind of mods needed.
  Send a private message to this user    
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Iuz transplant Fri, 13 August 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
legally no, not unless you spend the Big dollars involved in getting an engineer to sign off on it, do you mind if i ask why you are doing this, the 2JZ is such a gem of an engine and the JZA80 is one of the best balance jap cars ever. Why do you want to ruin that...??

BTW it will fit, the engine bay on a JZA80 is a massive animal and if a 1UZ can be put into an 86 then why not a supra...
Dicko
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Iuz transplant Fri, 13 August 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I realize the 2JZ is a great engine but I like to be differant
I plan on supercharging with a m90,after market ecu,fuel system upgrade,exhaust & a few other tweaks.
Have gone down this path before with a LTD soarer but had issues with the auto trans / ecu.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Iuz transplant Fri, 13 August 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you wanna be different then forget the 1UZ go the 1GZFE, twin throttle body V12 which means you can have two blowers...

*evil laffing*
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Iuz transplant Fri, 13 August 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyota makes a V12?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Iuz transplant Fri, 13 August 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5.0 litres in capacity, twin throttle bodies, 280ps but heaps more potential, used in the century limo...

*KICKS NORBIE*
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Iuz transplant Fri, 13 August 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Fri, 13 August 2004 18:29

legally no, not unless you spend the Big dollars involved in getting an engineer to sign off on it, do you mind if i ask why you are doing this, the 2JZ is such a gem of an engine and the JZA80 is one of the best balance jap cars ever. Why do you want to ruin that...??

BTW it will fit, the engine bay on a JZA80 is a massive animal and if a 1UZ can be put into an 86 then why not a supra...

I really don't like this post.

1. All modifications should be engineered to be legal. It isn't that expensive to get something engineered (I got a lot engineered for about $450)

2. What are the measurements of a JZA80 engine bay compared to a '86? I think you'll find the results supprising. Theres a lot more suspension in the Supra.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Iuz transplant Fri, 13 August 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dicko wrote on Fri, 13 August 2004 18:03

Thinking of putting a 1uz in a 94 JZA-80 supra 5 speed
Can it be done legally, if so what kind of mods needed.

There are a few people kicking the idea around. And yes its legal. What you should do before starting is to find and talk to an engineer and keep them up to date with what your doing, that way you'll remain legal and they'll sign off on it easyer later.

Youd need to think about things like:

sump orientation
aftermarket computer (if your putting a charger on you'll need one)
you'll need to convert it from auto to manual and depending on which supra 5 speed you want depends on which belhousing you need. The best place is castlemain rod shop to get belhousings from.

A Supra with a V8 is how it should be Very Happy
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Iuz transplant Fri, 13 August 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can give me the number of an Engineer that will engineer a V8 transplant or any transplant for that matter then send it over becuase i have only had a couple of quotes for work similar to this and it was soo rediculous it wasnt funny, in ther region of $1500...

Was I being ripped?

I have always seen the engine bay of a JZA80 as very similar to a *ZZ30 soarer
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Iuz transplant Fri, 13 August 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would think physically bolting it in would be a reasonably straight forward proposition. Using a JZZ30 1UZ and auto, it should just bolt up.

Getting the engine and auto to run and drive shouldn't be hard either. The Soarer 1UZ engine and auto share a common ECU so wiring them up to run would be a cinch.

The tricky business would be getting other things in the car to work in union with the 1UZ (eg ABS, traction control, tacho etc). Not insurmountable difficulties, but not having these things working in a late model car would detract from the driving pleasure.

There is also a kit available that uses the Eaton M90 supercharger and runs about 5 psi. It uses the standard ECU. Power is increased from 130 to 170 rwkW. It should be noted that a stock 2JZGTE with a $20 bleed valve will beat this everytime. I suppose being "unique" has its penalties.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 August 2004 11:12]

joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: Iuz transplant Fri, 13 August 2004 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey GT, about how much does your mx23 weigh with the 2jz in it? is a 2jz lighter than a 1uz? are you pleased with the results of your conversion?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Iuz transplant Fri, 13 August 2004 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2JZ = iron block, 1UZ = all alloy. Guess which is lighter.
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: Iuz transplant Fri, 13 August 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didn't know whether the 2jz was alloy or cast. how much does a 2jz weigh?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Iuz transplant Fri, 13 August 2004 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let's just say that when I dropped in the 2JZ, the front came up about 1.5 inches. The car weighs about 40kg lighter with the 2JZ, but I did fit a lighter manual gearbox, but I also put in a heavier Hilux diff.

For what it's worth, I have seen a Mk2 with a 1UZ in it, and the front comes up a mile.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Iuz transplant Sat, 14 August 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to support GT here - I have fitted a 1JZGTE & W58 to my MX13, and the front came up a good 1½" or so. Will probably sit a tad lower once the intercooler etc is in, but it's certainly not heavier than the old M engine & auto!

It was 1300kg (as driven) before I started the conversion. No lightening was done - this included all my normal junk, spare tyre, and I was sitting in the driver's seat when it was weighed. The only thing that would have made it lighter was a near-empty fuel tank... maybe another 25-30kgs there.

Remember this may sound heavy, but this is a real weight. The factory figure is "1170kg" apparently.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Iuz transplant Sat, 14 August 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Factory quoted weights are "Dry" ie. no oil, no coolant, no fuel, and no brake fluid! This is stanadardised across all manufacturers, and is just for rego purposes. The UZZ30/31/32 Soarers, and the JZA80 Supra, share the same basic platform, wheel base is a little shorter in the JZA80.

regards Chuck.
smiles24.7
Newcomer

August 2004
Re: Iuz transplant Sat, 21 August 2004 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys you could try ringing Ray Ferrari in W.A. on 04189 17585
He's done a few of these conversions for people over here (WA) The one i've seen he'd done had a turbo across the front an auto fitted, the 6 speed manual wouldn't handle it.
cheers
Smiles
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Iuz transplant Sun, 22 August 2004 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smiles24.7 wrote on Sun, 22 August 2004 01:15

Hi guys you could try ringing Ray Ferrari in W.A. on 04189 17585
He's done a few of these conversions for people over here (WA) The one i've seen he'd done had a turbo across the front an auto fitted, the 6 speed manual wouldn't handle it.
cheers
Smiles

the 6 speed couldnt handle it? thats quite a call, unless the owner had severe traction issues which an auto helped lessen Evil or Very Mad
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Iuz transplant Sun, 22 August 2004 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I seriously doubt the 6-speed would have problems behind a 1UZ, considering there are full-weight JZA80 Supras in the US doing 8 second quarters with stock 6-speeds. You won't find a factory gearbox much tougher than that!

More likely the 6-speed was ditched because it doesn't have a separate bellhousing, which means bolting it up to a different engine is pretty hard to do.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 23 August 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even my v8 weighs a shitload less than a 5m. My motor, though it sits back a bit further has lifted the car at LEAST 1.5"..it looks like a bloody prayin mantis!

i dare say itd weigh very similar, to less than a 1jz.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 23 August 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Fri, 13 August 2004 19:27

If you can give me the number of an Engineer that will engineer a V8 transplant or any transplant for that matter then send it over becuase i have only had a couple of quotes for work similar to this and it was soo rediculous it wasnt funny, in ther region of $1500...

Was I being ripped?

i got my car engineered, cost me 100 bucks Razz
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 23 August 2004 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Mon, 23 August 2004 15:41

MR 1GGTE wrote on Fri, 13 August 2004 19:27

Was I being ripped?

i got my car engineered, cost me 100 bucks Razz

Can i please have this certain persons number as I would also like to do the smae thing!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 23 August 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It won't help you much unless you plan on moving to Queensland.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 23 August 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 23 August 2004 16:25

driving to qld.. getting it engineered and driving back would probably be cheaper than his guy anyway.. though... bloody annoying
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 23 August 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Mon, 23 August 2004 15:57

Norbie wrote on Mon, 23 August 2004 16:25

driving to qld.. getting it engineered and driving back would probably be cheaper than his guy anyway.. though... bloody annoying

Not if I take a detour through the NT and then Enjoy some open speed limits Wink

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 23 August 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What I meant was, the engineering requirements in Qld are totally different to SA. You can't engineer an SA-registered car in Qld!
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 23 August 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 23 August 2004 16:42

What I meant was, the engineering requirements in Qld are totally different to SA. You can't engineer an SA-registered car in Qld!

I know that Norbie, goddamn you are soo easy to get worked up, take a friggin chill pill bro!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 23 August 2004 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Mon, 23 August 2004 17:25

I know that Norbie, goddamn you are soo easy to get worked up, take a friggin chill pill bro!

i dont think he got worked up...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 23 August 2004 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well excuse me for posting correct information. We can't have that on ToyMods now can we? Rolling Eyes
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 23 August 2004 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 08:28

Well excuse me for posting correct information. We can't have that on ToyMods now can we? Rolling Eyes

no!, that would be outrageous, slap yourself now for even thinking it was okay
Laughing
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Iuz transplant Tue, 24 August 2004 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Mon, 23 August 2004 21:49

MR 1GGTE wrote on Mon, 23 August 2004 17:25

i dont think he got worked up...

It was the (!) mark that gave me the impression he got worked up...It was a joke people...relax...can you feel the serenity?
smiles24.7
Newcomer

August 2004
Re: Iuz transplant Fri, 27 August 2004 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, sorry for the delay, shiftwork, gotta pay for the toys Very Happy ray said he'd rebuilt the six speed twice then the auto the same, (lots of abuse down at the motorplex drags i think ) Smile
think he said he'd detuned it to arround 580 hp, bugger eh Smile

smiles
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Iuz transplant Sat, 09 October 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry for the thread revival but ive never noticed this thread for some reason.

Anyone who says it's a dumb idea to drop a 1uz into a jza80 should be shot....

THIS IS THE EXACT CONVERSIO IM CURRENTLY UNDERTAKING.

Dicko, here's what you'll need!!!

1uz from the soarer (or any other 1uz and swap the soarer sump)
soarer 1uz engine mounts (fits right into the engine bay and clears the crossmember like it belongs there)
toyota crown wiring and ECU (soarer ECU is a pain in the arse to trick the engine into running without the auto box)
Ecu can be upgraded to aftermarket later on when money is available
custom bellhousing from CRS in victoria or Dellow automotive in sydney ($1400 for BH, clutch, flywheel etc)

for everyone's info, the 1uz is a stackload lighter than the 2jz.. and has a rock solid factory balanced bottom end... and can be made to rev to 10k rpm Shocked

the difference with my UZA80 is it will be TT and 6spd instead of the w58 5spd.

Anyhow, don't let anyone talk you down... personally, i think toyota should have released a supra with a v8....
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Iuz transplant Sat, 09 October 2004 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this shit about tricking the ecu i think is bullshit

i have yet to come across any that cause p[roblems that i personally have wired from start to finish

my auto one cause the most problems because the crown auto with 2 ecus needs all the stupid sensors for the gbox

all this about retarding timing and shit
no customer of mine has complained about bad performance

i have yet needed to trick the ecu

i just want to know has anyone dynoed a 1uz with a manual gbox
and std ecu and has found any probs
then has anyone tricked the ecu then redynoed to see what difference it makes

everyone winged about tricking the ecu
but do they actually do dyno runs to see if it makes a diff

i know on my hilux when the speed signal was slightly wrong
i melted both catalytic converters

maybe i had a bad batch of coverters whos knows

once i figured what the speed signal should be i have not melted the new cat converters

just every time i read people havin to trick the ecu
and theres no proof to it causing probs

if anyone has had or know of probs when running a manual gbox and a std ecu please tell me
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Iuz transplant Sun, 10 October 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R-jay wrote on Sat, 09 October 2004 17:34

sorry for the thread revival but ive never noticed this thread for some reason.

Anyone who says it's a dumb idea to drop a 1uz into a jza80 should be shot....

THIS IS THE EXACT CONVERSIO IM CURRENTLY UNDERTAKING.

Dicko, here's what you'll need!!!

1uz from the soarer (or any other 1uz and swap the soarer sump)
soarer 1uz engine mounts (fits right into the engine bay and clears the crossmember like it belongs there)
toyota crown wiring and ECU (soarer ECU is a pain in the arse to trick the engine into running without the auto box)
Ecu can be upgraded to aftermarket later on when money is available
custom bellhousing from CRS in victoria or Dellow automotive in sydney ($1400 for BH, clutch, flywheel etc)

for everyone's info, the 1uz is a stackload lighter than the 2jz.. and has a rock solid factory balanced bottom end... and can be made to rev to 10k rpm Shocked

the difference with my UZA80 is it will be TT and 6spd instead of the w58 5spd.

Anyhow, don't let anyone talk you down... personally, i think toyota should have released a supra with a v8....

I wouldnt say its a bad conversion IF you started with a 2jz GE.. but if you already have a TT 2jz gte in there, its pointless
nudes
Regular

October 2004
Re: Iuz transplant Sun, 10 October 2004 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where's it say that he's swapping from 2j tt to 1uz? wouldn a 1uz be a fair crack of the whip cheaper than a 2j?

like the man said.. you gotta part from the crowd somewhere along the line.. thats why its your car..
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Iuz transplant Sun, 10 October 2004 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nudes wrote on Sun, 10 October 2004 14:22

where's it say that he's swapping from 2j tt to 1uz? wouldn a 1uz be a fair crack of the whip cheaper than a 2j?

like the man said.. you gotta part from the crowd somewhere along the line.. thats why its your car..

i wasnt stating that he was
just in general
if yours is already TT'ed its a waste.. if not.. then worthwhile
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Iuz transplant Sun, 10 October 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think calling it a waste would be poor form for the fact that he's already stated he wants to do it to be different(which as GT also stated, being different can have penalties...or something to that effect)
It'd be interesting...even more so if the 1uz got a bit of TT treatment Wink Or a nasty big blower like an Eaton M112 Very Happy
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Iuz transplant Sun, 10 October 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Sun, 10 October 2004 16:16

I think calling it a waste would be poor form for the fact that he's already stated he wants to do it to be different(which as GT also stated, being different can have penalties...or something to that effect)
It'd be interesting...even more so if the 1uz got a bit of TT treatment Wink Or a nasty big blower like an Eaton M112 Very Happy

what i mean is the TT version costs 10k extra on most N/a models... therefor your already 10k up before you start a conversion.. so it would be silly where as with a N/A version it would be worthwhile spending the extra 10k for a bit of blown 1uz action. for the 10k on the 2jz-gte u will get a lot more benefeit sticking a mother of a turbo on than to put in a 1uz and turbo.

I think its a great conversion regardless..
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Iuz transplant Sun, 10 October 2004 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Sun, 10 October 2004 16:20

what i mean is the TT version costs 10k extra on most N/a models... therefor your already 10k up before you start a conversion.. so it would be silly where as with a N/A version it would be worthwhile spending the extra 10k for a bit of blown 1uz action. for the 10k on the 2jz-gte u will get a lot more benefeit sticking a mother of a turbo on than to put in a 1uz and turbo.

Point taken.

Do the TT models get larger brakes and the like over the NA?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Iuz transplant Sun, 10 October 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Sun, 10 October 2004 16:32

Jag7799 wrote on Sun, 10 October 2004 16:20

Point taken.

Do the TT models get larger brakes and the like over the NA?

i think so.. after 95 or something...
not entirely sure.. but the brake upgrade wouldnt cost a LOT
I sold my jzz30 front suspension and brakes for 300 bucks
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Iuz transplant Sun, 10 October 2004 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im starting with an n/a....
went out and bought a TT 6spd wreck..
i COULD go the TT route.. but that would just be too ordinary.. besides.. i'll argue with many the 1uz is just as good, if not better a base to start with for big HP.

not including the TT wreck i bought, i can gurantee it will cost me a whole lot less than 10k to throw in a 1uz and have more power than a stock TT 2j (which would cost around 10k as mentioned already)..

a crown halfcut will only cost 2k (just jap kirrawee)
dellow or CRS bellhousing kit with clutch setup is $1400
labour would cost a slab of beer to get some friends to help
wiring $600 for sideshow to do Razz
$2000 for a set of extractors made up
$1000 for a good power gaining exhaust system.

less than a TT swap and more power than a stock TT also has more potential (money not being an issue) to make big numbers.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 11 October 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You think a stock 1UZ will have more power than a stock TT? Think again my friend. Smile

More to the point, a 2JZ-GTE is capable of 400hp with a $20 bleed valve and a good exhaust. Try squeezing that sort of power out of a 1UZ and the price goes through the roof.

Don't get me wrong I like the idea of a built V8 in a Supra, but realistically, it's going to be FAR cheaper to get power out of a 2JZ. Just as long as you know what you're in for. Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 11 October 2004 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R-jay wrote on Sun, 10 October 2004 22:28

a crown halfcut will only cost 2k (just jap kirrawee)
dellow or CRS bellhousing kit with clutch setup is $1400
labour would cost a slab of beer to get some friends to help
wiring $600 for sideshow to do Razz
$2000 for a set of extractors made up
$1000 for a good power gaining exhaust system

You're forgetting to 2k for a decent aftermarket ecu and tuning

And even with the above mentioned, you still won't make what a 2JZ makes.

I'll let you know in a day or so what a 1uz with custom tuned extractors, aftermarket management, manual, and twin 70mm throttles is capable off.

And I guarentee it will be less than Norbie's 2JZ.

Btw Norbie, what did yours pull at the wheels?
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 11 October 2004 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 11 October 2004 10:55

You think a stock 1UZ will have more power than a stock TT? Think again my friend. Smile

hehe, i dont wanna get into any arguments with you norbie, but what i meant was.... a TT conversion would cost in the vicinity of 10k... and if you used that much on a v8 conversion, you'd definately have more power than a standard 2j....

1uz with extractors will already overpower a stock 2j.... add a supercharger (2k for a decent supercharger) and you have heaps of power and torque on tap...

the main reason i'm doing this conversion is because firstly, it would be different, and secondly, i believe i can make more power from the 1uz (over a long period of time and heaps of money) than i could from a 2j.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 11 October 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ummm, I've used 10k in my conversion, and I won't have as much power as a 2JZ

I've done EVERYTHING myself too (all bar tuning and exhuast anyway).

I think you're over estimating the potential of a cheap 1uz.
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 11 October 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cruzida, are you serious?

is 300hp that hard to make???... we're talking STOCK 2jz...

at most maybe 320hp for a stock japspec 2j
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 11 October 2004 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R-jay wrote on Mon, 11 October 2004 10:33

cruzida, are you serious?

is 300hp that hard to make???... we're talking STOCK 2jz...

at most maybe 320hp for a stock japspec 2j

300hp is not that hard to make.

But take one 2JZGTE, add one $20 bleed valve (as Norbie mentioned above), and your 300hp 2JZ becomes 400hp.

With my mods, I'm hoping for about 340-350hp.
But that is almost $4000 worth of mods (ecu, exhaust, twin TB's)

Car is getting tuned at the moment, I will know how much it gets hopefully tommorow.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 October 2004 02:41]

R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 11 October 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cruzida, yes i understand the 2j is capable of numbers with relatively cheap mods... but my argument was that for the same price, you could have the 1uz making more power than a stock 2jz... AT THE SAME PRICE....

i know a simple bleed can make power on the 2j though, hehe, ive owned one before....

as for your cressida, hope you make some decent numbers.. be sure to let us know how you go, i'd be very interested to know what a set of extractors can do for the uz... personally, im going the TT with twin throttle route...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 11 October 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Last dyno yielded 197hp at the wheels, but that was only at 5000rpm, and not at full throttle, and the car wasnt strapped down, so the wheels had a tendancy to spin.

But yes, for a 100% stock 2JZ conversion cost, you will get more power for a 1UZ conversion + mods.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 11 October 2004 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're getting ripped.

A chip and a catback exhaust will net you over 500 hp. Rolling Eyes
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 11 October 2004 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Mon, 11 October 2004 11:01

You're getting ripped.

A chip and a catback exhaust will net you over 500 hp. Rolling Eyes

Thats some nice input there GT
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 11 October 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's the point of comparing a modified 1UZ to a dead-stock factory 2JZ? Who leaves their 2JZ stock anyway? The important point is that an effectively-stock 2JZ will develop 400hp, and a 1UZ with the same level of mods won't even see 300.

I also don't understand why a GTE "conversion" (engine swap really) is going to cost $10k?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 11 October 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont forget about his single pod mod.... there has to be AT LEAST 50HP there..
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 11 October 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 11 October 2004 13:39

dont forget about his single pod mod.... there has to be AT LEAST 50HP there..

ROFL!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Does that mean If I put tw0 pods on my hektik twin turbo soarer I will get 100hp? Razz
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Iuz transplant Mon, 11 October 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the best thing to do is look at what you want in 3 or 5 yrs time

both the 2j and 1uz will have alot of power if you throw 15000
into it

if u plan to keep throwing money into it then go for the stronger engine

but like most jobs once u up the power u will need the rest of the car done

so give yrself a hp figure u want to eventually reach

now build the car to suit that
because i garantee that its cheaper to do the job first time correctly and not 5 times over and over

u will need stronger

gbox
fuel system
brakes maybe
diff
engine internals maybe

gomac bolted 2 turbos to a 1uz and got 500 hp easily
but for him it was easy maybe not cheap

for most people on here doin conversions its not cheap

if i cant do the job properly i dont start it at all

twin turbo on a 1uz is very good but doin it properly, neatly,
and easy to work and dismantle is hard and not cheap

in the end if you are goin to throw a shitload of money into then what engine u start with doesnt matter

just see what u want as a final product
price it out
and do what makes you happy
because on here u get many different opinions
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Iuz transplant Tue, 12 October 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm being the only guy on this list with a TTUZ that i'm aware of i guess i should chime in.

Mostly valid points from all sides but you have to say hats off to R-Jay. That is an excellent and very easy conversion (well except for TT part which is still readily doable, just not easy).

As for comparing a UZ to 2JZ...it's always going to be tricky as the UZ never came from factory in turbo form.

Look at both motors in atmo form and the UZ wins hands down as you would expect from an extra litre of capacity. Throw the same mods at them and the UZ will still always be in front.

Do the UZ in a proper turbo form and it's the same story. This is where it gets trickier as the 2JZTE clearly has the stronger base traight from factory but don't under rate the UZ as it's also ver strong.

I was saving this result for the upcoming dyno day but now is as good a time as any i guess. I just had mine dynoed on a paltry 6.5 psi thru the totally restrictive 2.5 single rear muffler and it laid down an easy 265kw at the treads. Can't say i've ever seen a 2JZ produce those numbers on anything less than twice the boost. Fix the leaking external wastegate gaskets and put a decent flowing exhaust on and at the same boost should be good for another 20 or so rwkw. Crank the boost to 12psi, which it will handle with easy as shown by Jamie and your gues is as good as mine at to what the exact figure would be....it's gonna be around 350rwkw though. We'll find out after Xmass when i install the R154 Smile

The 2JZ is an awesome motor and if i had a TT JZA80 i'd play with that for sure rather than try a uz conversion. But R-Jay is on the money with his proj and i look forward to seeing how it shapes up in the end

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Iuz transplant Tue, 12 October 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustenGT4 do you mind If i ask what sort of car you have this monstrous motor in?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Iuz transplant Tue, 12 October 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Tue, 12 October 2004 11:44

JustenGT4 do you mind If i ask what sort of car you have this monstrous motor in?

Errr, how about a GT4 Celica? ST185 I believe
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Iuz transplant Tue, 12 October 2004 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 12 October 2004 13:21

MR 1GGTE wrote on Tue, 12 October 2004 11:44

Errr, how about a GT4 Celica? ST185 I believe

zuh?!

does it have an east west setup?
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1GGTE exhaust
Next Topic:CT12's.......?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 07:38:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010244131088257 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.