Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Toyota back in the game with new Supercar.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
stereomike
Regular

February 2004
Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Thu, 07 October 2004 15:05 Go to next message
You guys heard about this one? Admittedly I'm too fuckin' busy lately to go trawling through the forum for this shit, but that ain't no reason to not share it ay? If you've seen it, ignore it! If not, then it's all good Smile

http://img64.exs.cx/img64/334/toyota_new001.jpg

http://img64.exs.cx/img64/5304/toyota_new002.jpg

Quote:

Toyota has been eyeing Nissan's success with the revived 350Z - and apparently, from spy pictures nabbed this week, it's been a little jealous of supercars like the Porsche Carrera GT, too. Toyota 's been caught testing what some insiders are calling the "TXS," a limited-production exotic that might be powered by a V-10 engine worth 500 hp.

Pictures show the TXS with enough cladding to disguise much of its shape, but clearly, this is no Celica or MR2-sized sportscar. Insiders suggest the car will tip in at less than 3000 pounds, giving its 500-hp powerplant (with 370 lb-ft of torque) a serious chance at catching the likes of the Porsche and Benz supercars. Top speed could reach 190 mph, the same league as the 550-hp Ford GT. Whether the drivetrain offers any version of Toyota 's hybrid technology is unknown.

Whether the final vehicle is sold as a Lexus or as a Toyota , it's likely that a limited production run of about 10,000 units is in order. Expect a debut at the 2005 Tokyo Motor Show and an on-sale date soon after - with a price tag well over $100,000.

Shame about the price tag, keeps most of us fanboys out of the party, but at least Toyota's back in the street game!

It'd be sweet to think of this as a new Supra, but I think this car is definitely in a higher league than that, especially if it's gonna roll off the showroom foor with the ability to keep up with the Ford GT40.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 October 2004 15:07]

Send a private message to this user    
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Thu, 07 October 2004 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woul appear that link i posted a while ago that everyon said was bullshit has some weight behind it now.
mind you, that car certianly does look like an evolved supra, just the general shape of it actually. Maybe toyota will release a supercar version of it and a mk5 supra version of it with a detuned engine thats affordable to the masses
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Thu, 07 October 2004 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
People didn't say the thought of Toyota making a supercar or a new Mk5 Supra was bullshit, it was that the picture was of the new one. It was clearly a photochop of a Mk4.
dizzy
Regular

February 2004
Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Thu, 07 October 2004 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this one looks to be a mid rear layout
very niche
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Thu, 07 October 2004 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v-10 and three exhaust tips - odd? Rolling Eyes
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Thu, 07 October 2004 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope they just put the MKIV into production again.

I want a MKIV Supra! :'(
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Thu, 07 October 2004 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
history repeats itself

another flop just like the 2000GT.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Thu, 07 October 2004 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3 exhausts is not so weird... a few big engine cars have 3.

As for mid engined..... well, anyone who's seen pics of a carerra GT, zonda or mclaren F1 side on will know you couldn't cram a v10 into that pissy little boot in that "supra?

and it still looks a lot like a mk4
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Fri, 08 October 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks interesting. Seems to have that sharp line of the current celica that goes along the side of the car just under the windows all the way to the rear taillights. But its definately got that supra looking shape of the roof.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Fri, 08 October 2004 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Why would Toyota build a test vehicle in LHD? Surely, being a RHD country they would build the vehicle RHD for testing and eval purposes? Confused

Also, if it's a flop, like the GT2000, then bring it on. Those GT2000 "flops" are worth a mint now. I'd like to have one. Smile

seeyuzz
river
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Fri, 08 October 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Fri, 08 October 2004 19:59

Why would Toyota build a test vehicle in LHD? Surely, being a RHD country they would build the vehicle RHD for testing and eval purposes? Confused

No doubt being an exotic sort of car, possibly a V10 at that, it would be built largely by their European division.
JZA70_R
Regular

December 2003

Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Fri, 08 October 2004 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like Supra cross MR2... Supra2??? Rolling Eyes
scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Fri, 08 October 2004 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
back looks like current model celica?
cutsGotBoost
Regular

September 2004
Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Sun, 10 October 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 2000gt is one of the best classic sports cars of all time, they made it into a bond movie.
long live the 2000gt
cheese_cracka
Regular

June 2004
Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Mon, 11 October 2004 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i seriously think this is tha new celica.....
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Mon, 11 October 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Methinks its a bit massive for that dude, especially in the rear.
cheese_cracka
Regular

June 2004
Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Mon, 11 October 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=39766&rid=6106&S=9d1a0e47f27f03165fdf84f 482da63d4&pl_view=&start=0#msg_355259

u cant tell me they dont look extremly similar
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Mon, 11 October 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it me or does the driver look extremely small in the second shot?

hes alright in the first, ill give him that
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Toyota back in the game with new Supercar. Mon, 11 October 2004 13:12 Go to previous message
heres another ive seen around
http://www.autothing.com/images/Fun%20Things/Spy%20Shots/Toyota-05-Supra/FT-SS-05Supra1.jpg
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Toyota Supra Chassis Numbers
Next Topic:reverse crunches
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 02:42:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061750411987305 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.