Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home? Sun, 10 October 2004 09:38 Go to next message
ive tried paint stripper before and it worked ok but there is like 4 different layers of paint plus primers so i dont think stripper will work. at the moment i was using sanding pads on a grinder which works good but they get used real quick and will end up costing alot. Whats the easiest was i can do it at home or should i stick to my grinder with sanding pad?
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home? Sun, 10 October 2004 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wire brush on a grinder or sander/polisher - will chew thru bug quick-smart.

something like this on the business of a grinder:
http://www.circlesaw.com/shoppingcart/31348521125.jpg
but you'll need goggles and mask

[Updated on: Sun, 10 October 2004 10:07]

people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home? Sun, 10 October 2004 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tried that once before...the wire brush chewed out in about 2 minutes.....Im thinking sanding pads is gonna be my only option
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home? Sun, 10 October 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the thing i have lated thru de-rusting farm machinery parts, bbq, etc... sounds like you got a dud.

mine looks like the pic above - is v.heavy duty
Gazza53
Regular

August 2004
Re: Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home? Sun, 10 October 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are two different types of brushes, straight bristles that wear out quickly or the twisted type which are a lot harder wearing, the twisted ones will rip paint off fairly quickly
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home? Sun, 10 October 2004 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be careful using a wire brush on car panels as it gets hot and can warp them (I found this out the hard way)

BEN
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home? Sun, 10 October 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can buy these paint and rust stripper pad thingys from Bunnings and other hardwares. They are like a sponge but have an abrasive glued to them. They dont clog like sanding pads and they dont mark the panels like some wire brush wheels do. I have stripped two cars back using them before and found them real handy. They do wear down so you will probably have to buy a few to do a car. The double pad ones dont flex like the single pad ones and are better to use.

But as stated earlier by Ben, dont heat up the panel too much by working in just one spot as it WILL warp the panel.

I dont recommend using these things on the roof either as it warps way too easily (I too learnt this the hard way). Paint stripper is probably the best for the roof. Or good old sanding.

[Updated on: Sun, 10 October 2004 13:03]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home? Sun, 10 October 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've tried a few things. Seriously, just get yourself a good paint stripper and take your time. It worked out so much quicker and there was some uber dodgy bits on my car. The whole thing had multiple coats.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home? Sun, 10 October 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I will second the above post on stripper. You will have to buy some quality stripper, not the crap from "Super cheap".
I sourced some in a 4 litre can from Bunnings, it did a whole Celica with some to spare. You will find most cars have only been re-painted on the outside. I use Aluminium tape to tape around the edges of panels, this lessens the chance of the stripper getting into unwanted places. When stripping is complete, remove the tape, and sand to the edges. Very Happy

I came across a car which someone had tried to strip, obviously without any forethought. Chrome strips and trim pieces were still on the car! Stripper had run inside the doors, under the bootlid etc. What a bloody disaster. Shocked

regards Chuck.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home? Mon, 11 October 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did some investigating tonight. ive found 9 different layers i need to get through. I was using sand paper on the grinder and found that it was warping the roof due to how thin it is and i want to avoid this. How well will the stripper work if theres alot to get rid of?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home? Mon, 11 October 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fine, just buy a good stripper, use it thick and let it work Smile
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home? Mon, 11 October 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Before you use the paint stripper, scratch up the paint surface so the stripper can get in and under the paint. Just be careful not to scratch the metal.

Brad
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home? Mon, 11 October 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we use a painter stripper at work, called "Peel Away", theres either number 6 (green) and pretty weak, or number 1 (white) which is strong as, you apply a think coat of it, and then wrap this paper shit over it that comes with it, leave it for 24hrs, and in theory, when you come to peel the paper stuff off, all the paint and stripper stuff should be stuck to the paper.
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home? Mon, 11 October 2004 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why don't you just buy a small sandblaster attachment for a compressor. they are pretty cheap and are only small so they shouldn't warp the body. Sandblasters are good cause the require very little effort, just aim. make sure you have nothing else in the shed though, cause the fuckin sand gets everywhere. I just made a "sanding" booth in my shed with tarps the swept it up as I ran out.

Tim.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home? Mon, 11 October 2004 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when cutting back some shonky parts on the 2 i used 80 grit paper on an air powered orbital sander. worked wonders Smile will take some time though. i only had to cut back like that on the door and it took a day to cut it then smooth it back with 400 grit. probaly half dozen sheets of 80grit just to keep them sharp.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home? Tue, 12 October 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've used paint stripper before.
I roughed up the surface with sand paper layered on the paint stripper and 90% of the paint came off easily. I finised off with one of those spong type abrasive pads and took out all the bog with a wire brush on a drill.

Most of the work was done with the paint stripper.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Car back to bare metal. Easiest way that can be done at home? Tue, 12 October 2004 01:06 Go to previous message
the safest way is paint stripper... but dont just put int on, that is completely WRONG... what you need to do is get a screw driver for example and scratch the whole area as deepas possible without damaging panel, then apply paint stripper... leave for bout 10-15min (on very hot days keep checking it cause you dont want the stripper to dry)

this way the stripper works from underneath and not just on the surface... paint will come off in seconds once it sinks in...

the other option is to get a circular sander (grinder), like the buffing machine but you put sand paper on it... the paper is grade 10... this works quicker than pant stripper but is alot messier as you got dust flying everywhere... also be careful not to get deep scratches in the metal... if that happens then you gotta go over it with 36 grade paper and then over that with a grade of paper in the low hundreds...

after either one you need to etch primer straight away!!! they say 1ltr will do the whole car cause all you need is one coat but i used the 1ltr on the doors, onnet and boot cause i layed it on thick as my car is in a car port and diretly prone to weather problems Confused (i wish i had it in the garage but no room as all car parts and other stuff in there

but ultimately the best is sandblasting... but you are after home remedies... also the wire bruch mentioned above is also AWSOME but it heats up HAAAAAAAAARD so be very very careful with it as it WILL warp metal and then your gonna have to start shrinking the affected areas if it warps

hope this helps

cheers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:fuel pressure reg qn
Next Topic:E58 drive shaft removal
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 08:28:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067319869995117 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.