Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1990 Hilux Surf turbo diesel engine conversion options

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

1990 Hilux Surf turbo diesel engine conversion options Mon, 11 October 2004 04:49 Go to next message
Before ed chucks a poopy and tells me i havent searched - i HAVE Razz

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=359956&rid=883&S=ecf923a8bb0f8217225c2 aefad5be247

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=180435&rid=883&S=ecf923a8bb0f8217225c2 aefad5be247

I would like to know if anyone knows more about the use of the VZ series engines in the later model surf's, and how involed it would be swapping one into a 1990 model turbo deisel. I'm trying to get the model, but the owner doesnt know that atm and the car is in a workshop Razz.

More searching will be done tonight at home but i would like to see what information the greater toymods community can throw my way.

# possibility of 3MZ-FE conversion? how pricey are these motors atm?
# approx costs of 1UZ-FE conversion if DIY? i would seriously have no idea!
# Ease of VZ engine swap, and parts required

If i find anything about these conversion myself, i will post them up.
  Send a private message to this user    
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 1990 Hilux Surf turbo diesel engine conversion options Mon, 11 October 2004 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh... and what about a 1ggte? being based on an R series engine platform, would i be correct in assuming that the 1G would fit in the engine bay easily enough? But does anyone know if there is a solution to the gearbox?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1990 Hilux Surf turbo diesel engine conversion options Mon, 11 October 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The VZ series engine is a bit of a pig, but they are compact(ish)

The UZ would be the cream but will it fit?

The MZ may be the best midway, if you can get around the FWD inlet manifold setup.

I can't see there being a huge cost difference between these, except for the initial cost of the motor/ecu.
Obviously the MZ could be a little bit more pricey if some custom manifold fabrication is required.

Whats the length of the bay? firewall to radiator?
I know the UZ would have been a tight squeeze in my dads 98 Prado, but swap the auto bellhousing to an UZ one and the motor would bolt straight up to the 4WD box.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1990 Hilux Surf turbo diesel engine conversion options Mon, 11 October 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also Karl, give us some guidelines.

Leaving 100% stock?
Toyota factory ECU's?
Manual or Auto?
Uses?
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 1990 Hilux Surf turbo diesel engine conversion options Mon, 11 October 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would the UZ not be a similar conversion to a hilux????
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1990 Hilux Surf turbo diesel engine conversion options Mon, 11 October 2004 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did a 1uz in a surf recently
not to sure exactly whats involved

it fits piss easy
not to sure what surf it was either

from what i have heard the 1uz bolts up to the surf auto gbox

then all u need to do is make engine mounts
mod radiator/thermo fans wiring efi fuel system power steer and a/c and exhaust

so u prob be looking up to 5000
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 1990 Hilux Surf turbo diesel engine conversion options Mon, 11 October 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok its for one of the older guys at work, its currently a manual 2.4L turbo diesel, with a blown motor.

Wants to remain stock, currently a manual - keeping the manual is prefered i believe. Leaving as stock as possible, factory ECU, daily driving and holidays, including some actual 4x4 use. I had recommended a nice 15 yr import for him, but he wants the 4x4 and loves the toyota Very Happy

it's an early model, same as this: http://geocities.com/deonsv8hilux/

I've found a place in Melbourne, Marks 4WD adaptors, which apparently does conversion kits for the Surfs, so im going to talk to them tomorrow.

Im also thinking the 1G-GTE would be a pretty cool (and CHEAP) option for the Surf, as talking to Rod he rekons the G series box has the same pattern as the W boxes and so the 1G bellhousing would work! Thens its just a matter of engine mounts Smiley = well at least that what it looks like for now.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1990 Hilux Surf turbo diesel engine conversion options Mon, 11 October 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just remember with diesels u need an extra couple hundred bucks for fuel system if you go efi

afew months ago i had to fix a surf/hilux
they had removed the 2.4 diesel engine

the 2.4 engines are not very good
they blow headgaskets and have shit cooling

they fitted a 1kz engine
this is a 3 lt turbo with edi electronic diesel injection
but so they would not need the edi ecu and wiring
they got the diesel injection pump modified to be just mechanical injection and not electronic injection

then all u do is take it back to diesel shop and they adjust the pump to get right mixtures

this is a cheaper option

or u could fit the 1kz 3lt turbo and wire up the edi
which i have done before

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1990 Hilux Surf turbo diesel engine conversion options Mon, 11 October 2004 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karl,

Get the the gearbox code off the build plate in the engine bay it will either have an R (most probably) or a G series box. If it is a G series these are the same as the W series but with 4WD ratios, so getting a bellhousing to suit a 1UZ would be easy i think, don't know how long the box will last with the extra power but. If it is an R series box most probably R150f, then this is the same as a R154 with 4wd ratios. However you cannot use R154 bellhousings as the r150 and R151 have a 160mm input shaft as opposed to the R154 190mm. Good news is Dellow make bellhousings to bolt the R151, R150 to the 1UZ.

As for the other engines I cannot help.

Marks usually only has conversion kits to fit ford, chev and holden motors to 4wd's.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: 1990 Hilux Surf turbo diesel engine conversion options Tue, 12 October 2004 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Probably the best petrol engine would be the 5VZ-FE 3.4L V6.
This is a north-south RWD only configuration as fitted to the Prado & therefore a direct bolt in, probably also upto the existing gearbox.

Remember though, the diesel gearbox will have VASTLY different ratios to the petrol box.
1st gear is very short, 2nd gear is tall, final drive is also taller as the diesel doesn't rev as high.

A completely different fuel setup will be required. A separate surge tank, or petrol fuel tank with pump, will be needed as the diesel along uses the mechanical pump on the engine which needs priming if you run out of fuel. ie no electric fuel pump near the tank.

The 3MZ is impossible to get yet. I know coz that's the engine I'd really like to put in my car. And setup for east-west only as well.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 1990 Hilux Surf turbo diesel engine conversion options Tue, 12 October 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have have done a little searching for teh 5VZ engine from importers, and talking to the guys no one currently has one (in the major importers), when they have had them they are freaken expensive (CVAP had them at $3.5-4k!!!) and the ones at CVAP both blew head gaskets. Im going to call some more, but its unlikely Sad

Mark's aparently DOES have the 1UZ-FE conversion bits, but i want to talk to them anyway to see if they have and of the other fabricated bits such as sump, engine mounts (doubt it) and the whole bellhousing gizzo. I also wanted to talk to some guys about the bearbox suitability with the 1UZ as wagonist has mentioned.

Being an early model Surf, the R series box is doubtful, im pretty sure its a G box, but of course i dont know until i get the info off the plate!

There are heaps of places who do the 1UZ-FE conversion, im going to talk to one around the corner and see what they have to say!
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: 1990 Hilux Surf turbo diesel engine conversion options Tue, 12 October 2004 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anything that's been associated with a 4wd is always expensive.
Don't know why.
but even with an adapter for the 1UZ, it'll probably be cheaper than the 5VZ.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 1990 Hilux Surf turbo diesel engine conversion options Sun, 07 November 2004 09:45 Go to previous message
Any updates on this cause a mates wanting to do the same thing.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae86 front strut and brake upgrade
Next Topic:Respray body / retrime interior fix
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 05:27:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.017325162887573 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.