Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
1g cutting out at 4000rpm Sun, 10 October 2004 10:16 Go to next message
I recently put in a replacement engine. Planning on going to a big single turbo, i put cleaned flow tested 440cc from a 7m in. Now I have hardly driven it apart from getting it rwc and to Vic roads. It would always cut out at 3500-4000rpm under heavy acceleration which I put down to the injectors overfuelling it.

So i installed a safc and turned every dial to -30% to bring the injector flow down to 308cc as a rough guide. Then changed the plugs to ngk BCPR5EY GAPPED TO .7MM. Set the timing to 10deg and changed the oil and filter. Planning to run higher boost as soon as i fit a recirc bov. The car is more responsive now but still cuts out at 4000rpm.
I tried the fuel pump short fp to b+ , no difference.
I have played with the afm connection as it looked to have some overspray in it, sanded it clean for contact.

Running out of ideas to check.

Is the AFM rooted?
the 02 Sensor?

Its a manual conversion with a manual ecu. Auto trans ecu removed.
How do you read the diagnostic port? I have searched but no answers yet.
Thanks in advance

Send a private message to this user    
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Mon, 11 October 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For diagnostics I think you ground the "T" terminal in the diagnostic connector thingo.

When you turn on the ignition, the check engine light will flash a code, for instance 2 flashes, a pause, then 4 flashes is the code 24... look that up (in the gallery/repository on this site) and you'll have a clue as to what is broken.

Good luck!
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Mon, 11 October 2004 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah, you don't ground a terminal, there are 2 terminals in the diagnostic connector you have to bridge I can't find a pic to show you at the moment, I'll dig one up if no-one else can help you.

in the towmods tech docs section is a .DOC file with the codes.

Tim.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Mon, 11 October 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's T and E1 or something like that.

My brain is fried because i'm putting up with the noise of kids screaming and shouting while they throw a ball around a tiny hall.
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Mon, 11 October 2004 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When i short over T and E1 it makes the engine light flash continuosly.
What does that mean.
The doc in tech docs section lists all the codes, but not what the flashes mean. It only has number listings there so i am still lost. Do i have to have a toyota diag tool?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Mon, 11 October 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Constant flashing is everythings OK, diagnostics wise.

I doubt it would be overfuelling, it would take a lot of fuel to stop a motor doing 4k rpm, with boost.
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Mon, 11 October 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, thats good to know.

I wonder if its the afm sticking or malfunctioning. The previous owner managed to get overspray inside it which i have nearly removed all of.
Is the 7mge afm interchangeable/upgrade to compensate for the larger injectors?
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Mon, 11 October 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok , i just looked at the afm , it moves smoothly for the full rev range. Another theory out the window

Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Mon, 11 October 2004 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was the problem at 4000rpm there with stock injectors etc?
Is 4000rpm about where the 1GGTE goes from closed to open loop?
What are the load sensors on a 1GGTE - AFM and MAP or just AFM?
Have you checked AFM, MAP and TPS operation?

Where are all the 1GGTE gurus?

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Mon, 11 October 2004 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They only have AFM and TPS. It shouldn't use closed loop at all under WOT.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Mon, 11 October 2004 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont understand people who change injectors and hope that everything will be fine

maybe its just me but i have never liked using air flow meter signal converters

i think theyre cheap and nasty way of gettin extra fuel

if i were u just save up for and aaftermarket ecu

u say u are goin big single turbo and other shit

so eventually u will need an aftermarket ecu

why not getr one now

best way to see what prob is
is to dyno it

this will tell you what the mixtures are doing and tell you whether the bigger injectors and the safc has fukt the mixtures up

[Updated on: Mon, 11 October 2004 13:34]

acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Mon, 11 October 2004 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The plan is to do all of thes things.
The injectors were put in when the engine was out, i am still waiting for my turbo to arrive..

Its a cheap job i know, i didn't say i was doing it properly. The SAFC is a stop gap measure for now.
Basically i have converted to manaul and put a new engine in, bought the maniflod for the single , the turbo, boost controller, FMIC and torsen LSD and now want to drive it instead of waiting forever.
Got it RWC and Reg and need to save some more money for management.

BTW the speedo works with the 20 pulse sender unit. thanks Sideshow

Can anyone confirm if this is the map
http://www.thesoarer.com/Default.aspx?tabid=572
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Mon, 11 October 2004 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well you're either loosing fuel or spark at 4K. Or the computer just spits and closes down all together. can you save the engine or does it stall everytime regardless?

Any way you can watch the spark when it dies? Pull out a plug, start it, rev it up and watch to see if it keeps sparking when the engine dies? (I don't know how good an idea this is...)

better idea...
Go buy one of those cheap-o spark plug tools. You can get em for like $3 at super cheap and places like that, you can place it on a lead and it'll tell you if it's firing. Hold it over the lead and then rev it up and get it to cut to check spark.

Tim.
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Mon, 11 October 2004 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its only under heavy acceleration that it dies.

Under light accleration it goes to 5000rpm before it occurs. New plugs, leads tested as good, new dizzy cap, timing set yesterday.

I will be swapping the item in the link above tomorrow afternoon.
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Tue, 12 October 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have no idea what trhat thing in the link is but I don't think it's important, I never had on on my GEN3... 1GGTE's don't have MAP sensors, just AFM meters.

Are you able to stop the engine from stalling completely? Ir once you hit the cut point it just dies completely till you restart? Do you have to turn the ignition of and on before it starts?

Try to find out if the ECU cacks itself completely or one of the peripheral components are just shitting down. Like the igniter might be giving up under that much load. Or the fuel pump may stop for some reason.

Hook a test light up to your fuel pump circuit so you can tell when it shuts down. Also check the spark like I said before. Just hold one of those spark testers on a lead, rev the engine over 5K to get it to die and watch to see if it's still firing whilst the engine dies.

Tim
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Tue, 12 October 2004 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I swapped the thing in the link above, little to no difference.

When it surges it doesn't actually stall or die, you can maintain it jerking along at the same speed. Not very nice to drive though!

I will get the spark tested tomorrow. I put the multimeter on the leads and they seemed fine. Ihad a spare coil lead that read a little higher so i swapped that one over.

I will try the fuel pump short again tonight .... wishful thinking though.
Where is the igniter on these??? under the coil?

I appreciate your help on this guys. Its not my stongest area!!!
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Tue, 12 October 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"chris, the 1g has a map sensor as well under the plenium, used only for boost, " as posted by CraigzEE

I believe that it is the unit shown in the link above, with the vaccuum cannister attached to it.
Not that it really matters because the newer one made no difference.

When i floor it in first the revs cut at about 3500rpm , in second its at 4000-4200rpm etc.
I can only keep swapping over bits till i find out what the gremlin is.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Tue, 12 October 2004 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that canister under the manifold looks just like the tvis setup on a 4age

im not sure if 1gs have tvis setup

can anyone confirm it

but im sure ots not a map sensor

in the link u have above

its a vacuum tank
and a solenoid

mainly used on tvis setups

the only way to tell what the prob is

is to fit the std injectors back in and fuk the safc off
then it will tell u that its yr mixtures

since u changed yr injectors i would just put up with it

yr mixtures only have to be 10% out and it will fuk things up

drive it round the block rev it hard
then switch it off and roll to a stop infront of yr place
pull the plugs out and see if they are black

that is best way to read what yr mixtures are unless u spend money on a dyno

another test you can do is

since u fittewd larger injectors

try backing off the spring in yr airflow meter

make sur eu mark it first so u can go bakc to std

then back off srew abit then back off the spring tension one click at a time
see if it starts to get better

this is another way to adjust fuel mixtures

but do this at yr own risk

[Updated on: Tue, 12 October 2004 14:54]

acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Tue, 12 October 2004 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, thanks for those tips. I will attend to an exhaust leak near the 02 sensor. Then get it on the dyno to ascertain exactly whats going on.
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Tue, 12 October 2004 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Before you fitted 7MGTE injectors did you make sure the impedance of these injectors was the same as the ones in your 1G? If you didn't you could either be overloading the injector drivers or the ecu may not be able to supply enough current to fire them correctly. I don't know exactly what the ecu would do in this instance but it's a fair bet it may shut down. The fault codes are only any good if the fault is programmed into the ecu. If you are doing something that is not recognized as a fault then the code will be clear.

Also, swapping the 7MGE AFM will have no effect as they are the same as the 1G. And, 1GGTE's do not run a map sensor for any ecu function. Some factory supras run a map sensor for boost pressure display only.

My advice is to put everything back the way you had it and see if the problem persists. Irrespective of what you may of heard though, the ecu will NOT compensate for the extra fuel under load and you will be overfuelling. Change injectors only when you have the need to do it.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 October 2004 22:30]

acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Wed, 13 October 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes the injectors are the same impedance.

I will put the original ones back in and see how i go.
Sounds like a Sunday job!

Thanks again guys!!
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Wed, 13 October 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it's cutting out due to overfuealing then you should be able to see the plumes of black smoke at idle....

Did you try the spark and fuel pump things I suggested? You gotta know what is actually cutting out. It isn't much good just blindly changing everything in a hope it works again.

If this shit isn't you main area of expertise, then just take it to a dyno. for 100 bucks or so they'll map your spark, A/F ratio and you'll get a HP readout as well Smile

Tim.
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Wed, 13 October 2004 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair call, i will try and get it to a dyno tomorrow. Would be nice to know the AFR.
No i haven't got that spark thingy yet. Keep running out of time.

On the bright side i am getting lots of little things sorted that otherwise wouldn't have happened!!

I doubt the overfuelling as well because the car runs so smoothly prior to the cut.
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Thu, 14 October 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WELL F*CK ME!

It goes NOW!!!

Removed the SAFC.

Took the injectors out and put the dirty old originals back in.

SO now for all for the i TOLD YOU SO's.

I have told others they are mad when they put in big injectors, and then i did it myself.

Oh well a big thanks to all you guys for your input. Now onto the next job, replacing the clutch cylinder.

Cheers
Andrew
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1g cutting out at 4000rpm Thu, 14 October 2004 11:11 Go to previous message
sorry I didn't get to reply but I would have suggested the same thing Smile

Just because I know how rich my old gz20 soarer ran with the stock injectors which I think are either 225cc or 245cc so obviously it is a pretty damn big jump to 440cc and even -30% on a SAFC couldn't handle that change I don't think.

Anyway, good to see it is going again! And don't put those injectors back in until you get the ECU! Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:loss of boost after installation of intercooler
Next Topic:TA22 Baby seat mounting
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 12:13:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068700313568115 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.