Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Is your car a guzzler ??!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon1.gif  Is your car a guzzler ??!! Sun, 19 May 2002 09:09 Go to next message
Had a look at my emissions test...

9.3 litres / 100km No No No

How does your car rate ?

To all you ra60,65 owners out there how many litres is the celica tank ?... the pump pissed out on me after i filled it 32 odd litres only ? Maybe my fuel gauge is wrong...

If you know of any websites that quote (any) cars fuel economy, please post ! Nod Thanks

[Updated on: Sun, 19 May 2002 09:23]

Send a private message to this user    
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Not to bad!! Sun, 19 May 2002 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1G's seem to get really tops on fuel!! Are they full sequential injection??

2J's are but toyota skimped on the 1j. They run triple batched. My fuel consumption is around the 10lt per 100 klms on the highway.

Should get better when I get Autronic and run full sequential. Best of both worlds!!!
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Sun, 19 May 2002 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I get approximatly 9L /100km's. 2.2 auto.

Doesn't seem to make a difference if I drive it hard or drive it normally. I usually fill it up every 2 weeks. I found there was bugger all difference for if I took it easy for a period, or pushed it hard. Why is it so?

EDIT: From the day I owned it (2 years ago), all I fill it with is optimax.

[Updated on: Sun, 19 May 2002 09:30]

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Sun, 19 May 2002 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I just had a look at some APS website.. 13.5L/100km for a Rexey .. but thats 4wd... so prolly a bit more there !

Hmm any idea what an... accent would do ?

i am guessing around 10L/100km is acceptable ?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Sun, 19 May 2002 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10.7L/100 around town.
7.1L/100 on the freeway.

The 21R-C used to guzzle 13-14L/100km in City driving and produced a third the power... No No No
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Sun, 19 May 2002 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

U 4Got to tell me how many litres the celicas tank is maxwell !!

Rolling
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Sun, 19 May 2002 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haven't had a chance to work mine out as I'm always filling it up does this mean it is a guzzler???? Cry
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Sun, 19 May 2002 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pretty chuffed with my new 4AGE - I get a genuine 42mpg on the highway and in the mid to high 30's around town.
For the young-un's here, that's about 6.7 l/100km on the highway.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Sun, 19 May 2002 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My fuel economy driving normally (stock 4AGE) is generally about 8.5 - 9.5L/100km. 9.5 would be the upper end of the normal scale. (i hate to think what it would be if i thrashed the car non-stop for a full tank.. prolly more in the vicinity of 12L/100km)

Experimented a little while ago with my driving style (accelerating slowly & gently, shifting at no more than 4,000 - 4,500 rpm) and was actually able to achieve economy of 6 - 6.5L/100Km (with a bit of freeway driving thrown in)... Bloody impressive if you ask me!

Too bad i can't make myself drive like that all the time! Wink
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Sun, 19 May 2002 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh, I probably beat most people here then...

Best I ever got was 13.4L/100km with a tank of 1/2 Hwy, 1/2 City.
I always get 400km to 65 litres (give or take 20km) of Optimax. Tank size is 80L.

It also doesn't matter if I drive like Max, or drive normally, I still get the same economy. It's bizarre.

If anyone has any suggestions to lower this horrendous fuel use of mine, please speak up !
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Celica fuel tank Sun, 19 May 2002 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les, the Celica tank is supposed to be 60L. But I have a sneaking suspicion that the EFI tank doesn't hold that much...

I've managed to put 61.5L into the tank during one fillup when I had the 21R-C.

Most I've managed to squeeze into the current tank is about 48L or so... From memory...
My fuel sender unit is stuffed though, so I don't really know how close to empty I am...
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica fuel tank Sun, 19 May 2002 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

same.. i think my fuel gauge is farked hehe
not to worry, just drive till the car is empty then, i guess Grin
TRACTION_ISSUES
Regular

May 2002

Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Mon, 20 May 2002 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im constantly geting 450-500km on 47-50L of fuel Nod. Go the frugal 1G!!!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Mon, 20 May 2002 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on LPG i get about 14ltr/100km hiway and if i thrash the ol 5m anything upto 30ltr/100km but at 30cpl for 100-115 octane fuel who cares Smile

Allan
kevz0r
Regular

May 2002

Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Mon, 20 May 2002 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 5M-GTE mk2 gets about 11.5L / 100km.... this is VERY good for me for 2 reasons- first is I hammer the car a lot and it has tonnes of power and torque. Also my 5M-TE could only get down to 12.5 L, and thats if I took it nicely... it could go up to about 15-18 or so.

5M 0wns
whiteGZE
Regular

May 2002

Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Mon, 20 May 2002 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Averaging a bit under 8.5l/100km so about 34 MPG Bill?

I mostly drive like a granny Embarassed , nuff said.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Mon, 20 May 2002 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRACTION_ISSUES wrote on Mon, 20 May 2002 10:07 AM

Im constantly geting 450-500km on 47-50L of fuel Nod. Go the frugal 1G!!!

That's not too bad I guess. I get around 500km for half a tank. I think my tank is 70L. I couldn't be stuffed getting the manual out right now.

Quote:

Heh, I probably beat most people here then...

Best I ever got was 13.4L/100km with a tank of 1/2 Hwy, 1/2 City.
I always get 400km to 65 litres (give or take 20km) of Optimax. Tank size is 80L.

It also doesn't matter if I drive like Max, or drive normally, I still get the same economy. It's bizarre.

If anyone has any suggestions to lower this horrendous fuel use of mine, please speak up !

Same as me. I drive hard, or drive granny, doesn't seem to make a diff. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

As for fuel economy, ummm... dunno. I don't know the condition of your car, or even what car you drive, (probably a soarer Smile ), so:

*Check tyres are inflated to correct pressure.
*Service the car. Tune it up, new plugs maybe. Put in some mobile 1 if you don't already.
*Maybe get an EFI if you have a carby. Only if it's possible/affordable.
*Reprogram the turbo/SC to not boost as much if you have one.
*Turn off the aircon/other electrical devices not needed. Extra load on the alternator will drain power from the engine.
*If you have two fans on the radiator, see if you can get by with just one.
*Get a slightly larger exhaust system from stock and extractors. But you probably have that already.
*Drive easier. Doesn't seem to hold true to either of us though.
*If it's auto, use overdrive, and turn off the pwr button.
*Take out all un-needed weight. Clean out the glove box/boot/backseat/floors.
*Last resort, trade it in on something else.

The above is pretty generic in some places, and most likely can be ignored.
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Mon, 20 May 2002 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks to the cams on my motor, I rarely see any decent fuel economy. Driving it hard all the time doesn't help either.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Mon, 20 May 2002 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apollo,

Amazingly enough, I already do all of the things that you listed to try and better the economy. The car is void of all crap inside glovebox, backseat etc. Exhaust has been done, airfilter too, new plugs, and is still running stock boost.
I'll just have to live with it... the car is too nice to part with. I'll grin and bear it for as long as I can Smile
MaNGeW
Forums Junkie

Formerly TRD_RoLLa

May 2002
icon5.gif  Mine is........ Mon, 20 May 2002 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok here's my story.
With my 4AGE. I can only manage 450-480kms per fuel tank driving conservatively Rolling Eyes or as whiteGZE puts it "like a granny". Razz I usually drive until the tank is really empty. EG. drive 50kms with Empty tank light on. My rationale is to try and accurately test my fuel economy. I find that Toyota quotes the AE82 to have a 50 litre fuel tank capacity. I found that there is 45 litres of usuable fuel. Hence that would make my fuel economy about 10Lt per 100kms. Which is pretty bad compared to others.
If i cain it. I only manage between 360-400kms per 45 litres (full tank).
Im not too sure why this is the case.
What you reckon could be the problem?
1. Fuel tank coil sensor needs cleaning/replaced?
2. Oxygen Sensor needs replacement
BTW i have replaced fuel filter. Checked plugs (ok). No black/white/blue exhuast emissions. Run only high octane fuel (optimax)
Around 170,000kms on the clock.
BEATS ME!!!!!!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Mon, 20 May 2002 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My RA60's 21R-C chugs through the fuel at a rate of roughly 11.5l/100km on normal uni and city driving, 13-14 when i'm up it all the time, and just under 9 on long trips.

The average figure is barely lower than my old Starion which returned 12l/100km and I caned that thing every time I drove it...ah well.

Means I wont whinge about fuel economy when I put in a better engine... Smile
whiteGZE
Regular

May 2002

Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Mon, 20 May 2002 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mangew - Are you actually putting in 45l worth of fuel or just judging by the tank capacity? Usually when I fill up the amount of fuel I can get in there is less than 40l even though its meant to be a 50l tank.

The car is always filled up to the top. I then write down the odometer reading and the amount of litres put in. Then subtract the odometer reading from the previous one to find out how many k's travelled since last fill up. Then divide the litres of fuel by k's travelled * 100 to get the fuel consumption.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 May 2002 14:59]

MaNGeW
Forums Junkie

Formerly TRD_RoLLa

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Mon, 20 May 2002 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whiteGZE: yeh thats what i did. I actually put in 45 litres of petrol (mind you i dont always do this since i really dried out the tank). Get 450-480kms conservative driving.
Hence, 450kms/45litres = 10kms per 1 litre. or 10L per 100kms.
Lead foot driving gives me around 360-410kms per 45 litres.
Hence, 8kms per 1 litre or, 12.5L per 100kms.
Big difference compared to Lucid's 6.5L per 100kms
ive, never seen 500kms out of a tank yet.
Get around 200-230kms from full to half-tank.
Then from half to empty goes heaps quicker. So it aint even.
Dramatically drops from half to 1/3 then to a quarter. ETC
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Mon, 20 May 2002 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, I'm surprised and shocked at the same time to see people here saying they run their tanks until empty/almost empty.

I just hope they replace their fuel filters regularly.

Ah well Soarer. If your car is the one that is in your avatar, I'd put up with it too. Smile Very nice car those are. I'll swap ya mine for yours if you want better economy. Very Happy
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Thu, 23 May 2002 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apollo,

Yes, that is indeed my actual car Smile

My last car was a 3VZ-FE Vienta, so it used bugger all fuel compared to the twin turbo guzzler. Such is life!
bunny
Regular

May 2002

Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Thu, 23 May 2002 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my car is a guzzler
i am lucky if i get 12 litres to 100 kms out of my fat old 5M-E
hopefully thetll improve with the 1GGTE
plus my one is auto so i get even crapper fuel ec.
ae82gt
Occasional Poster

May 2002
icon10.gif  Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Thu, 23 May 2002 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I get about 30 mpg out of my 4age ae82 around town, but it doesn't seem to change if i drive like my granny or if i drive it like a madman it stays pretty much the same. Best i've seen out of it is 39 mpg on a good run of 300 miles average speed about 90mph
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! -- My oath it is Fri, 24 May 2002 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay... as an experiment to try & reduce my fuel use, I went through my last tank of fuel without ever hitting boost (never greater than 0 PSI).

Here are the results:

402.5km travelled
64.3L used

15.97L/100km ... what a shocker. I get better figures when using boost. Can anyone shed light on why this happens?

This is pure city driving by the way... but a shocker on the wallet.

Can anyone beat this figure ? Wink
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Fri, 24 May 2002 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got low 9L/100km out of the Camry. I miss the range. 550km every week is great but the Astra is just getting high 8L/100km.
Celica_RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Fri, 24 May 2002 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm lets seeeee. 18 year old in a celica with an 18R-geu means i get about 12-13 litres per 100 ks which i think is preety good considering my driving style Smile but at the moment the motor is being rebuilt so i am going to be a lot kinder to it once it is finished. and re adjust the airflow metre to run a bit leaner as i richened it up a few notches which gave me more torque. once it is done im thinking i will get about 8-9 litres per 100 ks with an occasional squirt on the go fast pedal
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Fri, 24 May 2002 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ummm, not sure about the Soarer. A lower compression engine uses more fuel than a higher compression one because its not as efficient.

Mind you, this shouldn't be that much of a difference...thats crazy fuel consumption for not driving on boost...
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Fri, 24 May 2002 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tell me about it... I just can't see why it is that high.

Next experiment for the car is to drive like an idiot for a full tank and see what figures I get. I should have results in a few days.
SXer
Regular

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Sat, 25 May 2002 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My ae92 SX hatch gets a consistent 400-420 km per 33-34 liters of BP ultimate. The fuel tank on my car just won't take any more fuel than that!! All up that works out at just under 8L/100km. I'm pretty happy with that given that the car isn't babied everywhere. Very Happy
Engine Details - 100kW 4A-GE import engine with 50,000km. No mechanical mods barring the cold air intake. I never drive with excess weight in the car if I can help it. It slows you down too much... Nod
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Sun, 26 May 2002 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it helps to roll down hills in neutral right?
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Mon, 27 May 2002 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LiL_MiC wrote on Mon, 27 May 2002 1:49 AM

it helps to roll down hills in neutral right?

Yea, just pump the clutch in. Or turn on overdrive in an auto.
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Mon, 27 May 2002 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doesn't that stuff the auto box by going from N to D from any decent speed???
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Mon, 27 May 2002 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE92 get 320kms to a tank
its a 4afc is that good ???
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Mon, 27 May 2002 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SmellyTofu, I would never do it in my car.
The only time my auto ever sees neutral is when the car is stationary and I'm changing between drive/reverse.
I wouldn't suggest other auto drivers to shift into neutral while moving.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Mon, 27 May 2002 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SmellyTofu wrote on Mon, 27 May 2002 5:18 PM

Doesn't that stuff the auto box by going from N to D from any decent speed???

Auto box:

Leave it in drive, turn on overdrive. Press little button.

If you don't have it, or it's always on and you can't change it, forget it then.

Manual box:

Pump in the clutch.
viagra_cressida
Regular

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Mon, 27 May 2002 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a VL Commodore (Non turbo) and has a sports exhaust and I get 16-18 L /100 round town and 9L /100 on the highway.

Yeah that is a very high city level but you should see the hills in Lismore....and it's impossible not to drag everyone every time. On hill that I go up everyday a few times is about 1 km long and it's a killer....dead flat all the way up.
Azazal
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Wed, 29 May 2002 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I drive a 92 V8 Soarer and I find that around town it can guzzles the fuel a fair bit, I would say (i haven't really calculated it), but if I drive it hard I would get around 350 to 400 k's off about 65 litres, if take it easy about 500 k's of 65. On the highway though it goes great. I took it from Newcastle all the way to Twead Heads before the fuel light came on, so that is somewhere between 650 and 700 k's on around 65 to 70 litres.

Like you soarer, I love my car to much to part with it due to cost of fuel.

Az.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Wed, 29 May 2002 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Azazal...

Might just be the city traffic then. I'll go for a long drive up to Newcastle soon (haven't been in ages) which is a 3.5 hour drive from here and check out the economy. My figures should match yours (hopefully).

Azazal
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Wed, 29 May 2002 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would say that it is the city traffic, but out on the freeway you will definately notice the difference especially if you put it on cruise control and sit back. When i went to twead heads it was the long weekend so it was 100 to 110 all the way (double points etc..), so i am not to sure what the twin turbo sits on but the v8 is only on about 2300 revs, so fuel economy is excellent.

Az.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is your car a guzzler ??!! Some results Thu, 30 May 2002 14:24 Go to previous message
Here are my "drive like an idiot for the whole tank" results:

427.2km travelled
62.7L used

14.6L/100km

So, driving on boost as much as I could got me using nearly 1.5 litres per 100km LESS than driving like a pussy.

I definitely know which way I'm gonna keep driving (for fuel economy of course Wink ), it's much more fun too.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MP3/CD head unit
Next Topic:2sc vs 22re
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 03:38:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063779354095459 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.