Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 03:57 Go to next message
Does anyone get their tyres pumped with Nitrogen at the moment?

Bob Jane T Mart in Haberfield reckons they will offer it in about a couple of weeks time.
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My ol man had this done to his 4X4. Meant to make towing feel a little better and make the tyres last a bit longer Confused
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My dad just put some wheels on the camry, he is mates with the owner/operator of the local bob jane, he did the nitrogen for free, it is meant to make the tyre run cooler and last heaps longer.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 June 2003 04:14]

Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that is interesting. I am not too sure about it though as most motorsports don't use Nitrogen as far as I am aware and if anyone loves to control tire temps it's motoracing to the fore.

Have to do some research................ Rolling Eyes
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aircraft are required to inflate their tyres with nitrogen to minimise the chances of a tyre exploding when landing. Aircraft tyres get very hot very quickly, and the presence of oxygen can cause spontaneous combustion in extreme circumstances.

Quote:

This Directive was issued in response to the catastrophic loss of an airliner and reports of severe damage to others as a result of wheel well tyre explosions. The explosion of the tyres has been attributed to the spontaneous combustion of gases generated within the tyres at elevated tyre temperatures. Inflation of tyres with an inert gas reduces the oxygen content to a level below that at which ignition is sustainable.

This is taken from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority web site. You can view the full document here:
http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/aircraft/ad/adfiles/e quip/whe/WHE-004.pdf

Now, do you really think your car tyres are going to get this hot? It may be an issue for heavy trucks or race cars, but not road cars. IMO it's just an excuse for Bob Jane to charge you for filling your tyres!
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dylusion wrote on Thu, 05 June 2003 14:13

My dad just put some wheels on the camry, he is mates with the owner/operator of the local bob jane, he did the nitrogen for free, it is meant to make the tyre run cooler and last heaps longer.

Yeah it makes sense, but it is also said to make the tyre wear more evenly and last longer or somethin.. i am not a scientist, just going off what some one has told me.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL my cousin just got new tyres on his 180B and the tyre guy talked him into putting nitrogen in... I just laughed... ok it may have some application in a race setup but it has absolutely no tangible benefit to a road car that I can see. Sad thing is he paid $6 a tyre Smile I asked him what he was going to use to inflate they tyre if it should loose a little pressure.. he had to go ask the tyre place and they told him just use normal air at a servo... thats just classic Smile why bother putting it in, in the first place
toycelica77
Regular

February 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from memory, nitrogen has less thermal expansion that oxygen (air) thus giving a more even tyre pressure more of the time

at least i think so anyway...

also it could be snake oil being fed to every bob jane customer:S
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
According to the "experts" it helps stop moisture buildup in the wheels which is a major problem on any car and it also doesnt leak as easily as normal air!
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8 supercars have used it for ages. It would have been useful at wakefield as my tyres only lasted 5 hot laps.

I've also read stories for bikes that have had it for two years and still doesn't need a refill.
Laurie D
Regular

March 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes it's used for racing by those who can afford it and can be bothered with the extra equipment involved. There is less expansion in nitrogen over compressed air as it contains no moisture. Therefore there is less of a pressure increase from cold to hot. If you bother to take pyro readings across the tyre when hot and adjust pressures to maximise grip, you then take note of the pressures after they cool down. This then becomes your optimum cold pressure setting. Nitrogen does not make rubber last longer.

Laurie D
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laurie D wrote on Thu, 05 June 2003 17:16

Nitrogen does not make rubber last longer.

This is not 100% true. The moisture buidup inside the wheels can/does make the rubber go brittle which in turn causes cracks. This is the most common cause of blow-outs on highways according to RACQ.
Laurie D
Regular

March 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh no!!! I would have thought the most common cause of blowouts was neglect!! ...or poor tyre quality.
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laurie got it right.

Nitrogen doesn't leak as easily as air - complete load of crap!!

If you get air from a decent air compressor with a water trap you get minimal moisture contamination.

I've got a gut feeling that the RACQ have been licking Cane Toads!!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A few points:
- Air is 80% nitrogen, so any differences in thermal expansion between air and pure nitrogen will be minimal and not noticeable in any road application.
- As Blown86 mentioned, moisture is not an issue as most air compressors filter the moisture anyway.
- Pure nitrogen MAY increase the life of the rubber in your tyres (reduces oxidation), but let's face it, 99.9% of tyres get worn out LONG before degradation of the rubber becomes an issue.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont forget that when air is compressed the ratios of Oxygen and nitrogen etc change.....i dont know what the ratio is ...hence i have nothing to ad to this discussion

Razz

[Updated on: Thu, 05 June 2003 10:21]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
especially most of the people on this forum, who are not known for their grandma styles (a few people aside)
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Air 80% nitrogen?????

Ok so how does the 22-23% of air is Oxygen fit into that equasion??

When you compress air it changes the ratios of oxygen to nitrogen??

LOL!! Very Happy Dude you are just compressing the air, not adding or removing types of gases when you compress air from the atmosphere!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aahh... thought so

78.1% nitrogen
20.9% oxygen
0.9% argon
0.1% others
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 05 June 2003 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
of course, it depends where you take the sample, how much humidity, and whether you're measuring my moles or mass.

regardless, nitrogen is 75-80%, and oxygen is 19-23%
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Fri, 06 June 2003 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bottom line is Nitrogen filled wheels on your road car is just.......well a load of hot air...... Rolling Eyes
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Sat, 07 June 2003 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Thu, 05 June 2003 14:08

My ol man had this done to his 4X4. Meant to make towing feel a little better and make the tyres last a bit longer Confused

Make tyres last longer?

So does checking them everytime you fill up you lazy rich bastards. Razz
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Sat, 07 June 2003 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because Nitrogen doesnt leak as much as air, he doesnt have to top up the tyres out in the middle of Australia.
He had trouble with his wheels getting to much moisture in them and stuffing the tyres.
Using Nitrogen has fixed this problem.
Laurie D
Regular

March 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Sat, 07 June 2003 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After that ....I give up!!!!
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Sat, 07 June 2003 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh dear!!!!

...and nitrogen makes the tyres rounder so you get better fuel economy.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Sat, 07 June 2003 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was hearing that filling your tyres with Nitroigen gave the car another 20RWKW of power...is that rumour or true Laughing
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Sat, 07 June 2003 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wonder what'd happen if you filled them with methane?
*starts eating burrito's*
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Sat, 07 June 2003 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or maybe fill them with helium and change your number plates to "ZEPLIN" Laughing
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Sun, 08 June 2003 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Why not fill ur spare tyre with laughing gas and run a line to ur fuel supply... no more ugly blue bottles

Smile
RA60_Celica
Regular

February 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Sun, 08 June 2003 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nitrogen doesn;t really do anything its mostly bullshit. just runs ur tyres a tad bit cooler, like 3, 4 degrees, whoopedoo
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Sun, 08 June 2003 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Mis-information and speculation is a great marketing tool, personally i havent taken the time to measure the 1000th of a second difference between here and the local newspaper store, because i usually take the temp. of my tires every time i pull over.

on another note, wouldnt the temp. of nitrogen increase after the heating process of tire wear, and therefore require a gas change or top up ? ie. constant expansion and contraction...

Who wants cold rubber ne how ? i thought creating sticky rubber would be more advantagous than frozen rubber...

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Sun, 08 June 2003 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The idea of Nitrogen is that it doesnt leak as much as compressed air. Which means you dont have to keep filling your tyres up at servos with 10% water.
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Sun, 08 June 2003 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Guess that could be a good thing when u can buy enuff nitrogen in a spray can for 2 dollar ... no more lining up for air compresser at the servo

note: dont quote me on that price..
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Sun, 08 June 2003 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have no idea on prices but my old man was going through lots of tyres traveling around OZ. Once he got the Nitrogen in there he didnt have to keep topping them up at the outback servos.
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Mon, 09 June 2003 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The guys at work use Nitro all the time, might swipe a big bottle for the garage Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Mon, 09 June 2003 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any reasons they use it Paul?
scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Tue, 10 June 2003 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nitrogen filled tyres......
remember the nitrogen cream bulb thingys. they were/still are lots a fun.
as fortyres. seems like a waist.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Tue, 10 June 2003 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those cream bulb things actually contain nitrous oxide, not nitrogen. Very different stuff!
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Tue, 10 June 2003 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amazing how everyone knows such tricks, and yet the government is worried about terrorists from overseas ?

Is it safe to say that anything containg nitro* is fun to play with ??

[Updated on: Tue, 10 June 2003 13:43]

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Tue, 10 June 2003 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt nitrogen an inert gas?
therefore it doesnt change pressure with temperature changes?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Tue, 10 June 2003 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitrogen is an inert gas, however ALL gases change pressure in response to temperature. It's called the Ideal Gas Law:

PV = nRT
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Tue, 10 June 2003 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I think that would have to be the main factor that attracts the reason for application in tyres...

Less likelyhood of tyres reducing in pressure, and if i remember quickly, it does not heat at the same rate as that of oxygen...

Still, if I was going to the length of worrying about which gas was in my tyres I'd want something that would take a few nails / glass bottles / small children... and not deflate Smile (like the hummers)
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Tue, 10 June 2003 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hoo rah Norbie... you can go straight to the top of the class !

I can barely remember what I had for breakfast let alone the formulae of high school...
Nitrogen Fill
Newcomer

October 2004
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Tue, 12 October 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been using Nitrogen for 2 years and can honestly say that it makes a huge difference with the performance and longevity of the tires.
I keep logs on my car for tax purposes and believe that the tires are lasting about 40% longer.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Tue, 12 October 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we shall now call nitrogrn fill "Jesus", for his ability to raise the dead
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Tue, 12 October 2004 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I heard it was denser and was mainly used in extra low profile tyres.
But i might be wrong the guy who told me was trying to sell me his car.
Nitrogen Fill
Newcomer

October 2004
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Tue, 12 October 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love that lol
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Tue, 12 October 2004 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NItrogenisnt a noble gas it is just less reactive than oxygen. Motor magazine uses it when they do there tyre test as it maintains pressure levels far more stabally than oxygen. Yes air is 78% nitrogen but the nitrogen is 100% nitrogen or near enough that they are putting into your cars. When Neil Crompton was talking about tyre pressures during the V8 coverage he mentioned that the V8's use nitrogen in the tryres.
Nitrogen is not as heat sensitive as oxygen and thus does not expand as much when tyre temp increasing thus keeping tyre pressures down at their optimum level.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Tue, 12 October 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you're basically regurgitating all the old wives tales about why nitrogen in your tyres is "good".

Your homework is to find out the thermal expansion rates of air compared to pure nitrogen (try Google if you don't have any reference material handy). You might be in for a surprise! Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Wed, 13 October 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitrogen Fill wrote on Tue, 12 October 2004 22:36

I have been using Nitrogen for 2 years and can honestly say that it makes a huge difference with the performance and longevity of the tires.
I keep logs on my car for tax purposes and believe that the tires are lasting about 40% longer.

hmm, newcomer = Nitrogen Fill..

think he has any vested interests Wink

Laughing
-NiCkeL-
Regular

February 2004

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Wed, 13 October 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It doesn't seem worth the $24 it costs really...if it were cheaper, it might be worth it!
Nitrogen Fill
Newcomer

October 2004
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Wed, 13 October 2004 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know it is working for me and if you are sceptical why not give it a go as it would only cost you $24 after you get some new tyres and record the difference
I'm just relaying my practical result. I'm interested in saving some money and this has worked for me Smile

Nitrogen Fill
Newcomer

October 2004
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Wed, 13 October 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I logged on here cause I saw some sceptics and wanted to let you know that I'm getting really good results hence Nitrogen fill
I have no other vested interest ei a bob jane tmart franchise lol

I own my own carpet cleaning business and have 3 trucks on the road with each tyre costing $170 each.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Wed, 13 October 2004 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you're saying that filling your tyres with nitrogen makes them last longer? In other words, the nitrogen inside the tyre magically decreases the wear rate of the rubber outside the tyre? Wow, that's some pretty amazing stuff! Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Wed, 13 October 2004 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It wont affect the rubber in any way but tyre pressure has a major effect on the wear rate of tyres thus if the pressere is more stable and maintained at the optimum level it would increase tyre life.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Wed, 13 October 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If i put nitrogen in my tyres will they last more than the usual 5000kms? Rolling Eyes
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Wed, 13 October 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depend son how many burnouts you do
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Wed, 13 October 2004 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 14:35

So you're saying that filling your tyres with nitrogen makes them last longer? In other words, the nitrogen inside the tyre magically decreases the wear rate of the rubber outside the tyre? Wow, that's some pretty amazing stuff! Laughing

Nitrogen has magical properties Norbert. Rolling Eyes

I'd dare say that correct maintenance of you tyres and steering will result in greater tyre longevity than filling your tyres with nitrogen.

I would hazard an educated guess and suggest that there would be no significant difference in tyre wear between air and nitrogen filled tyres. Of course the nitrogen fillers wouldn't dare put their money where their mouth is and conduct a randomized controlled double blind study just in case my little hypothesis were proven true.

Why not fill tyres with helium? As well as being a truly inert gas, it would have the added advantage of reducing unsprung mass. Then you could sing its praises regarding better handling and roadholding. Does anyone have the comparative thermal expansion coefficients for N2, O2 and He?
Nitrogen Fill
Newcomer

October 2004
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Wed, 13 October 2004 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Retaining pressure Nitrogen-inflated tyres retain pressures up to 3 times longer than tyres filled with compressed air. Therefore you don't have to check the tyre pressures as often.
Maintaining temperature Heat is one of the major factors in a tyre's life. The cooler a tyre can operate over long distances and excessive suburban work [in accordance with recommended cold inflation pressures], the longer the tyre will last. Nitrogen being a gas doesn't expand or contract resulting in better cornering and road handling, and therefore increasing the tyre life and reducing the risk of blowouts.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Wed, 13 October 2004 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
yes but your car would start to float.
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:JDM Inside dvd's
Next Topic:208.1hp atw@13psi and driving home with no clutch..
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:27:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0095310211181641 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.