Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Barney
Regular

July 2002

icon5.gif  7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G??? Tue, 12 October 2004 06:47 Go to next message
hey

my 7mgte has been heating up recently. over the past month it has been going over half way on the temp guage, normally it stays at half.

i changed the coolant, flushed the radiator, changed the thermostat and it just gets worse. it keeps boiling my coolant and spitting it out the overflow.

today the temp guage went right to HOT and started flashin (digital dash).

from all the lovely 7M stories i have heard, i'm guessing its my head gasket or even head. is there any articles on replacing the gasket and/or setting the timing?

any tips any one can give me?
desperatly need help, its my only car
  Send a private message to this user    
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G??? Tue, 12 October 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Without sounding crass, do a search and you'll be swamped with info !!!

You can also try Google.

Basically the route depends on what grunt you want. If you are serious and have time and money, get a MHG, ARP Studs and machine the block.

If you are strapped for time and cash, get a std gasket, ARP studs and clean the block really well.

Also ensure the head is nice and flat as well.

Cheers

Michael B
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G??? Tue, 12 October 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
See above Razz

Its something that every 7M owner dreads happening, but always seems to happen nonetheless

Good luck!
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G??? Tue, 12 October 2004 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 2c - ARP studs/bolts are optional. NEW toota bolts torqued appropriately should do just fine

ed
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G??? Tue, 12 October 2004 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have 2 stock HG's if you want one quickly.....

Re ARP's - depends on what you want to do, but Ed is right.
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: 7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G??? Tue, 12 October 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The stock headbolts will do, but you have to retorque them after the engine has been run. I usually do mine after 800 *gentle* kms. The stock gaskets are also fine, if installed correctly. I have pulled down an engine with pistons rings and lands smashed from detonation and found a completly intact stock headgasket. The (stock) bolts on this engine were installed with moly lube and torqued is stages to 82 lbft, then retorqued after running the engine. Remember to inspect the threads on the bolts and in the block, their condition, and the lubricant used will determine how much bolt tension you create for a given torque.

Search around, there is alot more info, especially on www.supraforums.com, but don't believe everything you read!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G??? Tue, 12 October 2004 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 12 October 2004 17:14

my 2c - ARP studs/bolts are optional. NEW toota bolts torqued appropriately should do just fine

ed

i used the original bolts that came out of the head...
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G??? Tue, 12 October 2004 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Tue, 12 October 2004 21:56

ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 12 October 2004 17:14

ed

i used the original bolts that came out of the head...

some ppl shy away form this, for the reason that the bolts actually stretch!

Cheers
Wilbo
Fabbz
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: 7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G??? Wed, 13 October 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I also used stock head gasket and re used bolts with moly lube, but torqued to 72ftlbs, and have been running 13psi daily for the last few months ..... and pushing 185rwkw on the dyno from my 7MGTE

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2004 00:37]

Barney
Regular

July 2002

Re: 7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G??? Wed, 13 October 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i'm about half way thru taking the head off, just stuck on removin the exhaust/turbo. what a shocker of a job!

i found a pretty good site if it helps any one else:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/in/IN_0 1.html

i also found the timing belt is frayed pretty bad so i need to replace it.

also, can i re-use turbo, exhaust, inlet gaskets???

i have got prices on some parts, could some one please let me know if they are competitive and if not, where i should go to get better prices (in SA if possible)
Head gasket kit - $280. all gaskets and aftermarket head gasket, but not metal.

Timing belt kit - $60 + $77 for tensioner

ARP head bolts - $200

hey bbaacchhyy how much for one of ya head gaskets??
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G??? Wed, 13 October 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont re-use any gaskets! buy a full VRS kit.

Make sure you take the head to a shop to see if it is 100% straight and is ok to use again straight away. Trust me 100%, if you put a bent head back on it (overheated heads like warping) it will blow again in no time.

Mine was so rooted i needed a new one - $950 later i could've brushed my hair in the reflection, and eaten off it...was immaculate...And im yet to have any problem whatsoever with it..
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G??? Wed, 13 October 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barney wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 17:58

Timing belt kit - $60 + $77 for tensioner

Who is the timing belt kit through ?

Replied to PM, but forgot to price the gasket. Will resend PM
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G??? Wed, 13 October 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my toyota belt only cost like $70.....

you dont *need* a new tensioner at all...
Barney
Regular

July 2002

Re: 7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G??? Wed, 13 October 2004 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got the belt and gasket kit prices from Sprint auto parts in SA. the ARP bolt kit was from O.G speed shop. all these prices are meant to be 'trade'.

so i dont need a tensioner kit? easy, more cash for me

yes i was going to check the head and block with the straight edge, and Moyles engine shop werre gonna face it for me for $80.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G??? Wed, 13 October 2004 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've noticed my heat indicator went up 1 bar as well yesterday (38 degrees - hot day!) on the digi dash. That was while sitting at lights with the aircon on. Turned aircon off, and it returned to normal operating temp once I started moving again.

Should I be worried? I don't think I'm boiling coolant, and cooling system has been recently flushed. Temp only seems to increase when aircon is running on a hot day, and only when I'm stationary. I've noticed it happen before.

Looking inside radiator cap, there are a few very small creamy coloured deposits (oil, right?). But hardly any at all. I know this is normally a sign of BHG - but there didn't look to be much there at all. Should there be absolutely NO deposits there, or is a little bit acceptable?

Barney - keep me posted on the rebuild - hope it fixes your overheating!

-J-

[Updated on: Thu, 14 October 2004 04:12]

Barney
Regular

July 2002

Re: 7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G??? Sat, 16 October 2004 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey again

just got a call from the machine shop that has my head right now. its well rooted. he reckons the head is nice and hard so it will be sweet as soon as he welds up the MASSIVE GROOVE in it. he says he will need to do a valve grind, weld the head, face it, set the tappets. he wants me to pull the block out and get it decked. apparently the groove is very deep and he says there is no way it couldn't have damaged the block.

So i'm up for atleast 600-700 bones just to fix the head, and if the block is heaps damaged then another 200 to deck it and the pistons.

Any one got a 1jz for sale......
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 7M-GTE overheating. Any help on replacing the H.G??? Sun, 17 October 2004 22:12 Go to previous message
Barney wrote on Sat, 16 October 2004 13:09

hey again

just got a call from the machine shop that has my head right now. its well rooted. he reckons the head is nice and hard so it will be sweet as soon as he welds up the MASSIVE GROOVE in it. he says he will need to do a valve grind, weld the head, face it, set the tappets. he wants me to pull the block out and get it decked. apparently the groove is very deep and he says there is no way it couldn't have damaged the block.

So i'm up for atleast 600-700 bones just to fix the head, and if the block is heaps damaged then another 200 to deck it and the pistons.

Any one got a 1jz for sale......

Bugger Barney. Got the SMS, no probs.

How can you groove a head ? Crack yes, but groove ? I guess you are going to do rings and bearings etc ?

If you are, let me know, as if you can get some good prices, I might grab some stuff at the same time

Cheers

Michael B
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Do n/a 4age adjustable cam gears fit a 4agze?
Next Topic:aw11 battery relocation
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 14:06:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0081291198730469 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.