Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AE82-Morg
Regular

May 2004

267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Tue, 12 October 2004 20:59 Go to next message
Hi
I am in the process of getting cams.
Wade cams have said that 267 Deg cams will go good in my car and that’s all well and good.
My worry is that the standed ECU in my AE82 Twin cam 16v can only handle 260 Deg cams as via this man has said. Bill Sherwood

Have any of you guys had any problems running 267 deg cams with the stock ECU any thoughts or surgestions please let me know thanks guys.
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Tue, 12 October 2004 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be very interested in what you find Smile
AE82-Morg
Regular

May 2004

Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Tue, 12 October 2004 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know i would like to know too but no one seems to wanna comment
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 13 October 2004 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats the lift on the cams?
I installed HKS 256* intake and exhaust cams a few weeks ago, they have lift of 8.5mm I think.

I was going to go 264* cams, but as I couldnt get any sure answer from anyone about how they would run on stock ECU, I just went the milder option.

Anyway, yes they run quite nice(I also have ported head, extractors, 2.25" exhaust), but idle is pretty crap.
I am yet to touch the cam timing, but ign timing is advanced a fair bit.

Put it this way, you do know the car has cams in it, the idle is either too high when warm or too low when cold, and sometimes it likes to stall when its had a workout or cold depending on how its set.

For this reason I would be hestintant fitting 267*.

But idling aside, I am happy with the 256's, expecially the new exhaust note Smile

AE82-Morg
Regular

May 2004

Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 13 October 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why is your idling so bad i have read of lots of ppl putting bigger cams in than what you have and had no trouble with idling
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 13 October 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess it depeneds on what you describe as having trouble idling

Im very picky...

This isnt my area of expertise, im just telling you my personal experiance.
AE82-Morg
Regular

May 2004

Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 13 October 2004 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These are the specs i got from wade cams

Profile Actuation Make/Model R/Ratio
872A Bucket/Svalve Toyota Twin Cam 4AGE 1600 In1 Ex 1
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------
Cam Lift Duration Duration Valve Valve Cam Lift Phase
Adv @050 Clr Lift tdc <)
Intake 317 267 220 0.009 0.308 044 110
Exhaust 317 267 220 0.009 0.308 039
LEVIN_86
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 13 October 2004 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive use 288 8.5 lift cams with a standard ae92 88kw computer and the car wont idle smoothly below 1200 rpm. Below this rpm its just too lumpy. I believe that 272 7.5lift cams will idle somewhere at 1100 rpm smoothly. You will probably find that it'll run lean if you havent upgraded your injectors, and you wont be able to get it spot on if the ecus not remapped.

Hope this helps in some way
AE82-Morg
Regular

May 2004

Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 13 October 2004 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got on my spec sheet that comes with the cam it says cam lift 317 and valve lift 0.308 so what is this in mm
rxjohn
Regular

December 2003
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 13 October 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
317 cam lift = 8mm
AE82-Morg
Regular

May 2004

Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 13 October 2004 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rxjohn wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 15:30

317 cam lift = 8mm

hay mate how do did you work that out if you dont mind me asking
rxjohn
Regular

December 2003
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 13 October 2004 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
multiply by 25.4, divide by 1000,

its thou of inch converted to mm
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 13 October 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard that companys measure the cam duration differently. So you cant compare different brand cams of similar duration?

Seeing as my 256's have 8.5mm lift, does anyone know if these would have a longer duration than say a 256 from Wade?

And what would effect idle more, the duration or lift?

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 13 October 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE82-Morg wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 06:59

Hi
I am in the process of getting cams.
Wade cams have said that 267 Deg cams will go good in my car and that&#8217;s all well and good.
My worry is that the standed ECU in my AE82 Twin cam 16v can only handle 260 Deg cams as via this man has said. Bill Sherwood

Have any of you guys had any problems running 267 deg cams with the stock ECU any thoughts or surgestions please let me know thanks guys.

dude im waiting for their stock to come in as well. Frm what i heard, 267 degree should idle fine with a little increase in the idle. The dude at wade cams also said that the next degree they have (280 i think) would still work fine on standard ecu, injector etc...but i'm not too sure about that.

didnt bill sherwood say 270 degree instead of 260 for standard ecu?
AE82-Morg
Regular

May 2004

Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 13 October 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n

Thats what i have been told by them aswell keath from wade cams
said

267deg
These set of cams will run fine on the standard ECU and also he said that he would be very suprized if i have to replace any shimms at all as most of the ones he has fitted it was just bolt the cams in and nothing else.

and i have seen a few things and ppl correct me if i am wrong but i belive you can not upgrade your injectors unless you change your ecu now i might be wrong.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 13 October 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guys in the usa run 272° with no worries on std USDM spec ecu's

Quote:

and i have seen a few things and ppl correct me if i am wrong but i belive you can not upgrade your injectors unless you change your ecu now i might be wrong.

correct to a degree

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2004 10:59]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 13 October 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
USDM? thats a new one.

i think you may find that american 4ages use AFM load sensing as opposed to MAP, AFM type engines dont suffer from big cams as much as MAP engines, its the same with turbos on the two different engines.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 13 October 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinybluesteel wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 21:20

USDM? thats a new one.

i think you may find that american 4ages use AFM load sensing as opposed to MAP, AFM type engines dont suffer from big cams as much as MAP engines, its the same with turbos on the two different engines.

no, not at all. united states domestic market. its an industry term.

but yes, correct about the ecu's
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 13 October 2004 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just go for it ae82-morg

ecu needs tampering for bigger injectors coz ecu doesnt know that ur running bigger injectors!! pretty straight forward actually
Adam_Rolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

February 2004
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Sun, 17 October 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So is it a good idea to install 267degree wade cams into a bigport 4AGE or not?

Will it make a difference?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Sun, 17 October 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

he would be very suprized if i have to replace any shimms at all as most of the ones he has fitted it was just bolt the cams in and nothing else.

hahaha sounds like someone doesent know what they are measuring then Very Happy

If you use a billet cam ( not stellite reground ) then there is no way that you will use the ALL the original shims, there may be one or two within tolerance but there will more than likely be over a third of the shims out of spec. Even stellite regrinds will usually need some re-shimming.

As long as your not increasing the lift ( factory lift is about 7.4mm from memory, somebody please correct me?)then 260ish cams should run on the 100kw ecu, all larger than factory degree cams will affect idle and fuel mix to some degree unless you dyno the cams in to get the cleanest idle ( which may not neccesarily give you the best overall result in terms of your fuel map anyway ). The big port ECU should run as well.

Increasing injector size is really not the best way to go about fixing the lean out, and youd probhably get better results by using the temp sender mod to richen up the mix than trying to go to injectors that will deliver too much fuel over the whole range. Working out and then finding an injector size to suit the air/fuel mix over the whole factory map to a feasable rate will be niegh on impossible.. the best thing of course is to use an aftermarket programable ECU ( illegal in most states for a road car )

AFM systems will as mentioned be better at sorting out the fuelling issues, but most AFM 4AGE's were either import engines or out of MR2's here AFAIK

JDM or USDM computers although varying in mapping for things like emmisions and fuels wont really make a lot of difference to how the ecu reads air/fuel and therefore responds to larger cams.

AE82-Morg
Regular

May 2004

Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Sun, 17 October 2004 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heres The sheet WadeCams Gave me

http://www.users.on.net/~phill47/cam%20sheet.txt
Adam_Rolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

February 2004
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Mon, 18 October 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys.. ive read this thread through and basically want u to help me out

should i buy 267deg. cams to install into my std. ECU, 4AGE engine?

if not, wot is the best deg. to get for a std. 4AGE engine

[Updated on: Mon, 18 October 2004 06:07]

LEVIN_86
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Mon, 18 October 2004 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try 272duration 7.5mm lift. That would be about the maximum duration and lift combo that ive seen to work on a factory computer * with the factory map, injectors etc.. <16v head head version>

*(satisfactorily! before really losing too much drivability idle etc..)

cHeErS

levin_86
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Mon, 18 October 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LEVIN_86 wrote on Mon, 18 October 2004 16:17

Try 272duration 7.5mm lift. That would be about the maximum duration and lift combo that ive seen to work on a factory computer * with the factory map, injectors etc.. <16v head head version>

*(satisfactorily! before really losing too much drivability idle etc..)

cHeErS

levin_86

u sure bout that??
Adam_Rolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

February 2004
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Mon, 18 October 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crying or Very Sad Confused umm is 267deg. better?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Mon, 18 October 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your not planning to spend a lot of money later on to improve the performance of the engine then id stick with something like a 256/7.4

anything bigger than this will ultimately be painfull for the average driver who doesent want to deal with stalling engines, lean out and the various other issues involved in running bigger cams.

but hey its your engine, theres a crapload of info on the web, maybe spend a month or so doing some exhaustive research before making a decision.

EDIT: oh and heres a pic of some wade stellite regrinds Smile

http://ira11y.qnix.com.au/Wadedelaminated.jpeg

[Updated on: Mon, 18 October 2004 09:47]

ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Tue, 19 October 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And here is another

http://img96.exs.cx/img96/9072/camssmall.jpg

Ben.
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Tue, 19 October 2004 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldnt go with something like a 272, until I had actually seen them run in someones car and perhaps driven it, then make the decision.

On second look my HKS cams are 256 and 7.5mm lift. They run good, and there is more power than you really need for the average hills run. Why go any bigger unless your going to do more mods later on?
My guess would be your probably going to get less of a power gain compared to the driveability you lose.
parrot
Regular

July 2004
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Tue, 19 October 2004 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Am running the Wade 872A (267.5)cams in mine with a standard ECU etc. idles fine. Never dynoed so can't get to specific. At the time, roughly 4 years ago, Wade's reckoned that 270 was the max duration possible with standard ECU and that the profile was developed in conjunction with Toyota Aust for consideration in a factory hot up MR2.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Tue, 19 October 2004 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now they claim that 280 would be fine on standard ecu. pulley etc...
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Tue, 19 October 2004 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Wed, 20 October 2004 02:45

now they claim that 280 would be fine on standard ecu. pulley etc...

I suppose it comes down to your definition of the word "fine" and "streetable"

[Updated on: Tue, 19 October 2004 21:28]

Adsport
Regular

December 2003
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 20 October 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FYI a friend of mine had HKS 264x8.1 cams with gears on his std gze with std ecu with no idle problems or coil binding.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 20 October 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anybody here have personally had 272 on stock ecu??
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Thu, 21 October 2004 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaze86 has, he told me that they ran but it made power just too high up in the rev range, that it wasnt really worth it. He took them out and was after some 256 deg cams.
AE82-Morg
Regular

May 2004

Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Thu, 21 October 2004 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skaney wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 11:47

jaze86 has, he told me that they ran but it made power just too high up in the rev range, that it wasnt really worth it. He took them out and was after some 256 deg cams.

What cams did he have in
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Thu, 21 October 2004 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4age cams has arrived at wadecams!! collecting mine this friday if things go well!!
LEVIN GTV
Regular

October 2004
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Mon, 24 January 2005 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what to workshops normally charge for installing cams?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Tue, 25 January 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd almost be tempted to try slipping them in, along with one of those Jaycar DFA kits and a bit of a damper on the MAP hose, and seeing how good I could get it. No promises, but you could probably get it to run reasonably well.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Tue, 25 January 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anybody know for certain the maximum lift possible without binding the factory springs? This may be a consideration for which cam you go for too..

I've got a set of 280 degree wade billets on order, but for a turbo 4AG with aftermarket ECU. I'm interested to see just how lumpy the idle gets... Confused
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Tue, 25 January 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As am I Very Happy I'll let everyone know soon as I get mine started.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Tue, 25 January 2005 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TE72_Turbo wrote on Tue, 25 January 2005 22:35

Anybody know for certain the maximum lift possible without binding the factory springs? This may be a consideration for which cam you go for too..

I've got a set of 280 degree wade billets on order, but for a turbo 4AG with aftermarket ECU. I'm interested to see just how lumpy the idle gets... Confused

the maximum lift allowed is around the 267 degree cams. cant remember exact figure, but u can find it on club4ag website. i remember the 280 degree one had too much lift for stock springs but the dude at wade claims it would be fine
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 26 January 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok cool. Good thing I have some new springs too then. Thanks for clearing that up.

BTW: Remember to subtract your valve clearances from the cam lift specs to get actual VALVE lift: ie: the wade 267 cams are actually 7.8mm valve lift, not 8.0mm

Cheers
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Wed, 26 January 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

the maximum lift allowed is around the 267 degree cams. cant remember exact figure, but u can find it on club4ag website. i remember the 280 degree one had too much lift for stock springs but the dude at wade claims it would be fine

ok firstly, if you have no fucking idea what you are talking about then dont reply with miss-information. duration has little at all to do with the amount of lift you can use! Tell me, what lift does your so called 272 have?? is it 10mm or 7.5mm? if you cant answer that then you have no place posting something that someonelse has said without even understanding what you are saying yourself.

Quote:

In terms of lift the first problem will be the shims, it is generally regarded that anything above 8mm has the potential to spit shims at high rpm and therefore over that lift will firstly need a shim under bucket setup. In terms of the spring itself the easiest way is to measure the height of the sppring at full compression, add in a safety margin of say 5mm then you should be able to determine what your maximum lift will be.

Something you will have to consider is that the more lift you have the higher rating spring you will need and therefore if you need to increase the springs dia. you "may" loose some lift. generally whenever you do a bigger cam you should automatically upgrade your springs anyway, just another thing to factor in to the cost of upgrading your cams.

club4ag has some good information as does Bill Sherwoods site, a little search will give you motre information than you can probhably get you head around, some of the clubman sites have some good tech as well.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 January 2005 06:56]

Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: 267 Deg Cams for my 4AGE, Wade Cams, Regarding ECU Thu, 27 January 2005 03:18 Go to previous message
I ran TRD 272deg 7.5/9mm lift cams on my 100kw 4AGE w/ std ecu + intake and 2 1/2" exhaust.

I also ran adjustable cam pulleys. Idle was between 1200rpm and 1500rpm. It was lumpy, but didnt stall.

To give an idea of power difference. On a 30 degree day with plenty of hot air going to the pod filter in the engine bay it ran the same as it would on a cold 15 degree night with advanced timing and octane booster without the cams.

So the cams did make quite a noticable difference on the std ecu, however because of being a MAP sensed engine and having trouble sensing vacume fuel really did suffer a lot. About 10lt per 100km highway/city.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Antenna replacement instructions
Next Topic:18RG hose
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 12:19:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0099260807037354 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.