Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Mon, 11 October 2004 12:47 Go to next message
Just out of interest, has anyone turboed their Aussie Celica SX ST162? i wonder what the specs are like.
  Send a private message to this user    
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Tue, 12 October 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me and my mate are thinking about bolting one on too stock 3sge similar to:

http://www.turbocelica.8m.com/

but some say it can run stock internals at 7psi and some dont

hmmmm,
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Tue, 12 October 2004 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most people bolt in a GT4 engine or a turbo MR2 engine.
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Tue, 12 October 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An MR2 rear clip would be your best bet as it would be a straight swap into the 162 and it has the stronger 2 wheel drive gearbox included as opposed to the AWD box in the GT4
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Tue, 12 October 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ur right about the gearbox part, but the mr2 engine is harder to fit in the st162. u have to move the alternator, do something about the intercooler and piping and the wiring loom has to be extended.
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Tue, 12 October 2004 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not to mention convert the mr2 gearbox to front wheel drive
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Tue, 12 October 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im doin the conversion on my 162 at the moment
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Wed, 13 October 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exactly right....the intake plumbing and wiring loom are different, was not aware of the alternator though....interesting...

is it in a different position? looking at my 3SGTE (gt4) there isnt any room on the motor to have it anywhere else Very Happy
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Wed, 13 October 2004 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no the alternator is in the same place on the gt4 and mr2 turbo.

my advise, don't turbo you car, was one of the most regretable things I have done, I know a few others who fell the same after doing it.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
icon13.gif  Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Wed, 13 October 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Say hello to torque steer. Someone on here the other day was saying the front wheel drive setup couldn't handle too much more power than the stock 3sge puts outs. In my opinion turbo charging a front wheel drive car is pretty pointless it is just a hiding to nowhere. You ruin the cars handling as you can no longer accellerate hard through corners and you make the car a bitch to get off the line in the wet let alone dry.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Wed, 13 October 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man, the GT4 is annoying enough, I can't imagine how frustrating it would be if it didn't have drive at the rear as well hehehe
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Wed, 13 October 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 14:10

no the alternator is in the same place on the gt4 and mr2 turbo.

my advise, don't turbo you car, was one of the most regretable things I have done, I know a few others who fell the same after doing it.

wiso are you serious?why do you regret doing it SO much?i've had mine swapped for a while now and i dont regret it.i mean i've had a few bad thoughts about, but over all at the end of the day i'm pretty happy with it. the only regret i really have was spending that amount of money on an old car...i really enjoy my 162 thou and my motor was about to give up soon. Sad (290,000kms and burning oil like no tomorrow.)
so yeah, the money factor is the only thing i have regrets about. Also wiso u used the 4wd box and a gen1 3sgte. thats prolly why you regret it. ideally i would have used a gen2/3 3sgte and an mr2 box.i kind of regret not using an mr2 box, i most likely will end up putting one in later thou.

And about the alternator, your wrong. the alternator is in a different location on the mr2's. its above the powersteering pump area on an sw20 mr2. u have to use the alternator bracket off ur 3sge, there are holes on the 3sgte mr2 block already lined up.

here's a pic: http://image.furima.rakuten.co.jp/image/item/98/02 /20389802-2.jpg
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Wed, 13 October 2004 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why do I regret it, well this is why mostly,

Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 14:15

Say hello to torque steer. Someone on here the other day was saying the front wheel drive setup couldn't handle too much more power than the stock 3sge puts outs. In my opinion turbo charging a front wheel drive car is pretty pointless it is just a hiding to nowhere. You ruin the cars handling as you can no longer accellerate hard through corners and you make the car a bitch to get off the line in the wet let alone dry.

add that with a racing clutch so it won't slip and yeah, you get real bored with the car, give it time you will stop liking it eventually. you say you had it swapped for a while now, not that long since i have had mine done for well over a year, sure I loved it for the first 6 months as well.

the car is just no fun to drive anymore. There is a big defferance between a fun car and a fast car, personally I would take the fun car Very Happy .

there is nothing wrong with the gen1 engine, can you say you did the whole swap engineering included (everything required to do the swap as well... everything) for under $4000, when you can say that then the gen1 may have a problem, and the 4wd box is damn strong it won't break like your fwd box, it only adds about 40kg extra, its not that bad.

oh fair enough I have seen a couple of sw20's with the alternator next to the exhaust manifold i thought.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2004 14:34]

Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Wed, 13 October 2004 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate i wasn't having a go. it wasn't ment to sound like a personal attack. Confused
i definately agree with what "Corona RT142" said. its true! and what u said about driving a fast car and a fun car is spot on.my car ain't that fun nemore, but fast.its now "fun" when u beat ppl when ur racing thats all...the 3sge st162's are a fun car to drive. torque steer is quite severe on the swaps,and wheelspin.depending on my mood i enjoy the challenge of contolling the car, but other times i just cbf.i wanna drive a stock car thats smooth to drive and has a light clutch..from what u were saying before i think i'm already starting to feel a bit that way about the car... Sad
About the g/box i was only going by what u said in a post awhile ago.u said it was starting to make noises (snycros) or shifting probs and u thought it might not last much longer..something along those lines. i know the sv21 box will die eventually, i'm prepared for that.mr2 lsd is what u need in these swaps apparently. i said that the gen1 engines weren't as idea becuase they are older technology and some parts are harder to come by.
Wiso i'm not saying that my setup is idea, sorry if it came across that way.i know myself that it isn't.

neway enough of it. i'm just going to drive my car know for what it is and try and enjoy it.its only a damn car at the end of the day. Smile
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Thu, 14 October 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are front wheel drive turbo cars really that unenjoyable?
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Thu, 14 October 2004 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 10:46

u can have a drive of mine when its done and decide for yourself
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Thu, 14 October 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Well it depends, I would personally limit the boost in 1st and 2nd gear, probably to something low like 7psi, and then up the boost in higher gears, maybe run 10-12psi.

You really don't want buggerloads of torque at the front wheels, it will totally piss you off going around a race-track Razz

I can see what Wiso is saying, driving a turbo FWD is not so much fun as it is really bloody hard. It's a nice challenge and would be sort of interesting on the track, but as a road car I would really start to dislike it after about a week hehehe especially when the ST162 in stock form is such a great design - sure it could handle a bit more power, maybe swapping in a slightly later gen 3S-GE, but as soon as you start pushing out 250Nm of torque or more (ala a turbo engine) you are just going to ruin it's fun factor. The geometry of the suspension, and layout of the car really was only designed for moderate amounts of torque.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Thu, 14 October 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWD boy, ur right. i'm going to buy a dual stage turbosmart (like what neil has)and prolly switch between hi/low boost in my 1st,2nd gears, if i'm racing. at 12psi thou u still really feel the torque steer in 3rd,sometimes 4th Sad
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Thu, 14 October 2004 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that noise I had in the gearbox turned out to be the driveshaft in the end, the clip that holds it in the box was a bit squashed so it wasn't holding it solid, a new clip fixed that prob.

yeah exactly it takes alot more, concentration, effort (mental and physical in my case), paitents. and if you just wanna go somewhere but not really drive, its a drain, but when you wanna drive, it is pretty fun.

Speaking of which I have decide to sell my celica, it will be up for sale at the end of the year with rego, fully engineered, and an absoluted shitload of extra parts, probably be looking about the $8000 mark.

I am just having too damn much fun in the mr2 these days hehehe a friend said that in an evo mag or something once the reviewers mentioned they always have more fun in the small capacity cars rather than the big power cars. funny enough
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Thu, 14 October 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so can u turbo stock 3sge to say 7psi by getting 3sgte manfold and other necessary bits>>> or supercharge even. cause i dotn wnat engine swap i just want 100fwkw
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Thu, 14 October 2004 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can't just bolt a turbo onto the 3sge with the manifolds and hope it will last, you won't get long before you kill it. then you will be doing an engine swap

You also need to decompress the engine, the 3sge is too higher comp ratio to turbo, same as supercharge, plus you can't fit a supercharger in the engine bay, I had a friend who checked it out, you physically can't put one anywhere, except out the top of the bonnet.

if you only want 100fwkw, get an aftermarket ecu, and get it tuned, will probably cost less, and that will give you that figure roughly
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Thu, 14 October 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweeet, which aftermarket ecu casue i prefer to get na for insruance neway,
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Thu, 14 October 2004 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 3S-GE only has 9.0:1 compression, so you could probably get away with about 5psi of boost but for the amount of money you'd spend, and they amount of weight it would add having the turbo and intercooler etc - you'd be going about 0.1seconds quicker to 100km/h and about 100km/h quicker to your local importer to get a 3S-GTE.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Thu, 14 October 2004 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh - and as for your ECU question - take your pick...there's tonnes out there, although I understand finding one that is cool with EGR is kind of difficult. Although if you want 100 fwkw you may have to look at increasing the flow of the engine.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Fri, 15 October 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sleeker162 wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 12:02

Jag7799 wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 10:46

u can have a drive of mine when its done and decide for yourself

lol i dunno if i should Smile.. cause i know i wont let anyone bar me and my step dad drvie my car.. and would be unfair for me to drive yours and you not drive mine
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Mon, 18 October 2004 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol im too scared to drive your car, so problem solved
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turboing the Celica SX ST162 anyone? Mon, 18 October 2004 02:01 Go to previous message
sleeker162 wrote on Mon, 18 October 2004 11:59

lol im too scared to drive your car, so problem solved

hehehe
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:how much would you think you should pay for a center console for an SV21 Camry?
Next Topic:Went to the drags and...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 16:37:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0094618797302246 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.