Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
startup noises Wed, 13 October 2004 04:51 Go to next message
whenver i start my car, for the first 5 seconds of running it sounds really bad then sounds fine, it runs fine while it is making the bad noise, sounds like the cam chain to me
is that just a big of chain slapping, or is it just loosing lubrication while its not running, or is it too loose?

cheers, jesse
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: startup noises Wed, 13 October 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
usually this is the camshafts waiting for the oil to make its way up there through the oil galleries. my car does it for maybe 1 or 2 seconds sometimes

this can be reduced by installing a toyota (or other) oil filter with anti-drain valves

and maybe using like a magnetic/polarised oil stuff like that castrol stuff.. that seems to leave a coating on the surfaces that reduces low-oil rattle on startup - though there are lots of theories about this stuff

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: startup noises Wed, 13 October 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
generally any noise form the chain would suggest that it is getting old and will soon need to be replaced. My sis's boyfriend had a SSS pulsar that was pretty old and he new the timing chain was about to go but was getting rid of the car so it ddin't bother him, it was quite noisy but just like yours once warmed up it was ok it was well overdue to be replaced but he couldn't give two shits.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: startup noises Wed, 13 October 2004 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, not familiar with old chain noises, as I have a belt.. so my idea only relates to my experiences

sorry if it doesn't help
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: startup noises Wed, 13 October 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timing chain is definately not something to not give 2 shits about, hole engine can be stuffed in a second...
i checked the chain when we built the engine it was fine according to the manual, and its not that its warming up i think it is that after a few kicks over its got oil again..maybe i need some stickier oil and a better filter as rob suggested
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: startup noises Wed, 13 October 2004 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I know but he was gettin rid of the car and it had other major problems so he just couldn't give two shits about the car at that point in time.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: startup noises Wed, 13 October 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay thanks for your input...

maybe the 2tg chain tensioners need oil pressure to tension the chain properly??
i recall a couple of them being hydraulic...?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: startup noises Wed, 13 October 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Mine makes that sort of sound for about 1 or 2 secs before the oil gets to it. I suggest, when you first start the engine to keep the revs low until the oil is up to pressure. I haven't tried the magnetic oil yet, however I have heard from multiple sources to use the recommended Toyota oil filter - do not use a generic one for your engine. Also, you may want to check what viscosity oil your engine requires. If it's too thick then it will take longer to get through the galleries when cold. However, don't go too light or it will be like water when hot and not provide the necessary lubrication for your motor.

As you (I think) are soon going to Kleinigs to get the carbs done, I'd ask him about the startup noise. He'll know what's going on and give you some ideas on what it is, or if it's a problem, and what to do about it.

seeyuzz
river
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: startup noises Wed, 13 October 2004 10:33 Go to previous message
20W-50 ive been running, and a different brand oil filter, i guess ill swop to toyota next oil change, which would be just about due now i think...
i stretched the engine right out yesterday and it was a lot better, got it up to 8 grand and it pulled the hole way...
im going to take it to the creek on next wed and see how it goes, i might not need such a big dyno tune after all but there certainly is room for improvement, its just a qiestion off do i wanna spend the a grand on that improvement, or a grand on nolathane bushes, strut tops and kon is for the front...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:mr nooney? celica ta23?
Next Topic:Good reliable cheap places in Sydney for a Dyno tune ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 12:37:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057158470153809 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.