Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 October 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Engine options
1.) Imported low kilometer Celica 184 Gen II 3SGE and gearbox

2.) Australian MR2 Mk2 Gen II 3SGE and gearbox

3.) Rebuild my Gen I. Performance pistons, rings, bored cylinders, new valves, seats, springs, cams, crank...

My pick is any gen 2 or gen 3 3S-GE...you can grab them from MR-2s and MR-2 GTs...the import engine is also an option although remember it's actually called an ST182 not and ST184 - the ST184 has the 5S-FE, then ST182 has the 3S-GE.

Rebuilding a Gen 1 is not that cost effective, it's fairly expensive and the gains won't be anywhere near what you would get from a Gen 2...if you want another idea, I'm also building up a Gen 1 but with a 90mm stroke (using a 5S crank) this will get you some extra torque and along with some general rebuild stuff, possibly some extra kW as well. I'm also going to build up an MS (megasquirt) ecu (I'm an experienced programmer, although not experienced at developing ECUs) to suit this particular engine. Generally speaking people build up engines last and I thought I'd mention this option as I am still a little way off having my engine prepared.

Quote:

If I was going to run my car on premium unleaded, could I get a Japanese stock ECU? Or do I need to go aftermarket to see any performance gains? Is the Gen I ECU easy to change? Piggyback?
Afaik people have had some luck installing things like SAFCs (air/fuel controller) although the last person to do so ran too lean and blew a piston. The jap-spec ECU is available at some importers...this would be one advantage of going down the import ST182 route -> get the ECU as well.

Quote:

LSD
Is LSD worthwhile? I know using an MR2 SW20 LSD gearbox in an ST162 is a lot hardrer than a non-LSD one. What other LSD parts are needed?
Speak with Wiso, he hates repeating himself hehehe so you might be better off doing a search as well. It's been covered before. The LSD will obviously be an improvement over a standard open diff, the other option is finding an ST202 gearbox, RobST162 was lucky enough to get his hands on one recently and has sorted out most of the niggles (speedo cable?).

Quote:

Full exhaust
My friend works at Windsor Exhaust in Sydney and can do the whole thing for cost. I was planning on doing the extractors back. I'm not a fan of the huge exhaust (too ricey), especially on an NA car. Should I keep it at stock diamater, or is it worth going up to 3"?
2.5" is more than suffice even on a highly flowing 2.0 litre N/A engine. I would highly recommend a set of extractors as well, the standard exhaust manifold is fairly restrictive (from what I hear, especially if your engine is flowing better, ie you have changed the head/intake).

Quote:

Suspension
Brushes and struts. Should I get it from Whiteline, or TRD or someone else? Is a front swaybar necessary?
The GT4 swaybar is an option if you can find one, they are pretty beefy however rare and probably more expensive than getting a new whiteline one. Struts? You can probably get ST185 (GT4 again) struts which may be an improvement, but I don't know anything about fitting them in. Bushes? Alot of them are pressed into the joints (ie ball joints etc) so short of the swaybar mount rubbers, and I think the lower-control arm you will be hard-pressed to find cheap new bushes (aside from your local toyota dealer, although some of the parts cost alot of money)

Quote:

Shocks and springs. I want to keep it at standard ride height. King springs aren't too expensive (I've been quoted $255 for front and back pairs), what shocks are good from a price/performance perspective? Koni and KYB are recommended fairly often. Any other makes worth considering?
We recommend those two for a reason...KYB specifically because they aren't bloody expensive...Koni/H&R etc are all very expensive and obviously are nice. KYB may bring out an adjustable shock for the ST162 one day, who knows Smile

Quote:

Other mods
Hi flow cat
TRD Clutch? Other recommendations?
Cold air intake
Lightweight flywheel
Shortened shifter
Box for my air filter
GT-4 two spot brakes for front. Worthwhile for back?

The GT4s back brakes are slightly different (it's 4WD remember) thus I don't think they can be used, however they are not any bigger, nor do they have more pistons. All the other options have been mentioned around the place, do a search. A full exhaust system without a high-flow cat would be kind of pointless though, the cat is a very big part of the restriction in an exhaust system.

Quote:

Fix up
New front lip (mine isn't in great condition)
Fog lights
Brighter headlight globes
Replace rear-left mud flap
Driver's door lock face
Fix the antenna? Anyone done this?
Front seats
Replace stock 4" splits
Lastly, a new paint job.
I think alot of people's front lips are stuffed, I bought new ones from toyota and they were expensive but they look good. You can also rig up the GT4 front bar as well, search for a more conclusive answer to that. The antenna can also be purchased from toyota (as i have done) the front splits are easy enough to replace, I know that sony 2-way 4" splits actually fit into those mounts precisely.
  Send a private message to this user    
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 October 2004 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Tue, 12 October 2004 14:45

buck_naked -> dude I'm in the same boat...my choice? I decided to get the hell out of there. My problem is that I want a car that is absolutely perfect, but in order to achieve this you pretty much have to take the whole thing apart and put it back together again, I mean - all 4000 or so pieces .

My choice is to grab a GT4 and then build up a classic RWD celica with a new school heart and ditch the ST162 cause it'll never be as good as I want it to be.

How is your ST165 going?

I'm thinking if I scale back my fantasies (LSD, GT4 brakes, paint job, fog lights / lip) and just do the engine and suspension, I'll reach a happy medium. I figure I'll be stuck with this car for another year, and I know I'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it with the suspension and a bit more performance.

EDIT! We seem to keep missing each other, going to go back through your post.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 October 2004 05:55]

buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 October 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for going through my list!

I think I'll stay away from the rebuild then. I figure that a Gen 2 will be cheaper than a Gen 3, plus be less electrical work to install. I'll enquire at an engine importer on Friday in regards to getting a ST182 engine, gearbox, and ECU. After pricing that, I'll price the MR2 gear.

What about getting an imported ST202 front cut? Would that include engine, gearbox, ecu, loom etc? Do the ST202's have 3rd gen 3sge? Would that be an okay option if I did the work myself?

Do you use an SAFC instead of an ECU, or do you use it to program your ECU? Can you use it on a stock ECU?

Thanks for the advice on the exhaust. I thought 2.5" would be heaps. When I said from the extractors back, I meant the extractors as well Smiley =

New Whiteline struts seem to be reasonably priced and are more availible than GT4 parts. Do Whiteline do bushes as well? I'll look into that. I've found the location of a good suspension place (they distribute Koni, KYB, Whiteline and lots more). I'll go to them and price up my options.

I think the lips get stuffed because they're flexible Smiley = Mind you, if they were more ridgid, they'd probably have more cracks in them! I'd love a GT4 front bar, but I'm sure they're quite hard to get a hold of.

Thanks for the food for thought!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 October 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST202 has the 3rd gen 3S-GE and they also have LSD gearbox - however they are probably alot harder to get hold of at this stage as well, and they are expensive.

Whiteline/Nolathane etc are all limited in what bushes they'll do, I think maybe StuC has some new ones in his car??? But i have no idea where he got them from and whether or not all of them were done, or just the easily interchangeable ones. You could always get custom made ones if your wallet likes Razz

SAFC is used in conjuction with standard ECU, it acts like an extra correction factor for the duty cycle of the injectors I think? I'm not the one to ask though...!
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 October 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.japparts.com.au/ has a 3SGE-ST202 front cut in stock for $2,200. Shipping to Perth would be $350 on a skid. That would solve my new gearbox, engine, and ECU needs in one step, right?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 October 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but these boys are right!

if you want a big-ass sports car.. the 162 ain't it!

If you want top value for your dollar with not too bad insurance and good fuel economy... well that is the 162 for you.

It is never going to be a machine without lots of mulah. But it was never designed to be.

listen to what FWDboy has to say.. he knows his stuff. My LSD dramas are sorted now too.. which is nice I must say! Smile

GT4 front brakes are one of the cheapes best bolt-on upgrades you can do for your car... as for everything else, w3rd to FWDboy
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 October 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ST162s can be pretty quick out on the circuits as well btw, but they are no drag/muscle car! I would say my stock GT4 wouldn't be much quicker around most circuits than my stock SX (maybe a few tenths of a second per km)

Unless, of course, the circuit was a dirt track!
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 October 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Tue, 12 October 2004 18:29

My LSD dramas are sorted now too.. which is nice I must say! Smile

GT4 front brakes are one of the cheapes best bolt-on upgrades you can do for your car... as for everything else, w3rd to FWDboy

Rob, how is the LSD on your Celica? Worthwhile or unnecessary upgrade? And thanks for the tip on the GT4 front brakes, I'll put them back on my to-do list.
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 October 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you decide to do a gen 2/3 swap make sure you get a half cut, as i'm discovering the wiring is such an annoying thing to have to do.
Count on some kind of custom exhaust fabrication as the later model exhausts foul on the ST162 east-west crossmember. Depending on weather you want a pod filter or a panel filter some custom inductiuon fabrication may be necessary. My recommendation, leave any wiring issues to a professional.

MR2 LSD gearbox, will cost you a testicle and perhaps a kidney as well! if you were to use one youd need to track down gear linkages and bracketry off an e-series gearbox (GT4 or 4A-GZE). If you want an LSD get yourself a half cut and there are several japanese brands (eg Cusco) that make LSD centers for the gearbox youd get in the halfcut which greatly outperform stock LSD's anyway. The overall cost would be about the same, dunno how labour intensive installing as LSD is though.

Cheers
Steve
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 October 2004 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey StuC, hurry up and get those rims on to ur car! Razz i'm curious to see what it looks like! Very Happy pics..
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 October 2004 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Rob, how is the LSD on your Celica? Worthwhile or unnecessary upgrade? And thanks for the tip on the GT4 front brakes, I'll put them back on my to-do list.

I didn't actually get the LSD because I "needed" it, lol, but it came up when I was hunting around for a new flywheel and was way too god a deal to pass up.

You get great traction off the line and an amazing (like AMAZING) ability to corner faster. Once you haveon eyou can't go back. However, I was content at the time to continue with my open diff, but now that I have it, I am super happy. So, necessary? No, not necessary, but nice. Worthwhile?? For the price I got it for yes, but I would not have paid 1k for it.

if I was getting a 1/2 cut or something, well, not like you would say no...
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 October 2004 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Turbo+LSD+FWD=Fun
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 October 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ey fellas

Does anyone know where the little buzzer is that comes on when you leave the headlights on? My one seems to have died so i will have to go and fix it.

Cheers
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 October 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 08:20

I didn't actually get the LSD because I "needed" it, lol, but it came up when I was hunting around for a new flywheel and was way too god a deal to pass up.

You get great traction off the line and an amazing (like AMAZING) ability to corner faster. Once you haveon eyou can't go back. However, I was content at the time to continue with my open diff, but now that I have it, I am super happy. So, necessary? No, not necessary, but nice. Worthwhile?? For the price I got it for yes, but I would not have paid 1k for it.

if I was getting a 1/2 cut or something, well, not like you would say no...

It's seeming like the ST202 halfcut is definitely the way to go! The LSD sounds like an essential component!

A question about swaybars: I've already been recommended to get a rear swaybar, but is a front swaybar important? I've been offered a good price in a group buy for front and back swaybars, and I was wondering if it was worth getting both for $350.

I'm making plans to get my suspension done before the end of the month. If I get the full exhaust put onto my 1st gen 3sge, how much of it will I be able to use on my 3rd gen 3sge? I'm guessing the extractors would be incompatible, right? If so, I should definitely hold off getting that work done until I do the engine swap.

Rob, do you have any more work planned for your ST162?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 October 2004 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I'm making plans to get my suspension done before the end of the month. If I get the full exhaust put onto my 1st gen 3sge, how much of it will I be able to use on my 3rd gen 3sge? I'm guessing the extractors would be incompatible, right? If so, I should definitely hold off getting that work done until I do the engine swap.

Rob, do you have any more work planned for your ST162?

apparently a rear swaybar is a great upgrade and therefore something that I am going to do soon, as well as get my zorst finished... I need a high-flow cat + new larger stainless flex

dude, I am not 100% about extractors being incompatible. Someone here will know for sure
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 October 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here are the new rims peoples!sorry about the image, its not zoomed in enough. As it turns out a definitely need some new rubber. The fronts are ok tread wise but have a huge gash from rubbin against the arches i guess. the backs are frigged. so il get some cheappy 2nd hands to get me by till i can get some new tyres. Whatya reckon?

http://img40.exs.cx/img40/661/newwheels.jpg
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 October 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's mad! they look tops dude

just you gotta get some thinner tyres on there and lower her a tad Very Happy

got a bit of that 4WD action happenning lol
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 October 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it look like a landcruiser.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 October 2004 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it does look a bit 4wdish.. i agree with rob, u need lower profile tyres. lowering it would help too.

props for having unique wheels on a st162 Very Happy
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 October 2004 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I really like the rims. With low profile tires, they'd look even better Smiley =

I can't get over how high your car is sitting! What is that front lip doing so high up!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/jledley/Stuff/Cars/86CelicaSX1.jpg

Is that normal or is mine weird?

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2004 17:58]

doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 October 2004 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm I really like the rims too, i rekon theyd look evan better on my car Razz being a white lighting and all. What do a set like that cost around?

I really need to get off my ass and find a front lip.
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
White wheels on a red car, i love it! brings back memories of WRC evo's, white over red is definatly my favourite colour scheme.
Paint the front lip and sideskirts white! Very Happy
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks good, need to lower it though Smile
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doobs, here a front lip for sale on ebay in Vic:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;category=10428&item=2493464775&rd=1

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StuC - that does look oddly high - you sure you've still got the engine in the front there? Laughing Low suspension can be a pain in the arse though, I'm sick of seeing ST162s with ruined front lips! Which is why I'm sticking with standard height on my car.
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,

Noticed this ad in the QLD trading post for a Celica that is being parted out:

Toyota Celica SX 1986, FWD, white, liftback 2.0ltr 4sp automatic. Has been hit in the front, wrecking for parts or selling as whole. All mechanics but radiator, and interior in good condition -$1000 ono Minyama (07) 5444 1332

Thought it might be useful if someone is trying to find that all-elusive part! (e.g. front lip, assuming it escaped damage) Minyama is on the Sunshine Coast. Dunno if they'd be willing to post, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Later,
Matt
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt86sx wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 14:26

Has been hit in the front...

...find that all-elusive front lip, assuming it escaped damage.

Don't like the chances Smiley =
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

StuC - that does look oddly high - you sure you've still got the engine in the front there? Low suspension can be a pain in the arse though, I'm sick of seeing ST162s with ruined front lips! Which is why I'm sticking with standard height on my car.

Hey Steve, I know you are the king of anti-lowness Wink BUT I have had my car sitting very close to what king-lows are for ages now, and I don't scrape on anything and my front bar really never touches anything.

king superlows are stupid, but I think most will find the King Lows offer a really nice compromise and great handling.. and the springs are pretty easy to swap out on our cars
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha - lowish is okay...ridiculously low is bad Smile
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree superlows are ridiculous!mines been dropped only 30mm front and rear. the front lip scraps slightly on steep driveways and the exhaust has bottomed out underneath near were the factory cat and resonator live. Sad i'm surprised, toyota made the st162's pretty damn low, like for the average driver u wouldn't want ur st162 lower than stock really. Surprised
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 23:42

that's mad! they look tops dude

just you gotta get some thinner tyres on there and lower her a tad Very Happy

got a bit of that 4WD action happenning lol

Oh i'm all to familiar with that one rob, !!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol yeah, not anymore though! Smile

any progress on your car there Julian?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well guys I thought this day wouldn't come, but at the end of the year I am most likely gonna stick my celica up for sale, with rego, (I just need it for 2 weeks while I paint the mr2), fully engineered, as is with shitloads of spare parts. Most likely hoping for the $8000 mark, I'll have to redo the front brakes before that though, I just need new pads and to machine the rotors. bummer, but the MR2 is just so much damn fun, and pretty bloody quick Laughing
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i will rasie my st162 form superlos to los soon cause my hotdog and numerous other bits are living around 8cm of the ground
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol been there!

I wore a hole through my hot dog before I changed my springs the first time.. lol
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe i have already been to exhuast shop a few times patching up cracks etc from hard knoxs,

once with full car load and camping gear it bottomed out at 100kmph on a country road and hotdog smacked the ground hard
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Funniest thing happened today - immaculate red ST162 sitting at the lights, had been lowered, female driver and I was like "'ello 'ello!" Pull up next to it and she turns out to be about 80 years old!! Eyes casually come back round to the front. Laughing There are so many elderly Celica drivers in Burwood its not funny!!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing

SHHhh! bro.. don't let anyone know that old ladies drive Celicas.. Wink
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing

did she crack onto you...or u crack onto her

you shouldve blown her a kiss Razz

Laughing Laughing
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing

I was gettin ready to work a little andy magic, but she must've been late for bingo or something cos she took off pretty quick when she saw me!
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I opened up my AFM today and turned the gear three clicks richer. I noticed a pretty big change in the way the throttle behaves, having more power with less use of the pedal, plus being more confident up in the top end.

Am I chewing through more fuel like this? I'll do some tests on my mileage after I fill up.

I'm going to take my car out tonight and put it through some paces and on Saturday I might experiment with running the mixture leaner.

I read one website which said I should turn the gear FIVE clicks richer - which sounded pretty crazy to me. Is running leaner a more sensitive process?
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 17:52

well guys I thought this day wouldn't come, but at the end of the year I am most likely gonna stick my celica up for sale, with rego, (I just need it for 2 weeks while I paint the mr2), fully engineered, as is with shitloads of spare parts. Most likely hoping for the $8000 mark, I'll have to redo the front brakes before that though, I just need new pads and to machine the rotors. bummer, but the MR2 is just so much damn fun, and pretty bloody quick Laughing

sorry to hear that. good luck with the sale. after driving a "fun" car like an aw11 i can understand ur reasoning about deciding to finish with the celi..
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 October 2004 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Running richer will not really improve your HP m'afraid, it *may* slightly improve your mid-range (as 162's run a little bit leaner in that regard) but rich mixtures are actually power unfriendly mixtures. Running leaner is the way to get more power, however you may not want to do this as it significantly increase your combustion temperatures.

If you want to learn more I know of a very good reference text written by Robert Bosch (that guy who invented EFI) that might help you understand a bit more about tuning your engine.
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 15 October 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Fri, 15 October 2004 01:14

Running richer will not really improve your HP m'afraid, it *may* slightly improve your mid-range (as 162's run a little bit leaner in that regard) but rich mixtures are actually power unfriendly mixtures. Running leaner is the way to get more power, however you may not want to do this as it significantly increase your combustion temperatures.

If you want to learn more I know of a very good reference text written by Robert Bosch (that guy who invented EFI) that might help you understand a bit more about tuning your engine.

Heheh, I must have been having a placebo effect. Pushing the car harder than I normally would and calling it a performance increase Smiley =

Is the reference text online or is it a book?
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 15 October 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUYS!! so LSD isnt standard feature on ST162? darn looks like i must look for a front cut later on with LSD... Still... waiting for TMR to come... i so want to buy ST162 >_< gotta say i hate the wait.! Very Happy
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 16 October 2004 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmmm - LSD - I need more Smile

Has anyone here modified the ports on the 1st gen 3S-GE head, if so what did you do and what changes did you notice in regards to CFM/intake velocity?
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 17 October 2004 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think my 3S-Ge is a 2nd gen. but yeah, mine has had a head job!!! Razz

Can't help you with any info tho. Mech dealt with it. More top end flow and revved freely. Not hard to do yourself i'd imagine.
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 October 2004 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any one wondering about suspension upgrade i'm about the GT2 fully worked out on suspension!!!

In the next two weeks she getting..
# KYB gas alround...$472
# King Spring Lows (30mm drop)...$230 (whole car)
# Poly urathane bushes for everything..$240 (not sway bar ones cause i get them with the line bars)
# WhiteLine Front 22mm Solid sway bar (stock is 26mm but hollow)..$190
# WhiteLine Rear 18mm Solid sway bar (stock is 12mm solid)...$165
# Poly bump stops (for lower set ups) and shock boots for whole car (i think i don't got any atm, lol)...$110

ATM she the front bottoms out on "big" cats eyes, lol!

So then she'll be like "Shit to a Blanket"

Nezza Cool
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 October 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 21:10

Laughing

SHHhh! bro.. don't let anyone know that old ladies drive Celicas.. Wink

lol
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 19 October 2004 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Nezz,

All those suspension mods look pretty cool! That's good info to know, I want to do something similar to mine one day so that gives me a rough idea of what to expect cost wise.

So where are you getting all this done?

-Matt
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 19 October 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Everytime I ask someone I get a fuzzy answer, but what polyurethane bushes are you getting - as in which suspension bits and where are you getting them from?
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 19 October 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nezza, i'm looking into getting the whiteline swaybars (front+rear). let us know how they go Smile
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 October 2004 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey All,

My name is Matt and i am also an owner of the st162 Celica SX, and have been for a couple of years. It has a newer 3s-ge from an mr2, but im not sure what year.

Would this have anymore power over the stock 3s-ge or would it be the same because i am running stock ecu? Would i gain any more power out of a piggyback ecu thing, or should i import a j-spec ecu?

As u can all see i live in perth. I was goin to save up and buy an sw20 mr2 and then do that up, but that wouldn't have happened till after i finish uni, and when that happens i will be earning enough money first year out to do that anyways. I have decided to restore my st162 back to life.

First thing i need to do, is remove the rust and respray my car, and to also remove the dents that a certain previous female driver decided she wanted to get up close and personal with a letter box. My front bumper is as we say in france "le fornicated" so i will need to replace that also. Which i will be doin via the ssv front. Because the panels and stuff will be off it wont be much more to install and paint the rest of the body kit.

Would it look stupid if i don't put on a rear bar, and just do sideskirts and front bar?

What is the door panel for $209? Will it look stupid without it, or should i put it on?

How much would it cost to ship the entire kit to perth?

The next thing i would be doing, is putting on a nice set of 5 spoke 17 inch rims.

What width wheel is the max, or most importantly, which would handle the best?

If i installed low king springs, would they rub on the tyre at all?

I will also need to upgrade my suspension, so what shocks are recommended without costing me a pooload of money, but offer good performance?

Would i likely need new bushings for my suspension? Or can i just change to the whiteline sway bars?

Where abouts in perth, could i locate a place that sells extractors for our cars, and a decent 2.5inch exhaust? What type of mufflers are good for our cars (not too loud, but sporty sound) and how much would i look like paying for the whole exhaust setup?

Where is a good place in perth to buy a k&n panel filter, what should i expect to pay and what is the model number?

On an extra note, should i bother about trying to get an lsd for my ride? Roughly how much would one cost?

I think these are about all my questions for now... thanks for all those who made it too the end of my post, sorry for it being so long, and thanks to anyone that answers any of my questions.

Will cya guys around.

// Matt
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 October 2004 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whew so many questions!

well I don't know the answer to all of them, and regarding kits, I know NOTHING, and whether it woud look stupid without the back bar I guess is up to you. I can't remember what the SSV one looks like

Quote:

If i installed low king springs, would they rub on the tyre at all?

with 17z.. no it won't. I think KYBs are the shock of choice for the $$ around here and King Lows are a very good spring
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 October 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt-itude, you may want to scroll up a bit because i reckon just about ALL of those question have been answered recently. Perhaps within the last few weeks.

If in doubt, you can always use the forum's search function! Good luck Smile
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 October 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ey all,

I finnaly get my front lip tommorow, I can't wait then my car can look the way it was ment to Very Happy

Im getting all my mud gards, the black bottom bits on the side and the back, and the front lip sprayed white when i get my sunroof and the other rust fixed up in about 1-2 months, for only $400.

Also on the tafe holidays I will be getting a set of white 16s, all the suspension mods (springs, shocks, swaybars, brushes), full exaust, and I will complete the intake Very Happy. OOOH and Im getting the gt4 front calipers if I can find some.

I cant wait for the hols shes gonna be a totally different car.
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 October 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 11:07

Matt-itude, you may want to scroll up a bit because i reckon just about ALL of those question have been answered recently. Perhaps within the last few weeks.

If in doubt, you can always use the forum's search function! Good luck Smile

okay sorry, i have been reading a LOT lately...

does anyone know what the door panels are on the ssv kit? and would it be worth gettin the rear bumper as well?
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 October 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt,
If I was gonna do the SSV kit at all it'd be just front bumper and side skirts, looks best that way I think. The side skirts stick out from standard body work a few centimeters. if you opt for the door panel it widens your door to match the added width of the sideskirts so you retain a smooth vertical line in the bodywork. I reckon it looks beefier when when it recesses in above the sideskirt.

Cheers
Steve
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 October 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u paint ur front bar doobs, do not lower at all, i was going to paint all mine mine so i even bought a new front bar on trade discountof course due to poroisity, but i didint and sense then due to tow trucks and gutters even being very careful my fornt bar is all scraped on the bottom, so unless u repaint it all the time it will look shite
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 October 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
I got the springs, shocks and sway bars from Commera Tyre World, they a small place but he knows his shit and gets realy good prices! the bumb stop and cover boots are from GSA in springwood (over the phone they had particly as good prices as commera tyre world, but when i went and got hte bump stops and shit they go it liek double prices so i'm like that fuck that! and commera tyre world is a local place!)

The bushes from my small as local auto parts store, i mean he had a bushes book, autobarn, super cheap auto, cheapa auto spears didn't have some yeah all the other just have nolthane and they only make one set of the amny sets of bushes needed for the whole car, so they lazy!

Also i'm doing soem of the work and getting my local and fully sick as moblie mechanic to come and do it for us, and replace a wheel bear and shit!

BTW Rob... your car is only on king lows not super lows right cause it look fat at that height i can't wait!

Nezza Cool
Pages (63): [ «  <  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 19:58:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.029201984405518 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.