Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Wed, 13 October 2004 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 14:40

depend son how many burnouts you do

I was actually kidding, the way I see it it is a waste of money that could be spent elsewhere Rolling Eyes

but thats just IMHO

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2004 05:34]

Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Wed, 13 October 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
really that wasn't obvious at all, personally I would just make sure you check tyre pressures regularly. When I got my new tyres I checked the pressure they were running a couple months later and thus would assume they had lost some and they were reading 44psi, dumb bastards overinflating my tyres, optimium PSI is supposed to be 36 correct me if I'm wrong.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Wed, 13 October 2004 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitrogen Fill wrote on Wed, 13 October 2004 15:17

Retaining pressure Nitrogen-inflated tyres retain pressures up to 3 times longer than tyres filled with compressed air. Therefore you don't have to check the tyre pressures as often.
Maintaining temperature Heat is one of the major factors in a tyre's life. The cooler a tyre can operate over long distances and excessive suburban work [in accordance with recommended cold inflation pressures], the longer the tyre will last. Nitrogen being a gas doesn't expand or contract resulting in better cornering and road handling, and therefore increasing the tyre life and reducing the risk of blowouts.

This whole paragraph is erroneous and overlooks multiple physical laws, unless you live in some parallel universe where things like the ideal gas equation Norbie quoted above are irrelevant.

Nitrogen has the same capacity to leak out of holes as air does (remember air is 79% nitrogen). I would have thought checking tyre pressure would be mandatory as regular maintenance, even just so I could make sure my precious $15 per tyre nitrogen fill is being lost. Increased wear from incorrect tyre pressures will quickly counter any gains (real or perceived) made by filling with nitrogen.

One of the features of a gas is that it expands and contracts - this state of matter sets it apart from solids and liquids which are noncompressible (not strictly true but for the the sake of this discussion, take it as given).

Given that gases are compressible, if contained in a tyre then this will allow the tyre to deform. This deformation of the tyre will occur irrespective of which gas it is inflated with and will be of the same degree for the same inflating pressure. It is this deformation that causes heat to be generated in the tyre. Heat is also generated by friction with the road, direct conduction of heat from road surface to the tyre, and conduction and radiation of heat from drivetrain components (wheel bearings, brake components) and probably a myriad other ways.

The only way there could be some difference is if there is a VAST difference in the expansion coefficients of air and nitrogen.

I now suggest you find me/us this data, and/or the results of you randomized controlled double blind study before cutting and pasting absolute rubbish.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2004 05:45]

stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Wed, 13 October 2004 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It all depends what vehicle you have, look for the tyre placard on your car, it will tell you all the information you will need to know.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2004 05:46]

stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Wed, 13 October 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$15 per tyre, your getting ripped. You would have to admit that most people dont check tyre pressures that often.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Wed, 13 October 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
According to the law of expanding gases one mole of any gas will take up 24.47 L of space when in standard temparature and pressure ie 100kpa and 25C. Thus we can assume that no matter what temp the gases should expand at the same rate, go my studying for chemistry
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As usual GT has hit the nail on the head. It turns out that Nitrogen and Oxygen (the major components of air) are "ideal gases", which means their coefficient of expansion is pretty much the same.

"Nitrogen Fill", I suggest you brush up on some basic physics before posting here again. Here's a good start for you:
http://www.physiklabor.fh-aachen.de/ist-physics_la b_course/expansio.pdf
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another area in which nitrogen is used is inside shock absorbers for cars, bikes etc.

Now in a non car related industry I have worked on hundreds of shocks, most claim to be nitrogen filled from the factory and that refilling them with "air" will result in a decrease in performance. I am yet to witness or hear of anyone who has witnessed this decrease in performance or for that matter any negative effect of using "air".

I only brought this up as an aside to the topic, as these shocks I have worked on hold pressures in their static state any where from 75psi to over 300psi (obviously once compressed these pressures increase also). The temps that these chambers containing air or nitrogen can become quite high (never measured it but can be too hot to touch and will melt/deform plastic coatings).

I don't know the answer to why nitrogen is meant to be better than air in shocks, tyres etc (minimising moisture content is the only advantage I have identified). The reason that is spread around is less thermal expansion for stable pressures under a range of conditions (obviously a benefit in shock absorbers and tires if it were true)

But having both gases perform in the stessful environment of a shock absorber I am yet to identify a difference (I am not saying there is no diffrence rather that it is not distinguishable).

A note too is that recently a shock manufacturer went against the status quo and approves "air" refills now.

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 12:59

I don't know the answer to why nitrogen is meant to be better than air in shocks, tyres etc (minimising moisture content is the only advantage I have identified).

Only true if people are using compressed atmospheric air. If one were to use dry compressed air (air is cooled to well below 0 degrees so that the water vapour precipitates out), then moisture content becomes irrelevant. At 37 degrees C, the partial pressure of water vapour is around 47mmHg. At -20 degrees, it approaches zero.

The only other possible explanation for not using air is that by using nitrogen alone, one eliminates the highly chemically active oxygen moieties whilst still using a relatively cheap inert(ish) gas (at these temperatures and pressures). The process of making pure nitrogen also eliminates water. Of course, you could use the any of the much less abundant inert gases (helium, argon, neon, krypton) but I would imagine these are much more expensive than nitrogen.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 October 2004 03:31]

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Only true if people are using compressed atmospheric air. If one were to use dry compressed air (air is cooled to well below 0 degrees so that the water vapour precipitates out), then moisture content becomes irrelevant.

Thats right, most of the time though it is compressed atmospheric air I use and still no problems or performance differences have ever been seen even after 5 or more years of use. So for cost and ease of use I will continue to make use of the abundant atmospheric air Very Happy

Cheers.

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For sure! Very Happy
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
honestly dave, what the fuck would you know about the partial pressure of gasses??

sit down and shut up already. why be such a prick to some guy with an opinion?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 14:26

...or a vested interest.....
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It must do something good for the tyres since there are truck tyre manufactures that wont live up to the warranty agreement unless they are filled with Nitrogen only.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

It must do something good for the tyres since there are truck tyre manufactures that wont live up to the warranty agreement unless they are filled with Nitrogen only.

There must be something beneficial, we can lay this thread to rest if someone can find out what it is and a reference to the source of the info.

I am too lazy so someone else can do the research Very Happy

Well here is a start, 3 seconds of research got this:

http://www.toyo.com.au/tech_info11.html

Inflating tyres with Nitrogen compared to compressed air.

Nitrogen inflation of tyres has been common for tyres fitted to trucks, aircraft, race cars and vehicles used in mining & other industrial applications for a long time. The nitrogen used to fill these tyres generally came from portable bottles, very similar to those used to store gases for welding equipment. Recently machines have become available that generate & store large volumes of nitrogen suitable for inflating tyres. This equipment has the potential to make the cost of inflating tyres with nitrogen much lower compared to using portable bottles. This technology has been purchased by some tyre retailers, who are now offering nitrogen filling of tyres to customers with passenger cars, four-wheel-drives, vans, utes & light trucks.

There are advantages to inflating tyres with nitrogen rather than compressed air, but not all these advantages will apply in all applications. I will explain these advantages below, together with the specific applications in which they apply:

Advantages of inflating tyres with nitrogen rather than compressed air.
1. Slower rate of pressure loss. The rubber used for tubes & inner liners in tubeless tyres is not 100% impermeable, therefore some pressure loss can be expected over time. This is one reason why regular pressure checks are necessary. Due to its molecular structure, nitrogen bleeds through the inner liner or tube at a slower rate than regular compressed air. This advantage applies to all tyres filled with nitrogen. Regular pressure checks are still recommended, as tyres often lose pressure due to slow leaks caused by punctures or valve leaks. Regular pressure checks may indicate a tyre has a slow leak and needs an internal inspection and repair or valve replacement.
2. Cooler running temperatures. Tyres inflated with nitrogen will run cooler than those inflated with compressed air. There can be significant advantages associated with cooler running temperatures:
a. Improved tread life. Reducing a tyre's running temperature will increase its tread life. The amount of increased tread life will depend on the amount running temperatures are reduced by using nitrogen rather than compressed air for inflation.

The amount by which running temperatures are reduced with nitrogen inflation compared to normal compressed air will depend on the specific application. As a rule of thumb, the closer a tyre is to its maximum heat handling capabilities, the greater the reduction in running temperatures will be experienced with nitrogen inflation when compared to inflation with normal compressed air. The tyre's service description describes a tyre's heat handling capabilities,

Example #1: 205/65R15 95H, 95H being the service description. The load index of 95 indicates this tyre can carry 690kg at a speed of H, which is 210kph, at the tyre's maximum inflation pressure. The tyre size in example #1 is very common tyre size in Australia, and is fitted as original equipment to a large percentage of late model Holden Commodores, Ford Falcons, Mitsubishi Magnas and Toyota Camrys. I will use this tyre size as an example of a typical passenger tyre used on a sedan. For this example the inflation pressure used is appropriate for the load carried, or slightly over-inflated for the load carried. A Holden VT Commodore sedan with 4 passengers, fuel & considerable luggage would be expected to weigh close to 2100kg. The 4 tyres fitted to this vehicle are rated to carry 2760kg. Considering that in most situations the vehicle mentioned above would have only 2 occupants and a small amount of luggage (a total mass closer to 1750kg), the tyres fitted to this vehicle are under-stressed regarding load carrying & speed capabilities. In this application, nitrogen filled tyres would only run marginally cooler than with compressed air. The expected increase in tread life from this marginal decrease in running temperatures would be expected to be very small.

Example #2: 185R14C 102/100S. In this example, this tyre is not being used as a dual set, therefore 102 load index will apply. The 100 load index quoted applies when the tyre is used in a dual fitment. The load index of 102 indicates this tyre is rated to carry 850kg at a speed of "S", which is 180kph, at the tyre's maximum inflation pressure. This tyre size is very common on vans and utilities such as the Toyota Hi-ace & Hi-lux. In service, these tyres are often over-loaded or under-inflated compared to the load carried, for a large percentage of their life. Where these tyres are run near, at, or at times over their maximum load carrying capacity, running temperatures will be high. In applications similar to example #2, inflating tyres with nitrogen would significantly reduce running temperatures and should also improve tread life significantly compared to inflation with compressed air.

b. Reduced incidence of tyre damage caused by excess heat. In applications like example #2 where tyres are run at, near, or over their maximum rated capabilities for load (or speed), heat related tyre damage is common. The reduction of running temperatures with nitrogen inflation compared to compressed air should reduce the incidence of such damage. Many of the damage types caused by excessive heat can produce tyre failure in-service. As tyre failure in-service can be extremely dangerous, it obviously should be avoided!

3. Reduced pressure build-up. This is why nitrogen inflation is very common in tyres used for circuit racing. Running a tyre produces heat, this heat will cause an increase in pressure or pressure build-up. The amount of pressure increase will depend upon the amount of heat produced. In example #1, pressure build-up would be expected to be minimal, that is, from 2 - 4psi. In example #2, pressure build-up would be considerable. In circuit racing applications, the high levels of grip provided by race tyres produce considerable heat. The heat produced by this friction, as well as the flexing of the tyre, will produce a large amount of pressure build-up. In race tyres the pressure build-up can represent up to 50% of the cold inflation pressure. With nitrogen inflation there is less pressure build-up due to heat.
Increasing a tyre's inflation pressure has the affect of reducing the size of its contact patch. Reducing the size of a tyre's contact patch reduces its maximum grip levels. In examples #1 & #2, this is not a problem. In circuit racing applications the pressure build-up experienced when tyres are inflated with compressed air means that grip levels will drop as the tyres heat-up. Reduced grip levels will produce slower lap times. There is some pressure build-up when circuit race tyres are inflated with nitrogen, but the amount is low compared with tyres that are inflated with compressed air.

4. Reduced amount of oxidisation of wheels. Oxidisation (rusting) of wheels is a common problem in many mining and truck applications. Rusting will only occur in the presence of water & oxygen. In theory nitrogen inflation should prevent rusting of rims as there is no water vapour or oxygen present.
Disadvantages of inflating tyres with nitrogen rather than compressed air.
1. Cost. Inflating tyres with nitrogen is considerably more expensive than compressed air. The cost effectiveness of nitrogen inflation will depend on the specific application.
2. Pressure adjustments. To maintain the advantages of nitrogen inflation, nitrogen must be used to adjust inflation pressures when this is necessary. Adding even a small amount of compressed air to a tyre inflated with nitrogen will negate the advantages of nitrogen inflation.
Inflating tyres with dry air compared to nitrogen.
All conditions being the same, the difference in tyre running temperatures when comparing nitrogen with compressed air for tyre inflation is due to the presence of water in compressed air more than any other factor. As a tyre is run, flexing of the sidewalls and tread, as well as the friction between the tread and the road surface produces heat regardless of what gas is used to inflate the tyre. The water molecules in the compressed air behave quite differently compared to nitrogen molecules when exposed to the heat produced by the running of a tyre. Water molecules become much more "excited" by the heat generated by the running of a tyre, creating more heat & pressure build-up compared to a nitrogen inflated tyre. Pressure build-up is explained in advantage 3.
Compressed air, less the water vapour (i.e. "dry air") will provide cooler tyre running temperatures compared to normal compressed air. Compressed air that is completely free of water vapour will provide very similar levels of reduced running temperatures & reduced pressure build-up compared to normal compressed air inflation. Dry air will bleed through inner liners & tubes at the same rate as normal compressed air.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 October 2004 05:11]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One study many years ago showed increased life expectancy using nitrogen.

I am unable to find the reference for this study to see how it was conducted. It sounds like it was an unblinded prospective study - way bad.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A better source of info would be nice, but a lazy old google gave the above info. They don't offer any references from what I can see I am afraid. I am sure there is much better info out there.
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

honestly dave, what the fuck would you know about the partial pressure of gasses??

Seems a bit harsh... am I missing some sort of in-joke?

Cheers,
Dan
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thing that worries me abotu all this nitrogen hoohah, is that...

tyre pressure is what? say 30 psi (for convenience) = 2bar..
so inside the tyre is 3 times the volume (at 1atm pressure)

unless these tyres are fitted and filled in an evacuated then nitrogen filled chamber, then when the tyres are first inflated, they will contain 1/3rd air.
this is not good (if we are to believe the hype)

ideally, you woudl evacuate the tyre prior to filling with N2, but this is not possible as the tyre will unseal.

what you could do is to fill and purge for a few times... each time you fill and release, you will halve the amount of air in there..

for my uni experiments, with a furnace tube and flowing gas, it was generally accepted that you need to flow a minimum of 10 times the volume of the chamber to reduce contamination...
i would run 15 times volume as i needed very low oxygen atmospheres (like 10^-20 or less...)

eg, 3L reaction chamber, flow 45L of gas at around 500mls/min = 90 minutes purging time.

so anyway... i wonder how many time they purge the tyres so they are truly air free??

other problem ppl haven't mentioned is oil contamination from compressors.. not a prob with high grade bottled air (ie 4 or 5 9's)

Cya, Stewart

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dcleyne wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 15:20

Seems a bit harsh... am I missing some sort of in-joke?

I work with partial pressures of gases daily. Laughing

Good point Stu, I hadn't even thought of the residual air after the tyre is placed on the rim. You could roughly work it out. One could determine the volume of air required to keep the tyre just inflated - let's call this the Base Filling Volume (BFV). The we could determine the volume of air required to fill the tyre to operating inflation pressure and call this volume the Operating Inflation Volume (OIV). Total volume in the tyre is the BFV + OIV. The concentration of nitrogen would be:

[N2] = 0.79xBFV + 1.0x OIV

With infinite purging and refilling, the [N2] approaches 100%. From my (hopeless) pharmacokinetic knowledge, the value approaches 95% of the asymptote value after 5 cycles.

In short, a shit load of N2 will be required to actually do this properly. My suspicion is that, well at least at you local tyre shop, such successive purging and filling processes are not undertaken. This adds further weight to the argument that nitrogen filling of car tyres is an intellectual masturbation.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 October 2004 08:47]

Supralux
Regular

July 2004
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i fill my tyres with only the best ozone. see ozone absorbs uv radiation and that is the worst kind for your tyres. causes gentic defects in the tyre wall.
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I fill my tyres with moose, punctures are not a problem Very Happy
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Thu, 14 October 2004 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about filling the tyres with grass? Laughing
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Nitrogen filling for tryes Sun, 17 October 2004 07:06 Go to previous message
The only credible reason I could find for nitrogen filling was the link I posted at the start of this thread, mid last year, after much research. That relates to possible spontaneous combustion of aircraft tyres in extreme circumstances (ie they get very hot very quickly), and this may be an issue for race cars or heavy trucks as well, but it's never going to happen on a road car.

The article posted by KE382TG sounds credible enough but it's full of holes. Statements like "nitrogen makes tyres run cooler" might be taken at face value by most people, but I want to know how this is possible!
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:JDM Inside dvd's
Next Topic:208.1hp atw@13psi and driving home with no clutch..
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 01:08:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.056785106658936 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.