Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Windows XP & P2P?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Windows XP & P2P? Thu, 14 October 2004 11:12 Go to next message
Downloaded Emule (only a few years too late) but to work properly (i.e more sources, quicker downloads) apparently I need to disable my firewall.

I tried this with obvious results (RPC messages killed my computer!) so I need another way. Any suggestions? Can I enable specific ports without endangering my security?
  Send a private message to this user    
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Windows XP & P2P? Thu, 14 October 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Instead of turning off the firewall, find out the port emule uses and tell your firewall to forward that port.

Or just get a decent firewall and start from there.

Tim.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Windows XP & P2P? Thu, 14 October 2004 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You won't need to forward the port, just open it up so that it will allow traffic through on that port.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Windows XP & P2P? Fri, 15 October 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or dont use crappy P2P programs like emule that a chocked up the wazoo with spyware Rolling Eyes

WINMX ALL TEH WAY!

but yeah tell emule to use port 6881 for incoming transmissions and 6999 for outgoing, worked a treat on my wireless router for ABC and WINMX
beterthenu
Regular

June 2004
Re: Windows XP & P2P? Fri, 15 October 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
emule, spyware? since when, its a sourceforge project, but anyway. port 6881 is primarly used for BT not emule. emule will use TCP port 4662 and UDP port 4672. and you dont NEED to have these ports open, only makes services like KAD network work better. to open the ports on windows firewall, go to your connection, right click, properties, advanced, then settings. click add type a description, put your computername in for name or ip address and enter you port numbers in the port number.
and yes any other firewall than M$ firewall would be better,might want to try kerio personal firewall, its free and works good.

EDIT
Theres even a button in emule to open the ports for you. its under preferences, connections.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 October 2004 03:37]

Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Windows XP & P2P? Sat, 16 October 2004 13:59 Go to previous message
Thanks for they replies. Didn't see any button Confused But I forwarded the required ports through connection properties & as a result available files jumped from 200k to 20mil+

Despite that I still can't get what i'm after Mad Any way to jump the queue?

EDIT: Found the button, now that would've been simpler Razz Ah well, least now I know...

[Updated on: Mon, 18 October 2004 10:01]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Do you have stairs in your house?
Next Topic:Buy Brooke's Beast!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 13:42:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0036358833312988 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.