Toymods » General Car Talk » Hello from the "other side of the fence"

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
funkymonkey
Regular

October 2004
Hello from the "other side of the fence" Thu, 14 October 2004 11:11 Go to next message
It started off as a comic (Initial D) that I bought during my exchange program in Japan, and then I watched the anime series on TV, but while I was on holiday in sunny Gold Coast I just happened to see a local 1983 AE86 Sprinter for sale in Nerang.

So I sent the seller an SMS at about 9am and told him that I wanted it no matter what condition it was in, if all he wanted was $450 according to the ad. As I expected an oldish dude rang around 11ish and asked if I was keen. I said I could only come check it out later that arvo and if he could hold it for me. He said yes and was really confused why I wanted it so badly.

As the day progressed he rang back and kept bumping up the price as people were offering him more and more. In the end he said someone was coming down at 2:30 with cash to buy it, so I got off my arse n went and got the car before that.

So now I'm the proud owner of a sack of shit Very Happy It dosen't have a panel on it that dosen't have any rust on it. The guards are a bit more rolled on the inside than usual indicating it had bigger rims on it at one time. The dash is cracked due to heat really badly and it has 478,000 k's on the odo. The indicator stalk it broken off. It drives ok though considering its a carby engine, and its done sooo many k's. And the underbody is dead straight.

I'm organising transport for the car back to my hometown of Melbourne, where I'll start rebuilding the car gradually. I'll be changing it bit by bit to be a replica of Takumi's 86 Trueno in Initial D (something I've always wanted to do) and a bit extra (I'm thinking either 4A-GZE with an HKS 5A kit or a 3S-GTE with some sort of custom turbo setup). I'll be doing most of the work myself.

I might as well introduce myself since I'm new here... My name's Shan, I work for J-Spec Imports as the IT backend person, I speak basic japanese, so access to AE86 Trueno parts and manuals and mags shouldn't be a problem.

I'm also an Admin at Skylines Australia... which means I'm a Nissan person Shocked I currently own an R32 GTS V Selection II which is being converted to an RB25DET with a TD06-25G and a BN Sports Widebody. While my car's off the road, the 86 will become my daily driver. Being a member of SAU, we organise a lot of track days (being CAMS affiliated n all) so the "Hachi Roku wannabe" will try to make an appearance Very Happy

The 86 once done will also sport a Team Super Fun Happy Sliders banner, its basically a spoof of the Jap Drift team names that me and a few mates have made up. I'm in the process of getting our website up and running.

I used to (in 1999) own a toyota sera which I did an engine swap to, from a starlet turbo. So this won't be my first toy... but its sure to be the most fun one I'll have.

Pics soon when the car is back in melb.

I'd like to hear some ideas that you guys would have for the car. I know I'm not the first person to think of making a Initial D replica, but I've wanted to do it for the good part of 7 years since I picked up that comic in Osaka Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Thu, 14 October 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GO the superfunhappysliders!

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/photopost/data/500/256superfunhappysliders.gif

im sooo jealous Razz

Welcome aboard btw! There is heaps of info here on sprinters, crazy conversions, shit for sale.... and heaps of guys who are freindly and always willing to say HELLO!

Good to see you have finally found the "better" product Razz

OK!
Dmonk86
Regular

August 2004
icon10.gif  Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Thu, 14 October 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heya funkymonkey!

I'm pretty new here too, but i'd like to say welcome man! Congrats on the 86 purchase too.. i'm going to get my 86 in november - the red panda!!
I dont know if you've already read, but theres a huge 86 meeting on december 12th for the drift nationals .. heaps of Sydney/Adelaide dudes are coming and lots of 86 toymods people will be there too!
Sounds like you have a mad ass job! dayyym.

Dori dori supah fun happi slllliidaahs! Smile
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Thu, 14 October 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
funkay monkay!!

sup & welcome to toymods!
you might know me from sau and from jspec Wink

http://www.digitalfunk.net/anim-86.gif

hehehe

tell gareth hes a jackass! hehe
funkymonkey
Regular

October 2004
Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Thu, 14 October 2004 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha Garth... I had a feelin I run into you here...

I was tellin Gareth today that I should ring Garth n tell him the good news and have him teach me how to drift my Carby fed beast. I dunno if I'll specifically get mismatched rims like you tho dude, I seem to like age old classis... Tanabes...

As for the Dec 12th meet.... sweeeeet that's my birthday!! lol I dunno what to bring tho, my R32 or my 86... my R32 would be in better shape than the 86 come Dec. Or I might bring the soon to be J-Spec super secret project car.

Dmonk86... yeah job's pretty cool... I get to check out funky ass cars and not have to deal with any clients. But if I screw soemthing up then there'll be a lot of people not getting their daily auction lists n stuff Very Happy Oh and I tend to get yelled at a bit and things thrown at me if the website goes down... lately I've become the coffee bitch too, but I'm trying to get a rotational coffee bitch system happening.

Oh and atm anyone can join the super fun happy sliders... check here for details.
funkymonkey
Regular

October 2004
Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Thu, 14 October 2004 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's a lot of money to be made by offering old people with Toyota Sprinters bottom dollar for their car before they realise how much their car is worth to the potential Driftaholic. Very Happy Its cruel but so much fun.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Thu, 14 October 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh yeah
i have a full set of watanabes now, i rotate them as i feel but i like my purpose mismatch, its like haivng 2 sets of wheels Very Happy Very Happy

theres alredy a takumi replica, right down to the engine!

checkit : http://www.belperformance.com.au/project/ae86na

ps.bring your ae86, we ae86 nutters dont care if ts a boro rusted 86! BRING EM ALLLL!
funkymonkey
Regular

October 2004
Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Thu, 14 October 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but gaijin 86 cannot win on the downhill!

I was thinking of doing a S2000 engine conversion so I could rev the fvcka up to 11000RPM, but then I rang the wrecker in japan and when he started quoting me prices going into the millions of yens I gave up on that.

I'll be happy with a 4A-GZE out of an MR2 with some good tuning, camshafts n gears, better airflow n cooling, upgraded suspension and chassis stiffening (think filling all the chassis rails with polymer).

First things first, I'll have to take the 86 paddock/asphalt bashing to kill the carby engine Very Happy All the guys at work are hanging out to giving the 86 a good rodgering once it gets here so we can really rebuild it from scratch.

PS: that replica is not current... Takumi now has a upgraded TRD tacho and a CF bonnet... That's a season 3 replica, not season 4... which mine will be Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 14 October 2004 12:16]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Thu, 14 October 2004 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol

its your funeral! haha
funkymonkey
Regular

October 2004
Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Fri, 15 October 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gareth sends his warm gooey love Razz

The car has an open diff... we tried to drift it before loading it on the truck... open diffs suck teh ass.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Fri, 15 October 2004 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Someone was selling a new unused 5A kit here in the last few weeks !!!!!

478,000k's is not bad for a little box !!!
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Fri, 15 October 2004 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcome to t o y m o d s! Smile

the december 12 raodtrip aint just for 86's tho, teh soars will be coming Smile
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Fri, 15 October 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heya Funkymonkey! Always good to see another boro hachi hittin the streets.....

It would be funny to see Garth teaching you how to drift tho Razz
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Fri, 15 October 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Fri, 15 October 2004 11:05

Heya Funkymonkey! Always good to see another boro hachi hittin the streets.....

It would be funny to see Garth teaching you how to drift tho Razz

hahaha yeah
funkymonkey
Regular

October 2004
Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Fri, 15 October 2004 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Fri, 15 October 2004 10:32

Someone was selling a new unused 5A kit here in the last few weeks !!!!!

478,000k's is not bad for a little box !!!

Lol I freaked at 400000+ coz my r32's done just under 90,000k's. But when I did the maths its about 23,000k's, so that's ok...
Skein
Regular

November 2002

Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Sat, 16 October 2004 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha when I read 'Hello from the other side of the fence', my first guesses were you were either gay or a Nissan driver Razz

Welcome aboard!
funkymonkey
Regular

October 2004
Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Sat, 16 October 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol... I'm on the phone to my jap agent to track down a 4A-GZE... currently listening to him suck air between his teeth as he writes stuff down and checks out a couple on Yahoo auctions.

Grr that noise is gettin annoying...

I'm thinking either a 4AGZE, or a 4AGE with a 7A conversion now. I contacted a dude in japan who's built a 7Age and he's gonna email me instructions... how excitement... Only problem is he says its not as responsive as the 4AGE, and also the max revs is lower than the 4AGE. Also he reccomends getting custom built internals from Toda... joy...

And yes... at the end of the day I'm still a Nissan driver Very Happy
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Sun, 17 October 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1a is a stroker engine dude
naturally it revs lower and as such less responsive Wink

and yes, stroker 7a's have a have a tendancy to flame on, so best starting with a strong engine
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Sun, 17 October 2004 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't get it - Initial D isn't even that good an anime anyway Razz

Welcome aboard btw!

Look in the tech & conversions section and hunt down any post by Ed_MA61 and his 'ilk' if you are trying to build revable NA engines etc!
funkymonkey
Regular

October 2004
Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Fri, 22 October 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
while looking for trueno parts n 4agze engines in japan a couple of days ago, one of the car yards was selling this car...
http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=1359
soo tempted to bring it down as parts Very Happy but it'd be a shame to rip it apart. Ah well, added it to the mailing list, hopefully someone down under will bring it in.

What amuses me is that it says "SPRINTER" in the back... instead of the usual Trueno badging. A while back (1990's) it was all the rage to make the Trueno's look like their overseas counterparts, so apparently there's a fair few with Sprinter and Corolla GT-S written on it.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Fri, 22 October 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i saw that thing, bit expensive for a drift boonger, but is it a 4AGZE?
meeves
Regular

July 2004
Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Fri, 22 October 2004 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i saw that sprinter for sale last nite $450 for a 86 is a bargain good find mate. crazy how quick it got sold after just looking at it less than 12 hrs ago.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Fri, 22 October 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the sprinter is on the lights right?

thats a stock taillight of all JDM truenos manufactured from 1983 to 1985.
funkymonkey
Regular

October 2004
Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Fri, 22 October 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ended up buying it for $650 because people kept ringing in offering more for it, when it got bumped up to 600 i got the shits and paid cash ($650) n took the keys off em plus the rego papers Very Happy

As for the trueno, the guy said something about the car having a full racing spec NA 16V engine, so I'm guessing the usual N2 spec internals.
funkymonkey
Regular

October 2004
Re: Hello from the "other side of the fence" Fri, 22 October 2004 01:44 Go to previous message
ae86drift wrote on Fri, 22 October 2004 11:40

the sprinter is on the lights right?

thats a stock taillight of all JDM truenos manufactured from 1983 to 1985.

Whoops, I meant GT-S... i found the "sprinter" wierd, since everyone calls em trueno's n levins (well rebin) up there, i don't see many ads for toyota sprinters in japan.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:meaning of 4age?
Next Topic:anyone make this radiator shield thing?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:21:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062088966369629 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.