Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Has BP stopped selling premium?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Has BP stopped selling premium? Thu, 14 October 2004 11:51 Go to next message
I've been to two BP stations recently and they have both removed their premium (95 octane) pumps & replaced them with LRP.

I thought LRP was banned a few years ago? Anyway have they stopped selling their premium to force people to buy Ultimate, or is it just temporary?

It's still listed on their site as a BP product so now i'm confused Confused
  Send a private message to this user    
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Thu, 14 October 2004 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LRP is now Lead Replacement Fuel...

i dont think they've stopped selling it, havent noticed yet Confused
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Thu, 14 October 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I know what LRP is, my old car used to drink enough of it Razz

Quote:

Since the effective prohibition of the supply of leaded petrol since 1 January 2002 when the Fuel Quality Standards Act 2000 came into effect, the supply of Lead Replacement Petrol (LRP), also called Lead Free Super, has been widely available for use in vehicles that formerly used leaded petrol. Alternatively, some vehicles (those manufactured before 1986) are able to run on unleaded petrol. Your vehicle manufacturer will be able to advise you about this.

Now, the number of cars that require LRP has diminished to the point that it is becoming increasingly unviable for fuel suppliers to produce, store and distribute the fuel, and for service stations to supply it.

Accordingly, motorists should expect that LRP will be phased out of the market over time, and to recognise that as the end of 2004 there will be very limited availability of LRP around Australia

http://www.deh.gov.au/atmosphere/cleaner-fuels/pet rol-diesel/phase-out.html

So why have two local stations recently started selling LRP again? Were people getting pissed off buying Premium?

Submitted a question to BP so hopefully i'll get an answer. In the meantime if anyone works for BP please enlighten me.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 October 2004 12:13]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Thu, 14 October 2004 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope
they changed the logo and colour of the pump from gold to blue
but thats it.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Thu, 14 October 2004 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LRP's not being banned its being fazed out cos its not viable for companies to make money off anymore (well heading that way) Next year (from memory) caltex/ampol wont be selling it.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Thu, 14 October 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 22:39

nope
but thats it.

Then why have my local servos stopped selling it? IIRC used to be green, gold & silver pumps for regular, premium & ultimate. Now they've got regular, ultimate & LRP (red pump).

I looked at the pumps just to make sure. Is it a franchise decision?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Thu, 14 October 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think what you'll find is there is more of a market for LRP than there is of premium when the same pump has Ultimate. I don't know of any BP's in Perth that still sell Premium, they all have Ultimate.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Thu, 14 October 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sounds plausible enough Smile I got better much fuel economy with the premium but it wasn't really worth paying extra for the ultimate (at least in performance & economy terms, maybe for another reason?)
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Thu, 14 October 2004 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, I don't have a choice between Premium and Ultimate Razz My old RA60 runs on Ultimate because with more timing I get better fuel economy and more power than I do on regular, with the economy advantage more than offseting the difference in price.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Thu, 14 October 2004 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my difference between regular & premium was close to a litre per 100k's, so now i'll be buying Ultimate Wink
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Fri, 15 October 2004 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 21:11

I don't know of any BP's in Perth that still sell Premium, they all have Ultimate.

BP Carine only just stopped selling BP Premium in the last month.
And thats only because of the new BP logo/colour scheme.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Fri, 15 October 2004 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fwiw: a caltex near Uni Qld had LRP and premium unleaded (vortex?) at the same price.... considering that both have a similar octane rating (in brisbane) i wasn't too concerned...
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Fri, 15 October 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The BP's around my area sell ULP PULP and Ultimate. They have no LRp at all. That was as of two days ago though.
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Fri, 15 October 2004 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My local BP's both have PULP and ultimate, although one is dodgy and can never get thier prices right Mad (sometimes out by 10c/L)

went to fill up at the BP on king georges rd and noticed the LRP instead of premium. So it must just be franchise decisions.
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Fri, 15 October 2004 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the other day when i was at BP i noticed there were no LRP pumps. only unleaded, premium and ultimate. this is at dural.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Fri, 15 October 2004 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok so it seems i'm not alone (thanks CrUZsida & finney!) Still no reply from BP though Sad
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Sun, 17 October 2004 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Thu, 14 October 2004 22:39

nope
but thats it.

i meant ultimate
yes they are all stopping the sae of silver premium
who would bother?
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Sun, 17 October 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 14:47

who would bother?

Umm, me Rolling Eyes Though i'm the only one or so it seems.

Like I said above, from regular to premium was a massive difference, premium to Ultimate not so much of a difference. Given the choice of 93c/L regular, 97c/L premium & $1+/L Ultimate i'd choose the premium every time.

Now I haven't got the choice I guess i'll be forced to use Ultimate instead.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Has BP stopped selling premium? Sun, 17 October 2004 10:20 Go to previous message
Conquest wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 15:21

ae86drift wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 14:47

who would bother?

Umm, me Rolling Eyes Though i'm the only one or so it seems.

Like I said above, from regular to premium was a massive difference, premium to Ultimate not so much of a difference. Given the choice of 93c/L regular, 97c/L premium & $1+/L Ultimate i'd choose the premium every time.

Now I haven't got the choice I guess i'll be forced to use Ultimate instead.

yeah true
you probably notice more economy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What happened to the Vic section?
Next Topic:Crazy Arabs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:28:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054020881652832 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.