Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
sound detoning removal Fri, 15 October 2004 11:50 Go to next message
Hey , just wondering whats the best and easiest way to remove sound detoning in my new 86. I didn't plan on taking it out cause i used a chissle and hammer before to remove dettoning in my old 86 and that was a pain. But now i have to do it cause my passengers side detoning crap is rotting up and smells like crap!!!! (maybe the previous owners daughter threw up in it???) but yeah the carpets stink and now i wanna remove the detoning mainly on the passengers side so the dam smell will go away!. So yeah THANKS JoHnNy_K
  Send a private message to this user    
buccy
Regular

July 2004
Re: sound detoning removal Fri, 15 October 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Air Chisel makes the job easier. Very Happy
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: sound detoning removal Fri, 15 October 2004 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think i've ever heard of an air chisel but is it an expensive tool i don't believe i have one. also i remembered that a heat gun? does the trick hell easy is this true ??? THANKS JoHnNY_K
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: sound detoning removal Fri, 15 October 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no idea mate. I used a paint scraper and chisel for what was left of mine.

BTW it is "deadening" Smile
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: sound detoning removal Sat, 16 October 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have used heat gun and scraper to good effect, petrol is good to clean up what is left.

One method I don't recommend (unless like me you are transferring a large section of one car to another and can sit it out in the open) is pouring a bit of petrol on and light it. Wait till it goes out then just scrape it off easy as.

Callum
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: sound detoning removal Sat, 16 October 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Purple_Beasty i've heard the heat gun and scraper was the most effective so i'll guess all thats left is for me to get one. Just wondering if these things are pricy????
mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: sound detoning removal Sat, 16 October 2004 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had only a small amount of deadnin left right up my firewall, so bought a heat gun from bunnings for $39.95. no name bunnings brand, but it did the trick. (P.S. all the other deadning was removed earlier, but only did the section on the firewall when ALL the dash was removed..)
d-shiznit
Regular

May 2004
Re: sound detoning removal Sun, 17 October 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HEy!

I just did mine a few weeks ago. Used a chisel and hammer and then acetone...
Only problem is it took ages and on parts there are little bits of deadening still left that the chisel missed...
Someone told me to try a wirebrush attachment on an angle grinder.. havne't tried it yet though!
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: sound detoning removal Sun, 17 October 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cover in dry ice
leave for 20 mins
then hammer and chisel

easy
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: sound detoning removal Sun, 17 October 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm curious!

Why do you guys go to all the effort of removing the deadening stuff?
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: sound detoning removal Sun, 17 October 2004 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My car is already abit loud in cabin...

How much louder does it make it without the sound deadening ?

abit loud -> going deaf quick loud ?

How about drone ?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: sound detoning removal Sun, 17 October 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we remove it cause it weighs a shit load, rip it all out and thats abouit 25-35 kgs worth of tar!

it all adds up

and yes car will be louder inside
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sound detoning removal Sun, 17 October 2004 15:09 Go to previous message
I tried dry ice after reading some things on club 4ag. It is a waste of time when compared to a heat gun (not a hair drier)and a scraper.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:anybody know where to find these please??
Next Topic:ct26 turbos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 13:30:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065710544586182 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.