Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Overheating but not....wtf?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
icon5.gif  Overheating but not....wtf? Thu, 14 October 2004 14:26 Go to next message
Yo,

So i got the soarer back tonight and started her up running like a dream apart from a little fan belt noise and my cat convertor temp sensor dragging along the ground Rolling Eyes

Anyway so im driving home and we stopped to put in some petrol, after leaving the servo the temperature guage started going up every time i accelerated and then backed off when I started to slow down, this was wierd and it seemed to me like it was a BHG but that seemed rather unlikely, anyway i got to town and checked the motor, the radiator cap was no hotter than it should have been at normal temps but the guage was reading in the absolute red which didnt seem right, kept driving anyway becuase if the motor was fucked then the car was getting thrown off a cliff anyway Mad

Kept driving and the temp guage would jump up and down up to three bars at a time, which seemed really wierd, check the coolant levels, totally normal and there is pressure in the top and bottom hoses and they dont at all feel hot.

The coolant is not overflowing or boiling but the guage was reading in the red.

Has anyone heard of a car reading that hot but not bubbling or squirting?

My mates have told me that if the HG was blown then it would be overflowing and boiling and the same if the thermostat was blocked is this correct?

Could it be a faulty guage or rooted temp sender?

if so then where do i find the temp sender on a 1GGTE and where can I hook up a mechanical guage.

Your assitance in this matter is much appreciated Smile

Cheers in advance Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Thu, 14 October 2004 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL why is this happening to everyone now... i would be looking at the thurmostat or water pump.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Thu, 14 October 2004 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah but your car was overheating wasnt it? I read something about that breifly when i glanced in your thread Smile

Mine isnt actually overheating Smile
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Thu, 14 October 2004 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know but similar problems your getting into the reds as am i, mine fluctuates as well at times it gets really hot then comes bcak down and then goes back up... or sometimes it will just go right up... but i do have simptons of a blown HG. This is why i said check your water pump or thurmostat... because one of them may not be opening properly or the water pump my have crap running through it or not function properly.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Thu, 14 October 2004 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm, yeah but if there was a blockage in either the water pump or the thermostat then there would be symptoms of overheating, correct?
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Thu, 14 October 2004 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brad, what kind of readings are you getting from your temp gauge?

A new temp sender from Toyota should set you back about $50. Shocked

I'm also getting a mechanical gauge hooked up to mine becauase the polarities between the GT-Four sender and the old RAV4 sender are reversed. Confused
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Thu, 14 October 2004 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew, I have ems im using the hand set to get readings, there digital. When the car is perfect it stays between 77deg - 84deg... when she gets hot it gets up to 110deg... i dont dare let it get hotter i switch the car off and roll at that point.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Fri, 15 October 2004 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speco mechanical guages from sprints are about $50 and they work a treat, i had one on my old commie after the temp guage died and it worked quite well, although i have no idea where to screw it into on my motor, do i have to tap my own thread? Confused cos im not too keen on doing that
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Fri, 15 October 2004 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any more ideas here??
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Fri, 15 October 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How is your coolant? What type are you running - Toyota red or the generic green stuff?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Fri, 15 October 2004 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Fri, 15 October 2004 15:42

How is your coolant? What type are you running - Toyota red or the generic green stuff?

actually i must confess it is just plain old distilled water untill tomorrow, that was the mechanics idea to flush out the gunk.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Fri, 15 October 2004 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The temp guage runs off a small temp sensor, just one wire.
Near that there should be a 2 pin green connector/sensor.
That is the ecu temp guage.

When it gets up to 'normal' temp (ie, 5ish mins of idling after you turn it on, so that you KNOW its not over heating), remove the clip and test the resistance.

When it gets up to uber hot, repeat the test.
See if there is a difference in resistance.

The table at the bottom MAY be of use
Its made for the single terminal sensor (guage one, not ecu one)
But try it anyway
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM_MKII/be /BE_031.html
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Fri, 15 October 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers cruz Very Happy
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Sat, 16 October 2004 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I found the ECU Temp Sensor page I was looking for
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM_MKII/fi/FI_072.gif

Use this to check how hot the engine water is.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Sat, 16 October 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
she no load for me Sad

changed the thermostat and the sender unit today, still reads hot but the cap and top and bottom hoses are very much not hot, still not pushing fluid out of the overflow or top of radiator, still very very puzzled, im gonna hook up a mechanical guage next week into the bottom hose.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Sat, 16 October 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can hold your hand on the radiator top and bottom tank, I'd say its not flowing properly
Get it flushed.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Sun, 17 October 2004 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it gets flushed and bled of air tomorrow
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Sun, 17 October 2004 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
general rule of thumb is that if you can hold your hand on something then its under 50 degrees C
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Sun, 17 October 2004 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i can hold my hand on it no problems Smile
Pure_In_Sanity
Regular

October 2004
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Sun, 17 October 2004 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would definately check for air locks in the cooling system, is the heater getting hot?? run the engine with the radiator cap off until it gets to operating temparature, keeping the radiator full. a funnel made out of a coke bottle with some tape to wedge in the top makes it easier, keeping a nice high point for the air to bubble up to.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Sun, 17 October 2004 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what you are saying is to get a 2l coke bottle, cut it in half and stick the top of the bottle into the top of the radiator? should I put liquid into the bottle?

this is a good idea please fill me in a little more Smile
Pure_In_Sanity
Regular

October 2004
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Sun, 17 October 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah cut the bottom of a 1.25L. Put some electrical tape around the neck so it seals in the radiator, fill it up with water/coolant and run engine to bleed out any air that may be in the system. Some vehicles may also have a bleed screw at a high point in the cooling system i.e. thermostat housing, if you find one (may have a label saying do not open when hot), open it while the coke funnel is full, and wait until theres a steady stream of water coming out of the screw hole (no bubbles). keep the funnel full until the thermostat is open (both top and bottom hoses for radiator will be hot).
Good Luck
-Phil
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Sun, 17 October 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers phil I will try it when i get home, does anyone have any idea where the bleed screw fo a 1GGTE is located??
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Sun, 17 October 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The easiest way I've found to do my cars is to jack the front of the car up (putting it on ramps is better), undo the radiator cap and run the car till it stops bubbling. Top it up, and then she should be alright.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Overheating but not....wtf? Sun, 24 October 2004 14:13 Go to previous message
Well I got my issues with cooling seemingly sorted now. Replaced the thermostat with a 71° TRD unit, switched over the coolant in both cooling systems for the Toyota Red (with proper mix ratios), even made up a heatshield to come off the exhaust manifold so it doesn't have as much of an effect on the water-air intercooler which sits right above it. Add to that the Autometer water temp gauge that was installed in the cabin (and doesn't exceed 170°F or about 75°C) and this problem has been sorted out. When the engine shuts off after a peak-hour drive, I always listen to the radiator overflow bottle just in case... so far so good. However I can still put my hand on the radiator cap (TRD 1.3Bar cap) and hold it there. It's like it's just above "warm".

Now all I need to do is get my fuel pump to run a bit quieter and get the ECU issues sorted out. Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cone Air Filter Size? What size is right for a 4agte?
Next Topic:1989 Corolla seca csx ideas
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 09:53:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051500797271729 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.