Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » what LS center is this?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
what LS center is this? Sun, 17 October 2004 03:14 Go to next message
hey guys

just picked myself up a disk to disk set up for my 86. opened it up and i have no idea how to identify the center....im pretty damn sure its 2 way but dont know what brand...i assume trd but i thought i might post some pics maybe someone will be able to tell (not that i know how) i also have a serial NR off a sticker on the diff ...in case there is somewhere were i can search for this ...the little piece of paper says..."trueno ae86-FC....bunch of japanese charecters......a200401231324a"

here are some pics as well....if any 1 knows plz help me with this mystery Very Happy

Adam

(btw the photos were taken with the demtel $50 digi cam so the quality is not what u would call fantastic Laughing its the only one i could get my hands on in that short ammount of time so plz dont laugh)

http://student.cbs.curtin.edu.au/~13052803/diff1.jpg

http://student.cbs.curtin.edu.au/~13052803/diff2.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 17 October 2004 03:26]

Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: what LS center is this? Sun, 17 October 2004 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
disregard the sticker the centre could have been changed a number of times.

look for part number on the centre. not on the ratio or carrier
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: what LS center is this? Sun, 17 October 2004 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah...its too late...the thing is back together and half on my car now....so yeah...all i have is these pics..and im pretty sure the sticker is like brand new...so im kind of 90% sure that the part nr on the sticker is the center thats in it

Adam
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what LS center is this? Sun, 17 October 2004 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It looks like a TRD LSD center to me. I have one in my car also, 4 pinion. You need to take it apart to tell if its 2-way or 1.5-way or 1-way. No numbers will be on the LSD unit, none on mine.
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: what LS center is this? Sun, 17 October 2004 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey when u put urs in was the bit the tail shaft bolts onto on the opposite side to aussie open ones? i just put mine on but have to change the damn exhaust as the tailshaft hits my muffler!!! grrr soo annoyed! Mad

Adam
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what LS center is this? Sun, 17 October 2004 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Weird. It sounds like you bolted the center in up-side-down!!!!! Funny. Check that you don't go backwards when in 1st, and forwards when in reverse.
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: what LS center is this? Mon, 18 October 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha nah i dont think so because one of the studs comming out of the diff is longer then the rest and that coresponds to the bit on the center that has a thicker bit so it can only go in one way, also whats the deal with the tailshaft....looks like the housing is longer or somethign because the center bearing wont mount up as its moved foreward like 3 cm....any ideas any1?

Adam
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what LS center is this? Mon, 18 October 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you had a Aussie Sprinter with S series 6.38" diff, and put in a Jap spec T series 6.7" complete rear end, and the tailshaft does not fit right? Sounds normal to me. Try getting a tailshaft from a TE72 "T18 SE", and I think you use half of that with half of the Sprinter tailshaft.
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: what LS center is this? Mon, 18 October 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe just forced the center bearing foreward more...will fix it up later just trying to get it all going...cant wait to drive to exhaust shop just on headers Very Happy

thanx for ur help

also which half with which half....i know i should search but im lazy Cool

Adam
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: what LS center is this? Mon, 18 October 2004 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you need a t18(te72) tailshaft. it is slightly shorter than the s series item and you'll need that.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what LS center is this? Mon, 18 October 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A little offtopic...

Jonny: You're using a Celica RA2x diff aren't you? Did you have to shorten the axles to fit in the TRD LSD?

Would the T-series center even bolt in to the S-series housing? I didn't think it would...

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: what LS center is this? Mon, 18 October 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would the T-series center even bolt in to the S-series housing? No
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what LS center is this? Mon, 18 October 2004 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am using a Celica RA23 diff housing. Its the same as RA28 and TA23. TA22 is narrower I think. Anyway, the RA23 housing is the perfect width for my KE55. I now have a RA40 carrier (they are more common than older ones) and it fits exactly the same, as do any other T series carriers. Except with the RA40 and AE86, one stud needs to be longer. I have a one piece tailshaft from a TA22, shortened 50mm. I also have a TRD LSD from a AE86. This is the LSD part only, in the RA40 carrier, with RA40 4.1:1 ratio. I had also used a center from a RT132 Corona.

No, I did not have to shorten the axles. But I ground off about 1mm from either just incase they were touching.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what LS center is this? Mon, 18 October 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonny: Excellent, thanks for that. I have an RA28 housing in mine, broken locked TA22 center (after only a week in the car). I'm still looking for a TRD center, I want to get the 4.3 gears too. In the meantime am looking for another TA22 center.

Have noticed the pinion flange is different between the TA22 and RA28 centers, made things a little interesting when I got my tailshaft back... Not sure what my tailshaft is out of, possibly AE86. Was set up for the stock KE35 diff, shortened slightly to fit the RA28 diff.

How did you grind the axles? Just a simple angle grind job? Or a proper lathe job? Does it need to be perfect?
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: what LS center is this? Mon, 18 October 2004 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys got the diff in...just curious how do i test if its 2 way? hang it and then back off rapidly see if it snaps?

Very Happy

Adam
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what LS center is this? Mon, 18 October 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grinding the axles is for clearance only. You can do it with a angle grinder or bench grinder, if needed.

A tailshaft for a KE35 diff will not fit the flange of a Celica diff. But I have found the flange on all Celica diffs are the same, afaik. My TA22 taishaft fits RA23/RA40/RT132 diffs.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what LS center is this? Mon, 18 October 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I got the flange for my broken RA28 center put onto the tailshaft, and then discovered when I got the tailshaft back that it wouldn't bolt onto my TA22 center... 2 of the holes lined up, the other 2 didn't so I just redrilled the pinion flange.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: what LS center is this? Mon, 18 October 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are u still after a centre fook...I have one hear if your interested....I have one from a ta22 or a ra40 which i think are the same arent they
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what LS center is this? Mon, 18 October 2004 10:55 Go to previous message
Should be the same... And yes, am after a center, even if it's only temporary until I can find an LSD...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:KE35 Engine Conversions. What are my options
Next Topic:Toyota diesel engines, 4cyl suggestion for alternator set.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 00:17:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058200359344482 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.