Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sprockett
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Wed, 22 September 2004 18:35 Go to next message

I am wondering how compatible some parts are between these 2 cars. In particular, I am trying to source an LSD for my gz20 and wondering if the MA70 unit will fit.

In canada, all MA70 turbo cars came with LSD standard. I can get a entire pumpkin from a supra but wondering if the carrier will bolt up or if the differential it's self will have to be swapped into the gz20 carrier.

Any input of experience would be appreciated,

Ryan
  Send a private message to this user    
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Wed, 22 September 2004 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will be a G series diff...

MA70/JZA70 are G series.

JZZ30 and JZA80 are not the same.

I also have a G series Torsen LSD centre for sale.

Some Hilux's have G series housings/centres too.

[Updated on: Thu, 23 September 2004 07:39]

Sprockett
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Wed, 22 September 2004 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

[Updated on: Fri, 15 October 2004 22:20]

Sprockett
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Fri, 15 October 2004 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not a G series diff. Axle code reads F282 for 7.5" ring gear. I still don't get why TRD Japan lists the same part for this car as the MA/GA70 Supra...as they did have a G series diff.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Sat, 16 October 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much would you be after for the LSD center danish?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Sat, 16 October 2004 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sprockett wrote on Sat, 16 October 2004 06:22

Not a G series diff. Axle code reads F282 for 7.5" ring gear. I still don't get why TRD Japan lists the same part for this car as the MA/GA70 Supra...as they did have a G series diff.

Umm, that build plate sounds bunky. GZ20's all had 4-pinion G-series diffs...hence the diffs are listed the same as the GA/MA70.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Sat, 16 October 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I've never heard of a GZ20 with an F diff. Are you sure it's not a GZ10?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Sat, 16 October 2004 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like The Romanian Mob have been out performing some 'compliancing' again Very Happy
Sprockett
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Sat, 16 October 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.qrgarage.ca/gz20.htm

This is my car. Definitely not a GZ10. Below is the VIN plate. This is quite...wierd to hear that everyone is so sure that it's a G-Series diff. Lucky I looked I guess Shocked

Anyone have other thoughts?

http://www.qrgarage.ca/img/gz20/vin.jpg

[Updated on: Sat, 16 October 2004 23:24]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Sun, 17 October 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe its only the MZ20's that have G series diff?

sounds kookie either way
Sprockett
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Sun, 17 October 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also...my Toyota JDM EPC says it's an 1998-02 production Soarer based upon the Frame No....as below

http://www.qrgarage.ca/img/gz20/epc.jpg
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Sun, 17 October 2004 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well there ya go, that's new! Even GA70 Supra's have a G series diff, so it's quite surprising to see some xZ20 Soarer's have an F diff.

Anyway, back to your original question; if you want an LSD, you can either source a second-hand one from a MA61 Supra, or fork out for a new one. There are a range of aftermarket LSD centres available for F diffs - I'm using a TrueTrac helical-type LSD in my F diff and I highly recommend it.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Sun, 17 October 2004 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I'll be blowed. I'd understand if it was a povo spec 1GGEU version, or even the early pre-revision model, but thats nuts. Every other GZ20 I've come across has had a G-series. I wonder what would be involved in swapping across...
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Sun, 17 October 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that's news to me!

Mine is an 1986 GZ20, manual W57 with a G series open diff.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Sun, 17 October 2004 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am guessing then the GZ20 soarer doesn't have a LSD center in it as standard??? If it does whats the marking code on the plate?
Sprockett
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Sun, 17 October 2004 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LSD was an option.

I got a link to chassis info page from this forum somewhere and it listed all gz20 models to have various F series diff...but obviously that's not correct either.

If it were LSD the code would be F283 in this case. Last digit is an odd number in the case of LSD.

Ryan
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Mon, 18 October 2004 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20Information/To yota%20Differentials%20Identifications.htm

Here is a link to the information I was looking for, it will tell you what diff you have by your axle code.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Mon, 18 October 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So if the marking plate says G254 its a no-LSD diff yeah...damn could have fooled me a couple of times.. Whats it cost anyways to get one and put it in..anyone know
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Mon, 18 October 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn looking at Danish's Link i have a damn 4.56 ration..Damn and i thought it had 4.11. Shit that low.. But its not an LSD.. Damn so close to being perfect..What do most GZ20 run anyway..
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Mon, 18 October 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes my diff is quite long. Track down a G series LSD out of a MA70 from a wrecker with housing. Put that in, if it's too worn, keep that housing and put in another centre.

I think i'll do this for Mallala if I can't get someone to put my centre in for a reasonable price.
Sprockett
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Mon, 18 October 2004 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you believe the MA70 carrier will bolt up to the GZ20 subframe? That was my original question Smile Do you know this for a fact or guessing?

Thanks,
Ryan
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Mon, 18 October 2004 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fours N More says it does. I will get further confirmation on Thursday/Friday.

I think I might get a stock MA70 carrier with LSD and sell my Torsen G series LSD.
Sprockett
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Mon, 18 October 2004 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Danish...I'd really appreciate an update if you get it.

Ryan
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Mon, 18 October 2004 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok can someone clarify something for me here.
On my firewall, the plate that shows gearbox (w55) engine number (22re....) etc
The diff code is f372
now according to this http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20Information/To yota%20Differentials%20Identifications.htm

That means i have a 2 pinion LSD in my car. Did the ra65 ever come out with this as an option or was it just like this stock.
Sprockett
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Mon, 18 October 2004 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
> The diff code is f372

the 2 at the end means 2 pinion...no LSD. If it were LSD it would be 3.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Mon, 18 October 2004 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm still trying to work out why Sprocketts car got a an F series diff!

What advantage/disadvantage does that have?
Sprockett
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Mon, 18 October 2004 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translate this page:

http://www.apple2world.jp/soarer/HIS/level1.html

Suggest both F and G were available. Advantage? no idea...means I have more options for a replacement LSD then with a G Smile Obviously it's not as strong a unit as a G...not sure which models would have which...I wonder if the carrier is the same? Still baffled why TRD lists only one part number for all GZ20.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Mon, 18 October 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sprockett wrote on Tue, 19 October 2004 01:44

> The diff code is f372

the 2 at the end means 2 pinion...no LSD. If it were LSD it would be 3.

ok thanks for that. i didnt read the list properly.
looks like i have a open diff that wants to be an lsd. will spin both wheels up in the dry in a staight line but singles around corners. always spins both up in the wet
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Tue, 19 October 2004 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My plate says i have a G314. Anyone tell me what that means? I know it's a G series with 4 pinions, that's about all i can find, nothing on google, toymods or supraforums.com about this diff code. I thought it was an open diff, but then i left 2 burnout marks the other day, and i'm thinking possibly worn out LSD?!
i'm confusued.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Tue, 19 October 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Tue, 19 October 2004 13:49

My plate says i have a G314. Anyone tell me what that means? I know it's a G series with 4 pinions, that's about all i can find, nothing on google, toymods or supraforums.com about this diff code. I thought it was an open diff, but then i left 2 burnout marks the other day, and i'm thinking possibly worn out LSD?!
i'm confusued.

http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20Information/To yota%20Differentials%20Identifications.htm
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Tue, 19 October 2004 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you, and my suspisions are confirmed, 3.9 open diff piece of clunking crap!

danish you have a buyer for your torsen right here!
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Tue, 19 October 2004 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do? Smile
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Tue, 19 October 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes Surprised
let me know when your ready to sell.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Tue, 19 October 2004 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tempted to let it loose right now, but want some info from my mechanic first on other options I have for my car. I will probably know by Thurs/Friday.
davidsunny42
Newcomer

March 2005
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Sat, 12 March 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will your 4.56 fit my ke30 if so how much do you want for it
cheers
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Sat, 12 March 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. G series diffs are about 10 times bigger than a KE30 diff.
2. The last post in this thread is 5 months old. Pay attention to the dates before replying.
Sprockett
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Sat, 12 March 2005 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any update as to whether the G series MA70 carrier will bolt up to the GZ20 subframe? Are the axles and all the same as well?
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Compatibily between MA70 and GZ20 diff Sat, 12 March 2005 22:25 Go to previous message
Exactly the same.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Apexi SAFC
Next Topic:JZX81 Struts Q
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 11:55:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074639320373535 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.