Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Caltex, Vortex Wed, 13 October 2004 21:30 Go to next message
I just wanted to say that this fuel SUCKS!

It was an emergency and I only put 10 dollars in to get me down the freeway. Basically I couldnt go over 2500rpm. If i did the engine would surge and choke.

I had to use the truck lane and go 40kmph up some hills near mooney mooney/Mt white. Trucks were overtaking me like I was standing still.

Its a JDM GZE. It loves synergy and ultimate. Damn you caltex!

[Updated on: Tue, 26 October 2004 14:27]

Send a private message to this user    
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Castrol, Vortex Wed, 13 October 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup

just stick with the ultimate and u can never go wrong Wink
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Castrol, Vortex Thu, 14 October 2004 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i put that castrol crap in my sr20det silvia and it wasnt even hitting boost and my car kept stalling. I had to drain it out clean the whole throttle out and get a new fuel filter. I found out that castrol vortex is only 95 octane to.
I know who i can trust now Bp ultimate
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Castrol, Vortex Thu, 14 October 2004 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Eyes
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Castrol, Vortex Thu, 14 October 2004 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the matter cool 1?
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Castrol, Vortex Thu, 14 October 2004 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had nothing but joy from the Vortex.

On the other hand, I am running a 5sFe that'd likely be happy on kerosene!!
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Castrol, Vortex Thu, 14 October 2004 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah my motor is used to running 98 octane as regular. Jap spec. So i can only run synergy 98 or ultimate 98.

It serves me right for using vortex 95. But it was an emergency.
Perhaps I got a bad batch. Twin freeway servos near wyong NSW.

I didnt think that having 3 less octane would make such a big difference! Confused
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Castrol, Vortex Thu, 14 October 2004 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Fri, 15 October 2004 08:51

yeah my motor is used to running 98 octane as regular. Jap spec. So i can only run synergy 98 or ultimate 98.

It serves me right for using vortex 95. But it was an emergency.
Perhaps I got a bad batch. Twin freeway servos near wyong NSW.

I didnt think that having 3 less octane would make such a big difference! Confused

Depends on how aggressive your ignition timing map is. If it's assuming 98 octane is the WORST it'll ever drink, then yeah - you're up sh!t creek without a bottle of octane boost, trying to run 95 in it.

All hail to the knock-sensor, and adaptive E.C.U'S

HURRAH! Very Happy
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Castrol, Vortex Thu, 14 October 2004 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Fri, 15 October 2004 08:44

good ole 5sfe's Razz

they old girl would probaly run on some home brew if asked politley.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Castrol, Vortex Fri, 15 October 2004 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Fri, 15 October 2004 09:48

st184 sillycar wrote on Fri, 15 October 2004 08:44

good ole 5sfe's Razz

they old girl would probaly run on some home brew if asked politley.

Do Whiskey and olive oil mix well?
mideon_696
Regular

October 2004
Re: Castrol, Vortex Fri, 15 October 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
caltex vortex is not shit, and i think ur full of shit, if u say u had to change filter etc in yer silvia.........the fuel is good, great in fact, just depends on ignition timing map, like other guy said. it definately would not have wrecked ur filter!

but... i too have had trubles with it, my old slightly worked r31 pintara wouldn't run properly on anything other than 98octane either
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Castrol, Vortex Fri, 15 October 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just wondering what people think of optimax??

i usually move around BP ultimate and premium and get no hassles from the car. Once before work i couldn't get to a BP in time so i put in some optimax and the car ran like shit (rougher and a bit laggy compared to normal). put in some ultimate and there were no problems
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: Castrol, Vortex Fri, 15 October 2004 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=st184 sillycar wrote on Fri, 15 October 2004 08:55

HURRAH! Very Happy [/quote]

dats funny Laughing Laughing Laughing
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Castrol, Vortex Fri, 15 October 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
finney wrote on Fri, 15 October 2004 16:06

just wondering what people think of optimax??

i usually move around BP ultimate and premium and get no hassles from the car. Once before work i couldn't get to a BP in time so i put in some optimax and the car ran like shit (rougher and a bit laggy compared to normal). put in some ultimate and there were no problems

I've noticed the same problem with Optimax, car runs a little slower compared to BP Premium or Ultimate.

I remember Nark posted a little while ago that his car runs hotter & i've also read on this site that Optimax is not guaranteed 98 octane, though I don't know if that's true.

EDIT: Here's the link about Optimax

[Updated on: Fri, 15 October 2004 07:40]

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Castrol, Vortex Fri, 15 October 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I use Optimax and Ultimate and the engine doesn't car either way. It runs great with both. However, it doesn't like anything with lower octane 'cos it pings a bit and doesn't have as much "get up & go".

I haven't tried Vortex, but there's enough BP and Shell stations around the place, so I don't need to go to Caltex.

seeyuzz
river
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Castrol, Vortex Fri, 15 October 2004 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Optimax is the go, i tried bp premium, wasn't as good, not as responsive and didn't get as good economy, then again premuim is 95 ron.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Castrol, Vortex Fri, 15 October 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i felt horrible when i put vortex in my car... and also ampol gold..d oesent run nearly as good as bp ultimate.. only put 10 bucks in.. ran it down and gave it 50 bucks of ultimate
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Castrol, Vortex Sat, 16 October 2004 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
olihaub wrote on Fri, 15 October 2004 17:15

st184 sillycar wrote on Fri, 15 October 2004 08:55

HURRAH! Very Happy

dats funny Laughing Laughing Laughing

Why so?

Modern ECU's + knock sensors ROCK!

-'80s and mid 90s Jap cars DON't have modern ECU's, btw.

C'mon - how good are the computers in current aussie "low-tech crapheaps" ? Both BA Foulcan and VZ Commondore have limp-home capabilities (The MOTOR magazine XR6-T limped a whole Targa Tasmania stage with no water or waterpump!), continually adapt the spark advance to run just under the ping-limit, and will run 90-octance crap while making more power+economy from 98-octance. GOLD!
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Castrol, Vortex Sun, 17 October 2004 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've noticed the BEST results from Vortex. So Its interesting to hear you make these comments. A mechanic friend of mine recommends Vortex as he gets the best power results from his tuning experiences with it.
ROLLA GTi
Regular

September 2003
Re: Castrol, Vortex Sun, 17 October 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its Caltex not Castrol

and yes it sucks
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Castrol, Vortex Sun, 17 October 2004 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T APLUS 22 wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 13:08

I've noticed the BEST results from Vortex. So Its interesting to hear you make these comments. A mechanic friend of mine recommends Vortex as he gets the best power results from his tuning experiences with it.

which mechanic is this? (so i can stay far, far away from his tuning)
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Castrol, Vortex Mon, 18 October 2004 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought you'd be smart enough to know different cars with different timing will perform differently with different fuels.
btw, he's a highly respected in what he does. Also note, from NSW.
ROLLA GTi
Regular

September 2003
Re: Castrol, Vortex Mon, 18 October 2004 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate its common kwoledge that 98ron fuels will get better results than 95 or 96 like vortex, im sure you will find alot of people will be shocked about your mechanic thinking its better

[Updated on: Mon, 18 October 2004 11:23]

fractoid
Regular

September 2004
Re: Castrol, Vortex Mon, 18 October 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Weird, I notice no performance difference between Vortex and Ultimate (on a 7M-GTE) and slightly better economy on the Vortex. Maybe you just got it from a crappy petrol station, and got water or lumps of crap in your tank?

I was getting a lift with a friend of mine once and he had some drops of water in the petrol tank, the car kept stalling then catching again, it was scary.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Castrol, Vortex Mon, 18 October 2004 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In a performance situation, there is nothing about Vortex that would make it come good over any 98RON fuel, especially Ultimate 98.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Castrol, Vortex Mon, 18 October 2004 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROLLA GTi wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 15:37

Its Caltex not Castrol

and yes it sucks

HAHAA
yeah I found this out on the way to work when I drove past caltex. W0opS
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Castrol, Vortex Mon, 18 October 2004 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 15:45

BWAHAHAHA
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Castrol, Vortex Tue, 19 October 2004 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T APLUS 22 wrote on Mon, 18 October 2004 19:56

I thought you'd be smart enough to know different cars with different timing will perform differently with different fuels.
btw, he's a highly respected in what he does. Also note, from NSW.

Exactly. If your engine's tuned for 92ron ULP, and it's too dumb to realise it's sucking on premium brew, there's really no point putting in PULP, except for the marginal fuel economy gains, and the extra detergent-packs in Premium (why I buy it sometimes).

I find my g/f's 96 V6 Magna starts getting really sluggish, and idles weird when it's been on ULP for 3-4 tanks. A good run on Vortex, BP Ultimate, etc. etc. fixes its wagon right up.
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Caltex, Vortex Tue, 19 October 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used either vortex or optimax in my old charade turbo. when it had a tank of vortex, it was like someone had taken away my turbo Crying or Very Sad
mideon_696
Regular

October 2004
Re: Caltex, Vortex Tue, 26 October 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah my car runs a treat on vortex, economy is really no different to that of optimax, neither is performance!
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Castrol, Vortex Wed, 27 October 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Tue, 19 October 2004 06:16

ed_ma61 wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 15:45

BWAHAHAHA

Blow me
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Caltex, Vortex Wed, 27 October 2004 12:44 Go to previous message
I was only mucking around bro. chill Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what are AE101 Trueno/Levins like?
Next Topic:Camry Vienta Suspension
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 16:26:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010954856872559 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.