Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Iceman
Regular

January 2003
icon5.gif  Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Wed, 29 January 2003 04:25 Go to next message
Does any one know where to go for a manual transmission conversions to cressidas? I have heard of it being done once or twice, but never where it was done. The Supra and the Cressida both have the same engine. So one would think that the "front end" from a smashed Supra would fit in the Cressida.
But i'm only looking to change the transmission. Apparently the '88 supra gearbox will fit.... i've heard some ppl have had trouble with the "bell housing" being the wrong shape.

Can anybody help?
  Send a private message to this user    
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Fri, 07 February 2003 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most people do it themselves

manuals from any 5mge or 7mge supras will fit
u just need to get a different clutch pedal
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Mon, 10 February 2003 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i like the cressida supra lol...looks alright surprisingly. yeah any w58 would be ok...5me off ma61...a lot of them r ok.
Browndog
Regular

November 2002
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Mon, 10 February 2003 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you may have seen this I got it from another thred in the forums, this is the list of part you need for the clutch, this is for an MX83 I think.

Quote from stevevp:

AS THERE WAS SO MANY EMAILS HERES THE LIST:

Pedal Box TO-5510722200 $96-00 list price (aus)
Pedal TO-3131022070 $74-00 ""
pedal shaft TO-9010110039 $3.78
collar TO-9038710003 $8.54
bushpedal x2 TO-9038613192 $3.23
spring TO-9050845001 $16-00
prn m/c rad TO-9024008006 $3.23
Bush cl m/c rod TO-9038608002 $9.86
grommet TO-9046816142 $1.36
cushion TO-9054106008 $3.03
Pad clutch TO-3132114020 $4.44
clutch tube TO-3148122350 $59.00
clutch hose TO-9093101058 $47.00
slave cyl TO-3147022101 $97.00
mast cyl TO-3141022132 $200.00

this is the list guys, enjoy.
Mick.R (chasing a dream)
mranieri@ozemail.com.au

I'm guessing all the lugs and thing are there for these parts to attach onto (in an MX82), I would like to know for sure if they are or not??

[Updated on: Mon, 10 February 2003 11:51]

Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Mon, 10 February 2003 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what year/model cressida are u wanting to convert?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 11 February 2003 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok stuff you will need...

Bell housing and Gearbox: Any 5M 6M or 7M (non turbo)
    * 5M-E to W58 (MA61 supra) or
    * 5M-GE to W58 (MA61 Import? Supra)
    * 6M-GE to W58? (these are an import motor..can't remember what from, Crowns, Supras I think)
    * 7M-GE to W58 (MA71 Supra, Soarer (not suer if they came in manual?)

Flywheel: As for bell hosing

Clutch and throwout bearing etc

Clutch master, slave, clutch fork and hydraulic lines (from any manual car with W58?)

Clutch pedal and New brake pedal (as you old one will get in the way of the clutch)

Lengthen / shorten driveshaft.

Gearbox (W58) and Gearbox cross member (custom / rework existing W58 one).

There is a lot to converting a car to manual! (and i have probably forgotten stuff!) There is also another option and that is to use a W50 out of an old Crown such as Peewee has done!

Cheers
Wilbo

Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 11 February 2003 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just FYI
you'll need about $1000 for the conversion if u do it yourself
and about $300 more if u use a W58
Browndog
Regular

November 2002
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 12 October 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about the ECU will that get upset at not having the auto there? Its a 1992 MX83.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 October 2004 02:24]

wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 12 October 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also a cheap way to make the brake pedal fit: cut the sides off until the manual brake pedal rubber pad fits over.

Total cost: one hacksaw blade & some elbow grease.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 12 October 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, the ecu won't care that the auto isn't there.
But you will just have to trick it into thinking the car is in neutral all the time, so that you can start it.

And you may have the OverDrive OFF light flashing all the time, but you can just remove the bulb.

And don't be surprised if the cruise control doesn't work anymore. (the box NEEDS to be in 'D' to have the cruise engage)
Browndog
Regular

November 2002
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Sun, 17 October 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow ppl want big bucks to do this $2000 + gearbox, I was thinking $1000 + box would be ok.
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Mon, 18 October 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a complete clutch pedal assembly and master cylinder that will fit mx83 . if you are keen pm me with a reasonable offer

[Updated on: Mon, 18 October 2004 11:51]

pannelvan_screema
Regular

November 2002
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Mon, 18 October 2004 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any one got one for a MX-73??
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Mon, 18 October 2004 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pannelvan_screema wrote on Mon, 18 October 2004 22:39

You will have to make a bitsa from other Toyota's
(unless the MX83 set is somehow the same as the MX73 set.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 19 October 2004 00:56

pannelvan_screema wrote on Mon, 18 October 2004 22:39

You will have to make a bitsa from other Toyota's
(unless the MX83 set is somehow the same as the MX73 set.

I think norbie said once that it was the same as an MA61/RA6X one (think he said he knew ppl that had used them ok), but I'm not sure!

Cheers
Wilbo
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is NOT the same clutch pedal bracket as an xA6x
You cannot use this bracket with a custom stabiliser.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm in the same boat wanting to change to manual w58 for my ma70 turbo. It's really starting to add up, the gearbox is extremly hard to find, and i won't even bother with a R154 becuase of the price alone. I'd need all the extra bits (clutch stuff etc) aswell as w58 tailshaft, and lastly a manual ECU wich runs abit more boost stock.

i'm starting to think maybe i will just buy another auto :(-
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Tue, 19 October 2004 11:39

i'm starting to think maybe i will just buy another auto :(-

You WONT regret going to manual
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know, i miss manual so much.

i have to live with an auto that doesn't stay in gears, I had to show off the supra power (in a safe place) so i put the auto in L and attempted a burnout, but no! the auto shifts up to 2nd, and my pathetic 2nd gear burnouts gave everone the impression that my supra is shit. It's had me depressed for a few days now. Must get manual, not for burnouts just for better power delivery and fun changing gears.

Where can i get a W58? all the importers tell me there so rare to find these days! no one selling on toymods at the moment. And R154's are going for $1500+

Toyota gearboxes are in such high demand becuase all the comodore and falcon drivers want them too. :(-
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get a W57/W58 from an RA60/RA65 Celica that is wrecking.

Then you just need an M-series bellhousing, and an MA70 shifter position.

Getting a box is easy, its the bellhousing and shifter position that is hard.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wasn't aware w58's came out of old celica's. Thanx for that juicy bit. Makes things easier.

Does the tailshaft have to come out of a W58 equiped supra/cressida?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am led to beleive that the A340E tranny output shafter is larger than the W58 output shaft.
So you will need a W58 yoke.

Take your current shaft, and the W58 yoke to a driveshaft shop, and get them put together.
You will need to lengthen it anyway.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah right ok that makes sense. Altho it gets more expensive the more i look into it. I'd hate to know what it would cost to convert to a R154, i may aswell sell the supra and buy another one that is already manual Confused

thanx for the info Cruzida
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Tue, 19 October 2004 15:09

thanx for the info Cruzida

Hehe the local auto -> manual guru!

Cheers
Wilbo
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, damn straight.

Incidently, if you do do this conversion in the next week or 2, and you have the A340E yoke left over, I need one.
colouring_in_book
Regular

May 2004
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Someone in this thread has obviously carried out this conersion on their MX73.
What clutch pedal did they use?
And the parts list, are they genuine parts part numbers?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://oz-enet.com.au/~peewee/gbox_conv_1.html

I used a GX61 clutch pedal + bracket.
colouring_in_book
Regular

May 2004
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, that obviously didn't come from this country so I have been told.
How did you get hold of one?
As for the part numbers?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't need any part numbers.
What ones did you want specifically.
I can tell you were to get everything.

As for the clutch pedal bracket, it was a one in a million chance of finding probably the only manual GX61 in WA, and it was wrecking.
colouring_in_book
Regular

May 2004
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, thats fine.

I was just curios as to where I could find most of the gear that I needed but mainly required a location of a clutch pedal.
If I can get a hold of a GX61 clutch pedal, does it bolt straight up?

I think that I may have read it in your web page that the W50 is the easiest to install as the shifter position can be placed in the same position as the auto gear selector, is this correct?

Sorry for all of the shitty questions, but it just seems that everyone has all the if's but's and maybe's but no one actually has the hard info that is needed.

By the way, a huge thumbs up to you for going out on a limb and taking on the conversion out of yourown pocket and research.

Any help would be marvellous. Very Happy
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did that when I was a poor student, and a W58 was out of the question.

Using a W58 (or W55,W57 for that matter) is just as simple once you get hold of the correct bellhousing.

The correct shifter position is the one from GA70 and MA70 Supra's.
The RA6x and MA6x celica's and supra's have the wrong shifter position.

The GX61 bracket all most bolts up.
The height and angle are correct, but the bolt holes into the underside of the dash are about an inch out.
I drilled another hole in between the 2 holes in the bracket, and am using this.

But the position of the pedal is fine.

Good luck in finding the parts.
I'm not sure if MX62 or MX32/36 cressida's have the same clutch pedal bracket, as once I found the GX61, I stopped looking.
colouring_in_book
Regular

May 2004
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So, the GA and MA70's will fit with the right bellhousing, what is the right bellhousing?
Is it custom, or interchangeble with another box or something similar?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 19 October 2004 19:27

The GX61 bracket all most bolts up.
The height and angle are correct, but the bolt holes into the underside of the dash are about an inch out.
I drilled another hole in between the 2 holes in the bracket, and am using this.

But the position of the pedal is fine.

Good luck in finding the parts.
I'm not sure if MX62 or MX32/36 cressida's have the same clutch pedal bracket, as once I found the GX61, I stopped looking.

GX61's are pretty well MX62's with 1g's right? Well I know for a fact that ST141 and RA6X pedals are not a 100% bolt in fitment to a MX62 (so maybe ST141 and RA6X are a bolt in to MX73's? I don't know!). The ST141 and RA6X do bolt to the firewall fine, but do not bolt underside of the dash (fall short from reaching), I just made a bracket up. Also I had to bend the ST141 pedal I ended up using, and then chop off the foot piece (because of the bending it was sitting at a stupid angle!) and weld it back on level. Smile

Quote:

So, the GA and MA70's will fit with the right bellhousing, what is the right bellhousing?
Is it custom, or interchangeble with another box or something similar?

Prbly best to go off actual gearbox models, and not the cars they came out of. W55,W57 and W58's will all bolt up to the bellhousing (I got my gearbox out of a car I specifically wrecked, the price was right Smile, I mean heck it made me money, but it does have the crappiest ratios out of the bunch....)

On that note you will need a bellhousing out of either an MA61 (come with a 5me and w58 stock) or MA70 NON turbo (come with 7mge and w58 stock).

BTW in case you don't know I've done an auto -> manual on my MX62 (so I have been in the same boat from personal experience!), a little different I know, but slightly harder also if ya ask me (I had to modify my gearbox crossmember, shifter opening on the car and also the clutch pedal business seems harder than what andrew went through Razz) Wink

Cheers
Wilbo
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is also a manual conversion description on the main page of toyotacressida.com Cheers.Pete. Smile
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Tue, 19 October 2004 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a 7m manual bellhousing,flywheel.pressure plate etc in Brisbane.If interested email peterwj@tpg.com.au Cheers.Pete.
Browndog
Regular

November 2002
Re: Where 2 go 4 Cressida manual conversion Fri, 22 October 2004 09:14 Go to previous message
I think I will drive the auto around till after christmas and see what happens. Maybe I can talk somone into to the conversion for a good price. Perhaps I should start collecting parts, if they come up for the right price. I just dont want to wreck the cressida with a bodged conversion.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Mx 83 cressida
Next Topic:3sfe camry engine differences
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 08:40:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068600177764893 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.